The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7728 replies to this topic

#7661 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,225 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

It sounds like they're basically restarting Metroid Prime 4 from scratch with Retro this time, so... boy, that's going to take a while. I guess we don't have to worry about getting hyped to see it at every Nintendo Direct, because we definitely aren't going to see it any time soon. To be honest I wonder if it might end up missing the entire Switch generation; if it takes 3-4 years to make it's definitely possible. Samus might be staring down the barrel of a two-generation-long absence from Nintendo home consoles.

And I have to wonder what happens to the game Retro Studios has been making until now. The rumours said it was that Star Fox/F-Zero racer, but even those rumours were over a year ago and we never saw anything to even hint at them being real at any of Nintendo's shows. Hopefully whatever they have been working on hasn't been cancelled in favour of Prime 4. They haven't released a new game since Dankey Kang Trapical Freeze in 2013.

This is from the senior editor at Game Informer:

Qfd792m.jpg

I actually sold my Switch late last year, because it was already caked in dust and there was nothing I really wanted to play on it until Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and hopefully a Persona 5 port. I'll hop back onto the Switch train once the new, upgraded model comes out (whenever that ends up being).

#7662 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:00 PM

Rumours are heating up about this new Switch model thought to be releasing this year. We now have a report from Nikkei saying:

Nintendo will release a smaller version of Switch in 2019 that costs less, but removes features to emphasize portability

And an artist's mockup of what we might be looking at:

4d3cdf21.jpg

I hope it looks a little sleeker than that, but that's honestly my ideal idea of the Switch: a Vita-sized handheld with non-detachable controls, that can still attach to a dock and connect to a TV. I probably detached the JoyCons to play a game less than five times; I'd much prefer fixed controls in handheld mode and a Pro Controller on the TV.

#7663 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

I hope you've got your funderwear on, because it's Nintendo Direct time tomorrow:

I want to see that Wonderful 101 port and Bayonetta 3, please. Maybe the heavily-rumoured Metroid Prime Trilogy. Thank you in advance, Reggie.

#7664 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

No Bayonetta, but they did drop this Platinum bomb on us.

#7665 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 04:53 PM

Those human faces in Astral Chain look absolutely awful, but everything else looks fantastic and I need it now. The demon familiar thing on the chain reminds me of the Wonder Liner in The Wonderful 101, the way you're able to wrap your chain around things in combat. I can't wait to get a feel for how it plays.

In other Nintendo Direct news, they're making a full remake of Link's Awakening for the Switch, so here's our next 2D Zelda:

Here's your Fire Emblem update:

Oninaki is a new RPG from the director of Chrono Trigger and Parasite Eve:

And in other stuff that I don't want to embed a bunch of trailers for (see Nintendo's Youtube channel):

- Super Mario Maker 2 is coming to Switch

- Joker's going to come to Smash before April

- Final Fantasy IX is out today

- Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice is coming to Switch

- There's a demo of Daemon x Machina coming later today

- Bayonetta 3 is still in development, but no trailer *sigh*

#7666 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

Alright you guys, I have what might end up being the best rumour I ever post. I'm going to let the video thumbnail do the talking:

I'm going to die for real if this turns out to be true, and I know I say that a lot but this time it's true. Scalebound? Hideki Kamiya's white whale? Coming BACK? I can't take it.

#7667 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

REGGGGIIEEEEE

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#7668 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:34 PM

Reggie has a personal message for everyone on Twitter, too.

What a guy, it's sad to see him go. Even if he could sometimes launch into those wild, meaningless spumes of pure marketing speak, he was a whole lot of fun for all the time he spent as President. Considering just how unethical and cutthroat a lot of the CEOs in this industry are, Nintendo's had really great leadership over the years. And he's definitely going out on a high now that the Switch is doing so well for Nintendo. Farewell, Reggie. Your body is now ready for rest.

In other news, remember when Mass Effect Andromeda tanked and we all marveled at how Bioware could have screwed up such a sure thing? But, of course, that was the B-team, right? The real Bioware was hard at work on Anthem, and that was bound to be a huge hit. Well... so far Anthem is reviewing even worse than Andromeda did.

And, finally, Microsoft is apparently looking into bringing an Xbox app and Game Pass to... the Nintendo Switch? It sounds like Microsoft is getting into the streaming game, and maybe partnering up with Nintendo to let you stream Xbox One games on your Switch, which is insane to me but also really cool.

#7669 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:05 PM

Anthem is a helluva lot more fun to play than Andromeda was, that's for sure. The flying is so awesome and the combat is satisfying. It's a shame that it's reviewing poorly. People are just rushing through it, same as they did with Destiny and the Division. There's people with 100+ hours on it already complaining there's nothing to do... like, spread out your gameplay a little maybe? I don't get it.

#7670 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,919 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, people no life games and that's the constant reason for "There's no endgame content!" rant. Destiny, The Division, and Warframe all have people constantly saying that. When I'm bored while playing any of those 3 games, I try to find people to help. It feels good to help other players, teaching other in turn teaches you and you better understand the game, while going back lets you to see, hear, or do something differently, and it kills boredom.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#7671 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

I just played the first couple of hours of Anthem last night and I like it so far. Definitely a better start than Andromeda, at least. There's a bit more of that Bungie-style "Here are ten nouns you must memorise immediately if you want to understand what's going on" storytelling than I would like (Anthem, Cataclysm, Javelin, Freelancer, Bastion, Tarsis, etc. At least this game has a Codex :P), but I find a few of the characters genuinely endearing and it does feel great to fly. I'm only really in it for the main story, so we'll see how it goes from here.

OK, video game news! Sick of Nintendo getting all the new hardware rumour spotlight, Microsoft has entered the ring with some juicy Xbox Scarlet rumours courtesy of JeuxVideo (which is in French, so I'm linking to Gematsu's translation). We're looking at two different devices, one an entry-level streamign box named Lockhart (with no disc drive) and a higher-end machine codenamed Anaconda which will be more akin to a traditional Xbox. Both apparently have 1TB NVMe SSDs, which surprises me. They're reporting that these consoles will be announced at E3 2019 and released in 2020 with Halo Infinite and perhaps Ninja Theory's next game as launch titles.

And some more on the potential Nintendo/Microsoft teamup, it sounds like Microsoft wants to turn Game Pass into a near-universal streaming system. As in, download the Game Pass app on your Switch to stream Xbox games. Download the Game Pass app on your Smart TV, your phone, your whatever. Going all in on the 'Netflix for games' idea. The world is changing around us.

#7672 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

I just played the first couple of hours of Anthem last night and I like it so far. Definitely a better start than Andromeda, at least. There's a bit more of that Bungie-style "Here are ten nouns you must memorise immediately if you want to understand what's going on" storytelling than I would like (Anthem, Cataclysm, Javelin, Freelancer, Bastion, Tarsis, etc. At least this game has a Codex :P), but I find a few of the characters genuinely endearing and it does feel great to fly. I'm only really in it for the main story, so we'll see how it goes from here.

If you play more, make sure to explore the Fort inbetween missions. You'll find lots of cool lore, and as the story goes in you'll meet new characters to talk to that have their own little conversation-based story lines. Some recognizable voice talent in there too!

#7673 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:56 PM

#7674 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

OK, this one might be a megaton: our old pal Jade Raymond is now Vice President of the gaming division at Google.

And, furthermore, Google is holding a gaming-related keynote at GDC on March 19th. So I wonder what's going to come of all this. We miiiiight be about to see a fourth player enter the video game console market, but I would guess Google would be more interested in the same sort of subscription streaming service that Microsoft is trying to get into. They might sell a box that plays stuff, but the real money is having everyone in the world pay them a monthly fee to have their streaming app on whatever devices they might have. We'll see how it goes.

#7675 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,127 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:37 AM

Google also has a 37 second clip of possible real time game engine shiny. It's more than a little likely that it is thier console. Those 37 seconds basically says we are covering these genres. The detail is impressive as well. They could be on the same level as ps5/Xb4. Although I honestly have been expecting just another cloud service. Could be something more
<p><strong><span style="color:#3399ff;">Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.</span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="color:#000000;">PS5</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 12.9 Tflops <span style="color:#000000;"><strong>June? or Feb? 2020 <span style="font-size:10px;">Sony has gone off script. 2020 part is definite. </span></strong></span></p><p><strong><span style="color:#008000;">XB4</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 12 Tflops.  <strong>JUNE 2020</strong></p><p><strong><span style="color:#ff0000;"><span style="font-size:12px;">Switch 2/ Switch Go?</span></span></strong> - <span style="font-size:10px;">Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms.  </span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size:12px;">-<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.tapatalk...4gaming/'><spanstyle="color:#ff0000;">New Tapatalk thing. They destroyed my old board.</span></a></span>

#7676 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,127 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:08 AM

That Google teaser. Kinda impressive, but also with no spoken details so it's still kinda unknown. Could just be a cgi trailer for hype.

Added:

Also Crytek is showing off its Ray Tracing Tech Demo ahead of GDC.

Turtle Rock Studios’ hit game Left 4 Dead has still not been dethroned from the zombie genre even after a decade. Turtle Rock is returning with a brand new title called “Back 4 Blood”, a co-op zombie shooter for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and next-generation consoles with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment as the publisher.

Right now, we know just a handful of things about Back 4 Blood in a post made by a community manager at Turtle Rock Studios Forum. The game is a co-op zombie shooter with a campaign and PvP elements.

Warner Bros. claims the game will “advance the co-op zombie genre forward with innovative multiplayer gameplay,”

Also added: Turtle Rock is back and partnering up with WB Games to release Back 4 Blood. Which is basically a real spiritual successor, but they are launching it for Next Gen as well. Which is pretty awesome. Well I guess pretty much anything new is next generation next year. ;)

<p><strong><span style="color:#3399ff;">Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.</span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="color:#000000;">PS5</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 12.9 Tflops <span style="color:#000000;"><strong>June? or Feb? 2020 <span style="font-size:10px;">Sony has gone off script. 2020 part is definite. </span></strong></span></p><p><strong><span style="color:#008000;">XB4</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 12 Tflops.  <strong>JUNE 2020</strong></p><p><strong><span style="color:#ff0000;"><span style="font-size:12px;">Switch 2/ Switch Go?</span></span></strong> - <span style="font-size:10px;">Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms.  </span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size:12px;">-<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.tapatalk...4gaming/'><spanstyle="color:#ff0000;">New Tapatalk thing. They destroyed my old board.</span></a></span>

#7677 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

Google has announced their new gaming... thing. It's called Stadia, and it's a streaming service, not a box. I'm embedding the Digital Foundry video because it's honestly a lot more informative than the PR video Google put out:

gkKyhJ3.png

No price point revealed yet, but they do have a controller, and of course the controller has a microphone in it so they can get their Google Home listening tech into your house to advertise to you better. I assume you'll pay a monthly fee and download the Stadia app on whatever device you might have that'll support it. The controller apparently connects through WiFi, so you don't actually have to pair it to the device you're using, which is interesting. Doom Eternal is apparently confirmed for Stadia, and I guess Assassin's Creed Odyssey since it's what they seem to be doing all their demonstrations with.

I don't know, seems cool. Apparently you need about 25Mbps to stream 1080p 60FPS, though, and 30+ for 4K, so... that's me out. I get 11Mbps on a good day. Frankly I doubt they'll even roll out the service in Australia anyway, or many other countries in the world for that matter, but I'll be interested to see how it goes all the same.

But in news about games I can play, how about this?

And also, there's been some kind of Vampire The Masquerade thing being teased for the last couple of months, which is finally coming to fruition on March 21st.

#7678 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,127 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:15 AM

What I find interesting about Stadia. They are telling you the specs.

Edit Custom (INTEL or ARM) CPU. AMD GPU 10.7 Tflops, 16GB of HBM2 RAM sounds entirely like the rumors of PS5/XB4 except Navi is being utilized for Ps5/Xb4. So we could see more powerful consoles. They aimed for this so they can easily port everything over to the platform for the next 5+ years.

#7679 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,225 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:10 PM

If anyone's wondering what that sound was, it's the sound of ALL THE WALLS CRASHING DOWN.

So we start with Google joining the world of video games, of course.

Next thing is the formerly-Microsoft-exclusive Cuphead coming to the Switch, with Xbox Live support. Are you going to be able to get Achievements in a Switch game?

Not to be outdone on losing former exclusives, Sony's formerly-exclusive games from Quantic Dream, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls and Detroit: Become Human, are all coming to PC, exclusive to the Epic Games Store.

And speaking of 'exclusive to the Epic Games Store', Epic has splashed that Fortnite cash to moneyhat Obsidian's The Outer Worlds, Remedy's Control, and apparently 'several major PC releases' from Ubisoft.

In short, the world as we know it has been turned upside down and nobody knows where it's going to go from here. Everything is getting both less and more exclusive at the same time, Microsoft is Nintendo, video game consoles are old news and apparently we're just skipping straight over dedicated streaming boxes into just streaming to whatever you have on you at any given moment.

#7680 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,127 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 11:58 AM

Google has kinda killed my interest in their platform. Streaming is just way to pricey. Latency and so on. Google is promising the exact same thing OnLive did in its live demonstrations. The CPU isn't AMD's by the way. I honestly thought it was just another APU thing, but nope. 

Of course Sony is coping Nintendo with Playstation Direct coming Tomorrow is there first episode. So instead of getting a known PS5 reveal date and details like at E3 we get episodes to speculate when and where it is to show up between now and E3 or after E3 with hype every time an episode is to be announced. Sony WHY?

Some of that good old GDC stuff.

You guys seen Quixel's Unreal Engine 4 tech demo? Basically its mass environment scanning tech. So think Pretty rocks.

Vampire Bloodlines 2. A sequel to a game made 15 years ago. Could be interesting.

Unreal Engine 4 Destruction.

Dreams GDC video.

Epic gives 1 hour Talk on Unreal Engine. Including a grant program for game development.

New Oddworld game

Untity's GDC full show (SKIP to AN HOUR AND 8 minites...Literally an Hour of a screen staring back at you.) 

Also there is a talk of OpenXR at GDC its basically long winded talk from a dude about the platform so I left it off. Its basically a VR/AR API. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users