• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

This is actually based on a dream (nightmare) that I had, if it seems confusing, weird, and cruel to you. Also, I wrote it in October last year on a spur of the moment while jotting down the dream, so not much effort went into it.

I just thought I'd post it here since it got such a great reception on the Naughty Dog forums and it suddenly crossed my mind that I never actually posted it here... I honestly haven't gotten more praise anywhere than I've gotten on the ND forums for my art and writing, though, so I can only hope you guys like this very brief piece as much as the people there did. Posted Image

Anyway, here's what I posted on the ND forums to introduce it, other than mentioning that it was a nightmare I had, just to further clarify things...

I just wanted to write the nightmare out because I remember every detail of it very vividly, and it freaked me out from the moment I woke up from it until morning. :\ And because I enjoy practicing my writing skill any chance I can get.

It's not surprising that I'd have a dream involving both werewolves and Uncharted (both of which I dream about very frequently), although I can't say I liked the ending of it. But we can imagine it turning out as happy later and Nate gets fixed up back to normal, because we all know that's how I'd end it. Posted Image I might even write an entire story to go with it, someday, especially since a lot of the dialog in the dream was pulled from the two games and the characters weren't highly characterized - particularly Elena.

If you're confused about how exactly I could've dreamed something like this\what my perspective was, it's difficult to explain. One minute I'd be playing it as an Uncharted game on my PS3 and watching cutscenes and such, and the next minute I'd literally be Nate within the dream itself - which made it even scarier (and more painful), especially since I usually went to Nate's POV at the worst possible moments.

So here it is. Don't worry, I promise you it won't scare you half as badly as the nightmare scared me (except maybe just my writing itself).
Also, to avoid confusion, I use italics to portray both the voice on the other end of the communicator (to show that they aren't present) and sometimes for emphasis.

Nathan Drake crept through the dark, moist tunnels, his eyes slowly adjusting to the deep shadows engulfing everything around him. Things kept getting darker, and he had long since left behind any tunnels lit by wall-mounted torches.
Reaching to his belt, Nathan switched on his flashlight, holding it aloft and taking in his surroundings. Everything seemed essentially the same: stone floor, stone walls, and far over his head arched a massive stone roof, all designed almost exactly like some old Germanic castle. Here, however, things were even quieter than before: no crackling torches, no wind whispering through cracks in the walls… all was silent, save his breathing. And much like the previous areas of the castle, the only scent lurking in the ancient place was the moist smell of mold.
“Cheery,” he said aloud, his voice echoing in the empty hallways.
Drake was thankful when he heard Elena’s voice chime in over the radio hanging on his belt, though her words were mingled with static. “Nate?”
Switching the microphone on, Nathan removed the communicator from his belt and spoke into it. “Yeah, I’m here. You alright?”
“I’m fine – what about you?”
Nate’s eyes roamed his dismal surroundings for a moment before he answered, “Never better.”
“Find anything down there?”
“Cobwebs and mold, mostly,” said Drake as he kept moving down the hallway – then he paused. “Hang on a second…”
“What?”
He didn’t respond. His flashlight revealed a large opening in the wall to his right that led into a chamber – it was huge, far larger than any other part of the castle, and he saw many wooden tables and chairs scattered and broken to splinters across the floor.
“What is it?”
Still Drake didn’t say anything, for his mind was far too occupied with his new discovery. Pointing his flashlight directly overhead, he found that the stone ceiling was so high here that he could only barely make it out in the light.
“I hate it when you do this…” Elena sighed over the radio, sounding frustrated with his silence.
“Uh, it’s…” Nathan paused, gathering his thoughts, “just a room. Big place – looks like it might’ve been some kind of dining area. Lots of broken tables and chairs.”
A moment of silence – then Sullivan’s gruff voice came over the radio instead. “Nate, we got a little problem up here.”
Pulled from his musings, Drake now returned his full attention to the conversation. “Someone on our tracks again?”
“We’ll take care of it. But hurry things up, would ya?”
“Alright, you got it,” replied Nathan – then the conversation was ended.
Clipping the radio back on his belt, Drake continued his exploration of the absurdly large room. Just as he thought he might be coming into the center of it, a sound broke the deathly stillness: somewhere far off to his left, something knocked aside a splintered wooden plank.
Nathan froze, moving his flashlight to the source of the noise. A splinter, dangling by a wooden thread, was hanging from one of the chairs… and it was moving.
Drake paused. “What the hell?”
There was a rush of noise, and Nate started – but it was just his radio. “You there?” said Sullivan.
“Sully,” Nate said hesitantly, “I can’t find anything down here. I think I’ll come back up.”
Sullivan huffed. “You sound spooked, kid. Somethin’ wrong?”
“I, ah…”
More movement – behind him.
Nathan wheeled about, dropping his radio and whipping out his pistol – but there was nothing there. Briefly rolling his eyes and blowing out a sigh, he reached down for the radio…
Something large and strong suddenly leapt atop him, sending him to the floor with a yell that resounded through the chamber and knocking his flashlight from his hand. Drake maintained a firm grip on his gun, however – but just as he was preparing to level it with the thing atop him, a hairy hand grasped his wrist in a painfully tight hold, forcing it away.
“Nate! What’s goin’ on? Come in, Nate!” Sully shouted over the radio upon the floor nearby.
The thing atop him, whatever it was, snarled in his face – he could feel its hot, moist breath. Struggling desperately, Nate landed a heavy kick in the creature’s side, which knocked it from atop him. Managing to painfully wrench his bruised wrist from the thing’s clawed grasp, though he received some nasty cuts in the process, Nate immediately raised his gun and fired rapidly at the source of enraged growling upon the floor.
In the nearly blinding light of his pistol’s muzzle flashes, Drake could make out a tall, shadowy form rising to its feet before him. It was covered in dark fur from head to toe and watched him with a pair of keen yellow eyes. It had massive and sharp teeth, a rather wolfish nose, and pointed ears covered in fur much like most of its face – yet its head was unmistakably both human and wolf. The creature’s appearance was enough to send fear rushing through its prey.
The beast snarled in agony as the bullets pierced its flesh, fur, and tattered clothing alike, making it pause and stagger. While rapidly expending the dregs of his clip into the creature, Nate turned about, running straight back for where he knew the exit to be – even while he did this, the wolf-man rose to its feet to give chase.
Drake kept firing until his pistol clicked empty. “Oh man…”
With few options left, he threw the gun back at the face of the beast he knew was still behind him. The sound of metal connecting with flesh and a whimper from the wolf-monster marked his throw as satisfactory, and for a moment the sound of padded and clawed ‘human’ feet upon the stone floor was silenced.
Nonetheless, Nathan kept running, his own rapid footfalls echoing in the vast halls. He could barely see – in fact, he couldn’t see much at all – but he could certainly hear well in the silence…
And he heard a rush of movement behind him as the beast began to chase him once more, running with inhuman swiftness – all the while, growls erupted from its throat.
Nathan ran as fast as his legs could carry him back down the dark hallways, feeling a sharp pang of regret for having to leave his radio and flashlight behind to escape the monster. Once or twice he very nearly ran headfirst into a wall and had to jump to correct himself – but soon he was coming upon an upwards-sloping hallway lined with wall-mounted torches: one he had passed through during his descent into the underground castle. He knew it led back to the hidden stone door in the wall of the ruins… the door guarded by Sully and Elena, who he had no means of communicating with now.
A snarl close at his back triggered a fresh rush of adrenaline that made his heart knock against his ribs. Ever harder Drake pushed himself to run, yet he was already running at full speed – he would slow before he would quicken.
Now charging through the torch-lit hallway, gasping for breath, Nate risked a glance over his shoulder. Just as he had made out in the muzzle flashes, the creature behind him was unmistakably one of legend… one he had always disbelieved to exist. It was a werewolf.
Looking ahead of him again, he saw the doorway ahead – but the stone wall wasn’t open. The way was shut.
“Oh crap,” Nate blurted out as he ran, the werewolf gaining on him as he steadily grew exhausted. Growing ever closer to the closed passage, Nathan shouted at the top of his lungs, “Sully! Elena!
His voice echoed through the tunnel, mingling with the growls of the beast at his back. Drake came to an abrupt halt before the sliding stone wall that remained still, and he paused for the briefest of moments, looking at it as if willing it to move. He stuck his fingers in a crack, trying in vain to pull it open with all his strength – but it didn’t budge.
Crap crap crap crap…!
Suddenly he heard the stone begin to scrape aside – stepping away from it, Drake watched it slide slowly open. “Come on!” he breathed, hoping to fit himself through even the tiniest of openings when one appeared…
But it was too late.
Nathan cried out as the werewolf slammed into him, tackling him from behind and making him slide a short ways back down the stony incline. Pain surged into his left shoulder as the beast bit down upon it, and he screamed, clawing at the floor before him and trying to pull himself toward the others.
Nate!” he heard Elena shout. Sullivan was cursing vilely. Drake could see them through the open doorway now, moving swiftly toward him with their guns at the ready.
The werewolf tore away from his shoulder, making him cringe – it set its claws into him, jerking Drake so that he was lying on his back. Nathan saw that its yellow eyes were upon his throat, even while its clawed fingers sank into his chest in a firm hold. The werewolf lunged…
Just as Nate’s hands were shooting upward to grab the creature’s throat, jaws, or anything he could get a hold of to stop its strike, gunshots shattered the air. The high cracks of Elena’s pistol and the thunderous booms of Sully’s magnum revolver were heard all at once as they came into close enough range to fire safely without hitting Drake, and the werewolf above him spurted even more blood despite its numerous wounds from Nathan’s own pistol.
The monster abruptly dropped, dead, on top of the man it had been pinning to the floor. Drake reached up to shove it aside, only to yelp at the protesting of his bitten shoulder and lay still.
Sullivan arrived, throwing the wolf-man’s corpse off Drake and crouching over him. Elena came to a halt alongside him, stuffing her pistol back in her belt and examining his wounds.
“Oh, God,” she murmured as she looked over him. Nate blinked, moaning as he tried to not black out from pain and blood loss. “Are you okay? What the hell was that?”
“Goddammit, Nate,” declared Sullivan, holstering his gun as well. “I told’ya we should’ve gone with you.”
Nathan just looked at him pitifully.
“Let’s get outta here,” said Sully, rising to his feet and reaching down to grab Nate under the armpits, trying to pull him up to his feet. Drake grunted and flinched, his aching, bitten shoulder and bleeding chest becoming further agitated upon touch. Nonetheless, he didn’t protest, instead trying to use his own strength to help Sullivan lift him up. When Nathan tried to stand on his own, however, Sully pulled him back and threw Drake’s right arm over his neck, supporting his friend and helping him stand.
“You’re not goin’ anywhere on your own, kid.”
That was one of the last things Nathan Drake heard before his already blurred vision began to swim further. He could still feel the blood of his numerous wounds trickling down his body and staining his already soaked clothing. The bite on his shoulder hurt in particular… a chill crept up his spine, and he shivered slightly. He felt something strange, something unexplainable – like some new, inner presence had suddenly come alive within him, and it was beginning to stir.
Yet through his pain and distress, Nate knew he was safe in the hands of his friends. He felt himself moving as Sully hauled him along, up toward the surface, with Elena assisting him on his left side. Sounding distant, their words indiscernible, Drake heard Elena and Sullivan speaking in concerned tones…
Then he blacked out.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Pterodactyl

Pterodactyl

*screech*

• 1,454 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

It seems like an interesting beginning to a story. However, I've never played Uncharted much *gasp* and had trouble going between the difference in names of Nate, Nathan, and Drake. If you were trying to mix up your writing and make it more interesting, stop trying. Create that with the story. You don't want each sentence to sound like a bar or a special power. It seemed a little difficult with all the names changing. Sorry if it's just me being unfamiliar with the character, but I'd rather you stuck to one of the names.

Edited by Pterodactyl, 04 July 2011 - 07:31 PM.

-Pterodactyl

#3 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

This story, to me, feels like it could be a trailer for an Uncharted game. :P It had a good flow, you obviously know the characters and hit all of their beats perfectly, and plenty of well written action.

I know that this is just a quick story, so I'm not being too nitpicky. I do agree with the above post though, about the names. Pick one name per character to use in narration, and then stick with it. It helps the reader follow along without getting confused. Nicknames are fine in dialogue, but that is where they should stay.

This was a really well done story tho. I hope you do develop it further. A werewolf Drake would make a great Uncharted Halloween Special! :D

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#4 Fate

Fate

• Nova Member
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:28 AM

It's great for a, you know, Creepy Uncharted fan-fic scene type thing. ;)

It's too gorram short, though. It sounds like an awesome opening cutscene for a new Uncharted game, but it's unfair to build up the suspension and then end it. :P I know you just wrote down the dream you had, but you should definitely continue it. You know the characters just as well as any of the Dogs, I would say, and I could always use some more Uncharted goodness.

#5 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:10 AM

I love it, Wolfy. It's so... like you, to dream about that and then write it down for us to read. Although Nate could easily have taken care of that Werewolf, no problem. :P My only complaint is that there is a distinct lack of a certain character...

Hey, maybe I could write down my Uncharted dreams too! Why, just last week I had a most enjoyable dream about Chloe serving tea whilst wearing nothing but an apron. Then Hopper from A Bug's Life showed up on his trusty steed, Celestia, and an army of Geth. Then Chloe kicked their asses in nothing but Eve's outfit. Needless to say, I woke up in a pool of my own saliva.

#6 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:20 AM

I love it, Wolfy. It's so... like you, to dream about that and then write it down for us to read. Although Nate could easily have taken care of that Werewolf, no problem. :P My only complaint is that there is a distinct lack of a certain character...

Hey, maybe I could write down my Uncharted dreams too! Why, just last week I had a most enjoyable dream about Chloe serving tea whilst wearing nothing but an apron. Then Hopper from A Bug's Life showed up on his trusty steed, Celestia, and an army of Geth. Then Chloe kicked their asses in nothing but Eve's outfit. Needless to say, I woke up in a pool of my own saliva.

Yeah, puberty's a witch :P

Anyway, very good Wolfy. I could picture the mannerisms and voice inflection just like it was an actually cutscene. Bravo.

#7 Fate

Fate

• Nova Member
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:59 AM

Heh. I don't think people want to read about those kind of dreams, Fenris. :P

Wolfy, I'm glad Drake wasn't in a mankini or anything (or nothing) when you had this dream. :lol:

#8 Semiautomagic

Semiautomagic

Truth is singular, its "versions" are mistruths.

• 609 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

Nice scene, definitely. As everyone has said, you definitely have the characterization down but that's expected from the Queen of Uncharted. I could picture it perfectly, voices, inflections, everything. The atmosphere reminded me a bit of the bunker from the first just because of the creepiness. Very well written and interesting, I'm sure no one would mind if you built on this. I've got to admit, though, having werewolves in Uncharted just sort of rubs me the wrong way. Not sure why after the Spaniards and the Guardian from both games but it's just odd to me. But if anyone could pull that off it would be you.

robin-car-dance-o.gif
Semiautomagical Writings:

Don't Bring Grenades to School

#9 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the comments, everyone! :D

@Ptero & Ryoma: Really? Well, alright. I was always told by my family/teachers/most people on this forum/critics/whoever that you're supposed to do that kind of thing. *shrug*

This was a really well done story tho. I hope you do develop it further. A werewolf Drake would make a great Uncharted Halloween Special! :D

Yeah, I suggested a Werewolf Drake and a Vampire Flynn once on the ND forums and it was very well received, but unfortunately I was told that the Dogs were too busy and wouldn't be able to do anything special for that Halloween... Arne still hasn't gotten back to me about my Werewolf Drake skin for Uncharted 3 either, darnit. :P

And, thanks!

It's great for a, you know, Creepy Uncharted fan-fic scene type thing. ;)

It's too gorram short, though. It sounds like an awesome opening cutscene for a new Uncharted game, but it's unfair to build up the suspension and then end it. :P I know you just wrote down the dream you had, but you should definitely continue it. You know the characters just as well as any of the Dogs, I would say, and I could always use some more Uncharted goodness.

Thanks, Fate! And sorry about that. :P I'd really love to work on it some more. I've been trying for a long time now to figure out a way to work it into an actual historical legend, but I'm finding it somewhat difficult. I might still do it anyway, though, especially now that I've finished the rough draft of the first LotF book and I can write whatever I want to next. :P
If I can't find a legend at all, I might take the Eye of Indra & Golden Abyss route and just make something up, although I really don't want to do that, as it's not what the Dogs do...

And you really think I know them that well? Wow, that means a lot to me - seriously! :D Thanks!

Haha, thanks, Fenris! And yep, I guess it is. I um, admit to having a lot of Nate-related dreams. Heheh...
Sorry Chloe wasn't in it, by the way. I'd be sure to include her in a full story version. :P

Holy crap, seriously? That sounds... well, awesome, if you're you. I'd want Nate, obviously, but yeah. :P

That's one weird thing about most all of my dreams, though. They're not super random like that (although I've had a few like that, for sure)... most of them are kind of like little stories, or excerpts from stories, all by themselves - some are even like creepy short stories, usually involving one or more characters from some video game or movie that I really like. Some are even about my own book(s)...

Yeah, puberty's a witch :P

Anyway, very good Wolfy. I could picture the mannerisms and voice inflection just like it was an actually cutscene. Bravo.

I know right? :P

Thanks, Wiffles! Most of the dialog actually came straight out of the dream itself, but some was added by me for further clarification and stuff. I tried really hard to make it sound very in-character and imply the right inflection, so... thanks again! :)

Wolfy, I'm glad Drake wasn't in a mankini or anything (or nothing) when you had this dream. :lol:

Aha, yes, well... not in this one. :P
But for the record, mankinis are for the weak.

I admit I'd love a shirtless option in Uncharted 3, though. That's awful of me, but it's true. Because, you know, it's all so beautiful in my mind. I'll leave things at that. :P

Nice scene, definitely. As everyone has said, you definitely have the characterization down but that's expected from the Queen of Uncharted. I could picture it perfectly, voices, inflections, everything. The atmosphere reminded me a bit of the bunker from the first just because of the creepiness. Very well written and interesting, I'm sure no one would mind if you built on this. I've got to admit, though, having werewolves in Uncharted just sort of rubs me the wrong way. Not sure why after the Spaniards and the Guardian from both games but it's just odd to me. But if anyone could pull that off it would be you.

Thanks, Semi!

And yeah, the atmosphere was kind of based on the bunker sequence. I was listening to the soundtrack for those scenes while writing the story. :P As for the werewolf thing, I'd probably feel the same way if I didn't love werewolves so much, really. That's a weird thing to say because it's a bit hard to explain, but I see where you're coming from.
I'll try my best to make it work, though! :P

To be honest, one thing I've always wanted to see in one of the Uncharted games is Nate ending up cursed somehow. It'd be interesting to have it happen to the hero instead of the villain, because instead of getting killed by it and/or accepting it and trying to use it, the hero would want to find a "cure" or way to reverse it. Plus it'd make things very intense in general, and I think it'd be a really interesting twist. Maybe we'd even get to see a side or two of Nate that hasn't shown up before.

Wow, I'm really pleased with how everyone likes how I wrote the characters. Whenever I write characters, especially characters that I love like these, I'm always worried that something will be/feel off about them. I'm really glad they turned out well. And I'm glad the action seems to have been generally enjoyable and coherent as well, except for the occasional trouble with the names.

So yeah, thanks again, guys! :D It's great to hear what you all think. I might post more writing sometime soon... namely a sneak peek of the first The Legend of the Five novel, since I recently finished its rough draft. So keep an eye out for that one in the coming weeks!

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#10 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

Haha, thanks, Fenris! And yep, I guess it is. I um, admit to having a lot of Nate-related dreams. Heheh...
Sorry Chloe wasn't in it, by the way. I'd be sure to include her in a full story version. :P

Holy crap, seriously? That sounds... well, awesome, if you're you. I'd want Nate, obviously, but yeah. :P

So yeah, thanks again, guys! :D It's great to hear what you all think. I might post more writing sometime soon... namely a sneak peek of the first The Legend of the Five novel, since I recently finished its rough draft. So keep an eye out for that one in the coming weeks!

Would you do that? Aww, that's so kind of you. :P

So... the fact that I'm about as stable in the head as Pinkie Pie does not worry you?

Ooh, I can't wait for that. :)

#11 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

Pronounced Jo-siv-ah Flh-call. He is a ninja. 0.0

• Nova Member
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

Having never played Uncharted, I guess I can't fully appreciate this as much as the rest of you guys, but I still liked it. It was a great short story. I'm not good at writing those, or anything, really. But Wolfy's a good writer period. So I enjoyed this. Good work Wolfy, and I look forward to LotF. ;)

serenitysig.png

Click the Picture, you know you want to ;)

#12 Semiautomagic

Semiautomagic

Truth is singular, its "versions" are mistruths.

• 609 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

To be honest, one thing I've always wanted to see in one of the Uncharted games is Nate ending up cursed somehow. It'd be interesting to have it happen to the hero instead of the villain, because instead of getting killed by it and/or accepting it and trying to use it, the hero would want to find a "cure" or way to reverse it. Plus it'd make things very intense in general, and I think it'd be a really interesting twist. Maybe we'd even get to see a side or two of Nate that hasn't shown up before.

Now that's an idea and I've had similar ones myself. These treasure hunting stories almost always seem to end the same way. The treasure ends up evil so the hero has to destroy it or leave behind or blah and they've got to do it because they're the hero. And they always find out, more or less, the same way. There's either that obligatory scene where the heroes are forced to watch the baddies fondle their treasures and then something awful happens and they get free and they save the world. Or there's that random character who somehow knows everything concerning the given treasure despite no one supposedly ever seeing it or hearing of it or whatever. One of the most irksome examples would be Navarro in Uncharted. How the hell did he know the truth of El Dorado? Seriously.

But, yeah. It seems no one's ever gone the route where the good guys win. They stay a few steps ahead of the bad guys, get the treasure, and huzzah. Then, they either revel in their victory and actually make some money off the deadly adventure they just embarked on. I'd like to think lotsa money to be more satisfying than the knowledge of world saving. Or they end up cursed because the treasure is evil. Which would lead to another quest to find another treasure that would make the other treasure stop being evil. It's a vicious cycle. :P

robin-car-dance-o.gif
Semiautomagical Writings:

Don't Bring Grenades to School

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Uncharted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users