• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Hey, fellas. So I've been trying to get more active in writing communities elsewhere on the webbernets at a best friend's behest, and she's been giving me writing prompts and stuff to help me get involved. You can find some of these on my tumblr, too.

Her favorite character is Kye, by a longshot, so many of my prompts will end up being about him. :lol: You are, of course, also free to throw your own prompts at me here in the thread. I've discovered that writing by prompt is immensely fun, and I want to try to do more of it for practice and warmups before I start a long writing session. So, please, give me some stuff.

Any updates I post here will be pretty random, and I might not write many very often. But here are a few of the ones I've written so far...

Prompt, "Description - Kye in formal clothing"

Kye rubbed the back of his neck, feeling stupid. He shifted his weight between his feet, watching the assorted nobles perform graceful, sweeping dances that made the womens’ great dresses flow everywhere. But it was hard to focus when he felt like he was going to suffocate.

So he went from rubbing his neck to tugging at the collar of his black doublet – which matched his black shirt, black breeches, and black gloves. Or, well, glove. He still wore his huge, spiked gauntlet on his left arm, nervously rubbing the long, metal claws together as he thought again of how Drake commented that it clashed with his gold buttons and accessories, including the weird chain necklace that Fintan had handed to him, seemingly as an afterthought. Confused, Kye had said he wasn’t clashing with anything at all. And then Drake had laughed, patted him on the back, and left to go flirt with some girl.

And then Magnhild had powdered his nose, and he’d come this close to sneezing all over her. Kye tried to remember if she had even powdered her own nose, and he suddenly realized she hadn’t.

Since then, everyone had left, and he eventually found his way to the great hall full of people dancing and drinking. Now, Kye stood there fidgeting in all his tight, form-fitting clothing – except for the silly breeches. They were tight at the top and the bottom and only reached just above his knees, and they puffed all out around his thighs. He had never worn such a ridiculous thing.

If he dropped his guard for even a second, he’d be all wings and tail and horns and then it would tear up his clothes and probably even do something bad to his hair – which was all pulled behind his neck in a very neat ponytail, for once, instead of some halfhearted attempt at that.

He tugged at his collar again as he glanced around, wondering vaguely if everyone was sweating as badly as he was. Some undeniably pretty girl in a frilly, pink dress was staring at him from the corner – staring so hard he almost thought his tail was sticking out from the bottom of his doublet and waving back and forth again, or else his horns were showing.

She giggled, bit her lip, and used a finger to beckon Kye in a suggestive manner that was largely lost on him, though it still prompted him to blush like an idiot – right before some huge, burly man in a vest came and swept her over to the dance floor. Kye rubbed his claws together again and swallowed. Well, he had probably just come really close to getting his face pounded in by that fine gentleman.

A parting in the sea of people showed him where the wine was, and Kye quietly meandered over to it, snatching up a fancy wine goblet in his right hand. The glove he wore was so silken that it made the silver cup slip right out of his hand, and he had to catch it in his claws. He sighed.

This was going to be a long night.

Prompt, "OC Intro - Kye Vakurseth"

The woods were thick, yet it wasn’t hard for Tom Drake to find the leathery, spearheaded demon tail hanging from the branches near a small, convenient clearing. Grabbing the tail, he gave it a hearty tug – enough to elicit a jolt and a yelp from the boughs above.

“Kye, c’mon,” Drake said. “Hiding won’t do you any good.”

Kye’s tall silhouette moved in the treetop, and Drake let go of the tail so the demon-kin could climb down. It was funny to look at him now and think he was trying to prepare someone like this to go to a royal ball. You know, the guy with huge, bat-like demon wings sprouting from his back, a tail, fangs, a huge left gauntlet with spikes and claws…

Drake frowned and pretended to size him up as he circled him. Kye rubbed the back of his neck with his right hand, turning to face Drake as he walked around.

“Will you stop?” Drake said, though he fought back a laugh. “If you start spinning in circles when the tailor’s sizing you up, you’re gonna frustrate the shit out of him.”

“Sorry,” Kye replied promptly, standing still.

Just like Drake thought, he was going to need serious work. But, sure, Kye was a handsome guy, especially if all the stares he got when he rode down the street were any indication. Tall, muscular… tall, dark, and handsome, really. Put simply, he was striking.

When he didn’t have horns on his forehead, at least. He even had a second, longer pair curling back on top of his head, just to make sure everyone knew he had horns, as if the pointed ears and every other demonic feature didn’t give it away. He also had purple hair, most of it pulled behind his neck in a ponytail.

And then there were those confused, bright violet eyes that kept staring at him. This time, Drake couldn’t help but grin.

“First thing’s first,” he said, “I need to warn you about actually wearing a complete shirt, not that weird back-less jerkin thing.”

Kye suddenly looked morose, though his tail kept endlessly waving back and forth behind him, like it always did. “But – what about my wings?”

“If they pop out, you’re screwed either way, so there’s no reason to leave room for them. Besides,” he glanced at Kye’s back – a complete mess of crisscrossing whip scars with huge, jagged rune scar carved there by a knife set in the foreground – and frowned, “that’s the last thing you want anyone to see, other than all these demon bits.”

“Right, yeah, okay…”

“The clothes are gonna be pretty tight, too. Show off your physique, and all that.”

Kye grunted. “Sure, great…”

“And you’ll have to lose the gauntlet,” Drake finished, grabbing and holding up the huge, heavy metal thing that went all the way up Kye’s left forearm, ending in a set of long spikes coming off his elbow.

Kye tugged it away from him, nervously rubbing his metal claws together. “That…” he swallowed mid-sentence. “That – doesn’t come off.”

Drake arched a brow. “Why not?”

The demon-kin looked away from him and said quietly, “It’s a long story, Tom.”

Silence fell so abruptly that they were left listening to the pleasant songbirds chirping away in the trees – which, somehow, made the silence even more awkward. Even for Kye, that was a strange tone. But Drake shrugged.

“Alright,” he said, “it’ll be a fashion statement. Sure.” He clapped Kye on the shoulder. “So, last thing: you know how to dance, right?”

It took a moment before Kye looked at him again, staring dumbly. Drake waited patiently for him to find some words.

Finally, Kye asked in a tiny voice, “What’s, uh… What’s dancing?”

Drake’s face went blank.

That lasted for a second or two before he suddenly laughed. Kye’s face went red, and Drake felt worse, but he kept grinning.

“Oh, gods, Kye – it’s not funny—” Drake said quickly, though he laughed again and had to stop himself. “You’re just so hopeless, and it’s adorable.”

Kye looked miserable and rubbed at the back of his neck again, his tail giving one sharp jerk out of rhythm before resuming its back-and-forth waving.

“Look, I’m sorry. I’m an ass.” Drake cleared his throat. “Dancing is, ah… something people do to…”

“Flirt with girls?” Kye said in a tone that sounded like he assumed everything Drake was knowledgeable about eventually came down to flirting. Which wasn’t entirely true.

Still, Drake made a thoughtful face. “Well, yeah, but it’s kind of more a cultural thing. It’s important to know, anyway, if you’re going to blend in with… you know, mortals.”

Kye nodded quietly.

“Look, I’ll show you.” Drake stepped up in front of him, taking Kye’s left hand and putting it on his shoulder, taking Kye’s right hand in his left and holding it, just before resting his own right hand on Kye’s hip.

Kye made an odd face at him that really showed all his long, sharp canines, but Drake just arched a brow.

“I didn’t say it wouldn’t be awkward.”

Then he abruptly pulled Kye right against his body, and Kye’s face went red.

“That doesn’t seem – really – do you have to—?”

Kye stopped sputtering but quickly reached down, grabbed Drake’s hand on his hip, and moved it up to his rough, scarred back instead, just below a wing. Drake managed not to laugh.

“Your back doesn’t have the most romantic texture, Kye,” Drake remarked. “But, luckily for you, girls love scars.”

He then led Kye around in a dance – Drake was graceful and practiced, but Kye kept stumbling and stepping on Drake’s feet, his tail going to and fro even faster than usual in frustration and flicking around erratically.

“Tom, this – this is impossible,” Kye blurted. “What’s the point?

“I thought you get all gooey when you think about these endearing things mortals do,” Drake said with a grin. “And if you can climb buildings and jump around on them in the dark, Kye, you can dance. Just follow my lead.”

Drake didn’t go easy on him. He swiveled him, he dipped him, and the entire time, Kye sputtered and occasionally tried to pull free of his grip, but Drake never let him. And he wore a grin almost half the time.

Finally, Drake grabbed one of Kye’s legs to hook it around his hip, dipped him again, dramatically, and then finally let Kye scramble away from him, red in the face. Drake gave a little bow.

“See? That wasn’t so hard. I kept it simple, and you did pretty good for a beginner.”

Kye frowned, staring up at some clouds like he did so often, still blushing unbelievably.

“There’s no way I can do all that with a random person,” he finally said flatly. “Or… anybody.”

“Well, you can stand in the corner and drink wine instead,” Drake replied. “Later, I’ll show you where the royal gardens are, since that seems more like your thing. But trust me, dancing is fun.”

For a second, it almost looked like Kye believed him. The demon-kin resumed rubbing the back of his neck some more and stared at the ground instead before, eventually, he looked up to meet Drake’s green-and-gold eyes again.

“Why can’t you just go?” Kye finally asked. “I’m a disaster waiting to happen.”

Drake frowned. “Kye, you’re not,” he answered, finally serious – serious enough that it surprised Kye, from the way his purple eyes blinked. “Stop being so down on yourself.”

After a brief bout of hesitation, Kye tried again: “Is everyone else coming, too? I mean, we all know you’re just gonna go flirt with a bunch of girls, and then Magnhild will glare at you the entire time, and…”

Drake’s mind generally moved at top speed, and often pretty erratically. So when it hit a stone wall, it could be painful – like right now.

He blurted, “She what?

Kye blinked. “Oh. I, um… thought you knew she did that…”

Drake was about to say something more, before he realized that, if he tried, he’d end up sputtering and sounding like Kye did half the time. So, instead, he took a second to compose himself.

“I’ll leave you to it, then,” Drake said, giving Kye another friendly smack on the shoulder. He always kept those gentle, but Kye still winced every time, anyway. “Practice dancing with a branch or something.”

“Okay,” Kye replied, but Drake knew immediately from his tone that he was going to just go sit in a tree and listen to birds and stare at clouds some more. And probably leave his tail hanging down conspicuously again – not that Kye ever seemed terribly aware of what his tail was doing.

Drake offered him an encouraging smile. “You’re gonna do great,” he said, just before he turned and left to go find Magnhild and the others again.

Now he almost felt bad for teaching Kye the girl’s part of the dance.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

Brief one, pulled out of a very old short story I never posted publicly.

Prompt, "Whump (your character loses something they love)"

Instantly, Kye surged to his feet – and so did Febriel. They rounded on each other, one staring at the other in equal shock and horror.

He knew instantly exactly what was going through her mind: he was a demon.

For a long moment, neither of them could speak. Finally, the pale-faced Febriel set her jaw and drew in a slow, deep breath, her hands shaking at her sides.

“I knew there was something wrong about you,” she said, her voice low.

But nothing about Kye was slow and measured – his heart pounded, his head hurt, his face was on fire, and he felt more emotions than he could even understand. He shook all over and stammered.

“I-it – it’s not like that!” he finally managed to sputter, his voice cracking. “I – I don’t – I’m not…!”

“Save your lies,” Febriel snapped. She sucked in a sharp breath and finished in a hiss, “Demon.”

Kye swallowed against the lump in his otherwise dry throat, his eyes burning with tears. “I’m not like them!” he suddenly cried. “I’m not evil! I’m not a monster!”

“I should slay you where you stand,” was Febriel’s only answer, though her voice wavered and came out weak.

“Please…” Kye breathed in desperation, almost ready to let his buckling knees finally give out. He managed to find his voice again and begged, “Febriel, please, just – just don’t leave me alone… I’m not like them – I’m not! You know I’m not!”

“Be glad,” Febriel went on, unable to speak without her voice shaking, “I’m letting you leave with your life. Go, Kye. If I ever see you again…”

“Don’t do this – please… I’m not like them…”

“I’ll kill you,” she finished, her voice low.

With that, she turned her back on him and strode off into the forest, not once looking over her shoulder. Kye collapsed, falling to his hands and knees. He watched her go, his great wings sagging by his sides as he trembled violently from head to toe with no idea what to do. He wanted to call out to her, to plead her to stop…

Febriel!” he managed to cry out, but that was all. When he tried to raise his voice again, all that came out was a quiet whimper. “Don’t do this,” he sobbed, watching her disappear into the woods. “Don’t leave me alone again… Please… just – just… come back…”

Kye dropped onto his side, burying his face in his hands and giving in, sobbing and moaning uncontrollably. Everything he thought he was learning suddenly fell to pieces before his eyes. What he hoped was a new life and another chance, one he’d fought for tooth and claw, shattered like so much glass. His heart seared pain deep into his chest with every throbbing beat as if trying to tear itself in two.

For the first time in his life, he had felt something he’d never known – something he’d only heard mortals talk about as a strange concept… something he saw in their smiles, in their eyes, heard in their laughter. It had always been little more than a hopeless dream he’d chased after for his entire immortal life. Now he knew that feeling, and he knew what it was like to have it ripped from his very soul – when he was only just beginning to understand it.

For the first time in his life, he had been happy.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#3 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

I love what you've written so far! It would be interesting to see if we could supply prompts.

If so, here's one that I've thought about turning into a little short story like these:

Ildrius does something that makes him look inspiring.

#4 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

Well he was inspiring, at least to the right crowd. I'll see what I can do, maybe. :P But yeah - you're free to supply prompts to me here. I'd love to fill some out. Especially prompts regarding some of my main characters, since I like developing them from every possible angle.

Sorry - forgot to update this thread when I wrote more prompts! I wrote these over a week ago, for the OCtober prompts going on over at the r/fanfic reddit. Since my friend is hosting it and encouraging me to participate, I did the week before last's prompt, although I had to skip this week since the prompt hit a little too close to some major future plot points in Wulfgard... :P

The prompt for this time was "give your character social media." I had an absolute blast with this one. My friend is trying to encourage me to write "Kye and Caiden displaced in modern times" ficlets, and I admit, it's awfully tempting. For this one, I wrote a prompt fill for Kye and one for Caiden. Mild language warning. :lol:

Social Media prompt - Kye

“Kye, look,” said Drake, as he handed Kye a flat, rectangular black thing. The demon-kin took it, tail flicking once in confusion. “This is the digital age, so it’s time you caught up. Here’s a smartphone, and I already set up a bunch of bullshit social media accounts, so you can screw around on there.”

Kye turned it over in his hands, his claws scraping the shiny finish. He made a face at it. “How’s it work?”

Drake clicked a little button on the side and a screen came on. He moved his finger around on it and things happened. Kye watched, dumbstruck.

“I’m afraid, ah… you’re gonna have to use it one-handed,” Drake pointed out. “Claws and touchscreens don’t mix. So look, here’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, blah blah blah…”

“What’re all those things?”

Drake thought about that for a second. “Well,” he replied, “Facebook is where you collect all these ‘friends’ you don’t really know and then brag about things you do to make all your non-friends on your friends list feel bad.”

Kye blinked. “That doesn’t sound very nice.”

“It isn’t. Twitter is where you post little tiny messages for brevity’s sake, I think it was started as some kinda artsy thing. But most people just make huge threads of messages anyway, so it defeats the point.”

“Okay…”

“Aaand Instagram is for images. That’s mostly it.”

Kye furrowed his brow. “So… what’s the point?” He paused. “This seems like something demons of Pride would invent.”

Drake laughed. “They probably did, but you’re never gonna fit in with mortals if you ask questions like that. Now here, give it a shot…”

Kye flicked around blindly on the phone and ended up tapping a picture of some multicolored thing, which was apparently Instagram. And he was instantly assaulted by a picture of Drake standing over the corpse of a wyvern with a sword sticking out of its head. He was looking at the camera and giving a thumbs-up. The description read, “Beat @gnaeusthegreatest to that wyvern he mentioned. Try to keep up, buddy! #wrekt”

“Oh, yeah, all your accounts already follow mine,” Drake added casually. “‘Cause, y’know.”

“I don’t know,” Kye replied, quite honestly.

Drake frowned. “Well, there’s this whole…” he gestured vaguely. “Look, you’re not ready for me to talk about follower, ah, measuring yet. I’m gonna take you somewhere scenic and you can take some pictures, okay?”

Kye was completely lost.

But it didn’t take long for Drake to get him on the back of his motorcycle – because of course he had a motorcycle, and of course Kye had to ride on the back – and drive at breakneck speeds to some park somewhere. Kye lost track of where they were going when he shoved his face into the back of Drake’s shoulder and held on for dear life.

When they arrived, Kye promptly got to work. He had no trouble finding subjects for posts, as he was now surrounded by brightly-colored flowers, trees, singing birds, a running stream, sunshine, a blue sky with just enough puffy clouds of white to make perfect pictures, and… Well, anyway, it was a wonderland.

In an hour and a half, Kye returned to Drake, who was busy lounging in the shade of a tree. And Kye said flatly, “My phone won’t take anymore pictures.”

Drake took it and his eyes went wide. “Kye, you filled up this entire phone in less than two hours. The hell were you even doing?”

Kye rubbed the back of his neck. “I… was taking pictures of pretty things.”

Drake flipped through the great Instagram spam on the demon’s account. It was pictures of everything. Trees, bark, leaves, flowers, insects, birds, the sky, clouds, sunlight filtering through the leaves, and videos of birdsongs, videos of running water, videos of…

“You think everything is pretty,” Drake said flatly.

The descriptions were lackluster, though, especially given Kye had next to no idea what he was looking at half the time, so there were certainly no specifics on tree or flower types. One post read, “Pretty flower. #flowers”

Kye blushed fiercely and retorted in a mumble, “That stuff is pretty.”

Drake shrugged and said, “I won’t argue. You’re, uh… artistic, actually. These are really good. Although people like it if you slap a filter on things.”

Kye frowned. “They make it not pretty anymore.”

Drake couldn’t help but grin. Getting to his feet, he put an arm around Kye’s shoulders and led him back toward the dreaded motorcycle.

“C’mon,” he said, laughing, “let’s go get you the biggest memory card we can find.”

Social Media prompt - Caiden

Almost the instant he’d woken up that morning, Caiden had reminded Gwen they had another mission that day: apparently, some unknown threat had moved into a suburban area not far from where they lived. Locals kept shouting about pranksters. But all the evidence pointed toward ghouls. Big difference… not that most people knew that.

So, of course, it wasn’t long before Caiden was standing by the door, bristling with all his armor, guns, and gear, quadruple-checking a tricked-out assault rifle. Gwen sauntered over to him, all her weapons already holstered. But she paused when she reached her partner, as she realized he wasn’t checking his gun a fifth time. He was looking at his phone.

“You okay, Caid?” she asked, arching a long, thin brow. “You aren’t sick, are you?”

He gave a brief, quiet growl in his throat. “Tom said he likes my Twitter account.”

Gwen tried not to burst into laughter on the spot. “Did he now?”

Caiden was far too perceptive to let the innocent hint of a smile on her lips slip past him, and he held his smartphone up in her face. She was presented with a simplistic Twitter account page for one Caiden Voros, which had tweeted several things, all with the same hashtag:

“Eat it. #WWCD”

In a reply to the above tweet, “No or minimal chewing.”

“Narrow eye at it. #WWCD”

“Growl at it. Show teeth. #WWCD”

“Punch it. #WWCD”

“Maybe get a lip twitch. #WWCD”

There were assorted other tweets in the same vein. Gwen had to grin at her own handiwork.

“Knew it,” Caiden said flatly.

“It’s all in good fun, Caid,” Gwen replied, not at all worried that she would get punched or eaten… although Caiden narrowed his one blue eye at her, right on cue. “You said you never wanted a Twitter account, so I made one for you. You have a lot of fans.”

Caiden grunted. “Tell them to join the Venatori, then.” But he slid his phone back into a pocket, slung his assault rifle on his back, and turned to lay a hand on the doorknob. Gwen took the opportunity to slip her own phone from her pocket and quickly click it on, her thumbs working furiously.

Her partner stopped and looked back at her, watching silently for a second before prompting, “You ready?”

Gwen stayed logged into Caiden’s would-be Twitter account on her phone for moments just like this one. Her eyes darted over her tweet one final time…

“Focus on the mission. #WWCD”

And then she posted it.

Looking up at Caiden again and putting her phone away, she replied with a smile, “Let’s go.”

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#5 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Mine list, twice-checked

• 1,359 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

Now he almost felt bad for teaching Kye the girl’s part of the dance.

For the first time in his life, he had been happy.

Drake thought about that for a second. “Well,” he replied, “Facebook is where you collect all these ‘friends’ you don’t really know and then brag about things you do to make all your non-friends on your friends list feel bad.”

Kye blinked. “That doesn’t sound very nice.”

“It isn’t."

Kye furrowed his brow. “So… what’s the point?” He paused. “This seems like something demons of Pride would invent.”

“You think everything is pretty,” Drake said flatly.

“Eat it. #WWCD”

In a reply to the above tweet, “No or minimal chewing.”

Your affinity for summing up the state of modern culture and social media while juxtaposing it with fantasy characters is absolutely splendid!  Your capacity for cruelty to your own characters is...worrisome...however.  :P

Still, all of these were great fun to read!  I have a few prompts to suggest, if you like:

• Caiden vs. Plexaura - Embarrassing childhood photo sharing 
  • Kye asks a girl on a date (maybe modern Febriel?)
  • First taste of battle - any character
  • Tom trips into someone important, has to charm his way out of it  Edit: Bonus points if it's someone he can't/doesn't want to seduce, but knows he shouldn't fight.  But if you want to show him putting his famous moves on, I won't complain.

Have fun!

Edited by Lord_Capulet, 13 November 2017 - 08:24 AM.

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#6 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:22 AM

Your affinity for summing up the state of modern culture and social media while juxtaposing it with fantasy characters is absolutely splendid!  Your capacity for cruelty to your own characters is...worrisome...however.  :P

Still, all of these were great fun to read!  I have a few prompts to suggest, if you like:

• Caiden vs. Plexaura - Embarrassing childhood photo sharing 
  • Kye asks a girl on a date (maybe modern Febriel?)
  • First taste of battle - any character
  • Tom trips into someone important, has to charm his way out of it  Edit: Bonus points if it's someone he can't/doesn't want to seduce, but knows he shouldn't fight.  But if you want to show him putting his famous moves on, I won't complain.

Have fun!

Oh, you have only just begun to see my capacity for cruelty to my own characters... >.>

I'll definitely write some of these sometime! :D Thanks for the prompts, Cappy!

And I come bearing another drabble. I'll just copy my post from my Tumblr and put it here, for simplicity, since that way I don't have to do the formatting over again. :P

A thing inspired by Guild Wars 2 RPs with Taff​, by her suggestion, about her OC, Sadja Shielding, and my OC, Caiden Voros. I must say, I’m very glad I started playing GW2 with her (you probably saw the previous post about it that I shared from Taff’s blog). Not only is it fun in its own right, but getting to know Sadja is an absolute joy. She’s the best.

I had to wait until I was a little high on I’m-staying-up-too-late feelings to muster up the courage to actually write this, because I have no confidence writing other people’s characters. Especially if I really, really like those characters.

So, here it is, for better or for worse. But I can say one thing - this was an absolute blast to write.

Warning: shameless cuddling. In the “I’m cold, let’s share warmth” kind of way. Maybe. Mostly. Arguably. Sort of.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snow. Everywhere. Everything was freezing, and the sparse braziers emitted only enough heat to provoke memories of what warmth was supposed to feel like. The entire region was so cold that the damn ships were made out of icebergs, with wood – from somewhere, maybe imported? – haphazardly stuck around to form walls and walkways. Some big, messy sails poked up in various places, theoretically to make the ‘ship’ move. Although Sadja had never actually seen one of these moving. So why the hell were there sails on them?

Not that it was a concern at the moment. The only real concern right now was getting warm.

After running around freezing themselves to the bone all day, Sadja had found a decent enough place to try to get some rest. True, it was only a little corner of wood on the giant kodan (those were bear-people, by the way) iceberg-ship, but it was still warmer than anything covered in snow – which was, literally, everything else in the vicinity.

She had even found a big, thick fur to sleep under for an oversized blanket. The kodans didn’t have much use for that kind of thing, so she’d found one by poking around in a crate in a corner.

Glancing around, she decided Voros had backed down on their deal, after all, even after claiming he wouldn’t. And since all the kodans slept locked up in houses, she couldn’t mooch off their warmth instead.

Unceremoniously removing all her armor, overflowing bags, weapons, and assorted other gear, Sadja dumped it in a corner and rolled herself up in the fur. Maybe it would be warm enough, but probably not.

She started to doze, despite the cold, when something nudged her, and she awoke instantly. The recognizably large and muscle-bound form, one that definitely didn’t belong to a bear-man, disturbed her arguably warm makeshift-bedroll-sanctuary.

“You’re late,” Sadja ribbed as Voros pulled the blanket back over them both, like an awkward sleeping bag. He’d even come shirtless, so Sadja wormed her way out of her own shirt and threw it somewhere else, too.

Voros grunted.

“Almost thought you’d chickened out,” she prompted. It was so hard to get a rise out of this guy, and thus all the more rewarding when it actually worked.

“Told you I wouldn’t,” he replied a bit flatly. He finally slid his thick arms around her, though she noted just how tense those big muscles were.

“Relax, Voros,” Sadja said, perhaps a bit groggily, though she did pointedly turn over to steal more of his warmth by resting her face near his chest. Well, and to make him even more uncomfortable, because it was a little funny the way he squirmed for half a second afterward.

He just grunted again, somewhere deep in the chest she lay against, the sound even vaguer this time.

“So, hey,” she wondered aloud through a yawn as one hand lazily tried to travel south along his body, finding more than a few scars along the way to his navel, “do you have pants on?”

“Get some sleep, Sadja,” Caiden rumbled just as tiredly, removing one hand from around her only long enough to direct hers back up north somewhere.

“Mh…”

Mh,” he echoed – teasingly, at least for him. She heard a hint of a smile in his tone. For once. No doubt there wasn’t a trace of it actually on his face.

Then she added, “If you snore, I’m finding a kodan.”

“No you’re not.”

“Is that a challenge?”

“It’s a fact.”

Sadja grinned. Voros sounded pretty sure of himself, and like he cared quite a bit if she went off to make her bed with some bear-person instead. But she was too tired to keep this up, so she settled for snuggling far closer to him than ever would be allowed, especially when there was virtually no clothing involved, by the social norms Voros seemed to hold in such high regard.

Apparently sensing her giving out, Caiden said with a finality that implied the phrase would seal the deal and make her fall asleep, “Good night, Sadja.”

“Good night, Snoros,” she replied, just before tucking her face somewhere between his neck and chest to make sure her nose didn’t freeze and fall off in the night. He really was very warm.

Just before she dozed off, as Voros had planned, she thought she felt him pull her even closer, so close she could have solved the question regarding his pants, and put his face against her head. But, at that point, it was hard to tell… given she was already asleep.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#7 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Patron
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Can we come up with prompts for you (and others, if they want to attempt them as well?)
Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#8 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:21 PM

Can we come up with prompts for you (and others, if they want to attempt them as well?)

You can post prompts for me, if you like, and I'll almost certainly write a few at some point or another. :) I mostly like to use these prompts as kind of warmups before I start writing in one of my novels. As for others, sure, but they'll have to make their own topics for that sort of thing.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#9 Lukas Exemplar

Lukas Exemplar

Arr! Both a piraty slang and Old Norse for 'warrior'

• Nova Patron
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

You can post prompts for me, if you like, and I'll almost certainly write a few at some point or another. :) I mostly like to use these prompts as kind of warmups before I start writing in one of my novels. As for others, sure, but they'll have to make their own topics for that sort of thing.

Prompt = Herakles meets Thor. They go fishing... for what, I don't know. Something big and scary perhaps?
Me at a library: Where is it? Oh! I didn't notice the book among all those books.
Lukas S.

#10 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

I prefer to write prompts about my own characters... :P That way I'm both warming up for writing and warming up for writing the characters themselves. Plus, it's always good to explore them in unusual ways you might not think of yourself.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#11 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

I wrote another quick thing. I'll toss my Tumblr post up here for simplicity...

Again, warning: language.

I wrote another thing inspired by the RPing Taff and I get up to in Guild Wars 2. I’m starting to try working with scenes from Caiden’s POV in a novel I’m writing, but it’s very... challenging for me, in more ways than one.

So, since we had some totally amazing RP moments going on today (not that we don’t always), I figured it might be good practice to try writing a fun little drabble from his POV of their camping tonight, just to try getting into his head and writing some thoughts and stuff.

It ended up being, um... a lot longer than I originally intended. This was gonna just be a super little thing, but I kind of got into it.

Enjoy! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

He couldn’t sleep. The hard rocks under his back – or under his side, or his stomach, however he tried to lay – should’ve been what kept him awake. But it wasn’t. Caiden had slept on harder things. Worse things. And he’d slept in filthier places – more dangerous places.

No, it wasn’t anything like that. It was her.

He rolled over again, daring to peer at Sadja as she lay, maybe asleep, on the other side of the precarious perch where they slept: the top of some largely crumbled ruins, on a little platform of stone that reached straight up to the sky. It offered a good view of the entire fen, plus it was almost high enough you couldn’t quite smell it so strong.

She’d picked the spot. They had been here before, even slept here before. Felt almost like a long time ago now, after all they had been through. Together. That was the most important part.

Or was it?

Caiden had plenty of partners in the past. Students, even, if that was really the word for them. People he’d mentored, anyway. Watched, helped, guarded, guided – even if he sometimes found himself kept on track by them more than the alternative. It was hard to think of them as “students,” considering how capable they had all been already. Including her. Especially her.

Dammit.

He was doing it again. Shifting in some vague discomfort with himself – or was it disappointment, or annoyance? – he turned over for perhaps the dozenth time tonight, looking out across the fen instead of at her. Caiden took a deep breath and then regretted it. Turned out you could still smell the swamp pretty strongly up here.

His fingers absently found his longbow – a recent acquisition, given he vastly preferred his sword and shield. A slime monster slid around not too far underneath him. The sound annoyed him, or at least it did right now, even as quiet as it was. It probably wouldn’t have at any other time.

So he took his bow in an unnecessarily iron grip, sat up, and reached for an arrow. Drawing it back, he squinted his eye – aiming with one eye was a bitch, it’d taken him years to get used to it – and loosed.

The arrow was enough to knock the ooze, now formed into a ridiculous little bouncing ball that made for a difficult target, straight off the edge of the ruins. It flew so he barely heard the splat, somewhere far below.

It didn’t help.

Caiden set his bow aside again, a guttural sigh rumbling in his chest. Now something was wrong with him, too. He was used to worrying, and used to far worse things, but he could push everything aside in the face of his mission. Once he’d learned to compartmentalize, he had even learned how to sleep again. He’d been able to sleep for years, despite the things in his head. The sights, the smells, the sounds – things he couldn’t forget. All he had been through, fought through. Things that still haunted him.

Including the people he used to worry about. Most of them were gone now, one way or another. Usually the worst ways. Ways he couldn’t save them from. Sometimes he had even had to watch.

And now she was flinging herself around like she almost wanted to be lost that way, too. The jokes were quiet. The teasing was gone. All the things he’d thought he hated but ended up enjoying. Getting used to.

And, at this point, missing. Everything from her telling him not to eat like the bottomless pit he was or not to get himself drunk, right down to berating his endless stoicism and discipline, to the point that he’d found himself being dragged out of his once-impenetrable shell, inch by inch, by a hook in his navel like she’d caught him on a fishing line.

He even missed hearing her laugh at him and rib him over getting an undead’s hammer straight to his sternum and being thrown flat on his ass, wind knocked out of his lungs. Pointing out, unnecessarily, that yes, that drake had, in fact, swallowed him whole. As if he hadn’t noticed. Thanks for the reminders now and then.

And yet all of it made getting the shit beaten out of him not seem so bad, as long as she was fighting by his side.

He probably ought to just back off and let her get over it. But when she was flying into berserk rages and running ahead without looking back, it became hard to let it go. When she nearly died fighting hordes of undead while he struggled somewhere a few feet away, poisoned and weak. Surrounded but distracted, glancing at her every few seconds, even with only the one eye to spare. All but ignoring the assorted jagged-toothed living dead bearing down on him, one thought on his mind: Get her back on her feet.

Now he lay here, staring up at the stars. His eyepatch itched, and he abruptly ripped it off his head and flung it over with his other gear. That wasn’t something he ever did, as self-conscious as he was of the gaping hole in his skull. But, right now, every damn thing annoyed him. Relief from any of it was better than none.

That, and maybe it felt nice to throw something. He wanted to destroy something, with his hands rather than shooting an arrow. But if Sadja was asleep, he wasn’t going to wake her.

All of it kept replaying in his head. Things she’d said. Things she hadn’t said. The silence that had lingered when there previously would have been none, because she would’ve broken it. He kept trying to figure it out. Driving himself crazy. It felt wrong. This should be the last thing on his mind, but it kept clawing its way back to the surface.

Perhaps the most absurd, uncharacteristic part of it all was the simple question that kept knocking against the walls of his skull: Is it me?

Something he was doing? Something he wasn’t doing? Was he giving himself too much credit, making himself too important? Was he completely blowing this all out of proportion? Was he just being a big damn idiot?

And where the hell had his discipline gone?

It used to define him, and now he felt like he’d managed to shunt it all into her and straight out of himself. Gone, at least where she was concerned. But what she had right now wasn’t really discipline, or she wouldn’t be charging headlong into battle… Not that he hadn’t done that his fair share of times.

He actually felt like doing it right now. Walking right down off the particular little formations of ruins that had allowed them to climb up here and finding something to punch. In the face. Hard.

Not helping curb that wrathful desire was the fact that that he still hated himself for not catching up to her in time to haul her up to their perch in his arms, or just over a wide shoulder if she kept fussing, after she’d hurt her leg. No, she’d walked on it instead. Climbed on it.

Something else shoved its way into the front of his mind. Another thing she’d said just a few hours ago, before sundown. “I’m not here to distract you.”

Caiden snorted. His gaze flicked down from the sky to watch another ooze try to make his way up the ruins toward them. Giving it no thought, he found his bow and another arrow, also knocking this one away from their excuse for a camp. Away from Sadja. Away from what he wanted to protect more than anything else. More than saving the world.

Not here to distract him…

It was a little late for that now.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#12 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 626 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:37 AM

These are awesome.

Prompt: Kye has to pretend to be Drake.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#13 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:50 PM

I wrote another Guild Wars 2 drabble, and my RP partner pretty clearly indicated this may be my best yet. But since it does have one F-bomb in it, I'll be linking to it instead of copy-pasting it here. You can find it here.

Enjoy! And as always, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#14 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

For some reason when I read this, I had this mental image of Drake attempting to seduce Scaevius. 

I will gladly accept this as a belated birthday gift if you decide to toss aside your morals to write that. :D

But here are some more serious prompts:

• One of your characters meets one of Scorp's, i.e. Plutarch meets Lysander.
  • Point of view story told by a minor character, for example, a peasant tells a story about meeting Drake. Or alternatively:
  • Point of view story told by a enemy, for example, a undead creature talks about his master being killed.

#15 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

For the record, I'm planning to write more of the prompts suggested in here very soon. I'm currently working on a novel project focusing on Caiden, so I'm mostly writing about him right now for warmups and practice in-between big novel-writing sessions. But as I shift focus to the sequel to Knightfall, I'll definitely be revisiting the prompts in here. :D

Got a new drabble, this one is another Guild Wars 2 one. Due to language (one f-bomb, again, and a few minor curses), I'll be linking to it again.

Summary:

Snuggles are getting a little more frequent, the relationship running ever deeper. At least, when Caid isn't busy being hungry and doing something pretty damn stupid.

You can find it here.

For some reason when I read this, I had this mental image of Drake attempting to seduce Scaevius. 

I will gladly accept this as a belated birthday gift if you decide to toss aside your morals to write that. :D

But here are some more serious prompts:

• One of your characters meets one of Scorp's, i.e. Plutarch meets Lysander.
  • Point of view story told by a minor character, for example, a peasant tells a story about meeting Drake. Or alternatively:
  • Point of view story told by a enemy, for example, a undead creature talks about his master being killed.

Tell me, does that sound like something Tom would ever do? Especially since he's barely even capable of being in the same room as Scaevius without trying to insult him, regardless of his authority. :P

Fun prompts! I'll definitely give some of these a shot. The very last one there, though... you may be interested in a project I'm working on. ;)

And the first one... reminds me just how badly Scorp and I need to go back and finish an old project of ours that we were co-writing. Interested in hearing about some Silent Messenger adventures of Hanan and Kye? :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#16 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:21 PM

I don't pretend to understand the raging ball of hormones that is Drake. It was supposed to be a silly little thing. :P

Can't wait to read those stories!

#17 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Mine list, twice-checked

• 1,359 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

Ew.  And out of character, given the two character's mutual hatred and Tom being very, very into ladies.  I was thinking more along the lines of a lady against Tom's standards (i.e. married, related to someone he respects, too young, whatever Wolfy decides) or just not very attractive to him (too old, etc.)  Perhaps the Queen of Illikon herself?  Running into her would be awkward for just about anyone, to put it mildly.

Fun prompts! I'll definitely give some of these a shot. The very last one there, though... you may be interested in a project I'm working on. ;)

And the first one... reminds me just how badly Scorp and I need to go back and finish an old project of ours that we were co-writing. Interested in hearing about some Silent Messenger adventures of Hanan and Kye? :P

Oooh, foreshadowing!

Certainly!  Given the recent release of the Silent Messengers figures, including Hanan, the timing seems right.  

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#18 Dalton Kringle

Dalton Kringle

Almish Santa.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:05 PM

I know that , Cappy. It's just when I saw the 'can't/doesn't want to seduce' part of your original post, and I just thought "what if Drake tried to seduce Scaevius?"

It wasn't supposed to be serious, and it was supposed to be funny because they hate each-other. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users