E3 2016: Nintendo Strikes Back

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1266 replies to this topic

#1 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

Astute observers of the nighttime sky, as well as those of artistic or creative persuasion, will have noticed the coming of the dark star. That sinister, inky blotch, both blacker than the sable it has intruded upon, yet somehow pulsing with a unsettling glow. There are those who swear it defies the eye's attempts to focus on it; these poor souls, too curious for their own good, will be the first to go.

The rest of us, somewhere deep down we have retained the primeval sense of our own impending doom. We recognise the herald of the end times. And, over the coming days, we shall watch the chosen few gather to perform the ancient rites that will draw this great charade to a close. All debts shall be called in, and the bloodsport wiill soon commence. Legends tell us that the Unknowable Ones called this final encore...

E3, LOSERS!

E3 2016 is upon us, and I'm not going to lie to you: it's definitely going to be the greatest ever. You could be forgiven for thinking otherwise, given that Sony and Nintendo have confirmed that they aren't going to be showing the new consoles we were expecting, and Nintendo in particular not even bothering with their usual Digital Event, but only a fool counts out E3. Temper our expectations? I SAY THEE NAY! There is no room for half-measures at E3, this is a time for only the greatest extremes of hype and betrayal. The final schedule has been announced, so here's what I feel we can expect:

EA: Going first this year with their EA Play event, I'm expecting a huge blowout of Mass Effect Andromeda stuff, all kinds of trailers and gameplay footage and lore to drink up. Titanfall 2 is coming, and it has a singleplayer campaign this time so maybe I'll actually get to play it. EA is making like a dozen Star Wars games, one of which is Amy Hennig's so hopefully we'll hear about that. And there'll be like 90 minutes of sports junk that'll make us want to die, so ladies, gentlemen, prepare your gifs.

Bethesda: Dishonored 2 is going to be the star of the show, and rightfully so because it's definitely the GOTY already, meet me somewhere if you disagree. This particular conference has been hit the hardest by pre-E3 leakery, so we're all but certain we're going to see a Skyrim HD remaster, sequels to Wolfenstein and The Evil Within, and the re-emergence of Prey 2. Maybe there'll be some talk of Fallout 4 and Doom DLC, too. Should be a pretty good one.

Microsoft: This is probably our only chance to see a new console at E3, though rumours are it's just a smaller Xbox One with no hardware upgrade. I'm expecting a big push for Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3, and maybe Crackdown 3 if it makes it out this year. Recore will hopefully have metamorphosed from its CG trailer caterpillar state into a beautiful video game, and obviously Scalebound is what we're here for. Can Hideki Kamiya make it seven for seven on slam dunk video games? (Yes)

Ubisoft: They say they're not doing an Assassin's Creed this year, but when all Ubisoft games are Assassin's Creed games in different clothing, can this really be true? Expect the iconic reveal of Tom Cuh-Lancy's Watch_Dogs 2, Tom Cuh-Lancy's For Honor: Revelations: Origins, that one Tom Cuh-Lancy they revealed last year where... all those men... shot eachother. No, not that one, the other one. Tweet any memes you'd like to pitch to @AishaTyler #girlwood

PC Gaming Show: This was a weird one last year, three hours of an endlessly enthusiastic host interviewing awkward developer after awkward developer. Don't expect any megatons here, but it'll be good to leave on in the background while you do other things.

Sony: I'm predicting a whole lot of delays. You name the big Sony exclusive, and I'll tell you how surprised I won't be when it ends up slipping into 2017. Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn are already gone, so we're just waiting on delays for The Last Guardian, Nier Automata, Gravity Rush 2, Gran Turismo Sport, etc etc. Sony doesn't know how to get games out on time any more. But, hey, at least we'll get to watch them waffle about their VR thing for like forty five minutes.

Nintendo: lol I hope you like Zelda. Thankfully they've gone back on their plans to show only Zelda, but now it's basically just Zelda, Pokemon and a few Wii U and 3DS games we already know about. Don't expect megatons, just be happy with how amazing Zelda will (hopefully) look.

That's it for the big ones. Square is running their own livestream in place of a conference, same as Nintendo, and ol' Dorito Pope Geoff "Do the Dew" Keighley will have his Youtube show, so I hope you guys have generous bandwidth caps. As always, there are the non-brand-specific wildcards that might show up independent of the big conferences. Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 7, Beyond Good & Evil 2, Red Dead 3, a new Platinum game. You never know what's going to happen at E3.

Here's the usual schedule chart that I've stolen from NeoGAF:
timetable_e330ajb.png

And with that, LET'S ALL POST VERY THOUGHTFULLY ABOUT E3 AGAIN! What are all you dorks excited for?

#2 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 7

These are it. These two games can make or break the entire E3 for me, depending on what Capcom has in store. I think it's pretty much assured at this point that RE7 will be nothing like what I'd like it to be, but maybe there's a tiny chance - kind of like a snowball's in hell - I dunno. Otherwise, I got nothin', really.

Unless Techland comes out of nowhere with a sudden Dying Light 2 announcement to fix their totally crap ending(s) to The Following, but I don't really think that'll happen. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#3 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:36 PM

Oh good, looks like I don't care about anything on Monday. FANTASTIC.

#4 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:49 PM

These are it. These two games can make or break the entire E3 for me, depending on what Capcom has in store.

If DMC5 gets announced here I am going to EXPLODE. My body will detonate with enough force to make Australia even more uninhabitable than it already is. Seriously, with MGS over and done with, Devil May Cry is the oldest, longest-lasting video game love affair I've had. Ain't nothing gonna get to me like DMC5. Forget your E3 of Dreams last year; if I catch one whiff of Vergil it's all over. I'll be so full of hype I might accidentally transcend to another plane of existence and then have to find my way back to this one again to actually play it. Even just a ten second teaser with no actual footage and I'm going to lose my mind.

#5 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:08 PM

EDIT: You guys have really gotta stop changing the VG news topic title when no one's looking.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#6 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 04:58 AM

EDIT: You guys have really gotta stop changing the VG news topic title when no one's looking.

This is E3, soldier! You'd better keep that head on a swivel, you never know what's going to happen.

Alright, so, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up (yes I do), but Dan Southworth, who as we all know is the voice of the most motivated character in all of vidjergames, has been Tweeting over the last couple of days:

5sMKGHv.png?1

kCGw0SK.png?1

I might actually be dying this E3, you guys. It has been EIGHT YEARS since the last Devil May Cry game. It has been ELEVEN since Devil May Cry 3, the undisputed greatest video game ever made. If DMC comes back at E3 I can't even describe the things that are going to happen inside my body.

Oh, and other things are happening at E3 too, I suppose, if you even care about that sort of thing when such a momentous announcement may or may not be happening. The trailer for Vampyr has leaked, the new game from the people who made Life is Strange. It's on Dailymotion, presumably because nobody would ever go there so the publisher doesn't know to take it down. It looks alright, though probably not something that would really grab me if I didn't know the developers. I think I read that it's an RPGish thing?

Also there's another Call of Cthulhu game coming out:

No word on whether you hit Cthulhu with a boat in this one.

#7 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 05:14 PM

Is it still online-only? Or is it finally being broadcast on tv again?

#8 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

Is it still online-only? Or is it finally being broadcast on tv again?

TV? What's that? Sadly, nope. It's only on the streams.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#9 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

My E3 must-sees, if they don't show up at E3 I will burn this website to the ground.

1. Red Dead 3

2. DMC 5

3. Vanquish 2

4. One Unit Whole Blood remake from Flying Wild Hog games and published by Devolver Digital

5. A new Timesplitters

6. Prey 4

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#10 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

Yeah I can't help you with the TV stuff. Having E3 on TV is something I would never even dream of in Australia, so I have no idea how your crazy American TV works :P

I am so excited to see Mass Effect Andromeda tonight. Like, for realsies, I can't wait. I am so ready to get back into Mass Effect again. I still haven't played a single second of a Mass Effect game since that day in 2012 when it all went wrong, but moving the series to a whole new galaxy and making the cleanest of clean breaks has me 100% back on board. I want to see the new lineup of space waifus, I want to see my new spaceship, I want to see the dialogue circle and the Mako and all the dudes I'm going to be killing. MASS EFFECT, you guys!

Also Battlefield 1 and Titanfall will probably be cool. And all those Star Wars games. I feel like the EA show might actually be mostly enjoyable this year. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself because I'm going to have to get up at 4am to watch it...

#11 Patriot 96

Patriot 96

Lego fan

• Nova Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

My top five picks for what I (realistically) want to see are as follows:
1. Civilization VI: I want to see it really fleshed out beyond a 3 minute video. More empire reveals would be nice as well.
2. Kingdom Come Deliverance: for those who haven't heard it's a realistic historical RPG funded on Kickstarter. It's basically like Skyrim with a heavy dose of reality.
3. A singleplayer Star Wars game. It's quite possible EA's going to reveal Visceral's Star Wars game, maybe a release of 1313.
4. More Injustice 2. Maybe a little bit of the story would be nice.
5. Anything truly Elder Scrolls (not Warcraft or Hearthstone rip offs.) A Skyrim remaster would be fine, but please don't just rip off any other fantasy games!

Edit: Other picks include Fallout DLC, a sequel to New Vegas, or the Rise of Iron.

#12 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

4. More Injustice 2. Maybe a little bit of the story would be nice.

Perhaps I could interest you in a new trailer?

OK, so there's no hint about the story, but it does look pretty neat. I'd at least watch those cutscenes on Youtube :P

As for Star Wars, I think EA has at least four games in production right now. There's:

- Battlefront 2, obviously (or Battlefront... 4? Probably Battlefront: Subtitle), though no idea whether it'll have any singleplayer component

- Amy Hennig's game Visceral, which is loooooong due for a reveal

- Respawn Entertainment (the Titanfall devs, presumably a different team within the company, though) are making a third person action/adventure Star Wars game directed by Stig Asmussen (director of God of War 3).

- Jade Raymond's Motive Studios is apparently hiring for a new Star Wars game, although I wouldn't expect that for a while

#13 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:12 AM

I'm guessing instead of a sequel it'll be a massive DLC for Battlefront to try and get more people to play it. Feels A little early to announce a sequel.

#14 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:40 AM

Yeah Occy's just saying it's in production, not that it's been announced.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#15 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:23 AM

Yeah, I guess EA can't go officially unveiling anything until they've delivered all the content in that $50 Season Pass, but they've made no secret of the fact that there are going to be more Battlefronts. Not that it's exactly news that a game that sells well will get sequels :P

A Dishonored 2 TV commercial has leaked, so here's a Youtube link that's probably going to get taken down before I finish typing this:

It looks like they're leaning heavily on the weird, occult side of Dishonored's lore, and I love it. Also this is an excellent 'coming for dat booty' gif:

gif6spap.gif

EDIT - Dailymotion link, where leaked trailers go to hide.

#16 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,864 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:25 AM

EA BioWare us also working on an unannounced Star Wars title, unrelated to their ongoing support of The Old Republic.

#17 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:52 AM

Some Watch Dogs 2 gameplay, ahead of Ubisoft's stream tomorrow. Mixture of stuff collected from other videos they've released. Still, interesting.
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#18 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:38 AM

Hey guys, I'm on medieval-era limited internet usage, so I can't livestream this whole show. So, Ocey, please do me a big favor and if/when Amy Hennig's new game gets announced, link to the trailer for it and put in huge text that that's what it is. Cuz, ya know, I will kill my internet connection for that, at least. :P Not that I don't read all of your fantastic E3 posts anyway, but... :lol: 

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#19 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 8,020 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:47 AM

So, Ocey, please do me a big favor and if/when Amy Hennig's new game gets announced, link to the trailer for it and put in huge text that that's what it is.

tumblr_o5dsq3jAsK1vp5axco3_500.gif

Will do, Chief :P

OK, we've got just over six hours to until the Mass Effect Power Hour EA show, so for now I'm going to do my best to get some sleep. I'm waking up at four in the morning for this, because I'm an idiot. I'm going to need a serious Andromeda blowout to make this worthwhile. If I don't have a new space waifu this time tomorrow I'm going to be upset.

#20 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 07:31 AM

The first Daisy Ridley gif! And I initiated it! :P

gallery_3_16_814504.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users