NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

THE WORLD: Flat or Round?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

Poll: "Ze world is round like ze apple." "Eet is flat like ze panca-ake!" (51 member(s) have cast votes)

READ THE POST BEFORE VOTING - Should the world (the mortal realm) of Wylfgard be flat or round?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#21 Agamemnon

Agamemnon

Don't care

• Nova Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (MaverickWerewolf @ Apr 17 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although like Aggy said, it doesn't have to be perfectly flat or perfectly round; it could be a flat-ish surface that's kind of rounded so that it still has a bit of a horizon but also still has an edge. Hmm.

Shaped like a contact lens? Because then you get a horizon and "OH CRAP WE'RE FALLING OFF THE EDGE OF THE WORLD" moments. happy.gif

What would be interesting too is maybe have some kind of underworld be on the underside of the "lens"?

#22 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:38 AM

How about being totally unoriginal and have them think the world is flat, and have it be round anyways. tongue.gif

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#23 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:40 AM

Flat for awesome. In a touch of irony, you could have the scientists who know it is flat getting burned by the crazy ignorant yobs that think it is round.

#24 Evil Eye Guy

Evil Eye Guy

Too legit to quit

• 1,537 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

I like flat. I would just like to understand what becomes of whatever the misfortune of falling off.

Then again, the ancients thought the Earth was round, and considering Wylfgard is pretty heavily inspired by it...

In a world built sky-scraper over slum; the city is about to go UNDER

|D i v i s i o N|

A Cyberpunk Text-Adventure

#25 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (Agamemnon @ Apr 17 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shaped like a contact lens? Because then you get a horizon and "OH CRAP WE'RE FALLING OFF THE EDGE OF THE WORLD" moments. happy.gif

Totally.

QUOTE (Falcon-Elite0 @ Apr 17 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Flat for awesome. In a touch of irony, you could have the scientists who know it is flat getting burned by the crazy ignorant yobs that think it is round.

*points* GOLDY IN A WYLFGARD THREAD! ohmy.gif REJOICE! And yes, I'm being serious. I've finally gotten Goldy to post in the Wylfgard board. biggrin.gif
And yes, he did it again. I totally agree, Goldy. That'd be awesome. tongue.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#26 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

Y'know Wolfy, I remember asking a question like this on Q&N once. Hmmm...

Well, Maybe everyone believes the world is flat so much that it actually become flat biggrin.gif, like Discworld, only minus the Elephants and Turtle...And having Mount Olympus in the centre will make it resemble a thumb-tack, so that's cool too.

You could make belief like this powerful force such that there are seasons because people believe there's suppose to be seasons. Again, Discworld saves the day tongue.gif

Besides, everyone knows the world can't be round *Pffft* How else do we stand on it? It's not as if some kind of invisible force field, like, keeps us stuck to the ground or anything. No, that's just silly tongue.gif

Edited by Richard, 17 April 2009 - 07:10 AM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#27 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:09 AM

They knew it wasn't flat. There's this book that debunks all these "commonly-known facts", but I don't have it with me.

giphy.gif

#28 MS_DOS

MS_DOS

You're going to die anyway, so let me kill you.

• Banned
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Why not have the flat Earth have a big hole in the middle where the sun sits? The earth will rotate, to keep the day/night cycle. That way both sides can be inhabited, but neither can reach the other...

The underworld could be in the middle. Or in the sun.

I'm still pro-flat.
Posted Image

#29 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

Pro-Flat as well. The idea of being able to fall of the world is so majestic and beautiful.

giphy.gif

#30 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Member
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

An adiotional flat fantasy world: Narnia.
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#31 Xero

Xero

Quad Damage

• Nova Member
  • 4,072 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (The Arbiter @ Apr 17 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pro-Flat as well. The idea of being able to fall of the world is so majestic and beautiful.

#32 MS_DOS

MS_DOS

You're going to die anyway, so let me kill you.

• Banned
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (The Arbiter @ Apr 17 2009, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Nope, still can't see you in the lens. I'll move back a bit".

"Wow, it's a really good view from Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!"

tongue.gif

Edited by William Murderdos, 17 April 2009 - 07:52 AM.

Posted Image

#33 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

biggrin.gif

Alright, it's true he didn't invent the flat world, but he does a really good take on it smile.gif

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#34 Deceptus

Deceptus

Unwashed Villager

• 818 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:58 AM

"Wow, it's a really good view from Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!"

But wait. No sound in cosmos, right? So where's the line between this Earth and cosmos if you can fall? Because you don't have sky under the disk... I'm not quite sure how it works.

#35 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Deceptus @ Apr 17 2009, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But wait. No sound in cosmos, right? So where's the line between this Earth and cosmos if you can fall? Because you don't have sky under the disk... I'm not quite sure how it works.

There's always an old man with a long beard near the edge, philosophizing. If it's flat, what's directly underneath? Is there an underneath? It's another realm perhaps, most likely the immortal realm? But then could one just reach under and grab it? Could one keep digging and come out into the other realm?

I always like to believe that if you keep digging, you fall forever. Where the sidewalk ends, you know? But that still leaves epic volcanoes...

So, the world is flat, but only so flat in that it's a deep grid. So...then it's not flat. It's actually a cube.

Diagram! (Based into a cake for extra science...ness)

giphy.gif

#36 classified

classified

classified

• Nova Member
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

I think it makes your fantasy world a lot better if there is a scientific explanation for everything, even if it is magic.

Sooo, still pulling a Treebeard, not really sure yet.
Posted Image

#37 Ambad

Ambad

Oh, and look, he's a dragon now... with... glasses?

• Nova Member
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

What about a half bagel shape? Horizon exists when traveling from the inner are to the outer area, and it has a flat bottom "under-realm"...

Or better yet, a tire shape. Life exists on the outer surface, with the hollow, inner surface being that darker, evil place...

*insert meaningless song lyrics and/or hilarious gif here*

#38 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (KOBOLD!!!! @ Apr 17 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or better yet, a tire shape. Life exists on the outer surface, with the hollow, inner surface being that darker, evil place...

*CoughHalocough*

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#39 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

I say flat. Just suggesting, but you could make it like if you go off the edge it leads you to some sort of mystical place. I dunno, maybe a power source like the core of the Earth, that Dragon thing, the gods, whatever takes your fancy.

Plus, flat makes it seem just that bit more unique.

#40 The Arbiter

The Arbiter

Arby

• Nova Member
  • 10,738 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:52 AM

Well, I say just go with flat, and don't question where volcanoes get magma. Or how far you can dig.

giphy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users