• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Discuss.

First off: is that Falcon? Nevermind, Anthony Mackie is playing Falcon in Cappy 2, and there's nothing about him being in this... A few people I saw were wondering about Luke Cage?

Also there's the obvious question of whatup with Phil being alive? To quote a Youtube commenter:

S.H.I.E.L.D in the comics has access to something called LMD's. That stands for "Life Model Decoys". In the comics Nick Fury is OBSESSED with these things. I am sure in the Avengers movie it was an LMD of Phil Coulson and I am sure they will explain it all in the pilot episode.

Seems legit, but of course I've never read comics unfortunately, so...

Edited by Spider-man, 12 May 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#2 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,165 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

I think Fury lied in Avengers, when Coulson died.  He said the paramedics called it.  They hadn't even gotten to the body when Fury was talking over the intercom.

So there's that.

lWZ8e6F.png

#3 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• 2,027 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

I've heard that one. And since posting I've realized something about the LMD theory... Tony referenced these when he was avoiding Coulson's phone call...

#4 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'm betting on it being an LMD, and I feel like its going to end up being luke cage, maybe even some of the other heroes for hire. Also, anybody know the date they plan on starting the series?

Edited by silientspy, 12 May 2013 - 10:58 PM.

mudkip.png

#5 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,671 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

I know I'm alone in not really liking the Avengers movie, but am I also the only one who* could not care less about Coulson? I thought it was so weird when it seemed like that movie wanted me to be sad that Guy In Sunglasses just ate it. And not only me, but all the actual superheroes, too! That movie spends all that time establishing that all the heroes' egos are too big to work together, but then they're all humbled and brought together by the report of the death of this one guy that most of them probably couldn't have named. Why would the God of Thunder care that one specific SHIELD guy in a suit in a sea of SHIELD guys in suits died? Ugh, that movie was such a blegh sandwich. Look, I love all you guys and I'd be mortified if you ever thought I was insulting you, but you should all feel bad for liking that movie. Not even gonna do a tongue face, that's how super serious I am.

I've been wondering what's changed recently in the Joss Whedon/Me dynamic. I used to think he was the best, and I loved everything he did, and I listened raptly to all his commentaries on Buffy and Angel and Firefly and even read all the comics he wrote. Lately, though, I just... don't feel that way. I think it started with Dollhouse being terrible week after week. Just godawful. What possessed him to make that show? How did he ever think Eliza Duckshoes was going to carry a show where she had to portray a totally new character every week? Why did he wait until nobody cared anymore to bring in Alan Tudyk and write some interesting stories? Yergh. I actually watched that whole show, including those Felicia Day episodes set in the future, and despite the really interesting ideas it had, it was just soooooo boring to actually watch. The only thing I can really remember from it is the idea of someone grabbing my ankles when I walk down stairs that don't have risers.

Anyway, I'll try this show. Part of the reason I didn't like Avengers was that it felt like Joss Whedon tried to be really Joss Whedon-y, even though it didn't fit at all. The other Marvel movies haven't been Joss Whedon-y, and the actors cast in them haven't really displayed any inclination towards being Joss Whedon-y actors, but boy did he try and cram all that Joss Whedon-y-ness in there. Nothing was more awkward than seeing Sam Jackson and Scarlett Johansson trying to deliver snarky, ironic rapid-fire jabs. Maybe if Joss Whedon gets to pick his own cast, and not have to fit in with an established franchise, it'll turn out better. Or maybe it'll be terrible. Or maybe Joss Whedon is exactly as good as he ever was and I just don't like his stuff anymore, I don't know.

* I'm sorry for doing the "am I the only one who..." thing. I know it's the worst, most 13-year-old-girl-on-Youtube-who-thinks-she-has-a-unique-outlook-on-life way to start a sentence. Sometimes there's just no way around it, though.

#6 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• 2,027 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

I know I'm alone in not really liking the Avengers movie, but am I also the only one who* could not care less about Coulson? I thought it was so weird when it seemed like that movie wanted me to be sad that Guy In Sunglasses just ate it. And not only me, but all the actual superheroes, too! That movie spends all that time establishing that all the heroes' egos are too big to work together, but then they're all humbled and brought together by the report of the death of this one guy that most of them probably couldn't have named. Why would the God of Thunder care that one specific SHIELD guy in a suit in a sea of SHIELD guys in suits died? Ugh, that movie was such a blegh sandwich. Look, I love all you guys and I'd be mortified if you ever thought I was insulting you, but you should all feel bad for liking that movie. Not even gonna do a tongue face, that's how super serious I am.

I've been wondering what's changed recently in the Joss Whedon/Me dynamic. I used to think he was the best, and I loved everything he did, and I listened raptly to all his commentaries on Buffy and Angel and Firefly and even read all the comics he wrote. Lately, though, I just... don't feel that way. I think it started with Dollhouse being terrible week after week. Just godawful. What possessed him to make that show? How did he ever think Eliza Duckshoes was going to carry a show where she had to portray a totally new character every week? Why did he wait until nobody cared anymore to bring in Alan Tudyk and write some interesting stories? Yergh. I actually watched that whole show, including those Felicia Day episodes set in the future, and despite the really interesting ideas it had, it was just soooooo boring to actually watch. The only thing I can really remember from it is the idea of someone grabbing my ankles when I walk down stairs that don't have risers.

Anyway, I'll try this show. Part of the reason I didn't like Avengers was that it felt like Joss Whedon tried to be really Joss Whedon-y, even though it didn't fit at all. The other Marvel movies haven't been Joss Whedon-y, and the actors cast in them haven't really displayed any inclination towards being Joss Whedon-y actors, but boy did he try and cram all that Joss Whedon-y-ness in there. Nothing was more awkward than seeing Sam Jackson and Scarlett Johansson trying to deliver snarky, ironic rapid-fire jabs. Maybe if Joss Whedon gets to pick his own cast, and not have to fit in with an established franchise, it'll turn out better. Or maybe it'll be terrible. Or maybe Joss Whedon is exactly as good as he ever was and I just don't like his stuff anymore, I don't know.

* I'm sorry for doing the "am I the only one who..." thing. I know it's the worst, most 13-year-old-girl-on-Youtube-who-thinks-she-has-a-unique-outlook-on-life way to start a sentence. Sometimes there's just no way around it, though.

Yes. Yes you are. :P

The way I see it, Thor didn't really need motivation so much as the others regardless, considering he had already taken upon himself the protection of mankind and the fact that Selvig was brainwashed. Tony was really the one who needed it, 'cause it helped him just grow up. Steve would've been hit hard by it, because he cares about everyone, but really didn't need motivation. Bruce just has the whole issue with the other guy. Black Widow and Hawkeye are just doing their job and serving their country.

How do you not like Phil? I'm sorry, he's just a boss. He's so calm and suave and bad-something-I-don't-say-that-somehow-doesn't-really-have-a-synonym.

And on Joss Whedon: I'm sorry you've lost sight of the awesome... :P

#7 Gentleman Psychopath

Gentleman Psychopath

In Gaben We Save

• 732 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

I know I'm alone in not really liking the Avengers movie, but am I also the only one who* could not care less about Coulson? 

Your opinion is respected, even though it is utterly and completely wrong :P

EDIT: My opinions also may be slightly skewed as I'm just sort of coming upon a part of myself that really enjoys being a nerd(all the freakin time)

Edited by silientspy, 14 May 2013 - 01:02 AM.

mudkip.png

#8 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Oh hey, it looks like we've got a full trailer now.

#9 Jociva Flcol

Jociva Flcol

Pronounced Jo-siv-ah Flh-call. He is a ninja. 0.0

• Nova Patron
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

*heresy*

I hate you, and I almost considered removing my signature links. How can say all of those things? Opinions? What are those? Who do you think you are? How dare you?

*ahem*

Blablabla, your opinions matter blablabla

Whatever. This show is going to be awesome. Just like Avengers was. And just like everything Joss makes is. Including Dollhouse. And did I mention the Avengers? Yeah, cause it's the best. 

serenitysig.png

Click the Picture, you know you want to ;)

#10 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Patron
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Well let's see Ocey, in one fell swoop you've pissed off the Marvel fans, the movie fans, me, the Whedon fans, and one other person. His name is Phil.

Nah I'm just kidding, we ain't pissed (I don't think), personally I'm just a bit baffled. Especially since this is the first I've heard of you not liking Avengers. Usually your opinion gets around pretty quick.

As for the show, I'm intrigued and hopeful. This looks like it'll be pretty cool, and it means that God Joss is coming back to the small screen. Here's hoping they're not stupid enough to cancel this one.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#11 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,671 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

Oh wow that English girl is pretty, and that was ol' Gunn from Angel. This show actually looks pretty good. I still have no idea what anyone sees in Coulson, though. He could just have been a cardboard cutout in all the movies before Avengers, and when the time came to flesh out his character all they did was give him a dumb bullet-point, Hah, he likes Captain America toys, isn't that so zany? Because he's so aloof and stoic, and liking toys is not what you'd expect!

Splugh.

Spoiler

Especially since this is the first I've heard of you not liking Avengers. Usually your opinion gets around pretty quick.

My curmudgeonly posts were lost in a sea of joy and adulation in the Avengers thread we had  :P. It's just the aforementioned Whedonisms that I didn't think fit at all, and the way it kept undermining all the serious bits with dumb jokes. And I thought it made Loki seem like the most pathetic villain, too, by showing that every individual hero was capable of outfighting, outsmarting or even out-silver-tongue-ing him without even really breaking a sweat. I really loved the new Bruce Banner, and I thought his story was going really interesting places, but after he gets blown up by that jet it's all over with no explanation except "I'm always angry", which I didn't find satisfactory, to say the least. It was alright, but it just didn't do it for me the way the Iron Mans and Thor did.

#12 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

POPULAR

Gotta agree with Ocelot regarding Coulson *cough*andDollhouse*cough*. I mean, yeah, Coulson's a good agent. I got nothin' against him. But no one aside from the diehard fanboys in the audience and maybe other Shield agents had any reason to make such a big deal about his death. Making it THE thing that brought all the Avengers together "giving them something to avenge" was just kinda comical. It felt so exaggerated. Which is probably why I laughed so hard at this, the best Avengers blooper:

Still, the show looks like it could be fun. I'll give it a spin. :P

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#13 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,165 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

POPULAR

Why would the God of Thunder care that one specific SHIELD guy in a suit in a sea of SHIELD guys in suits died? 

Because "Son of Coul" was one of the very first friends Thor made upon coming to Earth.  Yeah, he had Jane and Darcy and the scientist but Coulson was in there too, and a lot of people forget that.

Anyway, I don't really care what anyone else thinks, I'm really glad Joss is coming back to the small screen.  Also Dollhouse was good (not Firefly-great but still a darn good show) and Avengers is one of my favorite movies and some guy living down in Australia won't ever convince me otherwise. :P

lWZ8e6F.png

#14 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Patron
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'm sure Tony would have been affected by his death too.

#15 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,671 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Because "Son of Coul" was one of the very first friends Thor made upon coming to Earth.  Yeah, he had Jane and Darcy and the scientist but Coulson was in there too, and a lot of people forget that.

I did totally forget that. Ah, I suppose you're right, he was kinda sorta friendly-ish with all those dudes. I do like the actor who plays him, and I was never bothered by his presence in the movies, but I just... I don't know, couldn't care less whether he lived or died :P. I'm sure they'll flesh him out more in the series.

#16 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,165 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm sure Tony would have been affected by his death too.

Well, yeah.  Even though it isn't shown onscreen, Stark obviously has more of a relationship with Coulson than Ocelot makes it out to be.

lWZ8e6F.png

#17 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Agents of SHIELD: This is why I rarely watch television anymore.

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#18 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• 2,027 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for showing us all of your well-thought-out reasons, Mikey, instead of just posting an opinion that really doesn't make sense to most of us without them.

:P

I dunno what it is about Coulson that you guys have managed to dislike him for... Honestly, I'm stumped.

Edited by Spider-man, 14 May 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#19 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

*stuff*

Just had to like that. Not that I agree at all, but that video was far too funny.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#20 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,165 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:22 AM

Agents of SHIELD: This is why I rarely watch television anymore.

Yep because a two and a half minute trailer totally shows the entirety of the show and gives you reason to make vague comments.

lWZ8e6F.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users