• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:14 PM

Huh, maybe it's an eVGA. I had one of those that kept working for five years, the last three days were after a capacitor exploded. It had no performance issues and I only noticed because of the electrolyte fluid smell. RIP zombie mobo.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#22 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,858 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

Time to breath some life back in here. By the grace of federal tax returns, I have finally been able to purchase the last remaining parts to complete my new PC, a project that I began as far back as October. Who knew that really expensive things could take so long to get together? 

The finishing pieces should be received by moi by the middle of the week, and I can barely contain my excitement. I'm looking forward to the challenge of putting together another PC piece by piece, component by component. And I'm equal parts anxious and excited to dive in to the world of overclocking and liquid cooling. What follows is the make up of the build:

• Cooler Master HAF-X case
  • MSI Gaming Z170 M3 motherboard
  • Intel i7 6700K Skylake CPU
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 980 GPU
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (x2)
  • Western Digital 2TB Black HDD
  • EVGA 750W Modular PSU
  • Corsair H105 CPU Liquid Cooler
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3000 RAM

All in all, about $2,700. I never actually summed up the total cost before. Oh geez. I hope everything works on the first try! 

#23 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:31 PM

nnnnffff, very jealous of that sweet build, my GTX 770 is still keeping me going but the cracks are beginning to show. I really want to upgrade but I want to see those new pascal cards before making my choice, at the very least because they will cause the price of the GTX 980ti to drop like a stone I'm sure.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#24 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,709 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:47 PM

• Cooler Master HAF-X case
  • MSI Gaming Z170 M3 motherboard
  • Intel i7 6700K Skylake CPU
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 980 GPU
  • Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (x2)
  • Western Digital 2TB Black HDD
  • EVGA 750W Modular PSU
  • Corsair H105 CPU Liquid Cooler
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3000 RAM

I know I'm becoming an old person now because my first thought was "Oh yeah, those hot EVGA 10-year warranties" :P

nnnnffff, very jealous of that sweet build, my GTX 770 is still keeping me going but the cracks are beginning to show. I really want to upgrade but I want to see those new pascal cards before making my choice, at the very least because they will cause the price of the GTX 980ti to drop like a stone I'm sure.

There's some preliminary information out there about the first wave of Pascal cards, the 1070 and 1080, to be released in June. It seems like the 1080 will be roughly equal to a 980Ti. 8GB of GDDR5 on both.

I'm torn here, because my 670 is well over four years old now and I'm really hurting. Mirror's Edge Catalyst ran fairly well for me on Medium settings, but I daren't even try something like Quantum Break, and I don't want to have to play Deus Ex Mankind Divided on Low. On the other hand, I want to buy a 4K monitor at some point, and there's nothing out there right now that can handle gaming at 4K. I don't want to buy a new card that's made rubbish the moment I get a new monitor, y'know?

But then, I'm pretty sure they don't even make 4K 144Hz monitors yet, and it might be years before they reach a price I'm willing to pay, so maybe I'm wringing my hands over nothing. Maybe I'll stick with my 1920x1200 monitor for a few more years and buy a cheap 970 when the new cards come out, which will keep me going until it's time for a really big upgrade.

#25 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

As far as I'm concerned, because I love action games, there's absolutely no point in me getting a 4K monitor in the forseeable future until I can get 120hz+ 4K monitor and run it without selling some vital organs to pay for the GPU. I've got a 1080p monitor right now and it basically allows my crappy 770 to punch above it's weight.

#26 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,709 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:43 PM

Nvidia dropped some megatons today:

L0Pb.png

M0Pb.png

80Pb.png

RGNguey.jpg

I think I'm going to be getting a 1070, assuming they can keep them on shelves. These things are going to sell like hotcakes made of cocaine.

#27 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

I literally just dropped $120 on an ASUS VS228H-P monitor finally bringing myself out of the dark ages of using some generic HP monitor we've had in the house since 2007 or so. I didn't realize games were supposed to look this good. 

But now of course this god-tier GT 1070/1080 comes out and I also realized my CPU is going to need an upgrade, so the coffers are being readied for being emptied. My CPU is close to being on the precipice of allowing me to game on whatever the hell I want at max graphics settings and that simply isn't acceptable. 

nY1rpGl.gif

#28 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,858 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

Got the new build up and running, just need to grab an additional SATA cable to hook up my HDD and everything will be set to go. Though I am experiencing intense buyer's remorse over my pitiful 980 purchased at full price, now that the 10xx series has been unveiled. Oh well.

#29 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,709 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:16 PM

You bought an EVGA, though, so you should be eligible for their step up program. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it's something I've always thought sounded neat. You send them back your card and pay a certain fee and they'll send you the newer one, basically. It's probably worth checking out.

#30 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,858 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

Huh, that's neat. I've never heard of any manufacturer running a program like that. Unfortunately for me, I purchased my card back in January and the cut-off date is within 90 days of purchase. But I'll definitely keep this Step Up thing in mind for future builds. 

#31 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,858 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

Double post: I never saw the appeal of case badges until I got a few of my own to show off! :lol:

13131295_10153584394918597_4023978578933

#32 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

After three years my laptop is starting to feel severely underpowered, so I'm planning to do my first proper tower build later in the year. I'm saving at a decent click and should be able to throw about $2,000 at a new comp by August-September, so I'd like to ask the more tech-savvy among you (me no good at build part thingies) what kind of new, fancy, upcoming doodads I might want to look at that'll be releasing soon? Or maybe just a build in that price range made of up stuff I could start picking up now?

I have gone around looking at some build guides, but quite frankly I'm awful at figuring out which ones are good and which suck lemons.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

ezgif_com_b873041021.gif

#33 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:08 PM

I'd suggest you hold off for a little bit, the new Nvidia cards are both more potent and more reasonably priced than the currently available cards, and I have no doubt that AMD's cards will be the same. That being said, they will all be launching this summer so there's no harm in starting with the other stuff. Make sure you get a tower big enough to store a gaming GPU, the tiny ones are no good. I know it's tempting but don't skimp on the motherboard, it doesn't really help with graphics or anything but if you buy a cheap one and it goes then it can take something more expensive with it, same with the power supply.

pcpartpicker.com is a great help as well, it can even tell if you if there's an incompatibility between parts.

#34 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:52 PM

Generally speaking it's a better idea to wait until Fall/Winter to build a tower, and not just for Black Friday it's pretty much a case of waiting for all the Spring/Summer releases to get settled in. 

What I did was literally put into google "Best PC build for $XXX 2016" and just went from there and started doing my homework on the parts. I know it seems like a silly way of going about it but there's a ton of really helpful results, particularly videos that give you a low-down on the parts as well. Regardless it's good to do your homework on the parts but it's a good way to start. 

nY1rpGl.gif

#35 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,709 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

At the moment it seems very much like those new Nvidia cards are pretty much going to be completely sold out for several months, which means artificially inflated prices, scalpers, F5ing Newegg.com for hours, etc. Nvidia's doing a weird thing where they've split the cards into 'Founder's Edition's and regular cards, the difference being that only Founder's Editions will be available at launch, and they carry a $100 price premium. As far as I can tell, that's literally it.

Basically, 1080GTXes are technically launching on May 27th, but you aren't going to be getting one for $599 until at least a few months afterwards. I suppose Nvidia knows they're basically uncontested in the market, so they can price the cards however they please (I suppose they might also just not be able to manufacture enough at the moment, too). 

So, yeah, best to wait a while on the GPU front, at least. The rest of the computer doesn't matter too much; you can buy a motherboard, RAM, storage and a case any old time, and it's not going to matter too much if you don't get the latest CPU (at least not for gaming). I built my computer over four years ago now, and I'm not going to bother upgrading anything but the GPU for a few years yet. I'll overclock the ol' 3570k to 4GHz or some such and it'll go like a champ.

#36 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,709 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:45 AM

Seems about time for an update on this whole crazy PC gaming thing.

As of today, you still can't buy a GTX 1080 or a GTX 1070 for the actual MSRP. The 1080's been out for six weeks and the 1070 about a month, and the scalping shows no sign of slowing down. Pretty much all cards are selling at the Founder's Edition prices, or occasionally slightly lower, but nowhere near the MSRP. I actually managed to get an order in for a 1070, but only because I was lucky enough to be on Amazon at the right time (the stock sold out like ten minutes later), and even then it's only going to be in stock later this month. So if you happen to be looking for one of the high-end cards... I don't know, good hunting, I suppose.

However, AMD's new RX480 seems to be fairly easy to find, so if you're looking for something in the $200-$250 range that's suited for 1080p 60FPS gaming it's there waiting for you. Benchmarks and reviews put the RX480 roughly on par with an Nvidia 970, so it's pretty great value. And today Nvidia officially revealed the GTX 1060, which seems like it'll be a bit better than the AMD card, but $50ish more expensive. They're doing the Founder's Edition rubbish again, though, so even though the official release date is July 19th, I wouldn't hold my breath on getting one any time soon.

#37 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:44 PM

Nvidia just announced a new $1200 TITAN X in case you want your E-peen to throb and pulsate with every keystroke.

Now I'm sure they've got a fancy features list but I'm gonna make my own up because reading stuff is for chumps

TITAN X OFFICIAL DATA SHEET :

Cures impotence

Comes with a free copy of Half-Life 3 and a briefcase full of cocaine

Revives dead pets and loved ones, zombification free

second highest quality pixels on the market (outmatched only by the Xbox Scorpio)

#38 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,709 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:02 PM

Original Titan: TITAN

Improved Titan: TITAN X

Third Titan: ...TITAN X, I guess

Nvidia, come on, bruh. You're asking $1200 for this thing and you can't even come up with a new name?

Spoiler

#39 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:13 AM

Alright, I think it's finally time for me to retire my piece-of-craptop and get me a big boy computer. What kind of budget should I be looking at if I'm looking to play FO4 and MGSV?

#40 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

Alright, I think it's finally time for me to retire my piece-of-craptop and get me a big boy computer. What kind of budget should I be looking at if I'm looking to play FO4 and MGSV?

I've got a decent build going right now thats costing me around $1000 USD, but some of the parts I bought have dropped a little in price since then so it could be closer to 8-900USD

mudkip.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users