NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

THE WORLD: Flat or Round?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

Poll: "Ze world is round like ze apple." "Eet is flat like ze panca-ake!" (51 member(s) have cast votes)

READ THE POST BEFORE VOTING - Should the world (the mortal realm) of Wylfgard be flat or round?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#41 Surtur

Surtur

King of the Fire and Flames

• Nova Member
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (The Arbiter @ Apr 18 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I say just go with flat, and don't question where volcanoes get magma. Or how far you can dig.

Exactly, now lets all have some of that delicous cake Arby made! *on nom nom* tongue.gif

Mmm, that was good. But anyways, I like the idea of it being flat. It gives more options and oppertunities.

#42 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:53 AM

How about a giant terraformed shell, placed high above the earth with a stone arm of the gods holding it up... Like an entire chunk of the world was just elevated by a giant hand. The rest of the round earth was thrown into chaos because an evil titan shoved the gods out of the way to make room for his foul children. So the gods shoved aportion of the world high above the titan's realm, and placed golden warriors made of pure sunfire at the base of the arm to keep the titan's children from attacking theirs. And in the middle of this raised portion is a tall, tall, steep mountain from which all the waters of the sea pour down from in a rushing torrent of waves that eventually spill off the side of the world into the realm of the titan's children. And it is believed that the gods live deep within this ocean and cloud surrounded mountain; thus making dwarves into pious beings akin to monks, simply trying to emulate the ways of the gods.

Fwa-bam. Say no to that. I dare you. tongue.gif

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#43 Deceptus

Deceptus

Unwashed Villager

• 818 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:10 AM

placed high above the earth with a stone arm of the gods holding it up...

<Somewhere above>
-Gosh, I have to scratch my back somewhat... that's better.
<Meanwhile on the Fox News>
-We just had an earthquake of the century.

#44 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE (Deceptus @ Apr 19 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<Somewhere above>
-Gosh, I have to scratch my back somewhat... that's better.
<Meanwhile on the Fox News>
-We just had an earthquake of the century.

Lol. tongue.gif

Osnap, those sunfire warriors can be the bestest fighters after they die... Like, one who loves to fight, and has earned the notice of the gods is immortalized in sunfire armor (think otogi armor with a Enomeg helmet twist) and granted leave (or cursed) to fight for all eternity.

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#45 Lord Hideous

Lord Hideous

Rookie

• 39 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

Flat ftw. I think it would be a little more unique personally, and it allows for some different and interesting possibilities for the edges of the world. I just think it would make it more interesting.

#46 classified

classified

classified

• Nova Member
  • 604 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Hurricane @ Apr 19 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about a giant terraformed shell, placed high above the earth with a stone arm of the gods holding it up... Like an entire chunk of the world was just elevated by a giant hand. The rest of the round earth was thrown into chaos because an evil titan shoved the gods out of the way to make room for his foul children. So the gods shoved a portion of the world high above the titan's realm, and placed golden warriors made of pure sunfire at the base of the arm to keep the titan's children from attacking theirs. And in the middle of this raised portion is a tall, tall, steep mountain from which all the waters of the sea pour down from in a rushing torrent of waves that eventually spill off the side of the world into the realm of the titan's children. And it is believed that the gods live deep within this ocean and cloud surrounded mountain; thus making dwarves into pious beings akin to monks, simply trying to emulate the ways of the gods.

Fwa-bam. Say no to that. I dare you. tongue.gif

Ya know I vote for this. This is Uber epic win.
Posted Image

#47 Ross Boutana

Ross Boutana

So fragile, yet so devious...

• 296 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

Flat.

Think Terry Goodkind.
Voilą! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me V.

#48 Gryphon

Gryphon

Legionnaire

• Nova Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:00 AM

I like the contact lens idea, but with more land mass on the concave portion of the contact lens, as if someone had taken an apple corer and cut out a cone shape. Like this quick Paint work shows:

This way, you can have the surface of the lens be where people live, and above them will be the gods...but this way you'll still be able to have a "hell" underneath them, without messing around with planes. As for digging too far in, at the vertex of the cone would be some ultrapowerful demon overlord or something, and if you go out the sides of the cone, well, you can say that hell has its own atmosphere (just like the surface has that light blue thing), except it's sulfuric yellow.

And to cover all angles, if you go over the edge of the earth, you're lost forever. Kind of like a black hole, only inside out. The further you get away from the edge, the more you lose sense of gravity, time, and space, until a point of no return, say, about a mile away from the edge, where there's no floating water, no crumbling rock, nothing, just emptiness. That's a pretty cool idea, if I may say so myself.
-Gryph

Currently reading: Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, and 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Currently building: A MOC based on the new Space Police sets. Currently drawing: a dwarf! They're fun... Currently playing: Cortex Command and Dragon Age Currently watching: Just finished Clash of the Titans. Looking forward to Prince of Persia. Currently writing: Some world-building stuff for my stories.

#49 classified

classified

classified

• Nova Member
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:12 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah but Hurricanes is better.
Posted Image

#50 Gryphon

Gryphon

Legionnaire

• Nova Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (classy @ Apr 20 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah but Hurricanes is better.

Hmm...it is awesome, but why save the wonders and joys of falling off the edge of the world, for only gods and sunfire warriors?
-Gryph

Currently reading: Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, and 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Currently building: A MOC based on the new Space Police sets. Currently drawing: a dwarf! They're fun... Currently playing: Cortex Command and Dragon Age Currently watching: Just finished Clash of the Titans. Looking forward to Prince of Persia. Currently writing: Some world-building stuff for my stories.

#51 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE (Gryphon @ Apr 20 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, wow. Got it all laid out, huh? tongue.gif

Well, I guess it's basically decided that it's going to be flat.

GOOD! tongue.gif I wanted it flat anyway, but Justin and I just couldn't really decide. So after this topic got us talking about it, we've decided (and luckily by the time we were done talking about it the votes were already in favor of flat, and they are even more now), and we'll probably start laying out the world, what happens if you go over over the hedge, where the other realms are positioned and how exactly they work, maps of all this stuff, and... stuff. That is, if Justin ever gets enough freaking time to work on Wylfgard before the summer. If not, I guess we'll just do all that over the summer.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#52 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (MaverickWerewolf @ Apr 20 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um, wow. Got it all laid out, huh? tongue.gif

Well, I guess it's basically decided that it's going to be flat.

GOOD! tongue.gif I wanted it flat anyway, but Justin and I just couldn't really decide. So after this topic got us talking about it, we've decided (and luckily by the time we were done talking about it the votes were already in favor of flat, and they are even more now), and we'll probably start laying out the world, what happens if you go over over the hedge, where the other realms are positioned and how exactly they work, maps of all this stuff, and... stuff. That is, if Justin ever gets enough freaking time to work on Wylfgard before the summer. If not, I guess we'll just do all that over the summer.

READ MY IDEA DOSH GAMMIT!!! IT'S PURE EPICNESS!!!

#53 classified

classified

classified

• Nova Member
  • 604 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Hurricane @ Apr 20 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
READ MY IDEA DOSH GAMMIT!!! IT'S PURE EPICNESS!!!

SECONDED.

@Gryphon; Maybe others could slip through/past the Sunfire Warriors. *Shrug* Hurricane?
Posted Image

#54 Rogue-Brigade

Rogue-Brigade

Helvetios

• 713 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

In my honest opinion, I prefer fantasy realms to be flat. It leaves a science element (That I absolutely detest in fantasy) out of the picture. Also, the mere novelty of falling off the edge is too much to pass up! And who says you can't have horizons with a flat world? It's merely where the sky meets the land, regardless of the shape of the land. And it also opens up the form of "planes" used in Norse mythology, which is in-and-of-itself considered freaking amazing in my opinion...

Edit: Aah... It appears Wolfy has already come to a conclusion about 3 posts back. *sigh* The masterminds of this world are always late to their opinions...

Edited by Rouge-Brigade, 20 April 2009 - 01:09 PM.

Posted Image

#55 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (classy @ Apr 20 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SECONDED.

@Gryphon; Maybe others could slip through/past the Sunfire Warriors. *Shrug* Hurricane?

Totally possible/epip. wink.gif

#56 Gryphon

Gryphon

Legionnaire

• Nova Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE (Hurricane @ Apr 20 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Totally possible/epip. wink.gif

You know what makes your idea awesome though? The fact that there is a god holding up the world, like Atlas, or the dwarves from some myth I once read...
-Gryph

#57 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

Ugh, having a flat would would make it harder to live. The seasons would be out of order, the laws of gravity will change, the atmosphere will be thiner in select parts, travel would be a FILTHY WHORE, war with the bottom side of the would be hell, living on the top it would be hot as hell. The bottom half would be cold as god only knows. Satellite and space travel would take forever to discover. Space elevators would be an impossibility. Lets see, with the world being flat, I'm sure the core of the planet would be all kinds of F'd up, actually, I don't think life would be sustainable in a flat world.

gdV21HZ.gif

#58 Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric

It's pretty much the most metal thing ever.

• Nova Member
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (Klaykid @ May 26 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ugh, having a flat would would make it harder to live. The seasons would be out of order, the laws of gravity will change, the atmosphere will be thiner in select parts, travel would be a FILTHY WHORE, war with the bottom side of the would be hell, living on the top it would be hot as hell. The bottom half would be cold as god only knows. Satellite and space travel would take forever to discover. Space elevators would be an impossibility. Lets see, with the world being flat, I'm sure the core of the planet would be all kinds of F'd up, actually, I don't think life would be sustainable in a flat world.

PLEASE tell me you're speaking generally and not in the context of this topic.

ponyavatar.jpg

#59 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Dennis Eliot @ May 26 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PLEASE tell me you're speaking generally and not in the context of this topic.

I was, of course I meant that post to come in two parts. Practicality, and fantasy. But, alas! I have forgotten all about the fantasy aspects I had in mind. Have I offended you in any way? (I hate how it's almost impossible to detect voice tone on the internet).

Edit: Then again, I think I'm clueless on what the topic is generally about besides the uses of a flat or round planet.

Edited by Klaykid, 26 May 2009 - 11:25 AM.

gdV21HZ.gif

#60 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (Klaykid @ May 26 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was, of course I meant that post to come in two parts. Practicality, and fantasy. But, alas! I have forgotten all about the fantasy aspects I had in mind. Have I offended you in any way? (I hate how it's almost impossible to detect voice tone on the internet).

Edit: Then again, I think I'm clueless on what the topic is generally about besides the uses of a flat or round planet.

They probably use this. tongue.gif

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users