Photo

Game of Thrones: What about Ygritte, Jon?

• Please log in to reply
798 replies to this topic

#21 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

I discovered that show some weeks ago... :shock: Impressive, even thought I watched the french-version, it was excellent.

Too bad some of the most interesting characters are dead. And that I missed the first three episodes...

#22 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:03 PM

the french-version,

Let me guess, they all surrendered about five minutes in to the first episode?

In all seriousness, I enjoyed the tv series just as much as I enjoyed the books; my only standing criticism is the fact that, to my knowledge, they haven't released a soundtrack yet. Honestly!
Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#23 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Member
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:04 AM

I've heard a lot of good things about this show. I really want to watch it, but the thing is, I don't get HBO <_<

#24 Dr Blood-Snake

Dr Blood-Snake

There are no men like me

• Nova Member
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

Neil Marshall to direct 'Blackwater' Episode

I don't really know the director's work, but I'm excited for this season 2 Episode. It is going to rock. Easily the best battle scene of the series.

"Do you still love her?"
"Almost as much as I hate her."

#25 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

I haven't read the books, since I'm not real big on fantasy, but I just finished the first season and I totally can't wait for the second one. Good stuff, good stuff indeed.

xgd0s9.jpg

#26 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

Let me guess, they all surrendered about five minutes in to the first episode?

How original...

I've heard a lot of good things about this show. I really want to watch it, but the thing is, I don't get HBO <_<

Same here. I've heard enough about the books to know I wouldn't really want to read them, but television seems like a more palatable format. I definitely wouldn't mind watching a medieval/fantasy show that I might be able to take seriously.

Wish I could find a way to watch it...

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#27 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

How original...

Thank you!

Same here. I've heard enough about the books to know I wouldn't really want to read them, but television seems like a more palatable format. I definitely wouldn't mind watching a medieval/fantasy show that I might be able to take seriously.

Taking it seriously is not really a problem, as most of the actors in it act pretty seriously and rarely over the top. (Unless it is their characterization, much like Drogo's speeches... Oh man... his speeches. :shock: )

Also, some scenes aren't for the weak hearted or simple minded. Remember that scene where that guy teaches two women how to have sex? Well yes, pretty weird.

#28 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:23 AM

Taking it seriously is not really a problem, as most of the actors in it act pretty seriously and rarely over the top. (Unless it is their characterization, much like Drogo's speeches... Oh man... his speeches. :shock: )

I loved the scene where he went off about deciding to actually invade and his son being the horse that mounts the world. I was pumped. Then, you know.

#29 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

Also, some scenes aren't for the weak hearted or simple minded. Remember that scene where that guy teaches two women how to have sex? Well yes, pretty weird.

Well, every HBO show has to have it's HBO moments I guess.

xgd0s9.jpg

#30 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

How to summarize A Song of Ice and Fire: Don't get too emotionally attached to any character, or you'll fling the book at the wall every dozen pages or so and scream into your pillow. Then you pick it up because you cannot put it down because Martin is a sadistic, ingenious bastard.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#31 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

How to summarize A Song of Ice and Fire: Don't get too emotionally attached to any character, or you'll fling the book at the wall every dozen pages or so and scream into your pillow. Then you pick it up because you cannot put it down because Martin is a sadistic, ingenious bastard.

^^This!

I've only read the first three books so far (I put down the series when college began, since I don't have a lot of time to read and the plot is already quite dense and confusing, it's best to wait until I can devote more time to it) but I have been nothing but impressed with both the books and the TV series. For once, an adaptation that doesn't make you want to blow your brains out! And a Swords and Dragons fantasy that isn't about a young hero saving the day!

I think the books' crowning achievement is the fact that literally anyone can die at any time; there is no "plot armor." It's so refreshing to pick up a book and truly have no idea who will live and who will die by the end. It creates a feeling of dread and fear, one that I've not felt in any book since. Anyone who is a writer will tell you that killing characters isn't easy, neither to write nor to plot out. I applaud Martin for tackling something this huge, but doing so in a way that has great mainstream appeal, never getting bogged down in the world's lore, and instead keeps the focus where it should be, the characters.

Even if there are a TON of them.

/end Song of Praise.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#32 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

^^This!

I've only read the first three books so far (I put down the series when college began, since I don't have a lot of time to read and the plot is already quite dense and confusing, it's best to wait until I can devote more time to it) but I have been nothing but impressed with both the books and the TV series. For once, an adaptation that doesn't make you want to blow your brains out! And a Swords and Dragons fantasy that isn't about a young hero saving the day!

I think the books' crowning achievement is the fact that literally anyone can die at any time; there is no "plot armor." It's so refreshing to pick up a book and truly have no idea who will live and who will die by the end. It creates a feeling of dread and fear, one that I've not felt in any book since. Anyone who is a writer will tell you that killing characters isn't easy, neither to write nor to plot out. I applaud Martin for tackling something this huge, but doing so in a way that has great mainstream appeal, never getting bogged down in the world's lore, and instead keeps the focus where it should be, the characters.

Even if there are a TON of them.

/end Song of Praise.

Wait 'till you get to the end of Dance. Srs.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#33 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,176 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

Wait 'till you get to the end of Dance. Srs.

Stfu that was horrible. :'(

lWZ8e6F.png

#34 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

Stfu that was horrible. :'(

You know nothing, Vorgain.
Spoiler

Also, Hitler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Jm_mT1G8Q

Edited by Richard, 15 September 2011 - 06:10 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#35 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,176 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:31 PM

You know nothing, Vorgain.

Spoiler

Spoiler

lWZ8e6F.png

#36 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:11 AM

Really, with Martin, he's probably a doornail. Or however that saying goes.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#37 Florent

Florent

bWa bwa bWA

• Nova Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:14 AM

What is this "HBO Go thing" anyways?

I'm trying to watch GoT on the HBO website, but it says I need HBO Go...

Do I need the HBO telivision channel to watch them online? That seems rather F----ING RETARDED.
I don't get the channel, but I really want to watch this show :(

EDIT: I found a working (And most likely illegal) way to watch the ep's.
[link removed]
Beware, if you get a virus or something, it's not my fault :P
Although, you may want to cover your ears because of the 13 year old girls screaming to a beat during the ad. Ugh. I can't stand music these days :\

NOBODY TOLD ME THERE WERE ZOMBIES?!

(Thanks style, I blanked on the rules on that :\)

eWjgVRV.gifCv9qYsI.gifWT0zDwa.gif

#38 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

PROTIP: Don't link illegal things :/

xgd0s9.jpg

#39 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

You need to be an HBO subscriber to get HBO Go. How is that retarded? No one would pay for an HBO subscription if they could just watch all the episodes online for free.

Posted Image

#40 Florent

Florent

bWa bwa bWA

• Nova Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

You need to be an HBO subscriber to get HBO Go. How is that retarded? No one would pay for an HBO subscription if they could just watch all the episodes online for free.

Watch older videos?

Other stations like CBS have a few episodes of some shows online, or on Hulu.

I don't understand why HBO doesn't, Probably because they have some of the best shows though :\

I just find it annoying that I don't have access to these awesome shows, and I can't watch them online without buying a subscription or whatever.

eWjgVRV.gifCv9qYsI.gifWT0zDwa.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users