• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 old-altair

old-altair

that dude

• Nova Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

I've been a bit... active on SSLF, what with all of my topics being created. I just wanted to start a discussion about the state of LEGO today, and how it's been declining AND uprising. We can also discuss how LEGO can fix the bad things. Feel free to voice your opinion however you want. Ok, let's start.

LEGO's been a bit Bad lately. They've been phasing out and "installing" new sets for a while. My beloved LEGO has become a crap-load of Star Wars sets. That's it.  :cry: Honestly, they need to get their act together, remake some sets (Wild West. Please.), and make some original ideas before their contract with Star Wars runs out in 2014. Although, they might strike a deal and make Episode VII-IX sets, but if they make it like they are now, it'll be terrible. Got it?  :thumbsup:

Other than that, I'll let you guys run with this.  :smug: Awright? Great.

"EXTERMINATE!"

-Dalek Extra #18302

#2 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

I don't mind the influx of Star Wars sets. Granted many are just repeats but they have found a very profitable license and they're going to milk i for all it's worth. And better still, when the new Star Wars comes out they'll probably go and renew their license again for even more sets.

Overall, with the economy (finally) on the rise again we'll see LEGO picking up some speed. With the crash a lot of luxury items (including LEGO) took a hit and went into a little decline. With everything coming back up hopefully we'll see LEGO increase their variety past Chima and licensed movies.

Currently, from working with LEGOs as a job, when we do our birthday parties and offer themes it's been a toss up between City, Ninjago, and Star Wars (though many have requested Chima). So only 1 licensed theme versus the 3 LEGO-designed themes. To me this is a good indicator that LEGO is making profits in the areas they want to be (they're own stuff) but still making a very nice cut from their Star Wars license.

What I would really like to see from LEGO would be more LotR sets, especially with the new Hobbit rolling out. Wild West would be nice but right now kids are not looking for that: We're in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy period where everything has to be something different and out of this world or somehow magical (Read: Star Wars and Chima/Ninjago). So I doubt we'll see a major push into the Wild West zone any time soon (The new Lone Ranger line is them feeling it out).

Anyways, I think is on the up and up and are providing a good range of sets for the current age groups they are targeting. They still try to appeal to us AFoL with Lone Ranger and Lord of the Rings. Granted it's not fantastic for us, but they are not getting as much profit from us as they can fro kids so they'll prefer to target them over us any day.

Posted Image

#3 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

POPULAR

AFOLs, I stand before you this day to address the State of Lego today.

Lego has entered a new era. The hardy AFOL people have stood firm in spite of the most tumultuous times in Lego history. We survived the great color shifts, as our browns and greys suddenly shifted, unprovoked, to slightly different browns and greys. We survived not one, but two horrendous Knights Kingdom lines, lines which tarnished the great name of Castle with horrendous set design, obnoxious color schemes, and a jousting set that replaced horses with slam-karts, and weird rubber swords. Perhaps greatest of all of Lego's past offenses, we remained steadfast in the face of the unimaginable horror that was Time Cruisers. My God, what the hell was that?

d4e4o5g414j3y404s2d4u2s234q2r2h4v5f40423

Though in our triumph we must take care not to forget those who have fallen as time has marched on. We remember Johnny Thunder, and his prolific Adventurers line, brought to an unfortunate end by movie license sets. We remember the Bionicles, their long legacy brought to a sudden end by... well, Bionicles. The brave men and women of the Alpha Team are also among the fallen, but as with the others, they will never be the forgotten.

But in their place, new lines have arisen, as is the way of Lego, and the AFOL people have been quick to rally to them in support. Lord of the Rings, Super Heroes, and Spongebob have all shown us that not only are licensed lines increasing in quantity massively, but happily increasing in quality as well, meaning that even though they may cause certain official Lego themes to fade out of necessity (as with the recent string of highly unstable Castle lines), their absence is not nearly as painful (as with Indiana Jones' slaughtering of the Adventurers).

Along with these new lines has come the advent of Cuusoo, a site allowing the AFOLs direct access to the Lego design process. Yes, no more do we need to fear going through our lives without officially designed Lego sets of a computer game about blocks, a Japanese spacecraft, or a college mascot. The power is in our hands to make the things we truly want, using our superior collective intellect to make sets that truly need to happen, bypassing the normally uncertain processes of old. A single link from Twitter and your My Little Pony garden is instantly pushed to the top, catching the eyes of Lego's designers and marketers. An idea need not pass the review stage to succeed in its goal.

In the future I predict that there will be further leanings towards licensed lines and products. Licensed lines have always taken priority over their similar "official" counterparts, such as Lord of the Rings over Castle, Star Wars over Space (in shifts), or Lone Ranger over Western, and I do not see that pattern ever changing. This fact, combined with Cuusoo giving people the power to push in licensed sets by popular vote (An already established theme such as Firefly, Back to the Future, or any of the hundreds of video games getting hyped at the moment is going to win out over any original ideas 9 times out of 10, simply because of their fanbase) means that themes will likely be getting smaller in terms of set range as well, as the littler sets from Cuusoo can fill the space normally reserved for the major licenses.

I firmly believe that while the future may be wholly alien in this new generation, the AFOL people will prevail over any new hardships that may arise, and adapt to the situation as they have for over 60 years. Good night, and God bless the AFOLs.

Patriotic%20Eagle.jpg

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#4 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

... *sniff* ...

That was a beautiful post.

Honestly I don't think Lego's declining at all recently. They've been adding a ton of new molds and colors (and new colors of old molds), and the licensed sets aren't an issue to me at all. For as long as I can remember, LotR sets have been a dream- seemingly impossible- and now they've come. Not to mention Super Heroes! Best. Line. Ever. What kid hasn't wanted super-powers at some point?

#5 old-altair

old-altair

that dude

• Nova Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

And better still, when the new Star Wars comes out they'll probably go and renew their license again for even more sets.

Overall, with the economy (finally) on the rise again we'll see LEGO picking up some speed. With the crash a lot of luxury items (including LEGO) took a hit and went into a little decline. With everything coming back up hopefully we'll see LEGO increase their variety past Chima and licensed movies.

Currently, from working with LEGOs as a job, when we do our birthday parties and offer themes it's been a toss up between City, Ninjago, and Star Wars (though many have requested Chima). So only 1 licensed theme versus the 3 LEGO-designed themes. To me this is a good indicator that LEGO is making profits in the areas they want to be (they're own stuff) but still making a very nice cut from their Star Wars license.

What I would really like to see from LEGO would be more LotR sets, especially with the new Hobbit rolling out. Wild West would be nice but right now kids are not looking for that: We're in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy period where everything has to be something different and out of this world or somehow magical (Read: Star Wars and Chima/Ninjago). So I doubt we'll see a major push into the Wild West zone any time soon (The new Lone Ranger line is them feeling it out).

Anyways, I think is on the up and up and are providing a good range of sets for the current age groups they are targeting. They still try to appeal to us AFoL with Lone Ranger and Lord of the Rings. Granted it's not fantastic for us, but they are not getting as much profit from us as they can fro kids so they'll prefer to target them over us any day.

I hope there's more Star Wars sets past 2014, because then they could remake some OLDER sets (Podracers anyone?). 

Like the toss-up you talked about. A couple of years ago, around Revenge of the Sith release time, that was all they focused on. I was like, "Meh. I love Star Wars, but City's a bit better."

Lord of the Rings and Lone Ranger are a huge leap up for them. Same with the Marvel sets, but I won't get any of those. I'm a Batman guy.  B)

AFOLs, I stand before you this day to address the State of Lego today.

Lego has entered a new era. The hardy AFOL people have stood firm in spite of the most tumultuous times in Lego history. We survived the great color shifts, as our browns and greys suddenly shifted, unprovoked, to slightly different browns and greys. We survived not one, but two horrendous Knights Kingdom lines, lines which tarnished the great name of Castle with horrendous set design, obnoxious color schemes, and a jousting set that replaced horses with slam-karts, and weird rubber swords. Perhaps greatest of all of Lego's past offenses, we remained steadfast in the face of the unimaginable horror that was Time Cruisers. My God, what the hell was that?

Though in our triumph we must take care not to forget those who have fallen as time has marched on. We remember Johnny Thunder, and his prolific Adventurers line, brought to an unfortunate end by movie license sets. We remember the Bionicles, their long legacy brought to a sudden end by... well, Bionicles. The brave men and women of the Alpha Team are also among the fallen, but as with the others, they will never be the forgotten.

But in their place, new lines have arisen, as is the way of Lego, and the AFOL people have been quick to rally to them in support. Lord of the Rings, Super Heroes, and Spongebob have all shown us that not only are licensed lines increasing in quantity massively, but happily increasing in quality as well, meaning that even though they may cause certain official Lego themes to fade out of necessity (as with the recent string of highly unstable Castle lines), their absence is not nearly as painful (as with Indiana Jones' slaughtering of the Adventurers).

Along with these new lines has come the advent of Cuusoo, a site allowing the AFOLs direct access to the Lego design process. Yes, no more do we need to fear going through our lives without officially designed Lego sets of a computer game about blocks, a Japanese spacecraft, or a college mascot. The power is in our hands to make the things we truly want, using our superior collective intellect to make sets that truly need to happen, bypassing the normally uncertain processes of old. A single link from Twitter and your My Little Pony garden is instantly pushed to the top, catching the eyes of Lego's designers and marketers. An idea need not pass the review stage to succeed in its goal.

In the future I predict that there will be further leanings towards licensed lines and products. Licensed lines have always taken priority over their similar "official" counterparts, such as Lord of the Rings over Castle, Star Wars over Space (in shifts), or Lone Ranger over Western, and I do not see that pattern ever changing. This fact, combined with Cuusoo giving people the power to push in licensed sets by popular vote (An already established theme such as Firefly, Back to the Future, or any of the hundreds of video games getting hyped at the moment is going to win out over any original ideas 9 times out of 10, simply because of their fanbase) means that themes will likely be getting smaller in terms of set range as well, as the littler sets from Cuusoo can fill the space normally reserved for the major licenses.

I firmly believe that while the future may be wholly alien in this new generation, the AFOL people will prevail over any new hardships that may arise, and adapt to the situation as they have for over 60 years. Good night, and God bless the AFOLs.

Heh. Time Cruisers looks stupid.  :shrug:

That was beautiful.

Silliness aside, you had some really great points. Why was Bionicle stopped anyway? They took an awesome line and replaced it with basically the same thing, except with robots (see Hero Factory), and now are phasing that out also. But, they are making that alien takeover thing for it. Meh.

Indiana Jones was completely unnecessary. This proves LEGO can't stand up to it's own rules. They have people fighting people, which they vowed against.

Finally, we come to this. LEGO, do some *REDACTED* video games. Do Halo, as you've basically done with that Space line. Do some Left 4 Dead, I don't care. Just do some video games!  :ranting:  Good night to you, Dood von Doodstormer.

... *sniff* ...

That was a beautiful post.

Honestly I don't think Lego's declining at all recently. They've been adding a ton of new molds and colors (and new colors of old molds), and the licensed sets aren't an issue to me at all. For as long as I can remember, LotR sets have been a dream- seemingly impossible- and now they've come. Not to mention Super Heroes! Best. Line. Ever. What kid hasn't wanted super-powers at some point?

I haven't.  :P  I've always been either Batman, a Jedi, or a mix of the two. LotR is a dream come true. That Helm's Deep. So awesome.

Overall I think you guys have changed my mind. Although, what is Chima anyway? Why can the animals talk? On the TV show, did that old lion guy call his son "Dude?"  :ranting: Sorry about that. Just some rambling.

"EXTERMINATE!"

-Dalek Extra #18302

#6 Flying Ace

Flying Ace

BWAH!

• Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

Overall I think you guys have changed my mind. Although, what is Chima anyway? Why can the animals talk? On the TV show, did that old lion guy call his son "Dude?"  :ranting: Sorry about that. Just some rambling.

You would be amazed how many people call their kids "Dude" these days...

It's a Fantasy world where animals are divided by race and have their own kingdoms. They battle over magical blue stuff called Chi (hence Chima). It's has major influence from the old TV series Thunder Cats. Animals talking in a fantasy universe is fine with me, it's set in a magical world and every race has it's own weapons and vehicles based off of themselves (Lions have tanks that look like Lions, Guerrilla Walkers, Crocodile Boats, Eagle planes, etc...).

I'm very keen on seeing how well it does as that could mean more business for my company and even look into getting some of the sets myself.

Posted Image

#7 old-altair

old-altair

that dude

• Nova Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:49 AM

You would be amazed how many people call their kids "Dude" these days...

It's a Fantasy world where animals are divided by race and have their own kingdoms. They battle over magical blue stuff called Chi (hence Chima). It's has major influence from the old TV series Thunder Cats. Animals talking in a fantasy universe is fine with me, it's set in a magical world and every race has it's own weapons and vehicles based off of themselves (Lions have tanks that look like Lions, Guerrilla Walkers, Crocodile Boats, Eagle planes, etc...).

I'm very keen on seeing how well it does as that could mean more business for my company and even look into getting some of the sets myself.

Chima looks pretty cool actually. Maybe because of the wolves, I don't really know. 

"EXTERMINATE!"

-Dalek Extra #18302

#8 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:55 AM

Someone posted a thread very similar to this last year - There were some good responses there, especially the first reply by Grombrindal - you might want to check it out: http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9116  :)

My response is there too. Basically I think LEGO has been on the incline rather than decline for over a decade now, though they've admittedly stumbled now and then. And as sick as I am of Star Wars sets, I do wish the ones I bought as a kid had been as good as the modern remakes. I'm always sorely tempted to blow my money on the new Old Trilogy sets for nostalgia's sake, like the Endor bunker and Hoth base and Jabba's Palace...

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#9 Florent

Florent

Ocelot has liked a post you made in the E3 topic

• Nova Member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Legend of... Chima? What?

ezgif-2-8ff8fb9d1c.gif

#10 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

I just really wish they would bring back Johnny Thunder and Rock Raiders as proper reboots rather than Indiana Jones and that terrible mining line they had going for half a year. Those two were my absolute favorite right next to Star Wars and ResQ. I mean LEGO was sooo cool back in the day when they did their comics and dioramas, they looked so awesome and authentic and now they don't do anything anymore. I'll have to find a diorama and scan it so everyone knows what I'm talking about.

Old timer

#11 cheeso194

cheeso194

Corporal

• Nova Member
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

Heh. Time Cruisers looks stupid.  :shrug:

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

I DO NEAT THINGS WITH COMICS

Cheeso's One Offs and Pilots

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9064

#12 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

1. I hope there's more Star Wars sets past 2014, because then they could remake some OLDER sets (Podracers anyone?). 

2. Why was Bionicle stopped anyway?

3. Indiana Jones was completely unnecessary. This proves LEGO can't stand up to it's own rules. They have people fighting people, which they vowed against.

4. I've always been either Batman, a Jedi, or a mix of the two.

1. They made a new Podracer set about a year ago. I wouldn't call that 'older'.]

2. Bionicle killed itself. The original universe was awesome, but it digressed over time.

3. Indiana Jones broke the no people-fighting-people rule? Right. Because no other Lego theme has ever had that... (Star Wars, Chima, just about any non-Town/City line.)

4. Batman's money/gadgets count as a super-power, as does the force.

Edited by Spider-man, 20 April 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#13 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Just to add, I haven't bought any lego in years. If, however, Johnny Thunder or Rock Raiders was rebooted...

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#14 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Someone posted a thread very similar to this last year - There were some good responses there, especially the first reply by Grombrindal - you might want to check it out: http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9116  :)

My response is there too. Basically I think LEGO has been on the incline rather than decline for over a decade now, though they've admittedly stumbled now and then. And as sick as I am of Star Wars sets, I do wish the ones I bought as a kid had been as good as the modern remakes. I'm always sorely tempted to blow my money on the new Old Trilogy sets for nostalgia's sake, like the Endor bunker and Hoth base and Jabba's Palace...

As a man who wants to walk around in public wearing Sith robes, I must agree with Scorp on this one. :( The star wars has been quite over done, although the Old Republic sets look promising. However, what I want to know though is why they had to change the mandolorian helmets, as I love the old Boba and Jango ones so much more.

Also if you want the new jabba's palace set, I'd pick it up soon, its being discontinued as some turkish muslims found it offensive: Story

mudkip.png

#15 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,906 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Also if you want the new jabba's palace set, I'd pick it up soon, its being discontinued as some turkish muslims found it offensive: Story

Actually the set is not being discontinued for that reason - that was just confusion on the part of the press. It's just going out of production as LEGO sets always do, to make room for new ones. LEGO says they did not modify or retire the set in response to the controversy: http://www.huffingto..._n_3012827.html

And yeah, the Old Republic sets are pretty cool. I picked up the Fury-class Interceptor on sale a while back, and it's really well-designed. There's supposed to be a Jedi Defender coming out later this year; I hope that's true.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#16 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wait, LEGO SWToR? Oh man I don't know if I could keep from buying the Imperial Agent's X-70B Phantom if they released it, and I haven't bought a LEGO set in YEARS.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#17 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

yeah the sets are pretty cool looking, I wish they'd make a sith temple set or at least like a sith "army builder" set, that'd be cool

mudkip.png

#18 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

There actually is an SW:TOR army builder set, although it's Sith and Republic troopers.

2004-2018

#19 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

I was thinking more like Sith acolytes and masters, not so much the troopers

mudkip.png

#20 Florent

Florent

Ocelot has liked a post you made in the E3 topic

• Nova Member
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

We all know how Lego kiddies love their troopers.

ezgif-2-8ff8fb9d1c.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users