Photo

The Pokemon Thread

Nintendo

• Please log in to reply
693 replies to this topic

Poll: Pokemon Sun & Moon

Who's your starter?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Can someone who has the game right now tell me how easy it is to get pokemon with hidden abilities? I find myself interested in a few pokemon, like Meowstic and Talonflame, who seem interesting, but only if they have their hidden abilities. I believe that you can catch them in the friend garden (which I definitely plan on using), but I also heard a rumor that you can catch these pokemon with hidden abilities in horde battles. Is that true?

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#42 old-altair

old-altair

that dude

• Nova Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Had to look it up online, since I don't have this game. :/

You can find Pokemon with their hidden abilities in horde battles, with no special things needed. However, you need to figure out which Pokemon has the special ability. There are other ways that you can get them, so I'll list 'em below, but horde battles are definitely your best bet.

• All Pokemon obtained from the Global Link will have their hidden ability, where possible.
  • Certain Event Pokemon have their hidden ability.
  • You can get something called the Pokemon Dream Radar, and all Pokemon caught will have their special ability. Basically, you use your DS as a VR camera thing, and you catch Pokemon, which you transfer to Black 2 and White 2, which you trade to your X and Y game. Very complex, so I wouldn't really try this one. 

I think that's really it. I'll look for more ways, but to answer your question, it is a 4 out of 10 on easiness: a bit hard, a little complex sometimes, though great Pokemon trainers can get used to it and do it quicker and easier.

Edited by xAltair7x, 17 October 2013 - 05:46 PM.

"EXTERMINATE!"

-Dalek Extra #18302

#43 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Apparently there's some kind of Friend Safari thing where you can find Pokes with their hidden abilities, too, but I have no idea what it is beyond the name. I'm guessing it's a post-Elite-4 thing.

k, so I'm 7 badges in, and I think my team's rock-solid: Tyrantrum, Greninja, Talonflame, Doublade, Heliolisk and Sylveon. I don't have anything that can outright dominate a Poison type, but they're uncommon enough that I can get by with Tyrantrum's Earthquake (it learns EQ!) and some neutral attacks. Sylveon is like the Fairy version of Vaporeon, a Special Tank with a mean Special Attack stat and Moon Blast (Fairy Beam, essentially) for good type coverage. I still can't quite keep Fairy's strengths and weaknesses straight, but I'm getting there. 

Remember when I talked about doing sweet Tony Hawk's Pro Skater moves with the roller blades? YOU TOTALLY CAN! There's a sorta-sidequest where you find a bunch of Pro Roller Bladers who teach you new tricks, and you can do flips and spins off ledges or twirls and a hilarious hip-shake while zooming along. It's the best thing in the whole world, no exaggeration. They're all done with nuanced little flicks of the circle pad, and they're legitimately fun to pull off while you're just travelling around. And your bike has an adorable little headlight for when you ride at night! GOTY confirmed!

I still just want to Wonder Trade all day long, too. Today someone gave me a sweet Timid Ralts, and I randomly traded a Goomy for another Goomy. Oh, by the way, there's a Pokemon called Goomy now :P

EDIT - So Doublade's evolution is really neat. I figured it was going to be three swords, but it's actually one big sword and a shield. It's kind of a sideways evolution, in fact, because its stats don't get any higher, as far as I can see. Instead, Aegislash takes Doublade's gigantic Attack stat and swaps it with Special Defence, making it one beast of a tank.

My Doublade is Brave and I'd already fully EV-trained its Attack, though, so I decided to keep it as a Doublade. I gave it an Eviolite to hold, which is the item that multiplies the Defence and Special Defence of an unevolved Pokemon by 1.5x. 

#44 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

EDIT - So Doublade's evolution is really neat. I figured it was going to be three swords, but it's actually one big sword and a shield. It's kind of a sideways evolution, in fact, because its stats don't get any higher, as far as I can see. Instead, Aegislash takes Doublade's gigantic Attack stat and swaps it with Special Defence, making it one beast of a tank.

My Doublade is Brave and I'd already fully EV-trained its Attack, though, so I decided to keep it as a Doublade. I gave it an Eviolite to hold, which is the item that multiplies the Defence and Special Defence of an unevolved Pokemon by 1.5x. 

I'd personally make it an Aegislash, and here's why. Aegislash's ability is called Stance Change, which lets it change form depending on what move you use. If you use an attacking move, any one, it goes into Attack Form, which has base 150 of both Attacking stats. If you use a Status, Stat-boosting, or otherwise defensive move, it goes into Defense Form, which switches the two 150 stats to Defense and Special Defense. THat makes Aegislash incredibly versatile and able to both soak up a lot of hits and dish out tons of damage.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#45 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

Torchic.png

So, at long last, Hawk can start his Pokemon X and Y adventure! I would praise the game, but I'm sure that by now, you all know how awesome the latest edition of Pokemon is. Besides, Ocelot could put it all far more eloquently than I ever could. Also, I'm using the event Torchic, who I have immediately fallen in love with due to his fat little body and his habit of scrambling around on his awkward chicken legs. Beyond cute! Also, I'm a member of Team Froakie, so my team is shaping up nicely. I'm playing as a girl again (the guys keep looking the same to me), and I just beat the first gym leader. 

Anyway, we of SSLF should start a little Pokemon League. There are a lot of benefits to having a size-able friends list, such as the Friend Safari. My friend code is 3196-3455-5331. Go ahead and add me! And when we have all raised our teams into a mighty fighting force, we can settle, once and for all, who is the TRUE Pokemon Champion!

#46 assassinfred

assassinfred

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:01 AM

Torchic.png

So, at long last, Hawk can start his Pokemon X and Y adventure! I would praise the game, but I'm sure that by now, you all know how awesome the latest edition of Pokemon is. Besides, Ocelot could put it all far more eloquently than I ever could. Also, I'm using the event Torchic, who I have immediately fallen in love with due to his fat little body and his habit of scrambling around on his awkward chicken legs. Beyond cute! Also, I'm a member of Team Froakie, so my team is shaping up nicely. I'm playing as a girl again (the guys keep looking the same to me), and I just beat the first gym leader. 

Anyway, we of SSLF should start a little Pokemon League. There are a lot of benefits to having a size-able friends list, such as the Friend Safari. My friend code is 3196-3455-5331. Go ahead and add me! And when we have all raised our teams into a mighty fighting force, we can settle, once and for all, who is the TRUE Pokemon Champion!

...I'll just be here, hoping that one day my copy of X will come in the mail...

Also, Speed Boost Blaziken is pretty broken, so I'm sad face that I'll eventually have to fight it.

#47 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

...I'll just be here, hoping that one day my copy of X will come in the mail...

Also, Speed Boost Blaziken is pretty broken, so I'm sad face that I'll eventually have to fight it.

I'm not so sure its going to be broken anymore. There are a lot of bulky fairies to look out for, especially Azumarill, who is looking to be awesome this generation. Shame I already raised one. :P

#48 assassinfred

assassinfred

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

Fairy won't do much against Blaziken, as Fire resists Fairy, so it does Neutral damage. I still perceive that it is going to be incredibly hard to beat, but me doing my research thinks it has found a way... *insert evil laugh here*.

Regardless, I'm not going to flat out tell you not to use it, but it will be a very large thorn in my side dealing with a Speed Boost Mega Blaziken.

#49 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

Fairy won't do much against Blaziken, as Fire resists Fairy, so it does Neutral damage. I still perceive that it is going to be incredibly hard to beat, but me doing my research thinks it has found a way... *insert evil laugh here*.

Regardless, I'm not going to flat out tell you not to use it, but it will be a very large thorn in my side dealing with a Speed Boost Mega Blaziken.

Who ever said it was going to be my mega?  ;)

#50 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

I'd personally make it an Aegislash, and here's why...

Yep, I just read about Aegislash and he's way more awesome than I thought. He has gigantic Defence stats in Shield Forme, but no Attack, and gigantic Attacks but no Defence in Blade Forme, so the strategy comes from when to switch Formes. Even better, his signature move King's Shield is pretty amazing. It's a priority move that switches him back to Shield Forme, and also lowers the attack stat of any dude who tries to attack him that turn by one stage. So the idea is to make your Aegislash as slow as possible, so that if it ever takes a hit it'll be in Shield Forme. You send it out, Swords Dance up while shrugging off hits, then bust out a quick Sacred Sword that automatically triggers Blade Forme and utterly destroys whatever it hits, and on the next turn you use King's Shield to immediately go back to Shield Forme. 

You just have to be careful with the switching, because Aegislash is a glass cannon in Blade Forme that probably couldn't take one hit. But that just makes you feel even cooler for being a strategising powerhouse.

I'm playing as a girl again (the guys keep looking the same to me), and I just beat the first gym leader. 

I wish I'd chosen a girl trainer, because they seem to have far more customisation options. I haven't seen all the options, though, because they won't let me into the fanciest boutique in Lumiose yet. Apparently I'm not stylish enough :P

#51 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hey Ocelot, when I finally get to the day care, would you mind lending me a spare Ditto for breeding? :P

#52 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,839 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

GAH! All I need is $10! Why? Well, the SSLF Pokémon League sounds interesting...I might consider it but, I'm not much of a tactician...Anyway, I hope I get this bloody game soon.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#53 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

Finally got the game and will slowly be getting my way through it with my Fennekin due to school, other games, and life. Still, at least I'll probably get some of the game started in-between classes.

Too bad I likely won't be able to connect to the internet while on campus. It's one of those that requires a username and then the password to get in which I don't think the 3DS supports. Anyone have any technical knowledge to bypass this problem?

Edited by mirage, 20 October 2013 - 03:11 AM.

What if Rise Had an RTS Game Based Off It for its many factions? Ideas Here:
Rise and Conquer: Compiled
Check out my Youtube channel for occasional casts and voice clips.

#54 The Gaming Hoodie

The Gaming Hoodie

The Nicest Hoodie You Will Ever Know

• 22 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

Finally got the game and will slowly be getting my way through it with my Fennekin due to school, other games, and life. Still, at least I'll probably get some of the game started in-between classes.

Too bad I likely won't be able to connect to the internet while on campus. It's one of those that requires a username and then the password to get in which I don't think the 3DS supports. Anyone have any technical knowledge to bypass this problem?

You could try making your own hotspot. That's what I do at my campus for my Vita and 3DS since my school won't let them connect to its wifi.

Edited by The Gaming Hoodie, 20 October 2013 - 11:09 PM.

Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.

#55 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

OK, OK, OK you guys. OK, so I'm just minding my own business ovah heah. Not doin' nuttin' ta nobawdy, y'see? I beat the Elite 4 yesterday, and I turned my attention to the Pokedex. I'm going to try and catch'em all this time, which is something I haven't sincerely attempted since Ruby. I figured I'd start with the first regional 'Dex, since it only has 150 Pokes in it, and then I'd work my way up from there. With the changes Game Freak has made to trading (sticking it on the bottom screen instead of making you hike off to a physical location, and letting you type the name of any Pokemon you want on the GTS rather than only picking from ones you've 'seen'), it actually seems like a surmountable task. Not a quick and easy one, but something I could actually do, y'know?

Anyway, I've been issuing Writs at the Battle Chateau and stomping all the trainers there with my Lv 80 Heliolisk and a team of five other guys I'm trying to level up with the Exp Share (I adore this thing). That Pokedex is going down so quickly this way. I'm already at 150 seen, 90-something caught. And, thanks to all my Wonder Trading, a lot of the Pokemon I'm levelling up get that 1.5x Exp bonus for being traded Pokermen. So, I get to a point where I need to evolve a Mantyke, and for that you need a Remoraid in your party. I didn't have a Remoraid, but I had an Octillery and a Ditto, so I set them a'breedin' and then had a look at what else I needed to breed. There are a lot of Pokes in this game that are only catchable in their second- or third-stage evolutions, so I went to work. Bam, got my Remoraid. Bam, got my Starly. OK, who's next? Ah, how about this Conkeldurr I got from Wonder Trading? Bam! Got my...

My....

MY FIRST GEN 6 SHINY OMGOMGOMG!

DFAlq3j.jpg

AAAAAAW YISSSSSSS! My body had been so ready, and it feels goooooood!

I haven't even seen a shiny since the Riolu I hatched in my Japanese version of Diamond. I went through Platinum, Soul Silver, Black and Black 2 without even a hint of one; seven years of Pokemon with not a single shiny to show for it. I was beginning to think my luck had just run out, and it only made it harder that people all over the internet were catching shinies all over the place in X/Y. But the drought has finally broken, and what a way to do it! Conkeldurr is one of those Pokemon I'd just never even considered using before, and I love it when you get a reason to look into a whole new duder this way. His nature's Mild, which doesn't do him any favours, but the guy who rates your Poke's IVs in the postgame stuff says he has a perfect attack stat!

So, I guess I was technically using the Masuda Method, which for folks who aren't familiar with the obsessive minutia of Pokemon games is one of the few ways to improve the shiny encounter rate in Gen 4 and onwards. It's usually 1/8192, but if you're breeding two Pokemon and one is from a different country to the game cart you're playing on, the rate jumps up to 1/1365ish. Which is still pretty goshdarn rare. Even crazier is that this is literally the first and only egg I ever planned to hatch with those two parents; I just wanted one Timburr to fill out my Pokedex and I probably would have stuck him in the PC forever afterwards (or Wonder Traded him away). 

GAWD I LOVE POKERMANS!

#56 assassinfred

assassinfred

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

So, at long last, my copy of X came in the mail. I have now joined the cool kids and started on my epic Pokemon adventure once again. I spent like an hour soft resetting to get my Froakie a decent nature, but now that that's done, I'm well on my way. I've already defeated the surprisingly hard 1st Gym (that Infestation is pretty annoying), and just now leaving Santalune City. 

Man, did I miss this.

#57 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,839 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:42 AM

You lucky sons of Tyrannus! I've never seen or caught a Shiny before, Arceus does not favor me...I can't wait to get Y or X but, I want to get a Cyndaquil in that game. Maybe beat Black, get done with HeartGold and transfer away. Huzzah! I shall rise victorious!

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#58 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Started Pokemon X on Monday. Spent 2 and a half hours feeding Chespin PokePuffs. 

Spent an hour yesterday trying to get a Pikachu.

Maybe I'll get to the first gym today. Doubtful, tho. :P

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#59 miragefla

miragefla

Packcorn

• Nova Member
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

I swear all my Pokémon hate PokePuffs of all flavours and colours.

What if Rise Had an RTS Game Based Off It for its many factions? Ideas Here:
Rise and Conquer: Compiled
Check out my Youtube channel for occasional casts and voice clips.

#60 assassinfred

assassinfred

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

well, at the beginning of yesterday, I had beaten one gym. Today, I have beaten seven. I like this game too much.

Also, I don't know if you guys know this, but Malamar is an absolute beast. I'll show you once we all start battling. No secrets given away this day!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nintendo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users