Photo

The Wrestling Topic

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Patron
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

So, let's talk wrestling. 

TAmrskR.gif

Yes, men wearing abnormally tight pants and pretending to punch each other in the face is still a thing, though wrestling has changed quite a bit from what you may remember from the 80s and 90s. No longer able to rely on blood, scantily clad women, or the appeal of seeing half naked men stare each other down, wrestling has gotten better. In order to get good reactions from modern audiences, wrestlers are now required to move faster, hit (pretend) harder, and pull off more death-defying stunts. Most wrestlers WWE uses nowadays actually know how to wrestler, which is quite an improvement for those of us who had to endure the likes of Heidenreich. 

Anyway, this is a topic for those of us to enjoy wrestling to talk about our most sacred of vices. I find that a lot of wrestling fans are very cynical and angry nowadays, and as such they often overlook some of the awesome things currently happening in the WWE. 

1. AJ Styles and Kevin Owens are the current champs. One short, one fat, these guys never would have gotten the chance to shine decades ago. But now they are the biggest stars in the industry. 

wOKLqKy.gif

2. The Cruiserweight classic was a thing of beauty and featured wreslters from around the world below 205 pounds fighting in a tournament. Some amazing matches were had during this tournament. And because everyone was so light, they can pull off crap like this:

Kota+Ibushi+super+German+suplex+to+Brian

3. Women's wrestling is now a thing. The women's title was the main event of the Hell in a Cell pay-per view recently, and while it was far from perfect (the women involved had little experience with hardcore matches like these), it was still historically significant and the crowd was hyped.

d5ba1d02f10e9a4ccbbbc6918ef8279f65b64298

4. Not all wrestling is fake. Ask the Japanese stars who typically kick each other for real. Hard. And one of them, Shinsuke Nakamura (a.k.a., Kung-fu Michael Jackson), holds the title in NXT, the best brand in modern day wrestling. 

tumblr_n5i3jpBlut1tt2jjyo1_r1_500.gif

5. The entrance music. 

So yeah, talk wrestling both past or present, WWE and indy. Wrestling is relevant now you guys! A WWE Hall of Famer is president. :P Just keep things respectful. And don't make fun of it just because its fake: the average wrestling fan is well aware. So be respectful or you might be put on the list

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#2 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Self-Ejected
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:17 PM

Also, this:

Not only is this video hilarious, but it's the one thing Hawk showed me regarding Wrestling that got me to appreciate it.

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#3 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Patron
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 09:12 PM

So, for those you who are not in the know, Goldberg is back and is facing Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series. Wrestling fans have mixed feelings about that: Goldberg was a great star, but his match with Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania a decade ago was a disaster. How could he possibly do it again after being out of the ring for so many years? But personally, I think that Goldberg's other qualities will allow him to outshine this flaw. Anyway, here's something you may have forgotten. 

The guy did backflips. 

That's 285 pounds of badass doing a dainty little flip in the ring. The crazy part? He makes it look cool. 

#4 Hawk

Hawk

• Nova Patron
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

So I'm bored at work with nothing to do and access to a computer, so let's talk a little bit about this weekend and some of the matches I am most excited about. That's right, its Survivor Series weekend, but I have to say that outside of Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar there is not much to talk about for Survivor Series because, outside of bragging rights, most of the matches have no stakes. I've always been a fan of the 5 v 5 elimination matches, so it should be fun, but there isn't much there to excite me. So instead, let's talk about WWE's little brother, NXT. 

Yes, NXT, the developmental brand lead by Triple H that has been, in many people's opinions, far better than the main product for years. All of our favorites on the current roster started here, and every one of their takeover events so far has been memorable. Since its only an hour a week, I'd recommend NXT to any wrestling fan looking for a place to start. 

tumblr_nzilggf0v41sbzhteo1_400.gif

Let's talk first about how awesome Samoa Joe is. One of the Rock's many cousins, Samoa Joe worked for companies other than the WWE before finally getting the call. As a heel, he has been amazing to watch inside the ring and out. He's one of those big men who does not look as though they could be agile, but then they do crap like that during special events that makes my jaw drop to the floor. Joe is the monster WWE needs right now with guys like the Undertaker and Kane nearing retirement. Joe has the size, the look, ant the intensity to take their spots, while adding some great grappling skills that makes him stand out during the days of mixed martial arts being more popular.

His feud with Nakamura (kung-fu Michael Jackson) has been great. Joe lost the title and gave a speech paying his respect for Nakamura before breaking his back against the steel steps. Then, with Nakamura story-line injured, Joe declared war on NXT interrupting random matches and beating everyone up so that he can demand that the title be handed to him. It was one of the most badass ways for a heel to go about their business that I've ever seen. As for Nakamura, he's still great, and tells Joe that he has his nose.

tumblr_obq064vgJb1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

The match I'm perhaps most looking forward to is the Revival (old-school brawlers) vs DIY (combo hitters like in a fighting game) who had an amazing match the last time they met up, and now its 2 out of 3 falls. Not much of a story behind this one, but its unnecessary. Everyone knows that DIY is still the best tag team on the roster, and the Revival have been phenomenal champions. Their last match stole the show, and their rematch should be no different. 

nxt-takeover-brooklyn-ii_25.gif

Combo breaker!

And the last match I'm looking forward to is between Bobby Roode and Tye Dillinger, former tag team partners with big egos trying to prove their unmatched Canadian dominance. Bobby Roode is a businessman's wrestler who is excellent in all respects, hence his success in other promotions before coming to NXT. WWE added to his persona by giving him a great song that the crowd sings along with. The problem with WWE sometimes is that you see people too often. I've seen Bray Wyatt, for instance, several times this week, and I used to get hyped every time he walked out to the ring. Not anymore. Not even his great entrance gets me excited anymore. Roode, on the other hand, we have not seen in awhile because NXT is only a hour a week. So yeah, its going to be GLORIOUS!

Bobby+Roode+glorious+bomb.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users