• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 03:34 AM

Here, have a nice website to watch the whole thing from start to current episode

I'm kinda shocked we don't have a topic for this already. This show is amazing. Well, at least in my opinion it is.

1b8e1512fdc2c28fd010a99dbfd5b16ba1b49403

Let's paint a little picture for those of you who are clueless. It's 2012, the animation landscape is entering a new renaissance between CN's multitude of (some of them we now know were depressingly short-lived) amazing programs like The Clone Wars, Young Justice, Adventure Time, etc. and Nick's Legend of Korra gearing up to begin. It was a pretty great time...except at Disney. I mean, yeah, we had Phineas and Ferb, but that was kind of it when it came to good animation from a Disney network.

That summer, we're introduced to this marvelously twisted work from the mind of Alex Hirsch known as Gravity Falls. It had everything, an awesomely catchy title theme, Great characters, absolutely incredible lore and continuity, and some of the funniest, most twisted humor this side of Archer.

It's been 2 years since it premiered, and a season and a half now under it's belt, and I'm pretty confident in saying this is absolutely the best animated tv show on the air right now. It slightly breaks my heart that I can't consider Adventure Time this anymore, because I still love it, but Gravity Falls just has it's act together on a completely different level that Adventure Time just isn't achieving right now.

Ok, so I've said all that, and very little about the story itself, so here's a small gist of it:

This series follows twin siblings Dipper and Mabel Pines during their summer vacation at their Grunkle (Great-Uncle) Stan's home/tourist trap called the Mystery Shack in Gravity Falls, Oregon. Pretty soon after they arrive, Dipper finds a mysterious journal in a hollowed-out tree that details a variety of weird and supernatural beings/events that have/are happening in the town. During the course of the summer, they encounter many of these things. Aside from this, there are plenty of other secrets in the town between a seemingly crazy old hillbilly, a psychopathic child with a similar journal and a oddly heated grudge with Stan, and even Grunkle Stan himself with an incredibly secretive room behind the Mystery Shack's vending machine.

And that's basically all I can really say without giving too much of it away. The show is very fast moving, and change is very prevalent, to the point that from late season 1 onwards, there's hardly anything resembling a status quo anymore.

On the basis of this, Alex Hirsch and the rest of the people behind this series have created one of the most compelling and addictive mythologies in recent memory. While the show is ostensibly a disney show, it's not afraid to get pretty dark at times, and in fact the 2nd season has been nothing but a downward spiral of increasingly higher stakes and darker plotlines presented by various reveals. The foreshadowing is very meticulous; it can and has made people very paranoid thanks to seemingly inconsequentially minor things coming back in a huge way, sometimes years down the line.

And also I might've just wanted an excuse to post this:

And the beavers.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is likely coming to PC

Halo 5: Forge (and Custom Games) is FREE on PC

Halo: Bad Blood - June 26th (Book)     Halo Infinite  - TBA (Game, PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#2 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

I've been rewatching the series this week, it's so good, and I might actually like it more than adventure time.

It's just such a nonsensical show and I love it. I'll have more to contribute after I'm done rewatching season 1.

#3 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

You think Season 1 is awesome, Season 2 is gonna blow your mind in ways you didn't think were possible.

We've just come to a midseason hiatus until the end of summer, so it's pretty much the perfect time to catch up, but for the initiated it's making the wait a living hell, especially since

Massive spoiler alert

Spoiler

"Not What He Seems" was just a great half hour of television. It pulled off something I didn't think was possible going into this episode: They not only pulled off a level of dramatic intensity I usually only see in works like Breaking Bad and Fargo, but sacrificed exactly None of the comedy. Joke-for-joke, this was probably the funniest episode in the show's history on top of being the most dramatic.

Spoiler

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

#4 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

While the show is ostensibly a disney show, it's not afraid to get pretty dark at times

People always say stuff like this, as if Disney shows never get dark. :P I remember their glory days. RIP, Gargoyles...

Anyway, yeah, Gravity Falls is a neat show. I started watching it during a pony hiatus - I think I've seen all of season 1, plus the shorts, but haven't started on S2 yet. I need to catch up some time.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

#5 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

People always say stuff like this, as if Disney shows never get dark. :P I remember their glory days. RIP, Gargoyles...

Anyway, yeah, Gravity Falls is a neat show. I started watching it during a pony hiatus - I think I've seen all of season 1, plus the shorts, but haven't started on S2 yet. I need to catch up some time.

And I honestly believe that's why phrases like that keep popping up, because shows like Gargoyles and this have become so rare nowadays.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#6 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

So I'm on Season 2 episode 3, and it's just all so good! You were right about it getting insanely awesome! I'm set to finish the first half of season 2 tomorrow. 

EDIT: And Neil Degrasse Tyson voices genius Waddles?! I love this!

#7 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

Golf War was where you stopped? Probably a good idea. 'Sock Opera' onwards is where you are no longer allowed off the ride.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#8 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

Golf War was where you stopped? Probably a good idea. 'Sock Opera' onwards is where you are no longer allowed off the ride.

I finished it last night, I can't wait for the rest! Know when it starts up again?

#9 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

I finished it last night, I can't wait for the rest! Know when it starts up again?

No concrete date yet, just a tentative 'Late Summer' timeframe. Now you join the wait. It's hard to believe that was only the midseason.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#10 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

No concrete date yet, just a tentative 'Late Summer' timeframe. Now y͓͎͙͍̫o͖͔̬̯̭̦͟ṷ̢ join t̼̙̜̠h̖͍̖ͅe̱̤̗͢ wait. It's hard to believe that was only t̼̙̜̠h̖͍̖ͅe̱̤̗͢ midseason.

At least w̼͈̖̲e̱̰̪̖͞ have 10 weeks of Game of Thrones soon, that'll help with t̼̙̜̠h̖͍̖ͅe̱̤̗͢  wait for sure.

#11 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:54 PM

Alex Hirsch is doing a Reddit AMA in-character as Bill Cipher: Linked here.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#12 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

Hiatus ending in exactly one week. Trailer for the midseason is up.

Even the name of the episode is a huge spoiler. When it first airs in US, it will be 30 minutes long, and presented without commercials (a problem faced by us who still watch live tv).

Spoiler

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#13 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

Back half of Season 2 trailer! omgomgomg so much is going on in this thing and why can't it be July 13th yet!?

Suffice to say, HUGE spoilers for the midseason finale are still in place.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#14 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:39 PM

Y'all making me revive and quad post. What's it take to convince some people to get into this show?

So suffice to say some huge spoilers about in this post.

Season 2B (presumably the final one at that) has been nothing short of absolutely amazing. I don't think there's been such an unbroken run of quality episodes of a TV show in a very long time (Beats out BrBa S5 by 2 episodes). So what's been going on in the never-ending summer of Dipper and Mabel Pines' visit to Gravity Falls? Quite a lot!

Spoiler

And like that, my username's namesake (as of tonight) has taken center stage!

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#15 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

Soooo... anyone know any reliable websites I can go to to watch everything up to this point? 'Cause I haven't actually had the chance to sit down and watch this whole thing in chronological order, yet.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#16 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

You might just try the normal sites people use for watching TV. One of them's bound to have it.

Meanwhile, getting in the spirit of Halloween, I give you my namesake's latest antics. Here's what he did to Nathan Fillion's character.

I'm not even joking, I don't how the hell this got past censor. It's that messed up.

Spoiler

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#17 Araius

Araius

Self-loather

• 106 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

I've gotta say, you piqued my interest in this and I finally got around to checking it out. I've been weary about most of the stuff they put out nowadays, but this is probably my favorite cartoon in recent years, aside from Adventure Time. Intelligent writing, wonderful art style, great animation, and charming characters. Haven't started the second season yet, but I watched all of the first.

Untitled-1.jpg

#18 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

Well, you (and all of you reading) have got some time to catch up. "Xpcveaoqfoxso II" aka Weirdmageddon Part 2: Escape from Reality doesn't air until November 23rd. There are still 2 more episodes to go after that one, at least according to the End Card Cipher that's been filling up for every episode of Season 2.

Meanwhile....

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#19 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

So it is now Confirmed that Gravity Falls will be ending with Weirdmageddon Pt. 3 (an hour long episode) Not cancelled. Ending. The story has allowed to reach its conclusion.

While I'm sad that it is ending, I'm am so, so, so very happy it's getting the conclusion it deserves.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#20 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,868 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:33 PM

Really? I'll have to catch up for that then. I wasn't super impressed with a few of the newer episodes, but I'm sure the grand finale will be worth watching.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users