Photo

The Pokemon Thread

Nintendo

• Please log in to reply
693 replies to this topic

Poll: Pokemon Sun & Moon

Who's your starter?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 assassinfred

assassinfred

Gifting is better than lifting.

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Honestly, I just like the way Charizard X looks a lot more than the Y version. A bit of a letdown, but I'll see if there are any other cool deviations to get excited for before I switch sides. That being said, Charizard Y seems to be the more viable member competitively, especially with how dominant weather is in the current metagame. 

"Current" Metagame does not mean the X and Y Metagame though. Don't get me wrong, Drought is a great ability, but we have no idea what the X and Y metagame will be like and have no idea if weather is going to be a huge factor in it. They both have advantages. Mega Charizard X gets a sweet typing change as well as an ungodly Attack boost, due to it's Attack stat already being raised in Mega form as well as Tough Claws which ups the damage of pretty much every Physical move. 

I'm not saying Mega Charizard Y won't be good. It almost definitely will be. I'm just saying it isn't really fair to judge competitive viability based off of the current metagame, especially when we have no idea what the X and Y metagame will be like.

decidueye_fan_button_by_morshute-damoqcu

#22 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

"Current" Metagame does not mean the X and Y Metagame though. Don't get me wrong, Drought is a great ability, but we have no idea what the X and Y metagame will be like and have no idea if weather is going to be a huge factor in it. They both have advantages. Mega Charizard X gets a sweet typing change as well as an ungodly Attack boost, due to it's Attack stat already being raised in Mega form as well as Tough Claws which ups the damage of pretty much every Physical move. 

I'm not saying Mega Charizard Y won't be good. It almost definitely will be. I'm just saying it isn't really fair to judge competitive viability based off of the current metagame, especially when we have no idea what the X and Y metagame will be like.

Honestly, I was planning on raising a Blaziken anyway, so Charizard isn't too important. Although I will admit that I like the way it looks. :P Personally, since only one mega is going to be allowed in battle, I was planning on using Mega Mawile for that coolness factor. That, and the fact she looks like she might be a beast in trick room and baton pass, my two favorite play styles. 

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#23 The Gaming Hoodie

The Gaming Hoodie

The Nicest Hoodie You Will Ever Know

• 22 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:55 AM

I'm really loving these mega evolutions but I might wait out this game. Most of my friends don't play Pokemon and I usually just play the story of it with a few online battles here and there. I might just wait for the third entry for this generation. If I do get one of these, it'll by Y. I'm liking the Charizard in Y more than X at the moment.

Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself.

#24 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

I have a question. Does anyone have a detailed list of rules for mega evolutions? What I'm wondering is, say I raised both a Charizard and a Blastoise to the point where they can turn into their mega evolutions. I understand that I can only use one in battle, but say that in one fight, I send out Charizard first, and in another, I send out Blastoise. Does that mean that I could, conceivably, have several pokemon with the ability to mega evolve and use different ones in each battle?

#25 assassinfred

assassinfred

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:16 PM

You can have one Mega Evolutionper battle, but I think you can have more than one with the ability to. So say you have a Blastoise with it's Mega Evolution item and Ampharos holding its. Both could be on the same team, but you could only Mega Evolve one of them per battle.

#26 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,839 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

I think Mega Evolutions are a bit unnecessary for some Pokémon. I'm fine with the Starters having Megas but, Absol, Mawile, Lucario, and others could of gotten regular evolutions and seeing as how Pokémon is doing this Mega business a whole bunch of Pokémon will have Megas when a regular evolution would suffice. That's just my two cents.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#27 assassinfred

assassinfred

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

I just ordered these two lovely things from Amazon:

pokemon_xy_3ds_xl_red_hardware_rgb.0_cin

pokemonxy_07.jpg

I am so ready for this game.

#28 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

The following includes pictures of recently announced Mega Pokemon. If you want to avoid spoilers, do not open. Technically, it was announced in a magazine, so while I wouldn't consider it a spoiler, I know certain people love surprises. :P

Spoiler

#29 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,839 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

The Megas, I just don't like most of them, the design is way too different from the base Pokémon, the only Megas I like are the starter ones and Absol. They just look too different...But, I believe I must use Megas to even compete in the metagame.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

#30 assassinfred

assassinfred

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

The following includes pictures of recently announced Mega Pokemon. If you want to avoid spoilers, do not open. Technically, it was announced in a magazine, so while I wouldn't consider it a spoiler, I know certain people love surprises. :P

Spoiler

Only one per battle. Doesn't mean you can't.... Catch them all!

The Megas, I just don't like most of them, the design is way too different from the base Pokémon, the only Megas I like are the starter ones and Absol. They just look too different...But, I believe I must use Megas to even compete in the metagame.

I doubt you'll absolutely have to have one to compete. You can still only have one per battle, which isn't all that gamebreaking imo, especially since you give up your valuable hold item in order to do it. The metagame might surprise you. What were once absolute trash could quickly become top tier in a heartbeat.

#31 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,839 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Give Absol a nice hitting move along with Swords Dance would be a very dangerous foe. Aggron was like a Normal type, heck, I taught one Surf, Flamethrower, Earthquake, and another move. They're powerful normally but, maybe I'll get used to the designs later on, more than likely I will. Do you believe Fossil Pokémon could have Mega Evolutions? I'd love to see a Mega Kabutops.

KY0FhTX.jpg

#32 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

Interesting Mega Tyranitar basically went from Godzilla to Space Godzilla and Mega Aggron is pretty much Gamera. I'm okay with this (though if any mega deserves to be Gamera, it's Torkoal).

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#33 assassinfred

assassinfred

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

So, imma spoiler this, but holy.

Spoiler

#34 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,711 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

POKEMON YOU GUYS! It's out and I've got it and I picked Froakie and now I have a Fletchling! I've been running diagonally all up ins. It seems really cool so far, though I'm yet to even find a town with a Gym. It's all really snappy, really quick saving and soft-resetting (had to get that female starter, obviously). They give you the Running Shoes right off the bat, too. The wild encounter rate is totally bearable, and the battles go really quickly. I know that's all small scale stuff, but it's the stuff that makes these games a real drag when Game Freak gets it wrong *coughDiamond/Pearlcough*. 

The only thing I'm disappointed with is seeing so many old Pokemon in the grass; the wild Pokemon I saw was a Pidgey. I'd always rather see nothing but the new guys until I beat the Elite 4, y'know? I didn't mind it when B2/W2 brought back some really interesting old guys and changed up their placement in the world (I caught a Riolu really early on, for example), but it doesn't seem like that's the case in X/Y. The first patch of grass has Fletchlings, Bunnelbys and Scatterbugs, which I assume are Gen 6's Pidgey, Rattata and Caterpie, but then it also has Pidgeys and Caterpies and Zigzagoons and Weedles. I don't want them. Keep'em away. Show me the new guys.

EDIT - I had to stop playing because my 3DS ran out of batteries. I played for seven hours and I've only beaten one Gym Leader, and I honestly don't know if the second one is going to pop up any time soon. I don't know if they're just front-loading the game with content, but if things keep up like this then this game's going to be lawng. I'm pretty disappointed that the new Pokemon are vastly outnumbered by the old ones, though. Every new route will have one or two new guys alongside three, four or five old guys, and I just have no interest in training an Oddish or a Gulpin. This is Pokemon X! On the 3DS! I don't need to know about your Illumises, k?

I think my favourite thing so far is that you get EXP for catching Pokemon now. I'm so used to only getting EXP for killing them (*ahem* causing them to faint) that every time the message pops up I get a giddy little thrill. The roller blades are pretty cool, too, because they unstick you from the grid-based movement and give you full analogue control at a crazy speed. If you double tap the circle pad in a direction you go even faster, too! I swear you go faster than the Mach Bike in R/S/E, but without any acceleration time. And you can grind rails! You do sweet grinds in a Pokemon game! If they put any more Tony Hawk's Pro Skater moves in here we'd be in serious danger of the world's most addictive game. There's a skate park in the game, but try as I might I was unable to pop a manual off a rail grind, flip a sweet 540 Benihana off a quarterpipe and then revert the landing into another manual.

There are these minigames you can play to EV train your Pokes, but I'm not really sure how they all work. They talk about raising your Pokemon's 'base stats', and you see gains of +4, +8 and +12, so I'm not sure if you're getting 12 EVs or 12 actual stat points at Lv 100. I'm sure the internet will have worked it out by the time I've finished with the game, though, and I don't worry about EVs and stuff until then.

#35 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Member
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Everybodys-playing-Pokemon.jpg

It's probably not good for my health to continue observing this topic.

I went by both Wal-Mart and Gamestop today just browsing, maybe planning on squandering a good chunk of my remaining money irresponsibly.

And neither of them had any 3DSes OR X/Y. What are the chances of that?

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#36 old-altair

old-altair

that dude

• Nova Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Everybodys-playing-Pokemon.jpg

Just me and you, bro. Just me and you. 

Also, did anyone else hear about that glitch with saving in Lumiose City? It corrupts your save, basically forcing you to restart. Here's an informative video by my favorite YouTuber.

"EXTERMINATE!"

-Dalek Extra #18302

#37 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,711 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:30 AM

Oh wow, I'm really glad I avoided that by dumb luck. At least they can patch it now. Back in the old days they probably would have had to issue a recall of all the millions and millions of cartridges they'd sold. Hopefully they get onto it quick smart.

So, I just beat the second gym! After fourteen hours of playtime! This game's big, y'all. Granted, I've spent some a lot of time in grass looking for new Pokes, and may have sunk an hour or two into the Super Training minigames, but there's still far more stuff to do in the main story than there's ever been before. My guys are currently in the mid-20s, but I haven't been using the Exp All because it seems like cheating. The way Exp works in X/Y is that whoever participates in a battle gets the full amount of Exp, meaning it isn't shared between all the participants. In other words, if you get 100 Exp for defeating a wild Bunnelby with one guy, you could have switched all six of your guys in and out and they'd all get 100 Exp. And with the Exp All you don't even have to do that. It seems like it'd make it too easy to get ludicrously over-levelled for the game, so I've kept it turned off, but I think it'll be fantastic for training any low-level dudes up if I want to try someone new.

So far I've switched a few duders in and out, and my current team is Frogadier, Fletchinder, Skiddo, Tyrunt, Honedge and Swirlix. I'm not too sure on Skiddo and Swirlix, though, because they've gone a while without evolving or learning any good new moves, so they'd better step up their game or they might find themselves in a box. It's not like there's a shortage of interesting new Pokemon waiting to take their places. Fletchinder's position is a little tenuous, too, once he evolved from Normal/Flying to Fire/Flying, but he's reasonably safe because I think he looks really cool. Frogadier, Honedge and Tyrunt are coming all the way to the Elite 4, of course, because they're awesome.

Anyway, I'm still not a fan of this random hodgepodge of old Pokemon that outnumber all the cool new guys I want to find, but I'm still really excited to see what pops up on every new route. Gonna play more naokthx.

#38 assassinfred

assassinfred

• Nova Member
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

I am so mad at Amazon for not getting this game to me yet. Ocelot, our teams look like they are going to br very similar, as I am also taking Froakie, Honedge, and Tyrunt to the Elite Four (along with Charizard, Malamar, and Sylveon). 

Hurry up and get this game to me, Canada Post. I am growing ever impatient to ply this game.

#39 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,711 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Tyrunt is so awesome, dude. He's your typical bruiser, slow with sky-high attack and HP, but he's Dragon/Rock and his ability Strong Jaw increases the power of biting moves. I don't know if it's 1.5x or 2x damage, but judging by the crazy damage I've been doing with Bite I think it has to be 2x. Even if it's just 1.5x, though, that still essentially gives him three (or maybe four) STAB'ed attacks. I'm really hoping he learns Crunch later on, and... well, I can't actually think of any more biting moves, but if he ends up with something like Rock Slide, Outrage, Crunch and Earthquake I'll be pretty happy. Oh, wait, I bet Thunder Fang and friends probably count, too!

And Honedge is the best, too. He's Steel/Ghost, which is one of those perfect type combinations that covers its own weaknesses. He's a Steel type that doesn't have to worry about Fighting attacks, and a Ghost that isn't weak to Ghost. The only problem is that I keep leaving him in against Dark attacks, because I forget that they changed it so that Steel no longer resists Dark in X/Y, but hopefully I'll drill it into my memory before long. His ability is also really cool. No Guard makes all of his attacks 100% accurate (meaning they're unaffected by accuracy debuffs, like Swift or Aerial Ace). He hasn't actually learned anything interesting with lower accuracy yet, but it's early days yet. Those sorts of abilities are my favourite ones because they give me the opportunity to use moves I'd never even consider otherwise. I loved my Compoundeyes Galvantula in Black 2 with its 91% accurate Thunder :P

Anyway, I just found out that Swirlix is a trade evolution, so I'm afraid that sucker's off the team. He's also been a bit crap, so I've just been waiting for a reason. I'm going to try out this new squid-lookin' fellow named Inkay, and I saw some Eevees a while back so I might try and get myself a Sylveon.

EDIT - This game's pretty hard, you guys. I've been battling every trainer and doing a little bit of grinding against wild duders, just the yoozh, and I've had more than a few "ohnoohnoohno" moments. I had to give in and use the Exp. Share to give my team a quick bump up for the third Gym Leader.

It turned out to be a waste, though, because Game Freak still hasn't improved the non-existent AI. I threw Honedge out first, she throws out a Mienfoo, and my plan is to do a quick Swords Dance and see how it all goes for me. Then she uses Fake Out, which doesn't affect Honedge, so I figure I'll slip in another Swords Dance. Then she uses Fake Out again, so I Swords Dance to the max and then destroy her entire team with my Ghost-type Quick Attack. Honedge? More like BROnedge, amiriteoramirite?

EDIT AGAIN - Skiddo's out, Helioptile's in. I just had too many Physical attackers and Skiddo was taking his sweet time learning anything except Razor Leaf. Plus, I was under the impression you could just catch a Skiddo and ride it around, but apparently you can only do it on Skiddos from this Ranch you find between two of the cities, and they can't go up stairs so you just have to ride around this little area.

I regret nothing, because Helioptile is the best! He's an Electric type that learns Surf, for some reason, and his ability lets him absorb Water attacks and turn them into health, and he's such a cool little duder. I was training him against Staryus and Claunchers ten levels above him, just relying on Thunderwave and the terrible enemy AI that makes them constantly heal me with water attacks :P

EDIT SOME MORE - k, I'm pretty solid on Greninja, Tyrantrum, Doublade, Heliolisk and Talonflame. I'm using Inkay's evolution Malamar in the last spot, and I think he's really awesome but he just doesn't fit my team. I've got no counters for Dark or Fighting types, so I'm looking for a cool Fairy type special attacker. I'm going to give Sylveon a whirl.

I've also been breeding some Jolly Charmanders for the GTS, and I've discovered that Wonder Trading is the most addictive thing in this whole game. The idea of random trades is so simple, but in practise it's incredibly exciting. Every time I get a non-Jolly Charmander I just Wonder Trade it away. So far I haven't got anything really cool in return, but I like just having a bunch of Pokemon from other people. I got a Honedge from a French guy and a Whismur from someone in Japan! I really hope there's a lottery in this game, because I'm just racking up these Trainer IDs.

#40 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,711 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Well, I accidentally spent the whole afternoon breeding and EV training and Wonder Trading. They've made it so easy to breed the Pokemon you want now. The parent holding an Everstone will pass its nature to the offspring 100% of the time, and it's so easy to trade that you can always have the mother and father with different trainer IDs (so they'll just churn out eggs like a machine). My Talonflame has Flame Body, which halves the time it takes to hatch eggs, and the Day Care is situated on a huge long route that you can just blast along on your bike without paying any attention. And they've brought back the L=A option, so you can play one-handed again! If my 3DS XL's battery wasn't always running out I'd just be playing Pokemon all day long :P

Anyway, I ended up with about thirty Jolly Charmanders, so I traded them away on the GTS until I couldn't think of any more cool Pokemon to ask for (you can actually type in the name of any Pokemon now, so you can ask for ones you haven't 'seen' yet in game). Then I Wonder Traded the rest away, and realised that I just love knowing there's a huge community of Pokemon fans out there. I got matched up with a lot of Japanese and Korean players (I assume because we're in roughly the same time zone), but I got a few French, Italian and German Pokemon with the weirdest nicknames. I eventually started nicknaming all my Charmanders just to keep up. And the community seems to have banded together to make sure everyone has a great time with Wonder Trading. I saw a few Caterpies and Pidgeys that people had obviously just caught, but mostly people are giving away really interesting stuff. I got some guy's Lv 47 Dorapion that had obviously been one of his main dudes, and a few really cool just-hatched things with the right natures.

Some guy in Denmark put up a shiny Quilladin on the GTS. I tapped on it so hard I almost drove my stylus straight through my 3DS, but he wanted a Milotic for it and I have no idea if you can even get one in this game.

I adore this game. This is honestly the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since Silver. I just got my sweet Sylveon, that came from an Italian mother and a German father, and I don't think I'm even halfway through the story yet, and oh man I can't wait to see what I get in my next Wonder Trade. This game's amazing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nintendo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users