The music topic for serfs and peasants

• Please log in to reply
479 replies to this topic

#1 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Seeing as the old Music topic was originally made in the Silver Screen board, I thought I might try and make one here again. But if the fates deem it necessary for the mods to remove it, so be it.

Anyways, I've got something for you guys; John Frusciante's new EP, Letur-Lefr, described as "progressive synth pop." It definitely sounds way different than his other works, and there's a whole part that just throws me off in the album. But it's very abstract and surprising, and I enjoy it.

xgd0s9.jpg

#2 Werewolf King

Werewolf King

The night is dark and full of ninjas

• 739 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

I've actually been listening to the Skyrim ost during a lot of my free time. Mostly the Sovngarde theme, because it's so very boss.

Posted Image

#3 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

I just found this song. Perfect for old school Pokemon TV fans like me. :D

EDIT: Correction: Perfect for fans of the "old school" Pokemon TV show.

Edited by Ouflah, 16 July 2012 - 04:23 AM.

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#4 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,861 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:07 AM

I'm pretty sure the "old school" Pokemon TV show is older than you are.
Posted Image

#5 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:22 AM

I'm pretty sure the "old school" Pokemon TV show is older than you are.

I've watched episodes of the Indigo League online, and I'm a big fan. Personally, the new Pokemon shows pail in comparison to the old ones.

Edited by Ouflah, 16 July 2012 - 04:29 AM.

gTAoKX.gif

#6 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

Did someone call for an immediate 80's synth strike?

xgd0s9.jpg

#7 The Captain

The Captain

Gotta get back.

• 7,105 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

I can't say I'm a huge fan of vanilla rock, but dem Skillet guys are pretty great.

nY1rpGl.gif

#8 Princess Bacon

Princess Bacon

burn the internet

• Nova Member
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

I need to acquire more delicious jazz.

#9 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,861 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ask and ye shall receive.

#10 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Y'all have been enlightened...

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#11 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

In an interview with NME, Monkeys frontman Alex Turner discussed the lyrical composition of R U Mine:

That [Tracy Island] bit is like the thing Lil Wayne and Drake do. We've been listening to a lot of their stuff recently. I like that thing they do where they talk about something backwards, so they talk about it but then say what it actually is on the next line. It's hard to explain but I guess it's a little nod to that idea. So I say, 'I'm a puppet on a string', just before mentioning Tracy Island. That's what it's about – uncertainty

You read that correctly. That's Alex Turner publicly stating that he not only likes Hashtag Rap, but that he's using it in his own music... despite not being a rapper. At all.

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#12 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

I'm sure you folks have seen it already, but I'll post it anyways, an awesome Bassist:

And an awesome guitar cover of everybody wants to rule the world:

#13 Kasab

Kasab

It is pitch black.

• Banned
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Posted Image
Alright, let's try this. Billboard, what're the popular rap songs the kids are listening to?
Kanye West's Mercy, in which a band of mediocre rappers talk about subjects that are so worn out, it'd be doing the world a favour by kicking in their life support machine. 2 Chainz' No Lie, which is exactly the same thing, only at a quality level that would make even Mc Scat Cat feel ashamed. DJ Khaled's Take It To The Head features a woman-beating, emotionally unstable R&B singer and an overweight corrections officer helm the most boring rap song I've heard all year. Hint: its lyrical content involves money and promiscuous women. Wale's Bag of Money is a man with Geralt of Rivia's hair rapping about how he's rolling in cash. Ca$h Out's... Cashing Out?
You get the point. What about Nas, though? 20 years rapping, and he still looks 17. He made a name for himself by chronicling the hardships of the disenfranchised, inner-city black youth with undeniable skill. After a string of albums that are good-but-not-Illmatic, Life is Good is his newest. Hip-Hop is black men and their money. I can't relate to that, I'm a prole. I want flow and lyrical skill, preferably in a music circle that isn't the underground. I want a last champion of words and bars, who can tell great stories and put down rivals like Lord Byron with a syringe full of pentobarbital.

What we've got is the Nas of 2012. There's more good than bad, so let's start with the former.
Make no mistake, this is a good album. Nas brings up his divorce with Kelis, (note the wedding dress draped over his knee on the cover) and how he's feeling confident in the wake of all that. "Life is Good" means something other than "I've got hoes and dosh", for once. Nas genuinely seems to be at his happiest, most comfortable. Daughters is an emotive track in which he warmly goes through the trials of raising a daughter.
Bye Baby is Nas' look back at his failed relationship with his wife. Cherry Wine is all about what Nas looks for in a woman- and it's not "boobies like wow oh wow". It's also got a fantastic Amy Winehouse sample. Nasty is also included as the obligatory braggadocio song. It's just as stunning as it was last year, if not more. It perfectly demonstrates Nas' cadence and enunciation. The Black Bond compares the lavish lifestyle of a high-paid rapper to that of Fleming's superspy. It's got one of the best beats on the album, with a classic Bond vibe. Back When is a retelling of Nas' youth, and pairs well with A Queens Story. It's not even that these songs are all that different lyrically to what most of rap is doing- they are, though it's more that Nas' skill and strength as a storyteller really stands out. Even on Nasty, it's all in the delivery. Is Nas talking about how rich he is, and how many beautiful, classy, and high-tax-bracket women he's seducing? Yeah, but it's Nas. He's doing it in a way that's engaging, clever, and unique.

It's when you look at the two flops of the album that the good parts look even better.
Firstly, there's a track called Summer On Smash. From the production to the lyrics, it's a poor track. It's money and hoes without the cleverness, the storytelling, or the uniqueness. Nas' verses are pretty decent, but Swizz Beatz and the other guy aren't worth insulting. Rick Ross' verse on Accident Murderers brings the song down several notches, and You Wouldn't Understand could be quite a bit better. Yet, even with their inclusion, this is still the strongest Hip-Hop album in a very long time, and Nas' best album since Stillmatic. Maybe the fact that the Hip-Hop charts are complete garbage works in Nas' favour, but this outwords and outclasses anything Young Money or Kanye could put out. It's the album Watch The Throne could never have been. It's brimming with confidence, charm, and class. It's hopeful for the future but still all about the here-and-now.
Posted Image
Life is good, Nas. Life is good.

EDIT: Cleared up the ridiculous amount of hyperlinks I stuffed in there.

Edited by Kasab, 19 July 2012 - 09:20 PM.

Psst. I no longer come here anymore.

#14 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

I'm listening to the official song for the Olympics being held here in Britain this summer-a song by the name of survival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66molzUEkWI

Bad lyrics aside, it's good , if crazy, piece. Not for the first time, Muse emulate Queen at places, not always successfully, but I like the multi-tracked vocals, and the cheesy intro is actually quite fun. The simplistic lyrics and complete over-the-topness of the song make it a perfect pick for an event as epic as the olympics.

You might not know Muse-they're not that big outside Europe. They're pretty much the own band I really care much for which are "modern"-Matt Bellamy (singer/lead guitarist) is the main reason I started learning guitar. They have a bit of a reputation (probably deservedly) for being over the top, but they've written plenty of music that doesn't feature choirs and such. Eg. below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G__4i06V9Ps&feature=plcp

Edited by Darknoon, 19 July 2012 - 09:19 PM.

My comic, which I'd appreciate you reading:
Posted Image

#15 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,861 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

Muse is pretty big outside of Europe dude, I don't know what gave you the opposite impression. :P I really like them, but The Resistance was kind of... far out compared to their older stuff. Which is ok, bands are allowed to try new things and all that but I personally still prefer stuff like Black Holes & Revelations and Origin of Symmetry.

#16 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

They're big outside Europe, but not as big. They only really "broke though" in America in more recent years, or at least as I understand it.

I agree the Resistance is different, but I really liked it, and it actually flows better than most of their albums, imo. I'd rate their albums like this:

1) Origin of Symmetry
2) The Resistance/Absolution
3) Black holes and Revelations
4) Showbiz

Edited by Darknoon, 20 July 2012 - 11:18 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Princess Bacon

Princess Bacon

burn the internet

• Nova Member
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Hip-Hop is black men and their money. I can't relate to that, I'm a prole.

Unless you're in Australia. Then it's white bois and whatever they feel like rapping about at the time (Drinking, how hard life is, how awesome life is, how crappy the state of the world is, zombie apocalypses, whatever, it's all good.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZR50b3A9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDaFTVb662E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJo0A9pUR0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2L1AUCoXjk

#18 Darknoon

Darknoon

hail hydra

• 1,274 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'm listening to Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd, mainly for that solo, which is genius-I can play a version of it on guitar , but nothing beats David Gilmour it live.

https://www.youtube....h?v=bDC3ade3JxU

Also Mr. Bad Guy by Freddie Mercury-the album itself isn't that good, but the title track is pretty great, even if it is a bit self-indulgent. ("I'm Mr. Mercury!")

https://www.youtube....h?v=MMr1zH8NoEY

Edited by Darknoon, 22 July 2012 - 06:36 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

gTAoKX.gif

#20 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Listen in 720p, or you truely are a peasant (or a serf).

xgd0s9.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users