Photo

Star Wars Movie Thread: Qi'ra? I barely even know'a!

• Please log in to reply
2088 replies to this topic

Poll: STAR WARS

When Rey wondered what she should tell Finn, what did Chewie suggest?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1921 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,710 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:58 AM

OK, but can we talk about Kylo's

Spoiler

1/10, worst Star Wars movie.

#1922 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

If every porkchop were perfect . . .

• Nova Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

I am devastated.

I hated this film.

Spoiler

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

heroes_and_villains_header___small_by_ra

Click the picture to check out Reaperman290's new roleplay, Heroes & Villains!

no I'm not just advertising it because it's a spin-off of my own roleplay why would you think that

#1923 Florent

Florent

Poe Dayumeron

• Nova Member
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

Spoiler

God I loved it so much.

eWjgVRV.gifCv9qYsI.gifWT0zDwa.gif

#1924 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

• Nova Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

Spoiler

POWERSLIDE

no I'm not just advertising it because it's a spin-off of my own roleplay why would you think that

#1925 Florent

Florent

Poe Dayumeron

• Nova Member
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

I mean Mark Hamill doesn't really have great input on Luke in general. He doesn't have a super great understanding of the universe at all. He said in an interview that he made up his own backstory for Luke wherein he got married, had a kid, and the kid killed himself with Luke's lightsaber on accident. He also thought that Luke should come back into Return of the Jedi with tattoos and pierced ears and a biker haircut. The dude is not much of an authority on great artistic decisions :P

#1926 ABSplastic

ABSplastic

• Nova Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

How can we save Hamill bros? He didn't deserve this.

#1927 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

• Nova Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

I can't believe you took that seriously. It's painfully obvious Mark is joking with those statements. He's a big jokester, and he doesn't mean that. What he does mean is that he fundamentally disagreed with every decision Rian made for Luke. If you think Mark doesn't understand Luke, you're kidding yourself.

POWERSLIDE

#1928 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 647 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

POPULAR

I think it absolutely makes sense.

Spoiler

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#1929 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Member
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:26 PM

I BRING GIFS

Spoiler

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#1930 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,710 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:00 PM

I think Florent nailed it 100%

Spoiler

#1931 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

Right now, I'm of the opinion...

It's no longer a question of IF The Last Jedi is the best SW movie. It's a question of WHEN will it be universally considered so like ESB started to be in the late 90s/early 00s?

People forget the borderline worship of ESB didn't really start until the Prequels were well underway.

For some edited clarification; I'm not declaring ESB as a lesser film anymore. OT is always gonna have a special place. But TLJ just forces me to examine all of my most deep-seating feelings about what Star Wars is or should be.

I have to be honest. My interest and faith in this world had been steadily declining through the cusps of early adulthood, and while TCW and Rebels had been holding the torch for me, TFA was only a middling bump of resurgent interest. I was at the point where if TLJ didn't do anything for me, I was gonna bow out after Rebels ends sometime early next year.

This movie challenged every aspect of my once-strong reverence for Star Wars. And through the fires of examining, deconstructing, and even a little rebuilding, has reforged my love of the series stronger than ever.

PXwSeJy.png

#1932 Florent

Florent

Poe Dayumeron

• Nova Member
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

Well it's certainly better than Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. . . But is it better than A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back? I have to see it again, but it may be a close second behind ESB. What a fricken ballsy movie by Rian Johnson. It wasn't what we wanted. It wasn't what we deserved. It was what we needed. It's the first Star Wars movie that doesn't cater to the audience's expectations. It literally (LITERALLY) throws them out in like the first scene. You know which one I'm talking about. Rian gave us such a new take on everything we loved, and I love him for that. 

Spoiler

#1933 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,710 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:25 PM

Give me another couple of years and like fifteen more rewatches before I can really say where I'd put it in relation to ANH and ESB. I'm sure Episode IX will change the context in which we see VIII, too; for better or worse, who can say.

It's hard to declare anything outright better than ANH or ESB because they're just such incredibly influential movies in... y'know, human history, I guess. ANH, or the movie that was just called STAR WARS, changed the whole face of cinema and (along with Jaws) pretty much defined the modern blockbuster as we know it. Then Empire Strikes Back came along, showed us that the bad guys could win and popularised the trend of telling a story across three movies. Every 'dark middle chapter' in modern fiction owes it all to Empire; one of the most widely parodied, homaged, borrowed from, outright ripped off movies ever made. It's a cultural touchstone that transcends mere movies. Everyone knows Empire Strikes Back, everyone knows "Luke I am your father", even the handful of people who've never even seen a Star War. And that's to say nothing of the fact that Empire is a brilliant, brilliant movie in its own right, from the script to the cinematography to the writing to the acting to the action; whether you look at it with a critical eye or simply as a work of fiction that resonates with people, it is without a doubt one of the best movies there is.

But, yeah, Empire Strikes Back wasn't appreciated in its own time. By all accounts, audiences were upset by the dark tone, and it's still the lowest-grossing Star Wars movie, for what that's worth. I obviously wasn't around back then, but watching my Star Warses on VHS as a kid I went through the same journey I think most people did of chopping and changing which one was my favourite, until I finally landed on Empire. I don't know if TLJ will go through that same phenomenon, now that we're in the post-facts Black Mirror nightmare world that is the 2010s, where social media recommendation algorithms have doomed us all to our own internet echo chambers that no new thoughts can penetrate, but we'll see how it goes.

#1934 Florent

Florent

Poe Dayumeron

• Nova Member
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:51 PM

Occy it's true. All of it. 

It'll be interesting to see how this movie is remembered years down the line. On one hand it could be like ESB, not really appreciated at the time but looked back upon fondly as a turning point for "modern" media (for the record I don't think TLJ is at that level). On the other we could see ourselves living in the world that Metal Gear Solid 2 predicted where we just search out for the people that agree with us, start small single-minded communities, and ignore everything else that goes against our beliefs. Who knows. Maybe this movie will really show us just the scope of how dead public discourse has become. 

Spoiler

Also for the record, I welcome this adversity. If you didn't like the movie, I'm not trying to say you're wrong. It's actually pretty cool how we can all have drastically different interpretations of how this story went, and what the next chapter should be. I tend to align myself with Rian Johnson's approach and think this way of continuing the story is bold, unexpected, but welcome (teehee). FireRaven, Scorp/Wolfy(?), and any other lurkers who didn't like it: GREAT! I don't want everyone to agree. Please, share your thoughts. I'd love to read and ponder them. I might not agree, but I hope nobody feels that I disrespect what they're saying. Anything you guys've got to say is just as valid as my stuff. Nobody's ever going to be "right" about this. It's very subjective and just up to you how you feel. :)

#1935 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,710 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

I think it's amazing just how divisive this movie has been so far. Even knowing that Rian Johnson was kind of an out-there choice to helm a Star Wars movie and expecting him to get a little weird with it, I don't think anybody saw this reaction coming. The idea that some people are genuinely finding it worse than the Prequels is fascinating to me. Most of the discourse around TFA was just the same "It's a remake of ANH" arguments over and over again, which... I mean, there's not much you can say about it. They have the same story outline and you either care or you don't. But the reaction to The Last Jedi is digging right down into what people's fundamental view of what Star Wars is, and that's so much more interesting to argue about than Mary Sues and "at least the Prequels did something different"s.

btw, this is entirely unrelated, but writing about my eternal shining flame, bestest most favouritest movie ever, Empire Strikes Back, has me wondering just how that movie would have been received in this year of our lord 2017, where we all have our own platforms from which to stand and declare our one true truths about all things. How would we take the twist of Darth Vader being Luke's father, or Han Solo saying "I know" in response to a heartfelt "I love you"? Would 'Jedi Master Yoda' turning out to be a weird little goblin be condemned as, "Ugh, Disney humour in Star Wars"? Would people talk about how the space worm was a waste of time that adds nothing to the movie? Because, I mean, it doesn't. It's literally just ten minutes of the movie where our friends accidentally fly inside a space worm. I'm pretty sure the sum total of the screenwriting concept behind the space worm was "We need something for Han and Leia to do in between Hoth and Bespin, wouldn't it be fun if they flew inside a space worm?". Nobody learns any lessons or anything from the space worm debacle, but the thing is that it is super fun, and one of the most memorable bits in the whole movie. I think sometimes people forget that it's OK to goof it up a little in a silly space adventure every now and then; I'm certainly guilty of taking my Star Warses too seriously every now and then.

#1936 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:39 AM

My reasoning for putting it up there with ESB is how I feel it's gonna shape film in this Era of the Megafranchises. By now, most of the big established ones like MCU have begun falling into a pattern and expectations that flow in the wind like a tree.

And here TLJ comes along and just mercilessly destroys everything. There's no more real 'set feeling' for Star Wars anymore. Not really. This thing has cast doubt on these committee-dictated 'styles' forced upon movies as of late. And it'll be interesting to see how the wider industry reacts to one of the most visible IPs in the history of entertainment exploding perceptions of it so drastically.

PXwSeJy.png

#1937 Florent

Florent

Poe Dayumeron

• Nova Member
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:47 AM

Occy maybe it's the early hour of the morning and the one or two beverages, but your description of the space worm/asteroid chase and its relation to the plot of ESB almost made me cry. I love Star Wars. I love The Last Jedi.

:blush:

#1938 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,710 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:03 AM

If you'll forgive me a little more self-important navel-gazing...

I think just about all of us posting on the internet these days have grown up in an era where The Star Wars Trilogy already existed as 'one' package, y'know? It's like the difference between binge-watching a TV show and having to watch only one episode a week; for most of us it's only people our parents' age who actually lived as adults in a world where 'Star Wars' was the only Star Wars that existed until a dark sequel to it came out. Plenty of people out there in Internet Land were born into a world where there were already six Star Wars movies ready to be watched. I mean, I'm technically old enough that I lived through the Prequel era and saw them all one by one, but I was also a dumb kid who liked anything with a lightsabre in it. It's only now that I'm (mostly) an adult who's (mostly) past the stage of being excited by mere sights and sounds that it's my turn to experience a real "What if Star Wars wasn't actually the thing you thought" moment, if that makes sense.

So, yeah, it'll be fascinating to see just how this here Last Jedi drama explosion shakes out. We need to see where JJ goes with Episode IX, and where Disney goes with Star Wars in general. I don't expect this one movie to change the whole modern paradigm of cinematic universes and endless remakes, reboots and reimaginings (I honestly don't even dislike a good cinematic universe), but boy it's nice to have something so fresh and irreverent come along. We expected a pew pew Star War and instead Rian Johnson said "Yo, what if toxic masculinity perpetuated the military industrial complex?"

btw, can you imagine what Rian Johnson's standalone Star Wars trilogy is going to be like? Oh my God I can't wait to see those!

#1939 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 01:31 AM

So spoiler tag one

Spoiler

Spoiler tag two

Spoiler

PXwSeJy.png