Photo

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Zeddler

What is your favourite feature of Breath of the Wild?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

A Gamespot article comparing the differences between the two consoles.

• Both launch on the same day, March 3.
  • Both have a frame rate of 30 FPS.
  • Both versions of the game offer the same content.
  • On a TV, the Nintendo Switch version of the game renders in 900p while the Wii U version renders in 720p.
  • The Nintendo Switch version has higher-quality environmental sounds. As a result, the sound of steps, water, grass, etc. are more realistic and enhance the game's open-air feel.
  • The physical copy of the Wii U version will require 3 GB of available memory on the Wii U system or an external drive.
  • Some icons, such as on-screen buttons, differ between the two versions.
  • A Special Edition and Master Edition of the Wii U version are not available

#42 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

So the biggest difference is the quality of the hoof beats and the slightest upgrade in HD quality?

Cool. I'll play it on the WiiU then.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#43 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

The thing that has me really worried is exactly how 30 that 30FPS is on the Wii U. Digital Foundry did their analysis on the Wii U footage from back at E3, and it would drop to the low 20s basically any time you did anything. Hit guys, turned the camera, set things on fire, anything:

Now, that's E3, of course, so it's a seven-month-old build at best. They've had plenty of time to get it up to speed, and we if there's one thing you can rely on Nintendo for it's stable performance. I really hope we see more footage of the Wii U before launch. I don't mind an install (I just checked and I have just enough space on my Wii U to get through the whole generation on the included 32GB storage :P), but really choppy games give me a headache every time and I'm going to need to play a lot of Zelda. Meanwhile the Switch version is basically locked at 30FPS 99% of the time, according to DF.

I do think there'll be a few more advantages to the Switch version, though:

- Faster load times, due to the cartridge

- Sleep mode, so you won't have to find a savepoint when you want to quit for the night or sit through a load time when begin your next play session

- It'll sure be quieter than the Wii U. I recently played Collar Doobie BLOP Ops 2 on my Wii U, and that noisy little console with its constantly grinding and jerking disc drive almost drove me mad :P

On the other hand, though, the Wii U emulator CEMU has been making some pretty amazing strides recently, and while it's not going to be ready at launch, at some point down the line you'll be able to play Breath of the Wild in 4K, maybe even 60FPS (spoilerised giant picture of Queen Bayo in 4K):

Spoiler

#44 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

Officially requesting a poll asking who plans to buy BotW for the Wii U and to weed out any lunatics buying a $300 box for literally a single game.
(shut up, I didn't do exactly that for bloodborne.)

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#45 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

Officially requesting a poll asking who plans to buy BotW for the Wii U and to weed out any lunatics buying a $300 box for literally a single game.
(shut up, I didn't do exactly that for bloodborne.)

I'm abstaining from voting on the grounds that I am an incorrigible slave to hype and, despite all my belly-aching over the last couple of days, I can't say with any degree of certainty that I'll actually stick to my guns :P

It's probably telling of just how ludicrously overpriced the thing is in Australia that it isn't even close to being sold out anywhere. 

#46 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

I'm importing the Master's Edition from the US. It's going to cost me a fortune.
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#47 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:05 AM

81s%2BCBI1CQL._SL1500_.jpg

Look at this big friendly man. I wonder where his weakpoint is.

I think I like blue tunic and ponytail Link way more than I ever liked green tunic and silly hat Link. Maybe it's just that this is the first Zelda game where I've followed it all the way through the hype cycle, but Breath of the Wild Link just does it for me in a way that no previous Link (except maybe Wind Waker) has. Even if he did steal his look from Ashitaka in Princess Mononoke, he makes it work so well :P

#48 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

You guys, Nintendo has discovered options menus!

C3bZ9G1XUAMQC6Z.jpg

You might be wondering what 'Change Jump Button' does, so maybe this'll clear things up:

DCl5fIa.jpg

Jump is on X by default, which is clearly madness, so hopefully this'll let you change it to B like a proper video game.

#49 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

I was about to demand what the hell kind of video games you've been playing that use 'B' for a jump button.

...Then I saw where the B and X buttons are on this controller. Yeesh.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#50 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:17 AM

It's 2017, and if you don't have a really good reason for not mapping Jump to the bottom button of your control diamond (whether that's a Nintendo B, a Sony X or a Microsoft A), we need to have some words. Mirror's Edge gets a pass because they designed a whole new control scheme around first-person platforming and you absolutely need to be able to use the right analogue stick and jump at the same time in that game. But if you're just doing a standard 2D or third-person jumpy-climby whatever? Come on, son. We all know what the Jump button is.

The Last Guardian had it on Triangle and it was infuriating.

#51 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

DLC/Season pass confirmed.

vBy4mta.jpg

Purchasable at launch for $20USD

EDIT: Remembered how to post videos.

#52 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:21 AM

It honestly sounds kind of lacking. I would never purchase a season pass regardless, but this seems like it adds very little of substance. 

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#53 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:47 PM

What do we say to the god of death Season Passes? We say no, because we don't buy Season Passes. Well, sometimes we buy Season Passes once all the DLC they contain has come out and we know for sure that we want all of it. I suppose I should say we don't buy Season Passes before that, because then we are feeding the beast that will eventually destroy us. It doesn't need to be fed. Don't feed it.

I thought you were cooler than this, Nintendo. Don't be this way. You're going to give me a new dungeon months from now, and you already want me to open my wallet? Just don't do it. Don't ask for twenty bucks before you have even so much as a screenshot to show. The game itself isn't even out for another two weeks and change, and already I know I won't have the full experience until I shell out more money.

STOP DOING THIS, VIDEO GAMES.

(here's a nice gif, tho)

giphy.gif

#54 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:22 AM

STOP DOING THIS, VIDEO GAMES.

No real reason for them to stop if it makes them money.  That would be like a high end restaurant stop serving one whole type of entrees just because a small amount of people complain.

Plus, so long as at least one company can profit off of it, the rest will follow.  Video game publishers and developers aren't little isolationist companies that just block out anything involving other companies.  They see what they do and what works.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#55 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:47 AM

No real reason for them to stop if it makes them money.  That would be like a high end restaurant stop serving one whole type of entrees just because a small amount of people complain.

Plus, so long as at least one company can profit off of it, the rest will follow.  Video game publishers and developers aren't little isolationist companies that just block out anything involving other companies.  They see what they do and what works.

The other thing we don't do is make excuses for corporations that don't have our best interests at heart :P

#56 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

The other thing we don't do is make excuses for corporations that don't have our best interests at heart :P

And?

You do realize the point of a business is to make money, not to care what their customers think, unless it can make them more.  And season passes in games?  Shown to make money.  So excuse me for being a realist and saying they don't care how much the vocal minority complain about them.  They have the history to prove that they sell well and make them money.  The only way the game industry will stop with season passes is if nearly every consumer out there goes out and stops buying them one day., which by the way will never happen, because the average consumer doesn't really care and will buy they based off of having a lump pay out to all the future DLCs at a lower price seems like a good deal for them.  Devs and publishers see they work, they will keep putting them in because they would seem insane not to because it makes money.  They don't care what the vocal minority has to say, and neither does the average consumer, who chances are won't change their mind anyway.

So again, sorry for being a realist and realizing that no amount of arguing as to why someone shouldn't get season passes and why they are wrong won't chance anyone's minds.  Just not going to happen today, nor tomorrow or even in the next few years.

You guys can try and fight this the same way you have been.  But just remember, as of how things are right now, your aren't fighting an uphill battle.  You're trying to fight one up a cliff face.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#57 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

*blahblahblah*

We know this. We all know this. That doesn't mean it is good for the consumer, nor should that mean that companies should be immune to criticism if they choose to engage in such practices. You're not enlightening anyone.

Anyway, I'm likely going to hold off on getting Zelda for a month or two, since Nioh just released and Horizon is a couple weeks away, and then Nier comes out around the same time as Zelda. I'd like to see how it actually performs on the Wii U as well.

#58 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:37 AM

Polygon has pulled a Polygon and accidentally put up their Breath of the Wild preview ahead of the embargo. They took it down, but this is the internet after all, so there's an archive of it here. Choice quotes:

Breath of the Wild respects your intelligence as a player more than any Legend of Zelda game before it (with the possible exception of 2013’s 3DS release A Link Between Worlds).

Lets get Breath of the Wild’s demand that you take it seriously out of the way first, in case you haven’t been following the interviews and narrative surrounding it in the last year or so. Breath of the Wild is, without question or debate, the hardest Zelda game of the last twenty years. In fact, as an “old” who literally grew up playing the original Zelda games on NES and SNES when they came out, I’d argue it’s the hardest Zelda game period. The first twenty minutes or so are pretty low key — you can kill the scrub bokoblins and other minor enemies you meet without much trouble using nothing more than a tree branch picked up off the ground. But once you leave the initial learning spaces and venture into more typical zones, you’re probably going to die.

The geographic options in front of me felt almost overwhelming right from the start, and that was just in the opening plateau that serves as the game’s tutorial space. Once you obtain a specific item that allows you to leave that plateau, Hyrule is your oyster. It just happens to be an oyster full of really angry monsters and ancient death machines that will murder you if they see you.

That respect radiates outward. The puzzle logic in Breath of the Wild feels legitimately logical, and smartly physics-based. There are optional shrines scattered throughout Hyrule that act as mini puzzle dungeons, and almost without exception, they’ve all been a lot of fun to figure out. After more than two dozen of them, Breath of the Wild also doesn’t seem out of ideas.

And so far, this is the thing I’m most struck by. Breath of the Wild has so far managed to integrate a steady stream of new ideas and twists on existing Zelda concepts, including weapon durability and variety. Example: boomerangs are now dual use tools that can be wielded as melee weapons or thrown in traditional Zelda fashion, but if you do the latter, you’ll need to be quick and catch it on the way back. Every weapon I’ve found so far is a finite tool as well, so I’ve learned not to get too attached.

This is written by Arthur Gies, the guy playing in that infamous Doom gif, so take the difficulty statements with a grain of salt, but everything else sounds amazing. You have to actually catch your boomerangs! It sounds like the preview embargo will lift in another couple of hours, and full reviews will go live on March 2nd.

EDIT - A giant storm of amazing gifs:

Spoiler

GZEEEJ.gif

pgPPEm.gif

hN2n0kE.gif

2CTSjf0.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

lfbx5bO.jpg

#59 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:57 AM

Wow, those ragdoll deaths; I, too, can't wait to pot lid surf to my doom. I'm very excited to get my hands on it. 

giphy.gif

#60 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,978 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

So, hey you guys, I don't know how much faith we put into Metacritic and the whole review establishment these days, but... everyone gave Breath of the Wild a 10 and it's currently equal second-highest-rated video game ever. Only Ocarina of Time has a 99 rating on Metacritic; BotW is rubbing shoulders with such esteemed company as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Soul Calibur and... oh, GTA IV.

Well, GTA IV's presence on that list kind of puts a damper on things, and shows just how much game reviewers can be slaves to hype, so take it with a grain of salt. But I do think there's been a notable change in review scores over the past few years, with reviewers taking things more seriously and not doling out the 10s like candy. It's been nine years since a game got a 98 on Metacritic, and seventeen years if you write off GTA IV's reviews as a shared delusion the game industry would rather forget.

You guys? I think this game might be pretty good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users