• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#1 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

Anyways, here we have another topic to talk about the various anime that we enjoy. I intended on posting in the topic today but then realized it was deleted in the trolling attack, so here we go. First off is me reevaluating my favourites list. It's pretty much a TL;DR, so feel free to skip.

Favourite anime:

Durarara!! - Best anime of the year, is what I need to say.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - I think I've raved about it enough. It's unpredictable, it's energetic and the way it plays with the slice of life genre, character archetypes and everything else is nothing short of incredible, especially combined with Kyon's deadpan narrative, making me feel incredibly smart with all it's literary references and providing contrast to the ridiculous situation he's been placed in.
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - I love GitS to death. The story was nothing short of brilliant, asking some rather interesting philosophical questions wrapped up in a very living, breathing world of post-cyberpunkism and awesome action sequences.
Cowboy Bebop - Let's see... expert synergy of two otherwise dissimilar styles combined with incredibly choreographed fight sequences, some very memorable characters and arguably the best dub ever made. Oh yeah, also the best opening in the history of ever.
Samurai Champloo - It's Watanabe at it again, it was the same things that made Cowboy Bebop work yet in a completely different setting and arguably an even more dissimilar hybrid of styles (feudal Japan and rap) along with liberal distortion of historic events and yeah.
Full Metal Panic! (including Second Raid and Fumoffu) - What can I say? FMP! masterfully strikes an incredibly good balance between slice-of-life school comedy and absolutely stunningly animated mecha action sequences tied together with some legitimately good characterization and as it would turn out, an amazing OST. I'll be honest though, and say Second Raid is probably my favourite.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - (There's nothing that defines the HSQ than TTGL. I'll be honest, I was rather unimpressed with the first episode, Kamina aside, it didn't seem that great. Of course I was totally proven wrong later on, especially when... that happens.)
FLCL - Do I really need to justify this?
Trigun - The one thing I loved about Trigun was how unconventional it was. It didn't appeal to standard hero tropes, Vash was a badass, but from his first appearance, you could tell what kind of character he was. The opening was great, the action was excellent and it was also my first foray into the world of Johnny Young Bosch.
Baccano! - Pure awesome, is what I'd describe Baccano! as. It's what you'd call Pulp Fiction except with alchemy, supernaturalism and less Samuel L. Jackson. It gets surprisingly brutal at times (okay, a lot), with some absolutely awesome characters and an absolutely amazing dub.
Death Note - It's among the two anime that really got me into the whole scene. Sure, I watched DBZ and grew up with Cowboy Bebop and whatnot, but until Death Note and FMA, it wasn't too much my thing.
Fullmetal Alchemist - The second of the duo of anime that got me into it all. I can't tell you of all the good times I had every Friday night watching on Bionix (RIP), getting to know every bit and piece of the story.
Lucky Star - It was an anime that made fun of other anime, along with numerous references and this kind of Seinfeldian humour that I really enjoyed coupled with some very memorable characters and yeah.
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei: Pure, absurd fun. Everything about SZS is simply incredible. You can get an amazing amount out of the wordplayliciousness of pretty much every character's name alone. That coupled with the absolutely insane situations the cast find themselves in this (pumped to a ridiculous extent in Zan and Zoku), SZS is just lovely.
Gunslinger Girl - It's basically the NGE of 'Girls With Guns'/petite girl killer assassin. It deconstructs the entire trope and everything related to it, illustrating what it takes for people to turn innocent, traumatized girls and turn them into killing machines. It's tragic and beautiful, but I would really be lying if the action scenes weren't incredible as well. I'd flat-out recommend the dub regardless, if only for the fact they get much of the Italian pronounciation down correctly.

I'm probably missing like a billion but whatever.

Manga that I read:
Yotsuba& (GLORIOUS!)

Yeah... don't read too much these days.

Currently watching:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (I've gotta say, I was relatively unimpressed by the first twelve episodes, as it skimmed through a lot of very powerful moments (Nina comes to mind immediately), but then my mind was officially blown by 13. And then 19 happens and Roy goes from jerkass to something incredibly reminiscent of Gendo of all people to awesome and by the end of episode 19... my god. Incredible.

tumblr_nk2f3wRCMa1si48w3o1_1280.png

#2 Kikayoaka

Kikayoaka

There must be some way out of here

• Banned
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:49 AM

I have a love-hate relationship with Anime, because 90% of it is godawful, but then the small amount of good Anime there is I really like.

Moonlight's favorites list is a perfect example of this.

#3 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

Moonlight. You listed all of my favorite anime on your list of favorites. I agree with everything you say too. :) We must have similar tastes.

Though, you missed one. Code Geass. That was a great anime that had a lot of energy and managed to balance...everything...well. Except for a few hiccups in season two, it was an overall great series. :)

Need to watch FLCL. I heard it's amazing.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#4 Kikayoaka

Kikayoaka

There must be some way out of here

• Banned
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:13 AM

FLCL was pretty good.

#5 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

Two subbed episodes of Brotherhood to go, two subbed episodes of Brotherhood to go, two subbed episodes of Brotherhood to go... GAH! I can't wait! I know how the manga ends already, just show me the anime ending Funimation!! You have to show me before I explode from pure madness!!![/VicMignognaRanting]

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#6 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

Moonlight. You listed all of my favorite anime on your list of favorites. I agree with everything you say too. :) We must have similar tastes.

Though, you missed one. Code Geass. That was a great anime that had a lot of energy and managed to balance...everything...well. Except for a few hiccups in season two, it was an overall great series. :)

Code Geass... I would of added, and did, but removed at the last second. Mainly because while R1 was really good... R2 was rather lackluster, only redeemed by it's ending. That said, it was rather good.

EDIT: Also, lol Loki. FUNi's just licensed it here. BONES is the one animating. For shame. :P

#7 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

Okay Bones and Funimation then, I only said Funimation first because they're the ones offering it subbed on their site about a week after each episode comes out in Japan.

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

#8 Darchot

Darchot

The Brain Palace

• 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

I agree with your list for the most part Moonlight. My all-time favorite anime is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, my avatar.
Hey, remember me?

#9 Joker

Joker

=333

• Nova Patron
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

Fruits Basket, because it's bloody hilarious when it wants to be and dead serious when it needs to be. Great characters and great animation. I'm not a big fan of the really gritty anime where every character except for women and the naturally attractive male lead have their faces filled with warts cause appearantly, warts in your face and Kill Bill type blood is gritty.

Actually, really bloody anime with wart people kinda makes me feel sick. Something about that art style has just a bad effect on my stomach.

#10 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

Just watched FMA:B episode 63
I feel like they could just end it right there, and I would be satisfied. I was, in fact. Then they played the preview for the epilogue and then I remembered "Oh right. Ed."

Well, you had a good run, Fullmetal. Now have a good life.

#11 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:47 AM

OH CRAP I FORGOT TO MENTION BLACK LAGOON

On that note, anyone see this yet?

It's nothing much we haven't seen already, but hey! Third Barrage.

#12 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:46 AM

It's nothing much we haven't seen already, but hey! Third Barrage.

FINALLY! The Dance of Death in full motion! This can't come out soon en... Wait. BL was distributed by Geneon wasn't it? Who's got it now?

#13 Halcyon

Halcyon

Boop.

• Nova Member
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:53 AM

My favorites? FLCL, Rourouni Kenshin, and, while I haven't seen them in forever, Cowboy Bebop and Gundam were some of my favorites as a little kid.

#14 Kenny

Kenny

• Nova Member
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:02 AM

Third Barrage.

YES.

Some of my favorites are Black Lagoon, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, Lucky Star, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni. Actually, Higurashi is quite possibly my favorite thing of all things ever.

#15 Moonlight

Moonlight

Leave Luck To Heaven

• Nova Member
  • 3,781 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:32 AM

FINALLY! The Dance of Death in full motion! This can't come out soon en... Wait. BL was distributed by Geneon wasn't it? Who's got it now?

I imagine FUNimation is taking control of it. It's listed on their video website, anyways. Besides, FUNi announced Geneon would be subsidized into them, didn't they? I mean, going to Geneon's official website just redirects you to a section of FUNimation's web page.

#16 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:19 AM

Afro Samurai? Anybody?

#17 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,862 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Animes:
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Gundam Wing

Manga:
Full Metal Alchemist

All very excellent, and all are finished. :(

#18 Princess Bacon

Princess Bacon

burn the internet

• Nova Member
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

Animes:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Samurai Champloo
Black Lagoon
Soul Eater
Maria Holic (When I heard it was an anime about a lesbian going to a catholic all-girls school, I had some doubts. But, then I watched it. Holeeeeeeeeeeeee ****. Best Comedy Anime Ever.)

#19 Deceptus

Deceptus

Unwashed Villager

• 818 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:35 AM

Starting a few hours ago, I have two Hetalia fangirls fangirling over my resemblance to Estonia. :rolleyes:

Anime cons are awesome.

#20 Xero

Xero

The King of Iron Fist

• Nova Member
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

Starting a few hours ago, I have two Hetalia fangirls fangirling over my resemblance to Estonia. :rolleyes:

Anime cons are awesome.

That just sounds very, very sad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users