90 replies to this topic

#41 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Hm, let's see. We've got...

A character played by an actor who's most famous for a tv show that everyone loved (check)

Group of characters who are anti-heroes (check)

Token woman (check) (womEn in SS)

Bumpy characters that look like The Thing (check)

Cheesy/forced machismo dialogue (check)

Character obsessed with killing things (check)

Actor with a background in music (check)

I'm not saying it is, but they're fairly similar from an abstract standpoint.

#42 Spider-Man

Spider-Man

Your friendly neighborhood...

• 2,027 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:43 PM

But I'm ready to move past Ledger Joker and see what the next man up to Bat has to offer.

#43 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,823 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

POPULAR

I was never a big fan of Heath Ledger's broody no-smiling-or-laughing version of the Joker, and this one just looks like they went too far in the other direction. Not a fan of it either. Of course my favorite Joker will always be Mark Hamill in the Animated Series, but I might even say Jack Nicholson was the best live-action Joker. It's a shame we'll probably never see Willem Dafoe as the Joker, because he was a better Joker when playing the Green Goblin than any actual live-action Joker I've seen. What a waste of the creepiest huge smile in Hollywood.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#44 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:35 PM

I'm suddenly getting this horrible feeling that this whole movie was basically designed to be DC's answer to GotG and that thought fills me with a mix of terror and sadness.

That's because this is what the actually is.

DC saw that, took a bunch of almost unheard-of B-Listers in a team somehow related to the main characters (much like Guardians of the Galaxy), a bunch of criminals with strange pasts, forced to work together. They probably thought if GotG can do it, so can they ... they just seem to forget that the main drive of GotG was the randomness of the movie, the music, the really disconnected characters forced together, the humor, because let's face it, it was more of a comedy than an action movie, yet a full-on space opera, and more than that, this movie had feelings. It has a heart and isn't afraid to show it.

... Suicide Squad is full of scowling, grimness, and guns. The only colorful part of it seems to be the Joker and Harley Quinn, and that seems to be their main selling point. They don't even appear to market the movie with Will Smith's face !

#45 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• 3,859 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

All these DC movies look like horrible trash. I can't wait to see them, it'll be fun. 

#46 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

You can't really market Will Smith's face if it's gone for most of the movie though.

#47 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

DC is simply desperate to follow the success of Nolan's grimdark approach, while aping the MCU format. But thet don't understand what mafe either one a success beyond aesthetics.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#48 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Salton Dalton

• Nova Patron
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:14 AM

It's a shame we'll probably never see Willem Dafoe as the Joker, because he was a better Joker when playing the Green Goblin than any actual live-action Joker I've seen. What a waste of the creepiest huge smile in Hollywood.

marvel-green-goblin-norman-osborn.jpg

Now there's a Joker that would be really good.

#49 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:39 AM

POPULAR

I was never a big fan of Heath Ledger's broody no-smiling-or-laughing version of the Joker, and this one just looks like they went too far in the other direction. Not a fan of it either. Of course my favorite Joker will always be Mark Hamill in the Animated Series, but I might even say Jack Nicholson was the best live-action Joker. It's a shame we'll probably never see Willem Dafoe as the Joker, because he was a better Joker when playing the Green Goblin than any actual live-action Joker I've seen. What a waste of the creepiest huge smile in Hollywood.

np9AwkA.gif

Yeh, you right.

Y0YOJs2.jpg?1

Oh and for good measure...

AZDh9pm.jpg

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

#50 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:41 AM

np9AwkA.gif

ccog1pY.gif

I can definitely see it, though I don't know if I could get through a movie with DaFoe as Joker and not imagine him yelling at Spider-Man the entire time.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

ezgif_com_b873041021.gif

#51 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:49 AM

I can definitely see it, though I don't know if I could get through a movie with DaFoe as Joker and not imagine him yelling at Spider-Man the entire time.

Oh no, it's perfect!

"WE'LL MEET AGAIN, BAAATMAAN!!"

tqtEf64.gif

#52 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Salton Dalton

• Nova Patron
  • 3,018 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:05 AM

Oh no, it's perfect!

"WE'LL MEET AGAIN, BAAATMAAN!!"

chuck_norris_approves.gif

#53 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

I'll just leave this here:

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#54 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

To be honest, John DiMaggio was a pretty decent Joker. Perhaps not in the live-action sense...

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#55 Florent

Florent

bWa bwa bWA

• Nova Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

But against Hamill, there's really no comparison. Baker was actually pretty good, but then I'm also pretty sure he has golden vocal chords that can just do anything.

eWjgVRV.gifCv9qYsI.gifWT0zDwa.gif

#56 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, DiMaggio's Joker felt like just the right blend of grounded brutality and insane class to him for that movie, just the right amount of Ledger and Hamill without copying either one entirely. That, and Under the Red Hood being one of the best Batman movies (IMO) helped out a lot.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#57 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

http://www.dorkly.co...nd-of-brilliant

Maybe?

tqtEf64.gif

#58 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

*leans in, and tosses this in to fuel the fires of Joker debates further*

(Given I haven't seen any of these besides some of Heath Ledger and a low-quality version of the Suicide Squad trailer, these are not my actual opinions... ^^; )

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#59 Florent

Florent

bWa bwa bWA

• Nova Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

Reminder that Cesar Romero refused to even shave his mustache for the role of the Joker, and still has it under his makeup.

You can back to your complaining now.

eWjgVRV.gifCv9qYsI.gifWT0zDwa.gif

#60 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:53 PM

Reminder that Cesar Romero refused to even shave his mustache for the role of the Joker, and still has it under his makeup.

Which is why he's still the GOAT of Jokers.

Even Hamill's not on that level.

There's a difference between not caring for laws, and thinking it's okay to have sex with underage children.

UBQLqv7.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users