Photo

Destiny 2

Destiny

• Please log in to reply
766 replies to this topic

#41 D-man

D-man

A soldier follows orders, a warrior follows his heart.

• 1,296 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

Anyone have an idea of what they want to play as?

I'm really feeling an Awoken Warlock.

tumblr_mlmz00PsPA1qbz8aro1_250.gif

Dracarys

#42 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

Exo Hunter, I think. Maybe a human warlock on a second playthrough.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#43 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

Titan, all the way.  I was a Soldier in Mass Effect, a Warrior in Dragon Age, and combat/stealth centric in just about all others.  Plus, that blue Guardian armor I saw looks snappy! :D

Edited by Halicon, 14 June 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#44 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

Anyone have an idea of what they want to play as?

I'm really feeling an Awoken Warlock.

No way D-man, I'm the Warlock.

Jokes aside, I'm really just looking forward to playing Exo anything. A humanoid robot just sounds cool and there's not a lot of games that let you be super cool sci-fi bipedal robot dudes (except Phantasy Star Universe, lol?).

Old timer

#45 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

Human Titan all the way man. Heavy hitter, heavy demolition guy, overall badass in a tin can. Motto, "Shut up and get behind me."

gdV21HZ.gif

#46 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

I think I'll do Awoken Hunter first. Probably Exo Titan after that.

#47 D-man

D-man

A soldier follows orders, a warrior follows his heart.

• 1,296 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

No way D-man, I'm the Warlock.

Jokes aside, I'm really just looking forward to playing Exo anything. A humanoid robot just sounds cool and there's not a lot of games that let you be super cool sci-fi bipedal robot dudes (except Phantasy Star Universe, lol?).

Suck my ass Zero, that Lock is all up in my business.

tumblr_mlmz00PsPA1qbz8aro1_250.gif

Dracarys

#48 Princess Recon

Princess Recon

You bred raptors?

• Nova Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

Exo Warlock, because what's not cool about a Robot Wizard?

#49 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,108 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Visit the moon. Looking a little better than expected for a MMO. Bungie appears to be doing all of the right things so far to grab my attention.

Next Batch of consoles...........

PS4 Pro - 4.2 Tflops - 2016

Scorpio - 6 Tflops - 2017

NX - 2017 - Mario Mushrooms, and Link's Hat powered device. 

PS5 - 2019/2020 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

XBNext - 2019/2020/2021 (Powered by AMD Zen family APU)

-My old forum.

#50 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,930 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Have you duders seen the box art?

Destiny-Box-Art-Reveal.jpg

Be honest now: how long did it take you to realise that was the back of that guy's helmet? Because I still get tripped up by it every time I see it. You look down at his feet and his gun and it's obvious he's facing away from you, but then the back of his helmet looks exactly like a visor and a breathing tube. Combined with the cape looking pretty poncho-y, I can't help but think of our old friend, Lance Corporal John Halo:

Halo_5.jpg

Maybe it's an actual tactical consideration, to trick enemies into thinking you're facing them when they actually aren't? Canadian Air Force F-18s have fake cockpits painted on their undersides for that exact reason.

Anyway, that new trailer looks super cool, and I'm really looking forward to getting in on the ground floor with a Bungie series because I'm pretty sure I've just missed the Halo train entirely at this point. I've made a few attempts to catch up to it over the years, lying in wait near the tracks and making desperate grabs for a handrail as the Halo train steams past, but I've never been able to get a solid grip. At least with Destiny I'll be in the same... boat as everyone else (curse these mixed metaphors).

btw, I can't wait to see what the Lizard People/Hollow Moon conspiracy theorists make of Destiny's story :P

#51 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'm gonna sound like a heretic for this, but as cool as Destiny looks and as awesome as it and its concept sound it just hasn't really grabbed me yet.  I love Bungie as much as the next guy, but with everything I've seen there's just a certain something missing that I can't quite put my finger on, a certain little switch in the back of my subconscious that games like Halo, Mass Effect, and Portal flip that Destiny really hasn't yet.  It's the same way I feel about Half-life and Borderlands, they're fun games to be sure, and I'll seldom badmouth them as I acknowledge the cool stuff they bring and how they changed things up, but they just don't have the same spark that some games do for me.

And what's all this "boo-hoo"ing I hear about Bungie not making Halo anymore? You guy do realize that 343 Industries is, like, half the Halo team including a lot of big names split off into a different company so Bungie can do their own thing whilst we continue to get Halo-y goodness, right?

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#52 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Only like three people from Bungie went to 343i so Idk where you got half the Halo team from...

Old timer

#53 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

I'm kinda feeling the same way as Loki. Destiny looks like it's gonna be fun, but it hasn't WOW'D me yet. Closest I got to being wow'd was the Giancarlo Esposito Law of the Jungle Trailer, and that in hindsight was pretty much just for the implication that he would be in the game.

But needing for Wow-ing aside, I'm still probably gonna get it once I get a X1/PS4/Or they announce a PC version. I have the feeling that the 360/PS3 version will be lackluster. So until I see results firsthand, those two are a no go for me.

Also, yeah. Halo 4 was fun for like the whole 3 1/2 months that Spartan Ops was going on. If they announced a Season 2 I could be enticed to go back, but only if that happens.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#54 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,839 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:16 AM

Looks like a great game, never really played Halo, only a few hours at a time at a friend's house. This looks great but, if I have to get a new console, I'll be late boarding the Destiny train. This will possibly be my real first taste of Bungie.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#55 Princess Recon

Princess Recon

You bred raptors?

• Nova Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:42 AM

So...who's participating in the Beta?

#56 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,861 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

I pre-ordered the game a long time ago, before they had the Beta incentive. I think they forgot about me... :<

#57 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

You can go to Gamestop/wherever you pre-ordered and ask for a beta key. They cannot deny you one.

Old timer

#58 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,861 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Some new stuff, post-E3:

I'm completely blown away by both the level of detail and fidelity of the characters (DAT HAIR) and the time/weather progression. This is shaping up to be a gorgeous game. 

#59 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

I must make an Optimus Prime exo look alike.

Old timer

#60 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,930 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

k, so remember when they announced that exclusive alpha for PS4 owners at the Sony conference? Turns out they weren't bluffing. I signed up a couple of days ago, got my code last night and just played for a few hours. It's not really my kind of thing, but I think it'll probably be great for people whose kind of thing it is.

It starts you off with that gorgeous character creator up there, where you can make a totally awesome looking robot man or woman. They look so incredibly cool, with these faces made of stark white space-age-polymers or whatever (you can change all the colours of everything, but stark white reminds me of the French robot from Binary Domain and I loved that guy). You can also be a human or a blue human, but why would you? Unfortunately, as soon as you get into the main mission your guy is completely covered by armour and helmet, but when you get back to the hub world you get to see your sweet robo-face in all its glory. That pearly-white noggin casts some sick lens flares if you get into just the right position.

Anyway, the main mission plonks you down in Old Russia, where Tyrion Lannister encourages you to mosey on over to a waypoint to do a thing. I went the opposite direction, of course, and explored for a while. You can order your Speeder Bike to materialise at the touch of a couple of buttons, and it controls just like I assume the hover-y things in Halo control (a Warthog that can strafe). It's surprisingly slow, however, so you're not going to be reenacting Return of the Jedi any time soon (though you can buy new ones, so maybe they go faster). Your duder has a nice jetpack, which is a great help in navigating the world, and there's a neat jump you can make by ramping your Speeder Bike up the wing of a crashed jumbo jet, leaping off it in mid-air and jetpacking your way across the chasm. The shooting feels very Halo-y to me, albeit with left trigger/right trigger iron sights stuff. All the aim-assist and reticle acceleration feels pretty much identical, right down to the way that enemies will run into your crosshairs and 'drag' your view behind them without you touching the right stick (does that make sense? That's the Halo-est thing to me, that reticle stickiness).

Other than that, it's very similar to Borderlands. Numbers fly out of enemies when you shoot them, and the damage you can give and take is based on levels and weapon/armour stats. You can plough through lower-leveled enemies and get destroyed by higher-level ones, you know the drill. The thing I didn't like so much was that, because it's all loot-based, you can't just pick up the weapons your enemies drop when you need something different. It's still the two-weapon system from Halo, but if you want to change the weapon in your primary slot you have to open your character sheet and change it manually with their mouse cursor interface. The game doesn't pause when you do it, though, so it feels a bit awkward to be. It does work well enough once you get used to it, but I can't help but think something like GTA V's weapon wheel would have been more elegant in practice. Maybe holding the weapon switch button to bring up a quick-select menu of some kind? I guess it still wouldn't change much in the heat of the moment, though, because you can't exactly go comparing weapon stats when eight guys are murdering you.

Anyway, it's an RPG-ish, loot-game setup, so picking up new weapons in the middle of a fight isn't really its thing. For better or worse, you pretty much just blaze away with your two weapon loadout until everyone's dead. I ran into situations where I felt like I really needed some kind of elemental affinity to take down a guy's shields or something (occasionally I'd find guys whose health bars were yellow, and I don't know what that means), but... well, I didn't have that stuff, so I had to just dump bullets until it looked like something was happening. There's no real danger of running out of ammo for your primary weapon, at least. I don't know if it's class-specific, but I played as a Titan and I could only throw one grenade at a time with a really long cooldown timer before the next one. The melee attack was really useful, and I had that big ground-pound-y special move, but I was still doing a lot of blazing with an assault rifle that wasn't exactly lighting my soul aflame. At one point a big capital 'E' Event occurred where a great big chubby spider mech got dropshipped down on my position and Tyrion told me I might want to look into it. I politely declined, because I honestly didn't know what to do against it. Fire a thousand assault rifle bullets at it? Apparently there are heavy weapons, though, but I didn't find any.

So once you beat the first mission, the game takes you up to the hub world. I ran around and explored for a while, but I quickly discovered this wasn't no Mass Effect Citadel. It's kind of a dull, music-less place where you pretty much just quietly run between various vendors because they're the only things you can interact with. I guess it's only meant to be a meeting point for people to group up with their friends, though. I bought some stuff, couldn't work out how to sell anything (I think you just 'dismantle' it into money), then it was back to my spaceship to plan the next mission. Which turned out to be me getting dropped into the same spot in Old Russia again, only now there were beacons all over the place which you can hold the Square button on to get missions. I did about ten of'em, and they were all either 'Go here and kill a marked guy' or 'Go here and hold the Square button on a thing'. It's kind of a pain to navigate the place, because it's a huge open level that's quite linear at the same time. You have to go through the same tunnels, buildings and catacombs all the time, and enemies respawn almost immediately. You can fight a room full of guys, move on the the next one, then double back immediately and they'll all be back again. It seems like the missions are randomly-generated, too, because I got two identical ones twice in a row: fight your way into this building, dark room with two guys, big dark room with lots of zombie dudes, big oil-refinery looking room with wizard and tons of goons, upstairs bit with more guys and a shielded captain (kill that guy). Twice in a row.

But, hey, it's an alpha. I'm sure the full game would have loads of sweet story missions and way more Peter Dinklage. I don't know if it'll end up being my kind of thing (especially because I'm pretty much immune to Diable-style loot lust sorta things), but if you've ever wanted to play an awesome-looking Borderlands-ish thing with Halo-y shooting then I think this'll be right up your alley. I think I'll check back in closer to release to see what the singleplayer campaign looks like.

EDIT - Oh, and I definitely heard Claudia Black and Gina Torres, and I'm 90% sure on Nathan Fillion and Jennifer Hale, too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Destiny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users