#21 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

Pronounced Jo-siv-ah Flh-call. He is a ninja. 0.0

• Nova Member
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

I just want them to make a LEGO creeper. :P

serenitysig.png

Click the Picture, you know you want to ;)

#22 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

I just want them to make a LEGO creeper. :P

Only if it contains real explosives.

Actually, going back on what I said earlier, I do see some point in the LEGO Minecraft line: minifigs. Cows, Pigs, Chickens, Creepers, Steve, Zombies, Ghasts, Blazes, Endermen, Enderdragons, Squids, Skeletons and Notch would all be pretty cool minifigs. But consider this, the only image I've seen of the new line only shows scenery. It may be that LEGO have underestimated the whole point of Minecraft and are only doing blocks, instead of the creatures and characters that really make the game enjoyable.

So maybe the only drawing factor of this new line ends up to be non-existent or really bad. You can call me a pessimist, but I'm not going to get my hopes up until I see some real evidence of good-looking Creepers. In which case I will eat my hat*.

*Terms and conditions may or may not apply. I may or may not have a hat which I can eat, and I may or may not lie about the occurrence in any of the posts I make.

~ Golden-Star

#23 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

Those images aren't Lego's. Those are examples posted by the voters, for Lego to make a set with that many pieces would be outrageously expensive.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#24 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

Pronounced Jo-siv-ah Flh-call. He is a ninja. 0.0

• Nova Member
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Exactly.

The whole thing with this is people making sets that they think should be made official.

But how will LEGO pull off the pieces? With printed decals, or no detail at all?

serenitysig.png

Click the Picture, you know you want to ;)

#25 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:46 AM

POPULAR

I'm trying to compose a reply to the suggestion that LEGO is somehow less creative than Minecraft, but my brain can't seem to even parse such an outrageous statement.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#26 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:02 AM

I'm trying to compose a reply to the suggestion that LEGO is somehow less creative than Minecraft, but my brain can't seem to even parse such an outrageous statement.

Really? I am genuinely surprised that anybody (especially you) should hold that opinion. Oh well, I can tell that in this situation neither of us is likely to convince the other our viewpoints are right. So I'll have to just satisfy myself with a Posted Image.

~ Golden-Star

#27 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:28 AM

I am not saying that Minecraft is not creative. Of course it is. And of course, as a video game, its interactive nature gives it certain qualities a LEGO set cannot have, like AI enemies and explosions, and fire and water and so on.

But as far as the actual building aspect is concerned, no matter how much time you spend combining different materials in Minecraft, the result is always a cube. When you build something in Minecraft, you are stacking up cubes. It's like building a LEGO set with nothing but 2x2 bricks, and those bricks can only be attached on top of each other or side-by-side.

Actual LEGO pieces come in a far, far wider variety of shapes and can be attached in a far wider variety of ways. That's to say nothing of hinges, Technic parts, and other, more complex techniques that AFOLs have come up with over the years. Hence why a complex object built in Minecraft looks far more primitive than the same object built out of LEGO bricks.

For example:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Not trying to start an argument - as I said, Minecraft has other merits - but I feel the need to defend the creativity of the LEGO system. ;)

Of course, if you were referring to the Minecraft-branded LEGO sets and those sets only, then I apologize for misunderstanding you. Your post seemed to have a broader implication than that.

(LEGO X-wing by Psiaki)

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#28 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:05 AM

Vhat. Ze. Crapz. I personally don't see anything interesting in minecraft itself, and thus see no reason why this is any more interesting.

#29 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:13 AM

Someone still needs to tell me just what exactly Minecraft is. The logic of a seemingly LEGO-based game being turned into a LEGO line is... funny.

But I guess I need to look into Minecraft more.

#30 Golden-Star

Golden-Star

Master Procrastinator

• Nova Member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

Of course, if you were referring to the Minecraft-branded LEGO sets and those sets only, then I apologize for misunderstanding you. Your post seemed to have a broader implication than that.

No, sorry for not being specific.

I understand the merits of LEGO when compared with Minecraft, I just honestly do not see the merit of combining the two. I agree with what you were saying about creativity in the wider LEGO world, but a LEGO Minecraft set with more variety in blocks than Minecraft wouldn't represent Minecraft well and, at least in my mind, would no longer count as truly LEGO Minecraft.

So if LEGO Minecraft is going to be true to the functions of Minecraft, then it will never be as creative as the original game. But if LEGO Minecraft isn't true to the functions of Minecraft, then it isn't LEGO Minecraft anymore; it's LEGO inspired by Minecraft.

@Lighting Bolt: Minecraft is truly worth buying. When you compare the money it costs to the possible playing hours you can get out of it, then it's like having someone hand you a gold-plated mansion on an island in the south-pacific, plus an all-you-can-eat buffet of champagne and oysters. Ok, that made no sense, but just buy it anyway.

~ Golden-Star

#31 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

This is one the dumbest ideas I've heard in a long time. Thank you internet for making dumb things popular. /sarcasm

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#32 Freeloh

Freeloh

Good thing the Restoration made this tech so easy to use!

• 256 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

I'd imagine it could be pretty good if done right. I imagine Lego will be smarter than "2x2 bricks with a Minecraft logo on the box." Seriously, blocky caves full of creepers with unique molded pickaxes could be pretty darn cool. Lego would definitely take advantage of what distances Minecraft from ordinary Lego and use that to make it better. Plus, I imagine they'll make some collectible sets, akin to Michael Thomas's giant block and shovel. Perhaps bricks that can attach to the sides of other bricks? Or printed bricks? Or big collections of various tiles included in each set to flatten the tops? It has a lot of potential, if they don't screw up. I'm optimistic. I'll still shell out for a few if (I say if- it's still in the reviewing department, so nothing is guaranteed, though I doubt they'd pass up on something like this) it happens, but unless they're good or just plain cool, I'll pass on some of them. Right now there's really nothing to argue about until we see what happens.

EDIT: Also, I'll be the first to say that at least one set will have some sort of explosion play feature. It seems like something Lego would do. :P

Edited by Freeloh, 07 December 2011 - 10:59 PM.

Posted Image
Click the image to see my art topic!

#33 Florent

Florent

Ocelot has liked a post you made in the E3 topic

• Nova Member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

I'd imagine it could be pretty good if done right. I imagine Lego will be smarter than "2x2 bricks with a Minecraft logo on the box." Seriously, blocky caves full of creepers with unique molded pickaxes could be pretty darn cool. Lego would definitely take advantage of what distances Minecraft from ordinary Lego and use that to make it better. Plus, I imagine they'll make some collectible sets, akin to Michael Thomas's giant block and shovel. Perhaps bricks that can attach to the sides of other bricks? Or printed bricks? Or big collections of various tiles included in each set to flatten the tops? It has a lot of potential, if they don't screw up. I'm optimistic. I'll still shell out for a few if (I say if- it's still in the reviewing department, so nothing is guaranteed, though I doubt they'd pass up on something like this) it happens, but unless they're good or just plain cool, I'll pass on some of them. Right now there's really nothing to argue about until we see what happens.

EDIT: Also, I'll be the first to say that at least one set will have some sort of explosion play feature. It seems like something Lego would do. :P

Freeloh's got the right idea.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. I'm excited for them myself. If you don't care for them, then stop complaining about them :P

I don't complain about the new "Alien invasion" line, even though I hate the very idea of it.

ezgif-2-8ff8fb9d1c.gif

#34 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:41 AM

I don't complain about the new "Alien invasion" line, even though I hate the very idea of it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#35 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Really? The Alien Invasion line is awesome. Especially compared to a Minecraft LEGO prospect.
Old timer

#36 Kreoss

Kreoss

Where now are the horse and the rider?

• Nova Member
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

It's not a bad line at all. It just has rare purple pieces, awesome clear visors, and some pretty good other parts too. Don't be hatin'

Posted Image
Coming eventually to a Brick Theater near you!

#37 orangefanta

orangefanta

• 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

This is one of my favorite games right now. I would have never thought to connect Minecraft and LEGO even though they're so similar!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
LEGO Star Wars 2012 - Fan Blog!

#38 CaptainBoat117

CaptainBoat117

Official Dutter

• 295 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

It is pretty pointless to make Lego minecraft in my opinion. I don't see why they'd make something out of Lego that looks like Lego. Then again, it's not Lego's fault. Mojang, or what ever it is, got 10,000 supporters on Cooso. Lego might even say no because of it's pointlessness. If something on Cuusoo should succeed, it should be reviving bionicle! Sorry off topic.

"You've got to play the drum like you're about to stab a guy."

#39 Burngirl

Burngirl

You are clear for takeoff.

• Nova Member
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:24 AM

When I first saw my family playing Minecraft I seriously thought it was something from Lego. When I first thought Lego was making Minecraft sets, I was like, "Oh my gosh! This is so cool."

I have to say that both are very very similar when it comes to comparing Creative Mode on Peaceful and Lego. The difference is the beautiful scenery that Minecraft offers.

I would love to see Lego take an opportunity to make Minecraft into Lego. I could see them doing it and making money off of that product.

Edited by Burngirl, 01 January 2012 - 05:25 AM.

Posted Image

Photograph by me, editions made in Paint.net

Click the picture if you want to see my photography collection.

#40 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Apparently this is seriously going to happen.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Minecraft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users