–Woah. Overreaction. But seriously, that was, and still is, a very tangible threat. I bet there was just a little technical hiccup or something that day. Everything is fine now. Heh.
EDIT (again): There are more links to some non-halo machinima's after my post. So read the whole thing if you get the chance.
Machinima, for those of you who don't know, is a type of film that is made on virtually no budget, because players act out skits in multiplayer game universes like Halo. Voice-overs are often added, and they are actually immensely entertaining. I've been a fan since the start, and thought I'd share some of my thoughts with you guys. First, some fun facts! Machinima is a combination of "Machine," and "Cinema," for obvious reasons. It is growing wildly popular on youtube, as you may have noticed, and has also seen much attention nationally. NPR did a story about it recently, and mainstream movie companies like Pixar are looking into the "industry," because of it's endless possibilities and low cost to make them
Okay, I had written a huge list of great series and extensive descriptions of each, but my internet crapped out in the middle of writing, and I lost everything. So, here's a condensed version of that list. But first, let me clarify: most of the links are either from machinima.com or machinima's youtube account, since they have a sort of unfair monopoly on machinima releases. I'm not just trying to advertise for them. Also, these are exclusively Halo machinimas, since they tend to be the most popular and, in my opinions, better quality. I didn't want to go through the trouble of linking all the links, so just take a few seconds to copy and paste the links, please.
- Red vs Blue: The series that really made machinima. A MUST SEE. It starts out a little dull, but with zany characters, great voice acting, and a crazy storyline, it's awesome. The series will continue soon, so now is a great time to catch up on thw first 5 seasons. Back when they were regularly updated, each new episode recieved thousands of hits every day. (http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/) (The first 4 seasons are on machinima.com)
- The Codex Series / The Heretic Series (prequel): Insanely intense serious war drama, with massive, pulse-pounding battle scenes in space and on the ground, this is a wicked entertaining and addictive saga. (http://www.thecodexseries.com/ew/) (They have a podcast on iTunes, search for it)
- Frequency Short Film: Great editing and a funny, satirical look on popular culture, it's a classic. ()
- Master Chief Sucks at Halo / Arby 'N The Chief (sequel series): Very popular nowadays, Digitalph33r, the creator, started these very original episodes, using a Master chief action figure as well as in-game skits to act out highly amusing situations. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2A495FEAC8080F3F) and (Search for episodes 1,2, and 3 of MCSH on youtube)
- Deus ex Machina: Also by Digitalph33r, this serious superhero drama, while a bit cliche, is seriously awesome. Awaiting it's finale in May, this is the perfect time to catch up on the storyline. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=964663C8E03C423C)
- Matchmaking Series: A new series, by new promising new machinimakers Darkspire Films, follow the adventures of John, Travis, and... I forget the last one, through the foreign world of Halo 3 Matchmaking. Very entertaining. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4279FFBEFDB25377&page=2)
- Pre-game Lobby Series: With only two episodes so far, this series has just taken off, and has buttloads of potential. With a very original spin on sitcoms, I highly recommend it. (), () and ()
- Inside Halo News Show: Wickedly entertaining and informatitive, it's a good idea to follow this one since it's updated weekly. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5BF2A73F48D89314)
If you have any others to add, feel free to comment here! They don't have to be in Halo, they can be in World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4, The Sims, or any other machinima platform. Just contribute!
EDIT: And how could I forget, THE LEET WORLD! By far my favorite machinima, it's ongoing as of April 21st, and is hilarious. It's based in Counter Strike, and is probably going to become the next Red vs. Blue. LINKY: http://www.theleetworld.com/
Edited by Toughluck, 05 May 2008 - 09:01 AM.