Photo

Rising cost of lego

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Darklighter

Darklighter

• 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:18 AM

Has anyone else noticed the rising cost of LEGO? I think it has to do with the rising oil prices. Any other ideas?
We are an ancient order dedicated to the advancement of the human race. We the Fire in the night.

#2 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

The price of plastic. To make them costs too much money; that's why they resort to cheap plastics too.

giphy.gif

#3 Teh Brutus

Teh Brutus

Member #44

• 141 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (Darklighter @ Aug 1 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone else noticed the rising cost of LEGO? I think it has to do with the rising oil prices. Any other ideas?

Wtf oil prices?! blink.gif

QUOTE (The Arbiter @ Aug 1 2008, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The price of plastic. To make them costs too much money; that's why they resort to cheap plastics too.

At least they haven't stooped to the level of Mega Bloks. That stuff chips like crazy.

Edited by The Brute, 01 August 2008 - 07:59 AM.

#4 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

Wtf oil prices?! blink.gif

Lego is made from ABS. The B stands for Butadiene which is a petrol hydrocarbon. Lego is made from oil.

#5 Crackers

Crackers

NEW EARTH - RICK FETTORIAN'S STORY

• Banned
  • 785 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (GoldenElite0 @ Aug 1 2008, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lego is made from ABS. The B stands for Butadiene which is a petrol hydrocarbon. Lego is made from oil.

Well, petroleum, but in a way that could kind of be considered oil if you wish.

Anyway, Lego Group had been really been suffering economically just a few years ago. Now, while they had gotten back on track, they still need to be sure they're profiting instead of shrinking like they used to be. So, besides for possibly selling the parks (I'd put money on them doing that) and reducing the amount of people they have working for them, what can they do? They raise prices on their products of course, and while not being a permanent solution, it sure does add up in the long run for the company.

So yeah, I wouldn't expect Lego Group dropping their prices anytime soon, man. While I have stopped purchasing sets and building MOCs and might not be in the total loop concerning all of this stuff, I can assure you that the cheapest way to get what you want is to either stop buying or use Bricklink wink.gif .

#6 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:58 AM

So, besides for possibly selling the parks (I'd put money on them doing that)

I think Legoland Windsor was already sold a few years ago. I think Thorpe park (not that you know what that is) owns it.

#7 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,904 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Eh, LEGO has always been expensive. I haven't really noticed that much of a change. Actually, LEGO seems to be far more concerned with the price of printing designs onto pieces than they are with the price of plastic itself. Many sets that include no printed pieces at all continue to be pretty good deals (such as the Creator Transport Ferry, which is 1,279 pieces for just $70), while sets that have a lot of printed designs and control panels have huge sticker sheets instead (not that I mind - saves me the trouble of having to use brasso), and the number of printed minifigs makes a set's price soar astronomically (such as the Castle Giant Chess Set). The main exception I've encountered is the two Factory sets designed by AFOLs (Space Skulls and Star Justice), which were ridiculously overpriced at first, despite including few printed pieces. Thankfully they've come down now.

But anyway, like I said, LEGO has always been expensive. But compare them to MegaBloks. You get what you pay for. *shrug*

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#8 garskaus

garskaus

Rookie

• 41 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Well it does have to do with petroleum prices, but if we start drilling in america it should go down a bit in price i assume. How lego basically prices there products is by pieces (100 pieces usually = $10) but you have to count for the all the different pieces like a big huge base plate or 1 little stud. some sets have a ton of pieces and cost very little and some cost a lot. But legos have usually stayed the same price over the years but they have almost gone bankrupt before and they lost quite a lot of money recently i believe. The quality of lego is top notch and its worth it. If some sets you think are pretty pricey then i suggest sales on items on their site, they have some good sets for sale and you get quite a lot of pieces for your buck. But yeah some sets seem way over priced too like the new clone wars twilight, but the reason is because of the different pieces which all cost differently which adds to the price. Yeah i wish legos were cheaper than what they are now, but something like lego that can be made into anything you want and have tons of fun with lego is all worth the price. The play of the product you get in return of the cost is always worth it.

#9 FableSamurai

FableSamurai

Best if used by...

• Nova Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

Well honestly i think it has very little to do with price change in materials, but more the name of the set. Now Star Wars sets are always expensive because Star Wars is such a popular and well selling franchise that they can charge high and the SW fans will buy it. Now like Scorp said the ferry is cheeper because its just that a ferry. These new Agents sets are fairly close to that of a James Bond like thing, secret agents, with weird vilians, and "sexy" babes, its the way its presented. Castle is more expensive becasue of Dwarves, and Orcs....hits home to the Lord of the Rings fans. The stuff they make dictates the price. Some of the most expensive(and largest) LEGO sets are Star Wars, and Castle. The bigger, and more like the movies people know the more they charge.

This sounds good to have some kicks. I'm just gonna go on, and act retarted or something. Maybe shout quotes from the Communist Manifesto. Angrily.

Abandon your social life, and engage in Crackdown, GTA IV, Saints Row and Mass Effect 'till you beat them. BTW, don't turn it off while beating these games. I'm sure it will catch fire by then.

#10 Barracuda

Barracuda

Private First Class

• Nova Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:07 PM

I think The Arbiter is right. The price of plastics. It sucks how the X-large gray baseplate is now 15$.

Silver-Serpent

#11 Axel

Axel

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every second of it!

• 178 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

No, I agree with FableSamurai. TLC know which sets people want to buy and so they raise the price for those sets. They know how to make people pay more money for their favourite sets.

#12 Arcangel

Arcangel

Corporal

• Nova Member
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

I've seen a huge spike in my area in thye past year. This might not be totaly acurate but i believe that the price of the AT-ST starwars set has doubled from what it used to be. It is the exact model i have sitting on my Shelf but i bought it for like 20 bucks and now its 50. That is a deffintite increase right there if you ask me
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Ocelot

Ocelot

Pull my Devil Trigger

• 7,981 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:05 PM

Lego's always been expensive where I live. I wanted to buy that one Indiana Jones set with Indy, Mutt and Cate Blanchett because it had some awesome pieces that I want, and then I found out it was $20. $20 for three minifigs and some litter. All the sets are absurdly overpriced, that's just the only one I wanted.

#14 FableSamurai

FableSamurai

Best if used by...

• Nova Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Arcangel The Destroyer @ Aug 2 2008, 05:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've seen a huge spike in my area in thye past year. This might not be totaly acurate but i believe that the price of the AT-ST starwars set has doubled from what it used to be. It is the exact model i have sitting on my Shelf but i bought it for like 20 bucks and now its 50. That is a deffintite increase right there if you ask me

Well again because of the new SW movie the sets are all going to jump a bit in price. See how much they are charging already for that new Death Star Vig. Granted it has tons of figs, and pices, but still, its not worth $400. SW name, SW price.

This sounds good to have some kicks. I'm just gonna go on, and act retarted or something. Maybe shout quotes from the Communist Manifesto. Angrily.

Abandon your social life, and engage in Crackdown, GTA IV, Saints Row and Mass Effect 'till you beat them. BTW, don't turn it off while beating these games. I'm sure it will catch fire by then.

#15 Axel

Axel

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every second of it!

• 178 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

But on the other hand, some of the older but still available sets have dropped in price. The Clone Battle Pack has dropped from 20 to 14 Australian dollars.

#16 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Ocelot @ Aug 2 2008, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lego's always been expensive where I live. I wanted to buy that one Indiana Jones set with Indy, Mutt and Cate Blanchett because it had some awesome pieces that I want, and then I found out it was $20. $20 for three minifigs and some litter. All the sets are absurdly overpriced, that's just the only one I wanted.

Same thing in Japan. It's gotta be because they don't have a staple base there, or it's too expensive to get them out there. Or maybe the location's dollar isn't as strong as say somewhere else, so they dont really send too much out there, since it doesn't exactly pay off unless higher priced.

giphy.gif

#17 FableSamurai

FableSamurai

Best if used by...

• Nova Member
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Axel @ Aug 2 2008, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But on the other hand, some of the older but still available sets have dropped in price. The Clone Battle Pack has dropped from 20 to 14 Australian dollars.

Really? Hmm, well where I'm at the droid battle pack has dropped, but the Clone pack went up >_<. The rebel pack went down and the Storm trooper went up....dang it.

#18 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (GoldenElite0 @ Aug 2 2008, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Legoland Windsor was already sold a few years ago. I think Thorpe park (not that you know what that is) owns it.

It was. I'm going there later this year tongue.gif

I haven't really noticed the Price Increase, mainly because I rarely ever bother to buy Lego. But I'll probably compare the Prices when I get my The Tumbler: The Jokers Ice Cream Surprise Set later this summer.

Edited by Lupus Lycan, 02 August 2008 - 06:56 PM.

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#19 Chewbakkaa

Chewbakkaa

scruffy looking nerf herder

• Nova Member
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

Amazon over priced their LEGOs that are no longer on the market. I looked up the 2007 (or maybe it was 2008) republic gunship, $400! That moment was worthy of a jaw drop and a squint to make sure that I was reading it right. $400, that was about 4 times the price of when it was on the market. Amazon also sells the LEGO Star Wars camo clone trooper for $50. Come on Amazon! 

stormtrooper-mask-silhouette-image.png

This isn’t the user you’re looking for

#20 cheeso194

cheeso194

Corporal

• Nova Member
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

1378024391325.jpg

I DO NEAT THINGS WITH COMICS

Cheeso's One Offs and Pilots

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9064