The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7612 replies to this topic

#7521 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

I know, right? Where did that come from? That'd be an incredible get for Microsoft, but I guess I don't understand how any of this works because I don't see how it'd be good news for EA. I'd think EA's value and profitability would only go down if all their games suddenly had to be Microsoft-exclusive rather than being multiplatform, right? Surely their shareholders wouldn't be happy about that. Unless Microsoft buys them and still allows them to make multiplatform games, I suppose, but then that can't be right.

EDIT - EA has delayed Anthem to 2019, but they don't want you to call it a delay

DU0cp6fXUAA98bW.jpg

EDIT - So if it wasn't yet obvious that the Switch is a smash hit for Nintendo, today we have confirmation that, in less than a year, the Switch has outsold the Wii U's entire lifetime sales. Super Mario Odyssey has also sold over 9 million copies in a little over two months since launch.

#7522 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

Speaking of delays, did anyone actually think RDR2 was gonna make it for a springtime release?

Hope you didn't bet on that since it's actually coming on October 26th.

Also new screens yo

bb98bc168c6a89180a326def291efeff23f6bb51

cfb666840877705bcb1d4c35e171c43431d3f3f0

49c7d29293f89dfef95969fde62f5c27e7cc780c

6cff08109cc9096e816240f6b154f725f4fd17de

5b5313332394d20cd7c3c91987529d9dd15a242e

750001bd09b2452ef0d01fab0965ff76d63c535c

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#7523 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Speaking of delays, did anyone actually think RDR2 was gonna make it for a springtime release?

Hope you didn't bet on that since it's actually coming on October 26th.

At least it's still this year, I suppose (until the next delay hits). October is Spring in the cool people hemisphere down here, anyway :P

EDIT - The new PS4 system update has added in a system-wide supersampling toggle for the PS4 Pro:

eIWAKGd.png

Before this there were a few Pro-enhanced games that would lock users out of their 4K/higher resolution display modes if the PS4 was connected to a 1080p screen, for no real reason. Now you can toggle this setting on and have the system downsample a 1440p image (or whatever it is) to your 1080p TV, giving you a nice extra bit of anti-aliasing.

And you can now download a benchmarking tool for the upcoming Final Fantasy XV PC port.

EDIT - Here's an interesting new thing called The Peterson Case, a horror game set in Roswell, New Mexico in 1947:

It starts with the player walking down a long hallway towards a woman in a fancy dress with her back turned, and I was very impressed that she didn't turn around and scream with a big horrible giant mouth that opened too far when he reached her.

EDIT - This Kingdom Hearts 3 business looks like a pretty neat thing to play. Not, like, understand the story of, but certainly play :P

#7524 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:52 PM

It looks like there are still some Resistance members fighting the good fight from behind Konami's walls. This is from Metal Gear Survive:

feUWdmM.png

M and G are KIA (i.e. Metal Gear is dead), KJPFOREVER = Kojima Productions Forever, and I think calling the designers hurtful names is self-explanatory.

btw one of those 'FINAL BOSS AND ENDING' videos for MG Survive popped up in my Recommended Videos feed on Youtube, and I watched it (because I'm never going to play that game). Boy oh boy it was poor. Remember when Metal Gear games were associated with great bossfights, particularly the final ones? Those days are long gone.

#7525 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

btw one of those 'FINAL BOSS AND ENDING' videos for MG Survive popped up in my Recommended Videos feed on Youtube, and I watched it (because I'm never going to play that game). Boy oh boy it was poor. Remember when Metal Gear games were associated with great bossfights, particularly the final ones? Those days are long gone.

Spoiler

On the plus side, given the lack of attention this game got prior to launch and only negative aspects being brought forward post launch (like having to pay premium currency to unlock an additional character slot), yeah, this game is going to flop.  

Which is a little sad, since apparently, despite the BS systems, it's quite an enjoyable game.  Would have been better if it also didn't have the MGS IP slapped onto it for no real reason, but whatever.  Konami isn't exactly looking to sell games anymore.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7526 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:30 AM

Metro.co.uk calls Metal Gear Survive "a massive flop" in their new article.

The PlayStation 4 version only made it as far as number 13 in the individual formats chart and accounted for 68% of all sales, a legacy of the franchise still being closely associated with the PlayStation brand. The Xbox One version only got as high as 33.

By comparison, the last Metal Gear spin-off, PlatinumGames’ Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance from 2013, sold 85% more copies in its first week. Chart-Track has not revealed how much 2015’s Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain sold in comparison.

When you're getting embarrassingly outsold by a Platinum game, the kings of low sales, then you know you done screwed up. Here's to hoping Konami at least give us some ports of the MGS HD Collection to the new consoles and PC before they slink back to the Pachinko business. I'd ask for some nice Fox Engine remakes of the classic Metal Gears and MGSes, but considering what I got when I wished Konami would make a new MGS game with MGSV's gameplay I know there's an evil monkey's paw out there that's going to twist my wish into something terrible.

In other news, Microsoft has announced some new Xbox One X 4K patches for backwards compatible 360 games: Crackdown, Witcher 2, Forza Horizon and Fable Anniversary. And here's an example of how big the upgrade is, with Crackdown:

compareiqsnm.gif

While I haven't really been digging Microsoft's output this generation in terms of new games, I think they're doing an incredible job with backwards compatibility. The Xbox One X is quickly becoming the ultimate Xbox machine as they add more and more original Xbox and X360 games to the BC list and roll out these patches that quite honestly put some actual remasters to shame. For comparison, Nintendo just rereleased Bayonetta 1 and 2 on the Switch for the same price they cost back in 2014, and they're still 720p. Meanwhile Microsoft is steadily working on these patches that ratchet these old games all the way up to 4K, and not only is the upgrade free, but you don't even need to buy the game again if you already own it. Good stuff.

#7527 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:25 AM

The upgrade to the original Forza Horizon is insane. It honestly doesn't look much worse than the current Forza Horizon 3.

'Straya's fun and all, but I think it's time to go back to Colorado 2012.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

#7528 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

'Straya's fun and all, but I think it's time to go back to Colorado 2012.

You're dead to me.

Hey, but everyone shut up, because the PREY TWITTER ACCOUNT IS TEASING SOMETHING!

One of my GOATiest GOTIES of 2017, I never thought we'd see hide nor hair of Prey again, because it seemed like a huge bomb. People apparently don't want to play awesome immersive sims set on space stations full of scary alien monsters where you can pick stuff out of trashcans and convert the molecules into new guns, so none of you jabronis bought it. But now there's life! I don't know if it'll be DLC, or a standalone expansion like Dishonored's Death of the Outsider, or maybe a SEEEEQUEEEEL (it won't be a sequel), but either way I'm there.

Something to look forward to at Bethesda's E3 conference, I suppose.

EDIT - Speaking of the Bethesda E3 show, they've announced it'll be on June 10th this year:

Just over three months until E3, you guys! E THREE! Our favourite time of the year!

#7529 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:33 PM

The rumour mill is churning, boyeees:

- The special guest character in Soul Calibur IV might be none other than the White Wolf, Gwynnbleid, Gwent Grandmaster, Witcher Geralt of Rivia

- The next Call of Duty is all but confirmed to be Black Ops IIII. As in '4', but not 'IV' because that's too pedestrian. The clocktower at my university had 'IIII' instead of 'IV', too, and I always wondered why. Anyway, look forward to another COD stage demo at E3, I suppose. Schedule your pee breaks now.

And in non-rumour news, the Devil May Cry HD Collection is out next week, but Twitch Prime subscribers can get the first DMC on PC for free right now (it seems like you have to play it in some kind of Twitch client?), and it seems bad. Someone's put together a video comparing it to DMC running on the PS2 emulator PCSX2:

Capcom, for God's sake. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since it's technically pre-release and there might be a day one patch or something, but if this is really the best they've got for some of their most beloved games, in the year that Devil May Cry V is finally happening... Come on, Capcom. You're charging money for a port of a port of a seventeen year old game, and you're being outdone by a fan-made emulator.

Come on.

EDIT - NINTENDO DIRECT INCOMING, BAYBEEEEEEE

DXsNkfeU8AIZZgN.jpg

#7530 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:24 PM

Nintendo Direct stuff:

- Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and original Luigi's Mansion remakes are coming to the 3DS

- Ports of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, Okami HD, South Park, Crash Trilogy and Undertale are coming to Switch

- New Splatoon 2 singleplayer expansion where you play as an Octoling

- Another ARMS update

- Octopath Traveler is out on July 13th

- Dark Souls Remastered is getting a public online test before launch, and a Solaire Amiibo:

DXzIKecUMAAWtRm.0.jpg

- Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes has a trailer:

- Smash is coming to the Switch this year, with BotW Link and Inklings:

No word on Metroid, Pokemon, Bayo 3 or my Wonderful 101 port, but it was a pretty good show overall.

EDIT - Also Black Ops IIII and The Division 2 were announced today.

#7531 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:46 AM

Now, I don't know if you've heard of Valve.  They're the guys who own Steam, and back in the day, they used to make games.  Well, according to Gabe Newell himself, Valve is going to start making new games again, outside of the 3 planned VR titles and Artifact, you know, that DOTA collectible card game that you probably purged from your memory and no one was asking for?  The reasoning for it?  Valve is jealous of Nintendo.  No, really, those words actually came out of Newell's mouth:

"We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo," Newell said. "When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."

However, this was made at a presentation Newell was doing to give details about Artifact, and....  Well....

You're not going to like some of the key points.  See, those key points are:

• The game WILL NOT BE FREE TO PLAY.  Yes, you read that right, a Collectible Card Game is NOT free to play.
  • Some sort of Shopping Phase in the game (No details given)
  • Opening card packs and building card decks is being made to be a "Social and Competitive Experience", meaning there is a clear social aspect to opening card packs ($5 says Valve is going to be selling card packs when the game is live)
  • Steam Workshop (meh) and Steam Marketplace enabled.  You know, that community market place that Valve takes a cut of that allows the community to buy and sell items like Steam Trading Cards, in-game Cosmetics items, and Lootboxes and Keys (the thing that propelled it on PC) and has created incentives for cheaters or AFK bots to farm items and sell said items.
  • No singleplayer content outside of Bot Matches
  • Slated to release on PC this year, a tournament set for Q1 2019, and iOS and Android releases in Mid-2019

Perhaps the biggest slap in the face when you think about it is that Artifact is not only using Source 2, but is in fact, if I recall correctly, also Valve's first confirmed game running on Source 2 (I don't even know if The Lab, Valve's free HTC "demo" is running Source 1 or 2).  That....  Doesn't exactly inspire confidence on how Source 2 is going to be...

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7532 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:26 PM

Now, I don't know if you've heard of Valve.  They're the guys who own Steam, and back in the day, they used to make games.

Valve? Valve... Oh, wait, those are the guys who make those Steam Machines, right?

Speaking of things long since gone from the video game realm, remember Drew Karpyshyn? One of the original minds behind Mass Effect, lead writer on the first game, worked on the second, didn't have anything to do with the third (ahem*almost as though he was the reason it was good in the first place*ahem)? He left Bioware in 2012 after working on The Old Republic for a while, but then he came back in June last year to work on a little game they have in the oven by the name of Anthem. It was pretty much the only reason I had a little bit of tentative hype for that game.

Well he's left again. According to his own site, he focusing on his own original novels and doing a bit of video game work with a studio called Fogbank on the side. Best of luck to the feller, I suppose.

#7533 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:51 AM

:o !!!

I hope it's true - I already had this game hovering in my Amazon cart, and Geralt would really sweeten the deal.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#7534 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:16 AM

Alright, you guys, I just want you to know that if Capcom doesn't give me Devil May Cry V at E3 this year after ALL THIS TEASING, we are going to have words:

That is such a cool trailer for some free DLC in a different game.

EDIT - A listing for 'Splinter Cell 2018' briefly appeared on Amazon:

ySFjWIH.png

I'm more than ready for Splinter Cell to come back, as long as Ubisoft doesn't Ubisoft it into a GaaS always-online grind-'em-up (he says, knowing in his heart that they totally will).

EDIT AGAIN - Looks like Shadow of the Tomb Raider is finally going to be revealed tomorrow.

#7535 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:06 AM

GERALT IS REAL!

And so is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I hope you like CG trailers for announcements of announcements!

#7536 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:24 AM

POPULAR

GERALT IS REAL!

2aj7LVS.png

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#7537 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:59 AM

Geralt is like the perfect fit for a Soul Calibur guest character. Well, I guess anyone who uses a weapon of basically any kind would also be a perfect fit, since Soul Calibur doesn't exactly have the most distinctive style, but I like Geralt so I declare him perfect. He's a better fit than Darth Vader and Yoda were, at least :P

So remember when I said the Prey Twitter was teasing something? THEY'RE TEASING MORE!

DYWOVDuXkAEqXFB.jpg

If you can look past their gross bloodshot eyes, you'll see that that calendar in the middle is marked June 10th, the day of Bethesda's E3 conference. And, furthermore, there's some ARG business going on with a Twitter account called KasmaCorp (an in-universe rival to the Transtar corporation that built the space station you gallivant about in Prey). They're teasing something about the moon, and a moon base:

DYXYSjVX0AAdE_K.jpg

Prey, you guys!

#7538 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:19 PM

I am *very* excited for Bethesda's E3 conference. I know it's cool to drop turds on the main studios' doorstep, but as a publisher, they've got one of the best stables around between Wolfenstein, Doom, Dishonored, Prey, etc.

We definitely know Prey stuff is gonna be there, but I'm gonna be that guy and make the call.

DOOM SEQUEL, ID. 2019. MAKE THE DREAM HAPPEN.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#7539 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:20 AM

I don't want to shock anyone to their core or anything, but I'm just pretty excited for E3 in general. Let's count this baby off:

Bethesda: Prey and maybe a new Doom and some Wolfenstein DLC and maybe even Dishonored 3! Remember when games used to be singleplayer and didn't have lootboxes in them? Bethesda does!

Microsoft: They're killing it so hard with backwards compatibility stuff that I feel like they could rock our faces with a surprise announce that they're bringing their Xbox 360 and OG Xbox emulator to PC. That Ori sequel should be awesome, and I don't know maybe they'll bring back Scalebound.

Ubisoft: Beyond Good & Evil 2 is real! Assassin's Creed is good again! Mario + Rabbids seemed to sell pretty well, so maybe they've got new weird Switch exclusives on the horizon. What a time to be alive.

Sony: More big expensive singleplayer games like we like, Kojima will probably be there, and DEEEVVVILLL MAAAAAY CRYYYYYYYYY V

Nintendo: The Wii U is dead and buried and Nintendo can go back to being Nintendo again, with Metroids and Bayonettas! Can you imagine DMCV and Bayonetta 3 at the same show? I'm going to die for real.

EA: lol nevermind

I know I might say this literally every year, but this E3? You don't want to miss this one.

#7540 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

DOOM SEQUEL, ID. 2019. MAKE THE DREAM HAPPEN.

Well, in terms of the series starting, it was Wolfenstien, the Doom, then Quake.  

Bethesda has been reviving said series, in the order of Wolfenstien: TNO/TOB, then Doom 2016, and now Quake Champions.  We have since gotten Wolfenstien 2: TNC, so...

It stands for reason that something Doom related (other than VFR) will have some details soon.

Now, as for E3/EAPlay itself, I will provide a list of what we can expect to see this year.  And I will not be the dasher of a certain person *cough* Ocelot *cough* and say a certain game will likely not be at E3 this year.  Instead, will focus on what will be there, what will likely be there, and what we can speculate to be there.  

To kick things off, EA and EAPlay prior to E3 itself.  At this point, if you don't know that EA's poster child studio of DICE will be the main attraction, then what rock are you under?  Battlefield 2018 will be the spot light.  EA will also talk about all the new sports titles for this year.  Chances are we'll more details about Anthem there as well.  Maybe Respawn's Star Wars title.  And feel free to correct me because I don't know it's actual release date, but likely more about A Way Out (I know it's a 2018 title, but I don't know if it's release before or after E3).  

Next, lets go Ubisoft.  Ubi is a bit of a mystery.  There's only really one or two things that are known, The Division 2 and maybe The Crew 2, but that one might not be there on account of release dates, since it's set to release June 29th.  Beyond that, I really don't know what to expect.  Maybe new South Park game?  Maybe Beyond Good and Evil 2, but Ubi has been REALLY quiet when it comes to that.  Maybe the rumored new Splinter Cell title?  Maybe a Watch_Dogs 3?  Maybe Assassins Creed Origins DLC?  Only Ubi knows.

Bethesda, however, will be a lot like Ubisoft in that regard too.  What exactly will they be talking about?  Besides the Prey stuff, which they've been teasing like crazy, what else could they show off?  Bethesda is more of a wildcard for E3 shows, especially since all they stuff they show off will be available to play at some point in the same year, or if not by the years end, then before Spring the following year.  Maybe a New Doom?  More Quake Champions stuff?  More The Evil Within stuff?  And what will their "And one more thing" thing be this year?  The final 3 Fallout 4 DLC and Wolfenstien 2 reveals from 2016 and 2017 were basically expected in hindsight.  What could they have in their pocket this year, because with their little Bethesda-land bit from last year, they did say there was some stuff that wasn't ready to be revealed.

Microsoft likely has a lot of secrets they've been holding on for 2018.  What is all but confirmed is primarily Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2.  What isn't know is what they haven't told us yet.  Maybe new Halo or Gears of War?  Time feels about right for at least a reveal.  Maybe stuff for Forza 7?  Maybe some new stuff too.  We know Microsoft has been looking to pad out their Exclusive line up, especially when compared to Sony.  What I do speculate is maybe some Virtual Reality compatibility for the Xbox One X to either the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift.  After all, the One X does seem to be VR compatible, and announcing support for either the Vive or Rift on the One X could result in a bump in sales for both sides.  

Speaking of Sony, they have a lot on their plate to show.  The Spiderman game will likely see more details, as well as Death StrandingDetroit: Gone HumanThe Last of Us 2, and God of War are all titles that all but confirmed.  In fact it will be more surprising to NOT see any of these titles this year.  You guys may have to fill out what ever else for Sony.  I haven't been a big fan of Sony's stuff and lack a PS4 so I don't really pay attention to their shows.  These were just the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Nintendo?  Well one of you guys can also do that.  I've never really paid much attention to Nintendo, so I honestly have less of an idea of what to expect than I did with Sony.

5Sa8Z49.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users