NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Castle Greywatch (A Dying Breed - START)

80 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

Brennus frowned as a handful of Venatori stepped forward, some reluctant, others stepping up a bit faster - almost instantly.

A middle-aged Imperial with a short, brown beard stomped up to the fore, throwing back his hood.  “The order is burning, Brennus, and I don’t have the life left in me to stay and watch it.”  Before anyone could react, the Venator removed off his silver brooch, his cloak sliding to the floor like a wounded animal.  “I’m done fighting beastmen for table scraps and risking my neck for people who think we’re useless. This order was once great, but I have a life to think about. Gods be with you.” He glanced around the room. “All of you.”

With that, he left. The other Venatori who had stepped forward followed suit, removing their brooches and setting them on Brennus’s stage. A handful of them respectfully folded their cloaks and placed their brooches or belt buckles on top, rather than just letting them fall. Most of them left silently, or with a few words of parting. Some looked nervous, others looked determined, and the ones that were left simply looked frustrated.

A few loyal Venatori pleaded with them to stay or simply whispered amongst themselves while glancing sideways at the volunteers, especially Brennus himself… and Caiden. But there would be no dissuading those who intended to leave.

One former Venator even turned as he left. “The Venatori are finished,” he said. Many of the other Venatori in the room recognized him as a former criminal who had been forced into the order as part of his sentence. “And,” he added, “I’ll have fun hearin’ about all of you faffing about until the Empire disbands this useless bunch. But I ain’t gettin’ killed for it.”

All in all, more than a dozen Venatori had removed their cloaks and brooches on the spot.

For what felt like a long while, silence fell over the great hall. Brennus stood on the stage, a frown creasing his features. But, after another moment, he began to pace.

“Very well,” he said, calm and controlled. “Then each one of you are the ones who’ll get to the bottom of this. Here’s what we know…

“The Venatori now unaccounted for are Pellio of Krisa, Allan of Whitehorn, Loke of Pluton, Silvius of Appledale, Indigo of Deltalund, and Darin of Caltha. Six total. All partners, all went missing together in different regions. The following were their contracts and last known locations:

“Pellio of Krisa and Allan of Whitehorn were last seen around the Southwestern Wilds, north of Fort Slaughter. Their contract was to make contact with a camp of seemingly peaceful beastfolk who were being blamed by villagers for some killings in the area. They were going to make contact with a centurion at Fort Slaughter again when their work was done, and he was the one who let us know they have never returned. He was, most likely, the last one to see them alive.

“Loke of Pluton and Silvius of Appledale were last seen south of Kyjovia, in a small town at the foothills of the Jagged Edge. They were on a contract to hunt an unknown monster or group of monsters stealing livestock. Their last contact was a local in that farming town south of Kyjovia, a respected local elder.

“Indigo of Deltalund and Darin of Caltha were last seen around the wetlands south of Dragon’s Lair. They were on a contract to investigate sounds and sightings in the area… Some locals blamed vampires, others undead, and still others werewolves, making this potentially a very dangerous contract. They last made contact with Cristina Drake in Dragon’s Lair, but the contract itself was sent to us by locals, not by her.

“I’ve also made all the wings of this castle open, or at least the ones we still know how to open. There are some rooms in this castle even the Venatori haven’t ventured in for quite some time, and for all we know, something about what’s happening could be related to those long-locked rooms.

“Lastly… I have made personal chambers of every Venator open and available for investigation as well. No one will hide any secrets.”

From his place in the audience - standing, not sitting, muscular arms folded over his chest - Caiden narrowed his one eye. “You don’t have that authority,” he said, speaking for the first time since this meeting started. His tone edged on an aggressive growl, more than enough to give even Brennus pause.

“I do now,” Brennus said flatly. “Unless you would like to oppose it, Redfield?”

Caiden bristled worse.

“That seems suspicious,” Brennus added pointedly.

“You’re not our leader, Ravenstone,” Caiden answered. “No one is.”

“You, the one without a partner for months, is telling me this? The one who just showed up again after being gone, alone, for so long, breaking our codes? For all we know, you’ve broken multiple parts of the code. We may all have equal authority in theory, Redfield, but if we don’t… then you surely now have the least.”

Caiden set his jaw but didn’t say a word.

“If that’s all, then,” said Brennus, “you should, each of you, begin your investigation. The sooner we find whoever, or whatever, is behind this… the better.”

((Please let me know in the OOC discussion thread if you have any questions, concerns, or confusions (this includes any potential confusion on where to begin with your investigation).

Quick guide:

• Pellio of Krisa & Allan of Whitehorn - Last seen around the Southwestern Wilds, north of Fort Slaughter. They were on a contract to make contact with a camp of seemingly peaceful beastfolk who were being blamed by villagers for some killings in the area. They were going to make contact with a centurion at Fort Slaughter again when their work was done; he was the last one to make contact with them.
  • Loke of Pluton & Silvius of Appledale - Last seen south of Kyjovia, in a small town at the foothills of the Jagged Edge. They were on a contract to hunt an unknown monster or group of monsters stealing livestock. They were going to make contact with a local in the small town south of Kyjovia; she was the last one to make contact with them.
  • Indigo of Deltalund & Darin of Caltha - Last seen around the wetlands south of Dragon’s Lair. They were on a contract to investigate sounds and sightings in the area. Some blamed vampires, others undead, and still others werewolves. They were to make contact with Cristina Drake in Dragon’s Lair; she was the last one to make contact with them.

Each of these Venatori have their own chambers in Castle Greywatch, but all once private Venatori chambers are now open due to the investigation.

Every wing of the castle is now also open. Some may not be as easy to get into as others.

The following is a list of areas within the castle:

Spoiler

Fun fact about the Venatori: they often refer to each other by their birth cities, especially as many of them do not have last names. More on this later.

And remember, never miss an opportunity to interact with your fellow players and with important NPCs. Most of all, though, have fun!))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

After such a long time on the road, with all that he had gone through while on the quest to return Dainslief to its rightful owner, Agethar had hoped that he would be able to relax a little once he returned to Castle Greywatch. Apparently, the gods had other plans.

Or monsters, as the case may be.

Agethar had seen Venators come and go in his years of service. Ferris Ravenborn, Krilda Felskith, and many others had either died on hunts or had abandoned the order all together, but this was different. Six venators had vanished under mysterious circumstances, and now another twelve had simply up and left. Agethar had recognized a few among them: the bearded man who had been one of the first to leave had been one of his mentors when he had first joined the Venatory, and it had shaken him to see someone who he had respected so much leave the order at the first sign of trouble.

But that did not bother him as much as Brennus' statement about their privacy being revoked, as well as the Venator's leader's treatment of his one-eyed comrade. At one time, Agethar would have bristled and most likely yelled several choice words and obsenitties at Brennus for daring to question the honor of the legendary Venator Caiden Voros. But now after adventuring with Caiden and seeing, really seeing, what the Venator was, he wasn't sure who was in the right.

And, as in many situations like this, the only solution was for him to find something to eat and drink in order to settle his nerves.

---

Cyrus stood silently, surveying the room as their leader's speech dwindled down until it finally ended. 

At one time in his life, the Venator would have been worried about this, and would have bombarded everyone with questions about it. But now, he took it with stoic ease.

He was glad that some familiar faces had chosen to stay with them, though many had abandoned the order outright before his very eyes. Cyrus hadn't been close friends with any of the missing Venators, so he had no reason to leave because of their apparent deaths, but he could understand why others would. Though, he was glad that Agethar, his old hunting partner, had chosen to stay with the order.

Cyrus was worried, however, about Brennus' revoking their privacy. He, like many others, had secrets that he would rather not see the light of day. He was concerned about the forbidden wing in the second floor.Maybe in his apparent zeal to protect them, their 'leader' was trying to unleash gods knew what upon the order. He then moved through the crowd, trying to find a certain venator.

Hopefully, Crestwell would have some information on the forbidden wing.

#3 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

An uncharacteristic frown creased Hollí's features, the fiery-haired elf in a correspondingly somber mood. For over half her life---thirty-eight years, a span greater than the ages of some present---she had dedicated herself to the Venatori. And not once in all those years had she regretted her decision. But some, it seemed, felt rather differently about the order.

"Faithless cravens" she spat under her breath as the last of the men who had turned in their cloaks left. Over a dozen gone---one of them her partner of the last five years, a man she thought she had known... but evidently had not. Six missing---likely dead---and over a dozen more fled. She felt the loss of the former far more keenly than the latter, but all losses mattered in an order as small as the Venatori.

At least there were still some who retained their honor. Hollí had been around a long time, and prided herself on knowing every member of the order by name and reputation, if nothing else. And so, as she looked around the room she easily identified all those present. Every one of whom, even the half-dwarf, was substantially taller than her---something that had no bearing on the current situation, but was merely a long-standing annoyance which she had long ago become accustomed to. It was a decent assemblage, with many experienced and capable hunters, though rather smaller than she would have preferred. Although a couple, like old Crestwell and the young pup Krystia, would likely need some extra care if---or rather, when---they got into danger.

But the reduction of their numbers was not the only dire change of late. Now one sought to elevate himself above the rest. There was something about this Brennus which rubbed Hollí the wrong way---something about how confidently and seemingly casually he had assumed for himself the role of de-facto leader of them all, when there had never before been such a position nor a need for one. And then there was his unilateral decision to abrogate the privacy of every members' personal rooms... as well as the way he immediately turned to accusing their own when one voiced opposition to his actions.

Hollí knew every member of the order by reputation, and the one-eyed venator had more of one than most. While his actions of late had indeed been decidedly unusual, if there was a Venator less likely to betray the order than Caiden Voros (or herself) she had a hard time thinking of them. She could not remain silent.

“You, the one without a partner for months, is telling me this? The one who just showed up again after being gone, alone, for so long, breaking our codes? For all we know, you’ve broken multiple parts of the code. We may all have equal authority in theory, Redfield, but if we don’t… then you surely now have the least.”

"And a killer like you has the most?" Hollí retorted sharply. "Perhaps you of all people shouldn't cast aspersions" she said pointedly.

"We are all Venatori, here. And there would be no faster way to ensure our order's end than to turn our suspicions on each other. Our focus should be on discovering what happened to our missing comrades" she continued, addressing those assembled. Catching Caiden's gaze for an instant, she gave him a brief, subtle nod of support. Given her own well-deserved reputation, this was a side of Hollí that few had ever seen. But needs must.

Then she turned back to face Brennus once more, though her next words were for everyone. "However, if any of you feel it necessary for trust, I invite any or all of you to search my room. Mayhaps you'll enjoy my collection of woodcarvings" she finished brightly, with a slight grin, hoping to dispel a bit of the tension. In truth, unlike---she hoped---most or all of those assembled, Hollí did have a secret. But it was not the sort of secret that could ever be revealed by a look through her paltry, innocent belongings.

She paused for a moment, before speaking again. "For my part, I intend to follow the trail of Indigo and Darin to Dragon's Lair. Who will come with me?"

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#4 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Leader of the Black Lance Guild

• Nova Patron
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

"I'll assist you in your search for Indigo and Darin." Said Auric. "Although I can't say I'm familiar with either of them."

He glanced at Holli and returned a nod. "My utmost concern is ensuring our fellow Venators are brought home safely."
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:22 PM

Lyneth Brys sat in very uncomfortable silence as she listened to Brennus’s series of executive decisions.

She was made even more uncomfortable when only a couple other Venatori stood up to that sudden power grab, as well. Everyone else was running, or… just going along with it in silence. While Lyneth liked domination as much as the next girl, that had its place in the bedroom, not in Castle Greywatch. She’d had far, far too many problems stem from someone taking control over her life like this. It didn't help it'd always been men, too. Gods, that's a hell of a pattern.

So when Holli spoke out openly against Brennus, Lyneth found herself rising from her seat; resting her hands against the table as she leaned forward to show her attentiveness and nod in agreement. It definitely had nothing to do with the modest lack of buttoning at the top of her shirt. On that note, the irony of herself and Holli being the ones to take such a serious stand, made her lip twitch with amusement. However, she swallowed her own humor and forced a serious face when the elf spoke her piece.

“I’m with Holli on this one, Brennus; I won’t lock my quarters, but that’s my decision, not yours.” Her lip twitched again, and finally she couldn’t help but smirk slightly as her gaze flitted between the pretty men and ladies in the room. “My room’s always open to visitors, anyway.”

Lyneth straightened up, though, crossing her arms as she struggled to wipe the smirk off. “But seriously, maybe let’s keep our investigation for those willing to open their rooms, yeah? We can always just assume the absolute worse about anyone that keeps their doors locked.” She shot a wink at Caiden Voros, half-supporting his resistance. She doubted a man of his repute (or abs, for that matter) would be the one trying to make Venatori vanish.

She shrugged at the party assembling to check on the Dragon’s Lair. “I think I’ll check Fort Slaughter, myself, if we’re all running as fast as our legs can take us. Sounds like a lovely place. Don’t think I’ve ever had the pleasure to visit… anyone wanna come with?” Lyneth asked with a flutter of thick lashes.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#6 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

Crestwell watched and listened, his face impassive as he took in the debate.

After a while he shifted, pushing against his crutch to stand slightly taller.

"Now is not the time for division. We've lost enough as it is. We are Venatori, not a bunch of common mercenaries."

He cast a steely eye on Caiden.

"I'm no keener than you to open up my chambers, but there is far more at stake here than modesty, boy. Besides, I'm sure Brennus will be the first to welcome us into his." The last statement was pointed.

He turned his icy gaze to the other man. "Isn't that right?"

Addressing the others, he continued.

"In my opinion it's best to start right here. Spend a day or two in their quarters and see if we can learn anything before we run off half-cocked and lose more people."
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#7 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

The faithless Venators who filed out of the room did little to harm Asti's mindset, nor did the conversation that followed. Curled against a pillar at the back end of the hall, the small Deshreti women felt she had less stake in the situation than the others. Faces were familiar, both amongst those who left and those who remained, but they were hardly Asti's people. Thoth, Sivan, Tumeric and Saffron formed a team of the only real partners she had ever felt dependent upon, and the other Venators knew to count Asti as a silent vote in Sivan's favour. She had seen more than enough of the half-dwarf's negotiation skills to trust his judgement on hunters just as she trusted his judgement on beasts.

Speaking of Sivan, the older Venator was not nearly as indifferent as Asti, though he was hardly surprised. Most of the faces which had just disappeared belonged to old friends or comrades of Sivan's, and their inevitable loss of faith had been detectable for years. Still, it hurt Sivan as he silently acknowledged the room before him was much more in the hands of strangers than it had once been - the remaining hunters were mostly known little to Sivan, and he had little interest in meddling with the business of a probably-traitor like Caiden. 

Thus, when debates over leadership, privacy and senority overtook the hall, Sivan made his decisions quickly. He had nothing to hide from the order, and if Asti held any secrets from him that would incriminate her, he had long since placed his faith in her ability to take care of herself. Thus, the exploration of every private quarters struck his ears as little more than gossip-mongering. Venators may still be alive in the wild, and Sivan had little interest in risking letting them die for a few days of bed-flipping.

"For my part, I intend to follow the trail of Indigo and Darin to Dragon's Lair. Who will come with me?"

“I think I’ll check Fort Slaughter, myself, if we’re all running as fast as our legs can take us. Sounds like a lovely place. Don’t think I’ve ever had the pleasure to visit… anyone wanna come with?”

"In my opinion it's best to start right here. Spend a day or two in their quarters and see if we can learn anything before we run off half-cocked and lose more people." 

Sivan saw his chance. Stepping forward into the outspoken, he skipped past the company's drama and cut directly to the point.

"It seems a representative has stepped forth for each task at hand, barring the business in Kyjovia. You all know I hail from the Blackrock, and so it seems only natural that our wagon..." he said gesturing towards Asti, "...head due east immediately. Certainly there are better-suited room-snoopers than I, and I'd rather find our missing comrades sooner rather than later if there is still a chance of saving them." He would not wait idle at Greywatch to see his name cleared and the traitors sought out...and he would take his own risks with whoever chose to come with him and Asti. His innocence would be proven if it wasn't already suspected by the party at large, and he knew the days where his departure would be prevented for security had long since passed.

Truthfully he was thankful at how volunteering had played out. Sivan felt him and Asti had already put in more than enough time at Fort Slaughter, and the names Indigo and Darin were close enough to Sivan's heart that he'd just as soon not find their bodies. Loke and Silvius had hardly crossed paths with Sivan before, and though any Venator's death weighed heavy on Sivan, he would sleep better having chosen their bodies to retrieve.

Of course, Asti only nodded silently in confirmation when glances shifted from Sivan to her. She had little to offer these people. "If you see fit to join us...", Sivan finished, headed to prepare his weapons and wagon, "...we ride out in an hour."

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#8 Poetic

Poetic

Pure Cinnamon Roll

• Nova Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

To be frank, Athens often found discussion and politics within the Venatori to be quite boring. He would have much rather been teaching the fresh blood to swing swords, or tracking a beast if he was lucky. Hunters went missing often, occasionally a Venator would spend a week or so celebrating a successful hunt with drink and women, or maybe journey to their birthplace to reconnect with the family. Athens understood this, Castle Greywatch was often lonely and isolated, a man could quickly contract 'castle fever' after being stuck within the castle walls for too long. 

​When the other reasonable hunters began to speak up over the search of their quarters, Athens stood with the elf. "I agree with her, getting out and searching will more likely yield the answers you'll want... search my room if you'd like." His lips held a confident smirk. "I have nothing to hide."

It wasn't long before some of the more heroic hunters began asking for traveling companions. The hard-nosed, stone-faced Venators who were allergic to smiling unless they had blood on their boots. For every promising partner, came with it's own faults. The cute elf wanted to go to ​Dragon's Lair​, possibly the last place he wanted to go dressed in Venatori blue was the home of his rivals. The two, Sven and Ashi? ​They seemed to have already covered each other's backs. 

​"I think I'll check Fort Slaughter myself, if we're all running as fast as our legs can take us. Sounds like a lovely place. Don't think I've ever had the pleasure to visit... anyone wanna come with?"

"I'd love to, if you'll take me." Athens replied, speaking over anyone who might take his place. The young nobleman walked briskly over to Lyneth and spoke. "Do you mind taking me along? I'm dying to leave."

Athens gave her a noble, yet charming smile and extended a hand. "Apologizes... I am Athens, of Astoria. What might your name be?"

64a00586gw1emine46g7pg209q05gu0z.gif

​"Keep running."

#9 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

Agethar returned from the kitchen, munching on a drumstick, and carrying a plate of assorted food he had gathered to eat. The Venator seemed oblivious to the fact that they were in the middle of figuring out what which Venators they would be investigating the disappearance of, as well as the fact that Maugrimm had entered the great hall unannounced until his hound rubbed up against his leg. After this, he handed him the rest of his drumstick.

"For my part, I intend to follow the trail of Indigo and Darin to Dragon's Lair. Who will come with me?"

"I'll assist you in your search for Indigo and Darin. Although I can't say I'm familiar with either of them."

"Sounds fun, count me in!" Agethar said as he approached the pair "Agethar o' Bjornburg at yer service, and ye two are?"

---

​"I think I'll check Fort Slaughter myself, if we're all running as fast as our legs can take us. Sounds like a lovely place. Don't think I've ever had the pleasure to visit... anyone wanna come with?"

"I'd love to, if you'll take me. Do you mind taking along? I'm dying to leave."

"I'll join you two in a second," Cyrus called back to the flirting pair as he walked over to Crestwell.

"Hello, old friend," he said as he nodded at the old Venator "I need use of your knowledge. If possible, I would appreciate it if you could tell me anything you know about the three different locations, as well as the forbidden wing on the second floor."

#10 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:00 PM

Well, call me a gold digger ‘cause I just struck the motherlode.

"I'd love to, if you'll take me." Athens called to Lyneth in response to her call for an ally. The young nobleman walked briskly over as he continued. "Do you mind taking me along? I'm dying to leave."

Brys almost had to bite her tongue to keep it from running across her lips. Gods damn this guy sure had a lot going for him. Her mind raced to recall information about him; her frequent hunts and travels left her coming up with little more than a blank. He sure had the general air of being new, but besides that...

Athens gave her a noble, yet charming smile and extended a hand. "Apologies... I am Athens, of Astoria. What might your name be?"

Lyneth flashed him a smile with her own pearly whites, taking his hand in a fairly dainty shake. She didn’t exactly have much strength to show for all her time with the Venatori. “Oh, just call me Lyneth.” She half-curtsied, recalling some manners she picked up from watching folks back in Kyjovia. “I’m afraid I don’t have much in the way of a title, myself. That shouldn’t be a problem, though, shall it?” Her smile widened a tad as she moved just a little closer…

"I'll join you two in a second." An all-too-familiar voice called out from across the room. Brys’s smile faltered for a moment as her gaze shifted to the phrase’s source, and she let out a small sigh when she recognized the armor-clad figure.

“I guess hunting in pairs isn’t in style, anymore.” Lyneth pouted, keeping her voice low enough so that mostly just Athens and anyone else very close by could hear. Considering how many people were speaking, that wasn’t particularly difficult. “Well, I guess you get a fun buddy and… him, for this trip.” She sighed, exaggerating her exasperation just slightly. “Gods, one accident happens and fun guys like him just... poof! turn into grumpy old men who wear armor and groan all the time.”

Lyneth found herself idly curling a lock of raven hair around one of her fingers; it was something of a passive tick of hers. “Hmph, well, we have a little time to ourselves while he’s busy. How ‘bout we grab something from the kitchen and make a plan over lunch?”

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#11 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:42 AM

Krystia glanced around anxiously. She wasn't used to this kind of large scale meeting, and had hoped to just get through it and get back to practical things. Like hunting monsters. Or drinking.

Oh gods, everyone was teaming up, she was going to get left behind. She couldn't spot Araven anywhere, had he left her behind?

Right. Who did she want to go with? Something very much made her want to go with Lyneth, but she'd also wanted a chance to speak to Caiden.

"I'm available!" She said rather more loudly than intended. "To go on a hunt." She clarified weakly. She tried to catch Caiden's eye, but he was looking in the opposite direction. Wonderful.

--------

Crestwell smiled in his ruined way at the approaching figure.

*"I need use of your knowledge. If possible, I would appreciate it if you could tell me anything you know about the three different locations, as well as the forbidden wing on the second floor."**

"Cyrus, good to see you." He awkwardly offered his hand, careful not to upset his balance.

"I can certainly help you with the castle's wings. Well, except the forbidden wing. Even I'm not that old. Still, there may be a map or two in the library if you're willing to look with me."

#12 Poetic

Poetic

Pure Cinnamon Roll

• Nova Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:50 AM

“Oh, just call me Lyneth.” She half-curtsied, and Athens smiled wider. Stunning, playful, and well-mannered? If we weren't under the blue cloak, I'd take her back to Gryphon's Roost.

“I’m afraid I don’t have much in the way of a title, myself. That shouldn’t be a problem, though, shall it?” Her smile widened a tad as she moved just a little closer.

"No, not at all.." Athens took a step closer and looked down at the shorter woman with an amused look about his face. "So, Lyneth... may-" he began, before the voice of Cyrus came from behind him.

"I'll join you two in a second," said the Tin Man, before leaving to consult Crestwell. 'Old Rickety' he would hear the younger hunters call him when he was out of earshot, which was surprisingly far for a man of his age and bone-density. He was most likely the oldest coot in the castle, if you could still call the pile of blocks a fortress.

“...Gods, one accident happens and fun guys like him just... poof! turn into grumpy old men who wear armor and groan all the time.”

"Seems an all too common occurrence around here..." Athens commented, glancing over at Cyrus, and some of the other tragedy-stricken hunters that made up the homeguard of the Venatori. Astoria wouldn't lie, the state of affairs around Castle Greywatch was quite sad. Sure, they had enough bodies, but the politics inside and out of the castle were pushing the Order to the edge. If Athens had the status that Caiden or Brennus did, he'd... well he wasn't sure exactly what he would do, but he thought he would be a better 'leader' than Brennus.

“Hmph, well, we have a little time to ourselves while he’s busy. How ‘bout we grab something from the kitchen and make a plan over lunch?”

Athens' expression shifted back and he nodded politely to Lyneth. "That sounds like you have a plan, partner." Athens shot a playful wink at the girl and turned to walk towards the doors. "Would you mind leading the way, Miss Lyneth?"

64a00586gw1emine46g7pg209q05gu0z.gif

​"Keep running."

#13 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:26 AM

"I'll assist you in your search for Indigo and Darin. Although I can't say I'm familiar with either of them. My utmost concern is ensuring our fellow Venators are brought home safely."

Hollí returned the man's nod. "Glad to have you."

"Sounds fun, count me in! Agethar o' Bjornburg at yer service, and ye two are?"

"Hollí Emberleaf" she answered, turning to face Agethar. 'Fun' isn't how I would describe it, but sure, enjoy that optimism while you can, she thought to herself snarkily. "And you are... Auric Khasmin, right?" she continued aloud, turning back to the far-southerner.

She nodded thoughtfully to herself. Three was a decent number, however... After a moment, she turned to where Caiden stood a short distance away. "Since Indigo and Darin's assignment was somewhat more dangerous than the others, we could probably use your experience and skill---if you're willing to come along?" she asked the one-eyed Venator.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#14 Lord_Klaus

Lord_Klaus

Thou art on yon naughty list, I hast checked twice.

• 1,455 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

As the meeting drew to a close, a figure armored in shadow approached Castle Greywatch. Her right hand gripped the sling of the crossbow over her shoulder, while her left was fidgeting idly with the pommel of the void iron shortsword dangling from her hip. Each step she took was nearly silent, yet she moved with rapid purpose and a stern, almost murderous focus in her eyes.

She drew to a stop within bowshot of the drawbridge, looking around her feet for something she had lost. When whatever she sought did not present itself, her frown eroded into a scowl. A sharp whistle left her lips, followed by a harshly lilting voice like a gorgeous harp being used to bash someone's head in.

Bullseye, where’ve ya run off to? Get your arse over here!”

The patter of four small paws drew steadily closer, until a happy little Pointer came into view, tongue and ears flapping as he went. He was clearly overjoyed to have been summoned by his mistress, an emotion the Inquisitor clearly did not share.

What, were you chasing squirrels again?  Keep up, or I’ll tie your chubby neck to my wrist.”  Bullseye gave no indication that he understood this threat, and simply wagged his tail as he looked up endearingly at the irate woman. She grumbled under her breath, and continued on her way, with Bullseye falling into formation by her heel.

Before the Inquisitor could even be challenged by the guard in the gatehouse, the portcullis opened and disgorged a disgruntled platoon of some kind.  They wore no blue cloaks or silver arrowheads, and many of them seemed to be in a hurry to leave. Frustration, fear, but also some tinges of regret seemed to ooze off of them, even the creepy, sneering one who addressed her as he passed.  “Looking to join up, Inquisitor? There’s plenty of openings for you now, but you’re probably better off sticking with your current career.” He received no words in response, but did see a very, VERY rude gesture before she stormed past, out of his field of vision. The Venator guarding the gate peered down at this exchange, then wisely decided not to challenge this mystery woman who seemed intent on...whatever she was seeking.

As the black leather and void iron-clad mass of anger entered the castle, her dog rushed slightly forward, sniffing the air.  Mistress seemed unsure, even anxious, so he would help her find her way, like a good boy should. Lights and voices up ahead, that meant other people!  Mistress liked meeting new people, right? He immediately halted, crouched with a front leg coiled, and pointed his snout with all his might in the direction of the main hall...where they were already going.

This drew an exasperated sigh from his mistress.  “Yes, thank you, Bullseye.  I was already headed that way, you stupid git.”  She passed him up, snapped her fingers, and the dog came to heel again, panting and wagging his tail in glee at how helpful he was being.  The voices in the great hall grew clearer and more worried, and the Inquisitor could now see some kind of stage that had been erected. What the hells is that for?, she pondered silently.  Are these buggers branching out into acting now?  Silvius should’ve mentioned that, I’d have come a lot sooner to watch them practice.

A wolfish grin snuck onto her face at the absurdity of the thought.  She paused in the doorway, surveying the remaining Venatori conversing amongst themselves or gathering into cliques.  Alright Kate, first impressions time.  These aren’t the quitters you saw outside, so look friendly and professional, just like Marcus taught you.  She straightened her back and shoulders, tried to cock a friendly half-smile, and removed her sallet, letting her straight, crimson locks fall, framing her flame-scarred face.  The door was already open, but she knocked on it anyway so they wouldn’t be too surprised at her presence.

They’re obviously having a hard time, so don’t insult ‘em.  Say something funny and endearing. Top o’ the morning to ya, sadsacks!”  Nailed it.  Inquisitor Kate Meliora, at your service.  Hope I’m not interruptin’ whatever you’re rehearsing, but I think I just walked past your stagehands.  If you need help rounding ‘em back up, I charge very reasonable bounties.”  Still grinning impishly, Kate continued to lilt, “Any of you lot know where I can find Silvius of Appledale?  He asked me to meet him here, all mysterious-like.” She punctuated this remark by flippantly waggling her gloved fingers before her, her helm tucked under one arm.

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#15 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

Caiden certainly saw the subtle nod he received from Holli... and the wink from Lyneth. Saw, and didn't visibly react. Not that he was ever one for much reacting.

Crestwell then threw in, "I'm no keener than you to open up my chambers, but there is far more at stake here than modesty, boy. Besides, I'm sure Brennus will be the first to welcome us into his. Isn't that right?"

"Obviously," Brennus replied very flatly.

Caiden, on the other hand, grunted. And that was all.

Boy. Him. 'Boy.' A boy, concerned with 'modesty.' Right.

Then everyone started chattering - I'll go here, and I'll go there. Some enthusiastic, others not so much. The latter didn't include that one hunter, Krystia, who seemed to have some trouble controlling her voice for a second or two.

And Caiden stood in the middle of it all, briefly locking gazes with Brennus, who seemed intent to pay attention to where everyone would be.

Holli addressed him then, pulling Caiden out of it. "Since Indigo and Darin's assignment was somewhat more dangerous than the others, we could probably use your experience and skill---if you're willing to come along?"

He turned to regard her and gave a simple nod. "I'll come," he replied. "Though I'm not sure Cristina'll appreciate my being there."

---

Brennus, meanwhile, finally descended from his stage. He approached Crestwell first, forcing an unfelt smile and bowing his head slightly in a respectful nod.

"I'll endeavor to aid you in your investigations around the castle," he said...

And then an Inquisitor waltzed into the room. She began to address them all quite brashly, and in a way that made Brennus fold his arms in outright annoyance.

“Any of you lot know where I can find Silvius of Appledale?  He asked me to meet him here, all mysterious-like.”

"I must apologize, Inquisitor Meliora, but Silvius of Appledale is missing," Brennus replied promptly. "We were just organizing search parties to find him and a number of other unaccounted-for Venatori. If the Inquisition is actually interested in helping us with such a matter, we would not refuse the assistance." He quirked a brow. "Silvius was last seen in a town south of Kyjovia... Sivan and Asti," he nodded to the pair, "were planning to go there and find out what happened."

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#16 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:11 PM

Crestwell sensed movement nearby and turned from Cyrus as Brennus approached.

**"I'll endeavor to aid you in your investigations around the castle."**

Crestwell returned the other man's smile with the same degree of sincerity.

"I'm glad we're in agreement. It's a shame so few here can read, or the work could be a lot quicker. Still.."

At that moment the inquisitor burst in. Nobody expected that. Crestwell exhaled irritably and stood back as Brennus spoke to the newcomer. When the conversation reached a brief pause, he took his opportunity.

Time for his friendly old man face.

"If you'll excuse my questions, Inquisitor." He smiled again, this time slightly more warmly. "Did you get this invitation from Silvius himself? Or through a messenger? It would help to know when you last had contact"

______

Krystia wandered through the crowd in a way that she hoped looked entirely natural and not obsessive.

By complete coincidence she ended up right next to Caiden Voros.

"What's the plan?" she asked abruptly, trying and failing to sound at ease and professional. "You're really great. Great at Venator things I mean. Really impressive and -. Ahem. I was just wondering what you thought was the best course of action."

She hovered nervously next to his enormous arm and hoped she'd sounded like a normal person.

#17 DragonJedi

DragonJedi

"Dead-Eye Jargon"

• Nova Member
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:42 PM

“If that’s all, then,” said Brennus, “you should, each of you, begin your investigation. The sooner we find whoever, or whatever, is behind this… the better.”

Araven Karial adjusted his blue cloak around his shoulders. He wasn’t too keen on the formal gatherings that happened every so often within the keep. The Venatori had been a great order once. It was a stab in the gut to see its numbers so withered, with men deserting them right in front of their comrades.

In regards to which missing Venator he should search for, Araven hadn’t the foggiest as to who any of them were, nor did he particularly care about the specifics. What really mattered was making sure that they returned.

"I'm available!" A loud, female voice called out from the opposite side of the room, behind several other people.  "To go on a hunt."

Araven smiled to himself. Krystia Ravenswift was his hunting partner and good friend, but he hadn’t actually seen much of her since the two had arrived. Wherever they would go to search, they would go together. By the time he tracked her down, she had made her way to another Venator. His eyes rolled, a little bit unconsciously at this point. Naturally, she had made her way to Voros.

“Ahem. I was just wondering what you thought was the best course of action."

Walking over to the two of them, Araven extended his hand to Caiden. “I don’t believe I’ve officially had the pleasure. Araven of Pikeston. I see you’ve already met my hunting partner, Krystia Ravenswift.”

#18 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

Caiden quirked a brow when Krystia suddenly appeared beside him, and he threw a brief glance down at her, standing there looking... nervous. Looking - all kinds of things.

"What's the plan?" she asked abruptly, trying and failing to sound at ease and professional.

Before he could answer, she added, "You're really great. Great at Venator things I mean. Really impressive and -. Ahem. I was just wondering what you thought was the best course of action."

And she kept hovering there by his arm.

"Thanks," he said, with only a very subtle touch of awkwardness that no one visibly present picked up on. Then he added, "Exactly what we're doing right now. Split up into teams, cover more ground... If you're talking about coming with us to Dragon's Lair, I assume we'll talk to Cristina first. But it's not exclusively my decision."

Another Venator joined them then, another one Caiden wasn't sure he recognized. But he offered a hand to shake and said, “I don’t believe I’ve officially had the pleasure. Araven of Pikeston. I see you’ve already met my hunting partner, Krystia Ravenswift.”

Giving Araven's hand a firm shake, he replied, "Caiden Voros of Redfield." He gave Krystia a low nod, as well. "Pleasure to meet you both."

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#19 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

"Hollí Emberleaf"

"Pleased tae met ye," Agethar said as he shoveled more food into his mouth "me an' me dog Maugrimm both!"

"I'll come, though I'm not sure Cristina'll appreciate my being there."

"I'm available! To go on a hunt."

“I don’t believe I’ve officially had the pleasure. Araven of Pikeston. I see you’ve already met my hunting partner, Krystia Ravenswift.”

"Looks like we'll be be traveling wit' a pretty big group," the Northern Venator remarked to Caiden "It's like they be attracted to ye!"

Turning to the big Venator, Agethar asked "Ye seem familiar wit' Dragon's Lair. Would ye mind sharing what ye know about it wit' us, or is it more of a...er, private matter?"

---

"I can certainly help you with the castle's wings. Well, except the forbidden wing. Even I'm not that old. Still, there may be a map or two in the library if you're willing to look with me."

Thought Crestwell could not see his face, he could tell that Cyrus was smiling behind his helmet when he said "I know that: some of us still have respect for the older members of our Order."

"I also appreciate your help," he said as he looked around the room "I don't entirely trust this revocation of privacy: it could easily be used as a means to settle old scores..."

As if on cue, Brennus came over to talk with Crestwell.

"I'll endeavor to aid you in your investigations around the castle,"

Cyrus nodded, and was about to respond when an Inquisitor of all things waltzed into the room and began insulting everyone.

“Any of you lot know where I can find Silvius of Appledale?  He asked me to meet him here, all mysterious-like.”

"I must apologize, Inquisitor Meliora, but Silvius of Appledale is missing, we were just organizing search parties to find him and a number of other unaccounted-for Venatori. If the Inquisition is actually interested in helping us with such a matter, we would not refuse the assistance. Silvius was last seen in a town south of Kyjovia... Sivan and Asti, were planning to go there and find out what happened."

"If you'll excuse my questions, Inquisitor. Did you get this invitation from Silvius himself? Or through a messenger? It would help to know when you last had contact"

"And why exactly did Silvius invite you?" the Venator said, glancing at the Inquisitor "I agree with Brennus that we appreciate your assistance, but I for one would like to know why the Inquisition wants to stick its nose into Venator Business."

#20 Lord_Klaus

Lord_Klaus

Thou art on yon naughty list, I hast checked twice.

• 1,455 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

"I must apologize, Inquisitor Meliora, but Silvius of Appledale is missing," Brennus replied promptly. "We were just organizing search parties to find him and a number of other unaccounted-for Venatori. If the Inquisition is actually interested in helping us with such a matter, we would not refuse the assistance." He quirked a brow. "Silvius was last seen in a town south of Kyjovia... Sivan and Asti," he nodded to the pair, "were planning to go there and find out what happened."

Kate shrugged nonchalantly.  “I’m not here in an official capacity, I’ve just known Silvius since I was little.  I thought he was just being paranoid, but he even paid me to come help him…”

Then some kind of shambling undead staggered up to them.  Kate’s shortsword was halfway out of its scabbard when the thing smiled at her.  That was new.  Then, it started talking, which shamblers definitely didn’t do.

"If you'll excuse my questions, Inquisitor." He smiled again, this time slightly more warmly. "Did you get this invitation from Silvius himself? Or through a messenger? It would help to know when you last had contact"

The Inquisitor slowly stood down, though Bullseye was still on high alert, hackles up and growling at mistress’ target.  Sword was coming out, that meant biting time. Mistress loved biting time so much. He would bite all the nasty things for her, especially walking dead persons, no matter how bad they tasted.

Kate replaced her sidearm and commanded her dog to sit with a snap, then an outstretched index finger before answering, “By Zeus’ underpants, you’ve been through the wringer, haven’t you?  Sorry, thought you were a bloody shambler there. He just used a messenger.  Got the letter a couple weeks ago. Came with two whole Aurei, which told me he was serious, so I set out immediately.”

Greet him properly, dummy.  You said you’d play nice, even if Silvius may not have trusted everyone here.  Kate extended her hand in greeting, though with visible trepidation.  Her demeanor was less than genuinely friendly, like a shy child angrily being forced to spend time with distant relatives.  “And I’m Kate, again.  Who might you be, Mister?

It was then that another Venator, this one heavily armed and armored, butted in.

"And why exactly did Silvius invite you?" the Venator said, glancing at the Inquisitor "I agree with Brennus that we appreciate your assistance, but I for one would like to know why the Inquisition wants to stick its nose into Venator Business."

Kate sneered up at him.  “Because like I said, I’ve known Silvius since I was a kid, and he asked me to help him solve a problem that scared him.  So I’m not sticking my nose into anything as an Inquisitor, I just didn’t have anything else to wear, big boy.” Murder flashed in her eyes as a thought occurred.  “Though it seems he may not have trusted all of you, if he was desperate enough to pay outside help.  You got something to hide under that pretty helmet of yours?”

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users