• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#1 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

I couldn't see a topic for this, and I didn't want to clog up the one for Episode VII.

We've had a few shorts now to get a feel for the series, so what does everyone think so far?

I'm unsure. I enjoyed later series of the Clone Wars, and am willing to admit that there could be a Firefly feel to Rebels.

I know this is an unreasonable criticism of a show aimed at kids, but it seems a little too .... Kid friendly. I'm really hoping there is some death and darkness. And maybe a decent threat from the Stormtroopers.

While I'm a huge Mandalorian fan, I can't say I'm particularly enthusiastic about a "feisty" artistic graffiti artist". Seems a bit embarrassing really.

Then again I'm still angry at anything that's replacing the EU.

Anyway, what are people's thoughts on this series?
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

#2 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Member
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

First impressions make it seem like it'll be at least as good as the middle seasons of Clone Wars, but could actually be just as great as the last season or two. I want it to be good unlike some people, but I won't actually be watching XD to find out. It's a cancerous channel that kills any series that goes there.

#3 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hadn't even thought about it, but I wonder if it will be on Disney Channel in the UK? I have never met anyone who was prepared to pay the subscription required, so hopefully it'll end up on BBC or it will really bomb in this country.

#4 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

So, given tonight was the big premiere, has anyone seen it yet? Aside from a very few groan-inducing moments, I thought it was quite a good start. A far better start than Clone Wars got off to, that's for sure.

I don't really have the brain power left tonight to indulge in any subsequent observations, so what did you guys think of it?

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo Infinite  - TBA (PC/Xbox One)

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

-The Gravemind (Halo 3, 2007)

#5 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:12 AM

I'm still waiting for it to hit Google Play in the UK so I can watch it without having to sign up for a paid TV service. My opinions have improved since my original grumpy post, particularly since every view is entirely positive, I can't stop seeing Firefly parallels and I really enjoyed A New Dawn. 

I hope we see a more traditional, less pacifistic Mandalore in later episodes, it would be a good Sabine storyline and would undo some of the damage done by the Clone Wars' misstep.

My main remaining worry is that we might see Ezra in Episode 7, which would make me sad as I want him to get eaten by a space slug sooner rather than later. But maybe that's the point, and he'll grow as a character over the course of the show. I suppose I thought the same about Ahsoka after the Clone Wars movie and she grew into a great character.

#6 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

I'm still waiting for it to hit Google Play in the UK so I can watch it without having to sign up for a paid TV service. My opinions have improved since my original grumpy post, particularly since every view is entirely positive, I can't stop seeing Firefly parallels and I really enjoyed A New Dawn. 

I hope we see a more traditional, less pacifistic Mandalore in later episodes, it would be a good Sabine storyline and would undo some of the damage done by the Clone Wars' misstep.

My main remaining worry is that we might see Ezra in Episode 7, which would make me sad as I want him to get eaten by a space slug sooner rather than later. But maybe that's the point, and he'll grow as a character over the course of the show. I suppose I thought the same about Ahsoka after the Clone Wars movie and she grew into a great character.

I was almost completely sold on Ezra after the pilot, but the rest of the Ghost crew clicked within seconds of their first interactions, especially Kanaan and Hera. They were almost channeling Mal and Zoe.

Also the big showoff at the end when Kanaan 'let everyone in on the secret' should've been a little cheesy, but it was not only cool, but somewhat powerful as well. Quoting someone else's opinion, 'It's like the entire galaxy is pausing to pay its respects' and really gave off the feeling of awe after seeing a Jedi after the horrible events that lead to their near destruction.

"Was that your first time seeing a Jedi?"

*kicks*

Also the bit where I completely lost it:

Spoiler

But more importantly, This felt like OT Star Wars sooooo much. Can't wait to see where this series goes.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

"Resignation is my virtue. Like water, I ebb and flow. Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved...but you imposed."

#7 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

This really hurts me to say.

After actually, you know, watching the episode I have warmed to Ezra.

Which is kind of a relief as he is the only one I have as a minifigure.

Really good though, I will be watching this.

#8 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:43 AM

It was much better than I anticipated, I'll keep an eye on it.

#9 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:54 AM

I did feel that the one line about the Force was a bit *ahem* forced, but maybe that was deliberate given Kanan and his limited training.

#10 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

I did feel that the one line about the Force was a bit *ahem* forced, but maybe that was deliberate given Kanan and his limited training.

Yeah, a few lines were a bit corny, but hey, it's Star Wars ... 

Also the reveal of the Jedi was a bit stretched, but at the same time, it was quite clear it was to show that they weren't quite over yet.

Though the fact they really did brought back the feel of the original trilogy and set it in the Empire era, I'm sold.

#11 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

All in all I am buzzing, really looking forward to the next episode. And now I really want to get the Lego Ghost.

#12 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

Spoiler

Language, dude.

-Loki

Whoops. Got a bit excited after that ep.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#13 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

So far this show is a lot less kid focused than I expected. Enjoying it a lot, desperately want all the associated Lego sets.

#14 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:49 AM

So far this show is a lot less kid focused than I expected. Enjoying it a lot, desperately want all the associated Lego sets.

I made of habit of not trusting any of the trailers. The Clone Wars had a habit of playing up the kid friendliness in the previews too, and with the same production crew, I wasn't fooled for a second.

That being said, I see Rebels as having more potential than Clone Wars simply because its not beholden to any established characters. No more forgone conclusions. Everyone is fair game this time around.

Also has anyone seen the design for Ezra's eventual lightsaber? It took a little getting used to, but it seems to be ridiculously ingenious design.

Disguised as a blaster with the added bonus of actually functioning like a blaster.

EDIT: 2 extra PSAs: episode 3 'Droids in Distress' is free on Itunes atm, and the pilot (eps 1 and 2) will be re-airing on ABC in US on Oct. 26th with an extra scene including Darth Vader. They declined to confirm in JEJ or Matt Sloan is voicing.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#15 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

Darth Vader? I was hoping he wouldn't show up for a couple of series. It takes away from the new characters. Much as I enjoyed Droids in Distress I wasn't a fan of cameos so early on.

#16 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:34 AM

So it's been confirmed that James Earl Jones will indeed be voicing Vader when he shows up in Rebels: Source

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#17 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:49 AM

Doesn't that mean Vader will appear in person before the Inquisitor does?

I hope he doesn't really overshadow the guy before he even shows up.

#18 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

Spoiler

TL;DR Welp. New ep got serious real fast. Jason Isaacs is killing it as the Inquisitor.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

#19 Sephsekla

Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 717 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:05 AM

Already one of my favourite star wars things, up there with the original trilogy and kotor. Really dark episode compared to those promos, The Inquisitor is perfect.

#20 Spark

Spark

• Nova Member
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Just a PSA: Tonight's ep is the last one until January 5th.

With that said...

Spoiler

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Wars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users