• Please log in to reply
4358 replies to this topic

#4281 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Pretty much, yeah. It irritates and bores me. When you actually dissect it it's always just overly-complex conveyance of really simple concepts. In a Star Wars setting it doubly annoys me because I already really dislike SW stories with too much Force-related mumbo-jumbo.

There's also the fact that he clearly writes a lot of it as one long monologue by the character and breaks it up after the fact with player dialogue options that all just lead to the next monologue segment. Not how you want to write dialogue in an RPG.

also he uses the phrase "the why of it" way too much and it irks me

EDIT: Relevant. :P (Obligatory languij warning)

Edited by God-Emperor Thrawnie, 14 December 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#4282 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:03 PM

EDIT: Relevant. :P (Obligatory languij warning)

Frickin' LOL. Pretty spot on.

I can definitely understand that point of view, though I still like most of his stuff. I agree about too much Force-mumbo-jumbo SW stories (one reason I was really interested in 1313... R.I.P.), and yet, I personally loved Kreia's dissection of the Jedi and Sith and her desire to destroy the Force. She did tend to drone on, but at least she was more interesting than Malak in KOTOR1, who was as one-dimensional and cliché as bad guys come.

Of course, the best MCA story is Planescape Torment, where his dialogue is perhaps a better fit with the bizarre setting.

He certainly offered some dialogue options in that one!:

nature.png

Lots of Torment vibes in KOTOR2... like the key phrase "apathy is death" in place of "what can change the nature of a man". But Obsidian must have tired of Avellone's rambling dialogues too, considering what happened with PoE and after. :P I'd still totally help Kickstart a self-indulgent Avellone long-winded dialogue simulator though...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#4283 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:12 PM

Every time you call him "MCA" I think of the Beastie Boys, lol.

Yeah, in PS:T his style is less obnoxious since the game is basically just an interactive novel anyway. Though that said I'm not really a fan of PS:T either, I kinda view it the way I view the LOTR books: I appreciate it as something with artistic/literary value, but it's just not my thing personally.

#4284 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,865 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Just finshed playing the free story DLC for Battlefront II, 'Resurrection'. It was an enjoyable, 2~ hour romp, blasting baddies and what not, but it didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know story-wise, nor does it expand upon the First Order in any meaningful way other than "Remember the Empire? It's the First Order now, suprise!". At least the ending set it up for more post-TLJ content, possibly to bridge the gap between episodes VIII Aand IX. Hopefully that hypothetical content will also be free, but this is an EA property so I won't be getting my hopes up.

Hey Ocelot, you enjoyed Battlefront II's singleplayer right? You should give it a try.

#4285 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,023 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:49 PM

Just finshed playing the free story DLC for Battlefront II, 'Resurrection'. It was an enjoyable, 2~ hour romp, blasting baddies and what not, but it didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know story-wise, nor does it expand upon the First Order in any meaningful way other than "Remember the Empire? It's the First Order now, suprise!". At least the ending set it up for more post-TLJ content, possibly to bridge the gap between episodes VIII Aand IX. Hopefully that hypothetical content will also be free, but this is an EA property so I won't be getting my hopes up.

Hey Ocelot, you enjoyed Battlefront II's singleplayer right? You should give it a try.

Yeah, I already got rid of my copy of Battlefront 2, but I watched a playthrough of the DLC on Youtube. I honestly don't know why they held it back for the release of The Last Jedi, other than to just try and manufacture some hype and eke out a few more sales, I suppose. It doesn't really have anything to do with TLJ; I'm pretty sure it finishes before TLJ even starts, right?

I guess I'll do spoilers, though I don't know if anyone really cares about the characters in EA's loot-box-'em-up :P

Spoiler

#4286 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

Been trying to get back into Obsidian's little one-off RPG called Tyranny. It kinda came out of nowhere, so unexpectedly and with such an unusual setting and aesthetic that it was hard to really grasp what they were going for. I think that's why it failed to sell or attract much attention.

But it's not bad, really. In some ways I feel like it was a more inspired production than Pillars of Eternity, which felt so dry most of the time. The combat is a bit more dynamic with the team-up combos and such, although I'm still not crazy about it. The latest Obsidian games have pretty much converted me into a Turn-Based Fanboy... Real Time With Pause is just too hard to get right. I'm not totally crazy about the art style, but at least it's interesting and not too hideous. I like the Bronze Age setting they were going for too, although I feel like the whole "world where the Evil Overlord won" thing would have been better served by a straight-up Cliché Fantasy vibe, with tall spiked Black Towers and monster hordes and stuff. Or at least some Conan-style snake headdresses and stuff. I dunno, it just doesn't feel EVIL enough, ya know? How about some undead or demons, at least?

But the best thing I've encountered is, of course: the choices and consequences. The intro sequence where you go through an entire campaign of conquest and make decisions was neat. And there are plenty of reputation trackers. I hope they all amount to something.

I still can't quite get into it, but maybe at some point the plot will twist a little and grab me. I'm hoping.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#4287 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:04 AM

My PC is showing it's age at 7 years old and it's been through a lot - five house moves, university, the start of my career... it was never meant to be a high end PC - just enough juice to enjoy games on high settings for a couple of years and then med settings on newer games for the rest of it's life. I've added RAM and swapped graphics cards to keep it going and it can currently play Battlefield 1 on med/low settings (multiplayer) which is fine. But I think it really has hit a brick wall now and it will need a new motherboard and CPU before new games become unplayable. 

Having said that - I don't buy new games anymore anyway because in the last few years I've had a tendency to hop between multiple games and I'm not normally able to complete something because whenever I try and come back to a game I feel the need to start all over again. It's a pain as my harddrive space is rationed and I can't get anything new until I clear my list. On the plus side, by the time I get anything new it's normally on sale for nearly nothing.

• I'm attempting one last playthrough of SKYRIM as I've never played the DLC. It will be sweet relief to get that game and all it's GB of mods off my harddrive.
  • I'm going to start a playthrough of KOTOR soon for a nostalgia blast.
  • I'm dabbling in Kerbal SP again - restarted career for the umpteenth time.

Once I've dealt with Skyrim I'm going to try and get the Witcher (1) finished so I can move on to the later games. Witcher is an absolute ballache to get through but this is not because it isn't a good game (it's actually great and I would have loved it at the time of it's release) it's because of my tendencies to not sit on one game for too long. 

#4288 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Wanted Dead or Alive

• Nova Patron
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

Currently downloading Battlefront 2, because my soul was sold as soon as that game was announced I guess.  :shrug:

Will return at some point to praise/complain about the game.

#4289 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

Been playing Mass Effect: Andromedary, which I got for Christmas.

It's not that bad. It's certainly a Mass Effect game, and I had been kinda missing playing a Mass Effect type game. Though, I also think that was one of the game's major weaknesses: it's just more Mass Effect. There's no unique draw here - nothing to make you go "Hey! Cool!" Your character travels in a sleeper ship for 600+ years to reach the Andromeda galaxy, and it's just the same. There's a new Citadel under construction, you have a new Normandy knockoff, there are mysterious Prothean Remnant ruins, and all the aliens are still humanoid bipeds who use very similar weapons and technology. Because let's face it: the whole Andromeda thing was basically a soft reboot of the universe so they wouldn't have to deal with all the major choices you made in the trilogy. Which could have been fine, if they had added something new to the mix. Like the ability to directly control your ship and fly around the galaxy like in Freelancer. Or the option to play as an alien, like a turian or asari. Or at least a new type of story, like being the captain of a criminal smuggler crew or something. I mean, I guess you're explorers instead of military this time, but it just feels like the same old thing except less serious.

But hey, the new engine is nice. You can drive around on planets again like in ME1, but now there's a lot more to do... if you're into that sort of thing. I mean, it's basically the open world stuff from Dragon Age Inquisition, which bored me to tears, but... well, there it is. It's okay I guess. I like being able to run around more freely (areas are much bigger and less linear) and jump with the jetpack and stuff, but the combat feels a little too... loose, to me. Especially in the wide open world, with all the randomly-placed cover objects that never seem quite tall enough and are super easy for the enemy to flank. Doesn't seem like an improvement over previous games, imo.

The game shares another, much bigger problem that DA:I had too: since there are no Paragon vs. Renegade dialogue options, all of your choices just seem boring. I really think that, if EA ever lets Bioware make more RPGs again, they should bring back the Red vs. Blue dialogue system, because at least it gets the writers to write dialogue options with OOMPH. I wanna grab collars and shove my guns in peoples' faces, dammit! Not just choose whether I should accept the quest, or make a snarky joke while accepting the quest.   :rolleyes:

Anyway, I know I'm not very good at coming up with positive things to say, but honestly, it's not a terrible game. I kinda feel like the Internet was unduly hard on it because of a few slip-ups, the new dev team, and the odd tone of some of the dialogue (which is 80% due to "Peebee", who is unbearable). Since the game only costs like $10-$15 now, it's worth picking up if you're in the mood for a new Mass Effect adventure. At least, it feels that way so far. Haven't reached the ending yet, so the jury's still out on the choices & consequences.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#4290 DragonJedi

DragonJedi

"Dead-Eye Jargon"

• Nova Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

Been playing through the borderlands franchise with my little brother, loving it.

#4291 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

Picked up a slew of games in the wake of holiday sales, and the one I've spent the most time with, enamored, was South Park: The Fractured, But Whole (Say it out loud.)

Now Stick of Truth back in 2014 was good, albeit highly simple RPG with turn-based combat. FBW more or less sticks to the same roots, but ups the complexity in nearly every area.

Without going into the plot too much (It's South Park, half the fun is knowing what kind of crap Matt and Trey are gonna dig at unexpectedly.) The game picks up some time after Stick of Truth, in which we assume King Douchebag decided they wanted to rejoin the LARP, until a visit from the Coon (Cartman) during a climactic battle ends up causing everyone to switch to playing superheroes. This leaves New Kid at the bottom of the totem pole once again, joining up with the superheroes to both do civil war against a rival superhero 'franchise' and investigate a missing cat which spirals into one involving actual crime.

HWi0cwk.png

Stick of Truth was highly simplistic turn based combat, Here, combat now takes place on a grid, forcing the player to think about movement, how to attack or defend against enemies, from where, with what, etc. This leads to some pretty interesting and creative battles, including some boss battles that flip everything on its head, keeping player creativity paramount and providing challenge.

In conclusion my current version of New Kid/King Douchebag/The Amazing Butthole

NKPdjiU.png

Also, here's the best boss battle character splash page ever.

Spoiler

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo Infinite  - TBA (PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#4292 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,023 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

Alright, baby, this morning I finally, finally finished Dai Gyakuten Saiban, a.k.a. The Great Ace Attorney. I don't want to seem like I'm glad it's over, since I really enjoyed it, but oh man it took me forever! 68 hours, according to me 3DS's Activity Log, more than twice as long as any other Ace Attorney game. Going by what I've read, it doesn't actually seem like an especially long game for native Japanese speakers, but because it's an entirely-Japanese game set between Victorian London and post-Restoration Japan, there's a whole lot of period-specific language and grammar I had to teach myself along the way in order to understand it, so half that playtime was probably me using a dictionary :P

So, for those of you who don't remember the last post I made about this game (which was in NOVEMBER last year oh God I've been playing this game forever), this game is about an ancestor of Phoenix Wright, Ryunosuke Naruhodou, and his adventures as a law exchange student in London. You do the typical Ace Attorney thing of investigating cases and defending your clients, with some minor changes to the standard rhythm (London has juries that you'll have to convince, for example). You become besties with Sherlock Holmes, meet a whole cast of wonderfully quirky, off-beat characters, feel that brilliantly video-game-y feeling of solving the case alongside your characters and nailing the bad guy with a perfectly delivered "OBJECTION!" (or in this case "意義あり!"). It's really good. Dai Gyakuten Saiban was written and directed by Shu Takumi, the fellow who created Ace Attorney in the first place but left the main series after the first three games and... well, I think it shows? I enjoyed DGS more than AA4, 5 or 6, at least. I don't know if it's quite as good as the original three games, but I also don't want to go comparing one single game to a trilogy.

What I do want to do is immediately play the sequel, though, because DGS 1 leaves a few tantalising plot threads hanging that I can't wait to see followed up on. It's not exactly a cliffhanger, but there are various story threads in the game that get built up and then don't end up going anywhere, and from what I've heard they're all solved in the sequel, so I'll be starting that tonight.

I also played a chunk of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on that there Nintendo Switch, and it seems like a good one of those games. I played the first ten hours or so and I liked them, but I don't think I want to play another 90 hours. It's just really not what I'm in the mood for right now, I suppose. Much like the first Xenoblade, it's a gigantic RPG, with enoooormous levels for you to traverse between towns, giant monsters for you to kill, a fun story full of anime tropes for you to enjoy and a nice cast of characters to bro out with. I really don't like the art style, but it can be a very pretty game when it wants to be. It can also be surprisingly ugly at times, with one of those adaptive resolution systems that feels like it can drop right down to 480p when the going gets tough. The first giant open-world vista you see genuinely looks like something from an early 360 game; it's kind of a shame they couldn't squeeze some more performance out of the Switch.

I really enjoy the multi-accented cast, probably more than anything else in the game. Your main dude is a Northerner, but you quickly meet a girl with a wonderfully thick Welsh accent, and a big guy who sounded like a for-realsies Aussie to me, not just your standard American doing what he thinks is an Australian accent. There's one bad guy lady with a posh Scottish accent, and then her underlings have decidedly-less posh Scottish brogues. There's a whole section of the game where you fight through an airship full of soldiers who just constantly cycle through the only two soundbytes they have: "THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME?" and "DON'T FORGET ME!" in angry Scottish accents, and it's a treat for the ears:

The combat system is pretty interesting, much the same as XC1 but this time you have to stand still for your auto-attacks to come out. Your special moves build up as your auto-attacks connect, and there's no mana pool or consumable items so there's no reason not to use them. The special moves hit harder if you time them to when an auto-attack connects, but then you have to decide whether you can afford to wait or if you want to blast them immediately. Then you get some ultra-special attacks that you can combo with your AI partners, but only certain elemental affinities can combo with other ones and it seems like it's mostly down to picking the right team of three party members. It seems like more than enough complexity to keep you going for a 100 hour playthrough, though.

So I played up to the end of Chapter 3, but I think I'm probably going to scrub through a Youtube playthrough to see the more important story beats from here on because I just don't have the time for such a long game right now. I could just feel my patience starting to drain when one of the characters laid out our plan to assault the enemy airship... but then told me I had to go and find some parts for him to finish his robot buddy before could go and do it. Oh JRPGs; I know fans of the genre don't mind this stuff, but I just can't face it right now :P

I've been blasting through some Wolfenstein The New Order, too, and it's great. It's remarkable just how much better at this video game business Machine Games has become between this game and The New Colossus in a few short years. The New Order looks downright ugly at times, whereas The New Colossus is a gorgeous game, and they've become so much more confident in their storytelling, too. I don't mean to dump on The New Order, because I am enjoying it a lot, but I just think it's crazy that these dudes got so good at making video games so quickly.

#4293 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Wanted Dead or Alive

• Nova Patron
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

So, here are my thoughts on Battlefront 2:

I honestly enjoy the multiplayer modes instead of the campaign. I especially enjoy Starfighter assault, since I can actually rack up killstreaks in it. The only problem is that the progression system is broken, and EA is going to have to do more than remove the option to buy lootcrates in order to fix the game.

As for the campaign:

Spoiler

A Star Wars game that I am enjoying, even thought I haven't played much of it yet, is Knights of the Old Republic. I enjoy the story so much that I can look past the Half-Life era graphics and clunky gameplay (which I probably think is clunky because I haven't played a game like this before). 

#4294 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

What if I told you, I managed to find a way to make Fallout 3 work on PC with little to no effort with Windows 7 and newer?  A wizard you may call me.  But alas, I have, indeed, found away to get Fallout 3 working on my crappy little laptop running Windows 8 until I can get my main machine back up and running again.  

And, well.  It's Fallout 3.  Did mod it quite a bit too.  Mostly cosmetic stuff.  FO3 doesn't have as much interesting mods as New Vegas.  But it still has good amount, may of which I may install on my main machine.  Surpisingly though, I've actually been getting LESS crashes in Fallout 3 than I would with New Vegas.  With NV, it would be crash, crash, crash, especially in the Mojave.  With FO3?  I think I've had, like, 4-5 crashes max through my entire playthough, after probably 15-20 hours.  And even then, a couple sets of crashes I believe were due to mods and one was just the sheer amount of stuff in such a close area in Mothership Zeta.  

Still, it's Fallout 3 on something where I can actually aim normally.  Can't really complain all to much, especially since I've been wanting to replay FO3 for a really long time.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to shove my laptop in my mini-fridge, because I was not lying about it being crappy.  On mid to low settings and it starts cooking.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#4295 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

Man, I have such mixed feelings about Mass Effect Andromeda. On the one hand, I'm enjoying playing it. On the other hand, it's such so much unimaginative wasted potential.

As I roam around the oPeN wOrLdZ, I keep thinking "Isn't this game supposed to be about exploration?" Intrepid space-adventurers plunging into a whole new galaxy and charting the unknown? Because it's not that at all. Every single world is very much inhabited, with friendly settlements and enemy camps and supposedly ancient ruins that are teeming with activity. When you arrive on a new planet, Ryder talks to the robot in his head (whom I hate, ugh) and maps out everything there is to do and see. Humans, turians, asari, salarians, and krogan only arrived in this galaxy a few years ago, supposedly, but somehow they're everywhere, including groups of rebels, pirates, and outlaws. I'm gunning down hundreds of my fellow settlers. What the heck?

The maps are kinda fun to explore, sure, but they suffer from what's sometimes called "theme park" map design. There can't be too much empty space or sameness (like there is in the real world) - no, there has to be something different for the player to do every few feet, or we might get bored. Remember those ME1 planets that were just big squares of nothingness, with a few pre-fab settlements plopped down in the corners if you were lucky? Sure, they got old, but at least they felt unexplored. They were much more immersive, to my mind. The Andromeda planets are just "oh, here's another oPeN wOrLd to blunder around in, where the only major settlement on the entire planet just happens to be right beside the three ancient alien towers I need to activate to terraform the atmosphere." Convenient!

And come on, only TWO native aliens races? And one is just a 'corrupted' version of the other? And both just happen to be humanoid bipeds with stunningly similar weapons and technology to our own? To the point that the medkits and ammo boxes located even in the depths of ancient alien ruins are still compatible with me and my gear? Just for lore sake, they should have dumped the medkits and "heat" clips and gone back to ME1's infinite-ammo guns, and maybe regenerating health. Because those convenient boxes of ammo and health in every combat zone really break the immersion. WHERE IS THE WEIRD STUFF?? It reminds me of Star Trek Voyager, where they accidentally got stuck on the other side of the galaxy, deep in unexplored space, and found... some more people with bumps on their heads.

Yet, despite all my complaining, I keep feeling like it's a shame how the game was so lambasted on the Internet and apparently bombed commercially, because it's not terrible, and boy is it HUGE! I recently thought I had finished all of the major planets and decided to get back to the main storyline, only to have it unlock TWO MORE giant worlds. I can only imagine the man hours that went into all this stuff, and I haven't even seen the multiplayer. But I do feel like this work could have been better spent. Should have siphoned some of the resources from these open worlds into more branching quests & story, IMO. I've run into a few decent choices and even some trigger prompts (like my beloved ME3 Renegade Triggers), but I wish there were a LOT more. THAT's the kind of stuff I (used to) play BioWare games for, not all of this running around and gathering resources and bla bla bla.

'Course all of this is just a post-mortem since the game is dead. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving my mako around in the graveyard of a dev studio. I just hope the ending isn't too much of a cliffhanger, lol.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#4296 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,023 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:35 AM

'Course all of this is just a post-mortem since the game is dead. Sometimes I feel like I'm driving my mako around in the graveyard of a dev studio. I just hope the ending isn't too much of a cliffhanger, lol.

I'm really enjoying your trek through this game, Scorp. I feel almost obligated to play this game at some point, since at one point I loved Mass Effect so much, but even now that it's basically free on that EA Access thing it still seems like such a huge time commitment. I don't know if I can handle another giant, hundred-hour, base-building resource-collect-athon, so I feel like when I do play it I'll probably just stick as close to the main story path and character loyalty missions as I can, but then I wonder if I'm going to get saddled with a bad ending for not exhaustively completing every planet's checklist or something.

As for me, I've been going back to the ol' Wii U well to clear up a few games I started years ago and never finished. Nintendo has started porting the Wii U's best games over to the Switch, so I think I'm probably going to sell the old girl before too long. We had our fun, Wii U, but once I can play Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 on my Switch I'm afraid you and your goofy Fisher Price tablet controller are out on your ear.

I started with Star Fox Zero, and boy was it a rude awakening picking that game back up halfway through after like two years away. That game is hard enough to play even when you actually remember the controls, so trying to learn them all on the fly is a nightmare. For those of you who don't remember, Star Fox Zero has a standard third-person, behind-the-spaceship camera on the TV screen for you to fly your ship around, and then on the Gamepad screen you have a first-person perspective from inside the cockpit. Each controls independently, so you can fly in one direction and shoot in another, which I still think is a neat idea. You need to use both views at once to get anything done, because your aiming reticle on the TV screen doesn't actually show where your shots will go, while the Gamepad screen doesn't show where your ship is flying, so you can easily fly into walls or miss a bunch of enemy projectiles that are flying your way.

Unfortunately, as a standard-issue human being, I come equipped with two eyeballs that can only look at one thing at a time, so playing this game is kind of a nightmare. You need to be constantly switching your attention between these two screens to get anything done, craning your neck up and down, refocusing your eyeballs, and inevitably looking at the wrong one all the time. I ended up having to lean right back, pull my knees up and rest my hands on top of them so I could keep the Gamepad and the TV screen close enough to eachother that I could switch between them with relative ease, and then I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't put the Gamepad's view on the TV screen in some kind of picture-in-picture setup and avoid all this nonsense.

Making things worse is that flying the ship uses regular analogue stick controls, but aiming from inside the cockpit uses the Gamepad's motion controls, and the right analogue stick doesn't move your camera but rather does all the canned aerobatic moves like barrel rolls and Cuban 8s, and then there's one button that's used purely for recentre-ing your camera when the motion controls go screwy, and then there are also like three different kinds of vehicle you have to control throughout the campaign and they all have completely different control schemes AND THEY'RE ALL INEXPLICABLY TERRIBLE. There are some pretty cool bossfights, which are more or less the only parts of the game that show that Platinum was involved in its development, but for the most part it's just a really frustrating experience. It's also over in four hours; it's obviously one of those games that wants you to replay it forever to get better scores, but... no thanks.

I moved on to Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, which is just such a delightful game. Captain Toad, my favourite character in all Mario-dom, is a platformer character missing one crucial ability: he can't jump. He's got a big adventurer's rucksack that's too heavy for him to leave the ground, you see. So his own personal game is a series of discrete puzzle box levels full of levers to pull and mechanisms to actuate that'll create all manner of ramps, staircases, elevators and other stuff that'll let him get where he needs to go. Each level feels kind of like a little 3D dollhouse that you have to manipulate, looking at every little nook and cranny from every direction to spot hidden paths and find every little collectible you can on your way to the exit. And then when you finish them the game will reveal a hidden extra objective to give you a reason to go back in and play them a different way the next time. It's good stuff; Nintendo cobbled the game together on the cheap using assets and code from Super Mario 3D World, but it resulted in such a darling little game. I hope they do another one on the Switch with Mario Odyssey assets.

And speaking of, I've been steadily making my way through Super Mario 3D World, too. This game has never really grabbed me, and to be honest it only feels worse now that we're in this post-Super-Mario-Odyssey world. This setup of picking small discrete levels from a world map, finding the three things in them and getting to the end just feels so... I don't know, small time next to  Odyssey's sprawling playgrounds bristling with fun things to find. They all have timers on them, too, like they don't even want you to explore. And there's so much less you can do in this one. They've taken out all the fun 3D Mario moves; no triple jump, no mid-air shenanigans, no kind of melee attack unless you're wearing a costume. I know the side flip is in there, because I've done it a couple of times by accident, but I can't get it to work when I try to do it intentionally, and it doesn't seem much higher than a standard jump anyway. This game is essentially just running and jumping. You don't even have free camera control!

But, I mean, it was Nintendo's big 3D Mario for the Wii U, and there is still fun to be had. It's just a very rigid, locked-down kind of fun. You can have your fun, you just have to have it the way Nintendo's laid it out for you, no complaints. And, I mean, Nintendo knows how to make fun games, but there's something so subversively satisfying about the way Mario Odyssey's extra moves and freedom let you skip big chunks of the levels that's totally missing here. I'll at least finish it, but Nintendo can't stop me from imagining I'm playing Odyssey the whole time :P

#4297 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

So I played up to the end of Chapter 3, but I think I'm probably going to scrub through a Youtube playthrough to see the more important story beats from here on because I just don't have the time for such a long game right now. I could just feel my patience starting to drain when one of the characters laid out our plan to assault the enemy airship... but then told me I had to go and find some parts for him to finish his robot buddy before could go and do it. Oh JRPGs; I know fans of the genre don't mind this stuff, but I just can't face it right now :P

Man, I love this game to death but I don't blame you for dropping out. I just finished up my playthrough which clocked out at 94:47:04 and there's still a load of sidequests I haven't done, and like 6 gachapon blades I haven't gotten yet.

I think I'm gonna finally get through the rest of Persona 5 now.

#4298 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,023 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 07:29 AM

Man, I love this game to death but I don't blame you for dropping out. I just finished up my playthrough which clocked out at 94:47:04 and there's still a load of sidequests I haven't done, and like 6 gachapon blades I haven't gotten yet.

Does Nia get any lines better than "I'LL BASH YOU UP PROPER NEXT TIME I SWEAR!" or am I right in assuming that's the best thing ever?

I've moved on to Pikmin 3, which, despite having owned all three Pikmin games for years, is the first one in the series I've ever played (I swear I can stop buying games any time I like :P), and I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to be able to finally 'put a name to a face', as it were. I've been reading and hearing about Pikmin since the Gamecube days, but I honestly didn't know how they actually played until now. I mean, I knew it was a strategy game, but as for the actual nitty-gritty of playing it? No idea.

But it's cool! In short, you play as a little man in a spacesuit being followed around by cadre of 100 little creatures with flowers on their heads who simply cannot wait to do your bidding. Your basic method of interacting with the world is to literally throw Pikmin at things and see what happens; if it's a living thing the Pikmin will try to kill it, if it's an edible, useful or formerly-living thing then the Pikmin will try and carry it back to your spaceship by the shortest possible route. The only other thing your character can do is blow on a whistle to call your Pikmin back to clump up around you again, and that's more or less what you'll do for the entire game. Throw Pikmin at things, call them back.

The strategy is, of course, in divvying up your little creatures into performing the tasks they're best-suited for (different-coloured Pikmin can do different things), keeping them safe from predators, and making sure you're using your time efficiently all the while. You play as a team of deep space adventurers sent out into the galaxy to bring home food for your resource-depleted home planet (SOCIAL COMMENTARYYYY), and thus your main task is to explore the planet for giant fruits that you can bring back to your ship and synthesise into food, but you can't afford to go exploring after dark so you have to make hay while the sun shines. Essentially, the sunlight hours form a time limit on any given 'level', and every day you spend exploring will eat into the same food stores you're trying to collect (since your characters need to eat, too). It's an interesting way of encouraging efficiency and keeping you a little stressed, knowing you can't afford to waste time out there, without being overly punishing, I think. I'm managing to save more than I spend right now, but I'm not exactly rolling in food, either.

The planet is split up into regions, which are basically big but tortuously-interconnected levels to explore, where you'll start every day from the same spaceship landing zone, but gradually unlock various shortcuts (by building bridges or knocking down walls, for example) that'll allow you quicker access to different areas. Your first day in a given region might be spent doing nothing but finding a bunch of dead ends but managing to build half a bridge and killing a few predators. The next day you'll start over from the same launching pad but any progress you've made will carry over, so those predators you've killed will still be dead, and that bridge will be waiting for you to finish it, and once you do you'll be able to reach uncharted territory. There's a main goal in each level, usually a vital piece of spaceship technology being protected by a big ol' boss monster, but the game leaves it up to you to find it, and to spend your time as you will in the meantime. It's a really satisfying gameplay loop, I think; I'm already planning all the things I'm going to do tomorrow (both the game's tomorrow and my own).

As far as I know, Pikmin 3's big new feature is that you have three Captain characters at once, so you can split your group into smaller teams to get things done. Sometimes you'll come across areas you can't reach normally, but if you throw one Captain across a gap or up a ledge, and throw a few Pikmin after him, you can then switch to that Captain, call those Pikmin over to you and go exploring as a little subsquad. It's a little clumsy to split up like that, and I'm kind of dreading the inevitable bossfight where I have to do it under pressure, but I suppose we'll see how that goes when I come to it.

EDIT - This game is crazily addictive. There's always something more you can do out there in Pikmin land, and it's the type of fairly low-intensity gameplay that you can sit down and play for hours without even realising it. Well, it can also be super stressful, but the game is set up in such a way that you decide when you want the stressful bits to happen. I've just been playing around with some new blue Pikmin that can move around underwater, and their introduction serves as a nice way of getting you used to splitting up into sub-squads to move around the world (since you don't want to take non-blue Pikmin into the water). Ooh, I tell you, it scratches that itch for exploring, building shortcuts, making progress. I just picked up a stranded Captain from a different planet, and he stole out of my spaceship in the night and took all my hard-earned food with him, but now that I'm better at this game I'm gathering up a new supply of food way faster than I did the first time around. It feels good.

I assume you could also turn this game into an exercise in pure multi-tasking efficiency and finish the whole thing in as few days possible, which I'll have to spend some time on Youtube watching, but I don't think I'm at that level yet :P

#4299 Guest_Ninelfaf_*

Guest_Ninelfaf_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:00 AM

Currently playing through Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3 and Titanfall. Id played Sleeping Dogs/Far Cry 3 on Xbox before, but decided to go through again on PC. Super glad I did. Both look ridiculously good. Titanfall is okay, not as good as I had expected.

#4300 Sleighbell-Scorpion

Sleighbell-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,924 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

I'm really enjoying your trek through this game, Scorp. I feel almost obligated to play this game at some point, since at one point I loved Mass Effect so much, but even now that it's basically free on that EA Access thing it still seems like such a huge time commitment. I don't know if I can handle another giant, hundred-hour, base-building resource-collect-athon, so I feel like when I do play it I'll probably just stick as close to the main story path and character loyalty missions as I can, but then I wonder if I'm going to get saddled with a bad ending for not exhaustively completing every planet's checklist or something.

I know what you mean. Pro tip: Look under the "Allies and Relationships" section of your Journal and do the missions clearly marked "Loyalty Mission" (in orange text). They will eventually show up there as long as you talk to your crew on a fairly regular basis. They are the only side-quests worth playing, as far as I've seen. Most of the others are just lots and lots of running all over the damn place and shooting a metric ton of dudes.

Unfortunately, no matter how much I dislike open worlding, I suffer from a crippling case of "completionitis", which requires me to be distracted by every single thing. Like, "I'm just going to do Cora's loyalty mission on this planet and then leave... but this other quest is right there along the way, so I might as well do that real quick too... and then this one... and this..." I'm the guy who, when I encounter a branching hallway, always tries to choose the "wrong" path in order to make sure I don't miss any loot. So I've done almost everything. :P

Some other random notes on Mass Effect Andromeda:

• SAM (the robot in your head) is super annoying. He says the same lines over and over and over. Every time you enter a hazard zone, or leave a hazard zone, or turn on your mining computer, etc. etc. etc. And he only reminds you to turn on your mining computer after you've already turned it on. How could anyone have play-tested this game without noting how annoying this is?
  • The guy who voices Male Ryder sounds almost exactly like Nolan North. He's by far the most Nolan-sounding non-Nolan I have ever heard. Even Maegan acknowledges this, and she is an expert. Though she laments that he doesn't do that growly voice when he gets angry like Nolan does. But otherwise, yeah, you would never know it's not him.
  • I was originally planning to make a female Ryder, but I liked Cora too much and decided I might as well do her romance thing. I kept trying to place Cora's voice, because I knew I'd heard it before, and then suddenly it hit me: she's the OG Triss, from the Witcher 1! I always kinda liked her better than the Witcher 2/3 Triss voice. Wonder why they switched...
  • There are several instances where the writers seem to forget about Biotics. You know, the Force powers some characters have? Peebee has them, yet during her loyalty mission, there is the Indiana Jones type scene where she is forced to choose between saving her old friend/rival or grabbing a prothean forerunner remnant relic that is rolling off a cliff. Why can't she just grab the MacGuffin with her Biotic Pull ability and then save her friend?
  • The music is bland. I was listening to the ME1 soundtrack the other day and it made me remember how much better that game was. :P

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users