Machinima Series...'s

• Please log in to reply
313 replies to this topic

#1 Toughluck

Toughluck

"I do not wish to expiate, but to live."

• 247 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

UBER MUST READ EDIT: As of April 28, Machinima appears to be under attack by what we can only assume is a massive, crippling lawsuit by Microsoft and other major gaming companies. Read my post on the second page for details.
–Woah. Overreaction. But seriously, that was, and still is, a very tangible threat. I bet there was just a little technical hiccup or something that day. Everything is fine now. Heh.

EDIT (again): There are more links to some non-halo machinima's after my post. So read the whole thing if you get the chance.

Machinima, for those of you who don't know, is a type of film that is made on virtually no budget, because players act out skits in multiplayer game universes like Halo. Voice-overs are often added, and they are actually immensely entertaining. I've been a fan since the start, and thought I'd share some of my thoughts with you guys. First, some fun facts! Machinima is a combination of "Machine," and "Cinema," for obvious reasons. It is growing wildly popular on youtube, as you may have noticed, and has also seen much attention nationally. NPR did a story about it recently, and mainstream movie companies like Pixar are looking into the "industry," because of it's endless possibilities and low cost to make them

Okay, I had written a huge list of great series and extensive descriptions of each, but my internet crapped out in the middle of writing, and I lost everything. So, here's a condensed version of that list. But first, let me clarify: most of the links are either from machinima.com or machinima's youtube account, since they have a sort of unfair monopoly on machinima releases. I'm not just trying to advertise for them. Also, these are exclusively Halo machinimas, since they tend to be the most popular and, in my opinions, better quality. I didn't want to go through the trouble of linking all the links, so just take a few seconds to copy and paste the links, please.

- Red vs Blue: The series that really made machinima. A MUST SEE. It starts out a little dull, but with zany characters, great voice acting, and a crazy storyline, it's awesome. The series will continue soon, so now is a great time to catch up on thw first 5 seasons. Back when they were regularly updated, each new episode recieved thousands of hits every day. (http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/) (The first 4 seasons are on machinima.com)

- The Codex Series / The Heretic Series (prequel): Insanely intense serious war drama, with massive, pulse-pounding battle scenes in space and on the ground, this is a wicked entertaining and addictive saga. (http://www.thecodexseries.com/ew/) (They have a podcast on iTunes, search for it)

- Frequency Short Film: Great editing and a funny, satirical look on popular culture, it's a classic. ()

- Master Chief Sucks at Halo / Arby 'N The Chief (sequel series): Very popular nowadays, Digitalph33r, the creator, started these very original episodes, using a Master chief action figure as well as in-game skits to act out highly amusing situations. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2A495FEAC8080F3F) and (Search for episodes 1,2, and 3 of MCSH on youtube)

- Deus ex Machina: Also by Digitalph33r, this serious superhero drama, while a bit cliche, is seriously awesome. Awaiting it's finale in May, this is the perfect time to catch up on the storyline. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=964663C8E03C423C)

- Matchmaking Series: A new series, by new promising new machinimakers Darkspire Films, follow the adventures of John, Travis, and... I forget the last one, through the foreign world of Halo 3 Matchmaking. Very entertaining. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4279FFBEFDB25377&page=2)

- Pre-game Lobby Series: With only two episodes so far, this series has just taken off, and has buttloads of potential. With a very original spin on sitcoms, I highly recommend it. (), () and ()

- Inside Halo News Show: Wickedly entertaining and informatitive, it's a good idea to follow this one since it's updated weekly. (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5BF2A73F48D89314)

If you have any others to add, feel free to comment here! They don't have to be in Halo, they can be in World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4, The Sims, or any other machinima platform. Just contribute!

EDIT: And how could I forget, THE LEET WORLD! By far my favorite machinima, it's ongoing as of April 21st, and is hilarious. It's based in Counter Strike, and is probably going to become the next Red vs. Blue. LINKY: http://www.theleetworld.com/

Edited by Toughluck, 05 May 2008 - 09:01 AM.

#2 Evil Eye Guy

Evil Eye Guy

Too legit to quit

• 1,537 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

Chuck Norris, in OBLIVION!

In a world built sky-scraper over slum; the city is about to go UNDER

|D i v i s i o N|

A Cyberpunk Text-Adventure

#3 Nirdian

Nirdian

Let there be WAR!

• Banned
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

MAN! THAT IS A LOT OF MACHINIMA!!! jawdrop.gif
Bluergh...

#4 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

I love "Arby and the Chief Episode 7: Girls".
"You have nice hair.... I mean *******".

#5 Toughluck

Toughluck

• 247 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Evil Eye Guy @ Apr 21 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah! I actually saw one episode of it when I was in China for some reason... I had totally forgotten about it. I have vacation this week, so I'll probably catch up on the rest of them.

#6 Exan

Exan

Freaking Middle-Aged Guy

• 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Toughluck @ Apr 21 2008, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, these are exclusively Halo machinimas, since they tend to be the most popular and, in my opinions, better quality.

Pfft, Retaliation is way better than any Halo machinima. it also doesn't have a bunch of idiots in huge, colorful armor.

Well if you play like me, running around in Hardcore looking for the absurd amount of snipers who are too stupid to put down claymores even though there is no UAV so they'd never see me coming, then running up behind them screaming NOM NOM NOM into the mic for about half a minute until they get UAV and turn around looking for some no scope loving at which point I deny them and wank off a round of hot lead into their mouths from 4 inches away with stopping power, then teabag their body until they are stupid enough to come back to the same spot and the process repeats.

#7 Toughluck

Toughluck

• 247 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Exan @ Apr 22 2008, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pfft, Retaliation is way better than any Halo machinima. it also doesn't have a bunch of idiots in huge, colorful armor.

Retaliation is off to a strong start, with really proffessional camera work, but in my opinion, the voice acting is generic and hard to follow and understand. It has a great plot, but I thought Episode 1 was much stronger than Episode 2. Certainly a good addition to to Machinima.

Just to point something out – not all Halo machinima is about stupid characters. Crap films like that are made by n00bs, which, because of the theater mode in halo 3, can now easily make. However, the same reason why there are so many n00bie machinimakers in Halo also makes it possible for otherwise unlikely aspiring machinimakers to make quality new films.

#8 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

Look up Portal: A Day in the Life of a Turret. Probably one of my favorites.
"Turret 1: Well at least this day can't get any worse." *Portal into the furnace opens up below them*
"Turret 2: You just had to open your mouth!"
"Both: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH."

#9 Veloranen

Veloranen

I came out of Lurkdom for this?

• 675 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

If you're a WoW fan, look for Illegal Danish Super Snacks on Youtube. Easily the best WoW Machinima.
"ARCANITE REAPER, HOOOOO!"

Edited by Veloranen, 23 April 2008 - 12:34 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

Yeah, I was going to link to Retaliation but Exan bet me to it. That's really the only one I like.

http://threemileisland.forumotion.org/

http://enfiladedefilade.blogspot.com/

#11 Chad

Chad

fallout 4 hype train, choo choo

• 449 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

I can't really get into serious machinimas...they just seem so corny.

WHERE MY XBROS AT

Phae is still my wifey for lifey

#12 Toughluck

Toughluck

• 247 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Blade-Angel @ Apr 23 2008, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look up Portal: A Day in the Life of a Turret. Probably one of my favorites.

Yeah, that's a goodie. It's also by Smooth Few Films, the same guys who did The Leet World, which again, is totally awesome.

Retaliation has been getting a lot of attention on the interwebs lately, what with Machinima's youtube account massively advertising the releases of the next episodes. It's a great series with a lot of potential. Props to Sgt. Padrino. Here are some of his earlier COD4 films, in case you didn't know about them:

Anathema

War Pig

And if you like that type of film, check this out:

Chase at Fushe

#13 Red-Alchemist

Red-Alchemist

Very Attractive

• 37 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

Arby 'n The Chief= AWESOME
Matchmakers=AWESOME
Red vs. Blue=OK
Deus Ex Machina=GOOD BUT NOT MY FAV.

#14 Archon

Archon

Sith'ari

• Nova Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:37 AM

Digital Ph33r is awesome. I love Deus Ex Machina!

Posted Image
Gamertag: Archonize

#15 Anasazi!

Anasazi!

FIRE IS MOTION. WORK IS REPITITION.

• 566 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (Red-Alchemist @ Apr 24 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Arby 'n The Chief= AWESOME
Matchmakers=AWESOME
Red vs. Blue=OK <------------------------------------------------
Deus Ex Machina=GOOD BUT NOT MY FAV.

WHAt?!?!?
Dude, RVB is better than/equal to most machinimas, digitalph33rs are equal, but seriously, your mind is clouded, and I can't find "Matchmakers" anywhere.

Edited by Anasazi, 25 April 2008 - 02:06 PM.

Cap'n Jazz & Tera Melos are the best bands ever ever.

#16 Toughluck

Toughluck

• 247 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Anasazi @ Apr 26 2008, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't find "Matchmakers" anywhere.

Here's the Youtube Playlist

#17 bradbad94

bradbad94

Bradley

• 44 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:43 AM

I like Deus Ex Machina
Master Chief sucks at yadda yadda yadda
Arby and the Chief.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#18 Nirdian

Nirdian

Let there be WAR!

• Banned
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Anasazi @ Apr 26 2008, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't find "Matchmakers" anywhere.

That's because it's Matchmaking, not Matchmakers.
Bluergh...

#19 D-man

D-man

A soldier follows orders, a warrior follows his heart.

• 1,296 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:34 AM

Machinima.com youtube has been deleted and they shut down their website, so no more Arby n' Chief.

tumblr_mlmz00PsPA1qbz8aro1_250.gif

Dracarys

#20 Evil Eye Guy

Evil Eye Guy

Too legit to quit

• 1,537 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (Sangheili @ Apr 28 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Machinima.com youtube has been deleted and they shut down their website, so no more Arby n' Chief.

No, Digital Ph33r is independent of Machinima, he'll continue to make the videos I believe.

In a world built sky-scraper over slum; the city is about to go UNDER

|D i v i s i o N|

A Cyberpunk Text-Adventure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users