NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Hey, I didn't see one...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 RunandSingandCheer

RunandSingandCheer

Just Pom Poms

• -26 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:58 AM

I've been visiting as a guest for a while now, and from what I have read, I really like you 'wylfgard' stuff. As a total nerd, I can appreciate the non cliqueness of the idea. Good job girl! You rock! smile.gif

NOOBAMA

Would you let a Kid with 2 years experience do your dental Work? Run a flourishing Business? Drive a sports Car?
Operate on a loved one? No? Then why let him Run a Country? Beat Obama. Vote McCain Palin.

#2 Scorchy

Scorchy

Darkness falls; here comes the rain.

• Nova Member
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:38 AM

Heh, cool. Wolfy'll like that. She's been trying to spark up intrest in Wylfgard again... heh. Cool to see you joined though biggrin.gif Welcome to SSLF wink.gif

-Scorchy-

"Many people have died for their beliefs; it's actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe." Brom (Eragon pg.197)

#3 RunandSingandCheer

RunandSingandCheer

Just Pom Poms

• -26 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:01 AM

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be gllad too!

NOOBAMA

Would you let a Kid with 2 years experience do your dental Work? Run a flourishing Business? Drive a sports Car?
Operate on a loved one? No? Then why let him Run a Country? Beat Obama. Vote McCain Palin.

#4 Scorchy

Scorchy

• Nova Member
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:04 AM

I guess you know about the series of Novels she's writting?

-Scorchy-

"Many people have died for their beliefs; it's actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe." Brom (Eragon pg.197)

#5 RunandSingandCheer

RunandSingandCheer

Just Pom Poms

• -26 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE (Scorchy @ Sep 11 2008, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess you know about the series of Novels she's writting?

...Kinda? There's mostly only fan stuff here though. Not much stuff from her. But I like the concepts.

NOOBAMA

#6 Scorchy

Scorchy

• Nova Member
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE (RunandSingandCheer @ Sep 11 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Kinda? There's mostly only fan stuff here though. Not much stuff from her. But I like the concepts.

No, she's writting a series of novels about Wylfgard. She wants to sell them, which is why there not up here. But yeah, plenty of the fan stuff's pretty good. I made one, but then Scorp and Wolfy changed Wylfgard, (It's not had a name for nearly, 5 years I think. Heh) so I didn't carry on with it. But she's restarted the novel she's writting now so many times, I keep elling her he could've finished the series by now tongue.gif

-Scorchy-

#7 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (RunandSingandCheer @ Sep 11 2008, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been visiting as a guest for a while now, and from what I have read, I really like you 'wylfgard' stuff. As a total nerd, I can appreciate the non cliqueness of the idea. Good job girl! You rock! smile.gif

Thanks! biggrin.gif It's always great for me to see another person interested in Wylfgard; I'm glad to see you decided to sign up for an account. As Scorchy said, welcome to SSLF. smile.gif

QUOTE (Scorchy @ Sep 11 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But she's restarted the novel she's writting now so many times, I keep elling her he could've finished the series by now tongue.gif

When I plan to make the series around at least eight to ten books or more? No, I don't think I could've finished it yet. 'Sides, a large aspect of writing is revision, so as to improve all aspects of the story, including general quality. You'd be amazed how much (at least, I think so) my writing skills have improved over just the past few months. The old stories I used to post here really do feel old now, when I go back and look at them. Heh.

Anyway, yes, I'm hoping to post a few short stories here on the forums sometime, just to keep up interest while we work on the Wylfgard site and other info, such as archive posts. Life's been busy for myself and my siblings lately, of course, so none of us have had much time at all to work on these sort of things... mostly I've been concentrating on working on the first novel in Wylfgard's main book series (the one Scorchy was talking about), which is called, Wylfgard - The Legend of the Five. The first novel's working title is (as it has been for quite some time now) The Tribes of War, but I plan to rename it before I publish it.

The first novel takes place at the very beginning of the war between the Empire and the North that has been threatening to happen for quite some time. It is told from many points of view to give the reader an idea of the personalities, opinions, and actions of several of the different characters in the story, including both the protagonist and his primary allies, and the antagonist and his primary allies. I'm trying my best to not only use the different points of view to build up many different characters in more unique ways than simply spelling out their personalities, but also to keep the novel interesting and let the reader know what everyone is doing at what point in time.
The main protagonist, however, is the Imperial captain Thomas Mitchell, whose part in the war makes him fall into a personal position he never believed he would find himself in, and he ends up in the middle of a mystery he must solve to protect his own life, and possibly the lives of many others, including those close to him... it is a mystery that could change his life forever - and not for the better.
Before you begin to wonder, no, Tom is certainly no great hero with a destiny to save humanity or somesuch. I wouldn't dare be that cliche, since avoiding cliches and returning to the classical roots of high fantasy is my goal here. Heh.

Of course, I could delve much deeper into the story and the characters, but I suppose I won't right now. tongue.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#8 Scorchy

Scorchy

• Nova Member
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (Werewolf @ Sep 11 2008, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I plan to make the series around at least eight to ten books or more? No, I don't think I could've finished it yet. 'Sides, a large aspect of writing is revision, so as to improve all aspects of the story, including general quality. You'd be amazed how much (at least, I think so) my writing skills have improved over just the past few months. The old stories I used to post here really do feel old now, when I go back and look at them. Heh.

Well, nearly tongue.gif No, I know, I do it with a lot of my stories, and I'm learing to do it more for English Class, in which we keep having to revise everything. Well, I always liked the little bits you used to send me. The one before last with Mcshane was really good biggrin.gif

-Scorchy-

#9 Red Viper

Red Viper

...In Progress...

• Nova Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:14 AM

Well it is good to see another wylfgard fan.
TO WOLF-When will you answer my question.

#10 Horatio

Horatio

El Taco de Muertos

• Nova Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:35 AM

I too am very interested in Wylfgard. Its an awesome world you're creating and I love the incorporation of historical aspects. Plus its pretty easy to make Imperial soldiers with Lego =)
"This one's for distance, and FOR GLORY!" -Adam Savage

L'chaim!

#11 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

It's good how many fans Wylfgard already has. It is a great story and all that. I'm glad to see another fan out there. It should get Wolfy wanting to work really hard on her book. tongue.gif
And get the website up... *hint hint* Plz? tongue.gif

#12 Teh Brutus

Teh Brutus

Member #44

• 141 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (RunandSingandCheer @ Sep 11 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean cliche-ness, right? tongue.gif Good to see another Wylfguard fan.

But, I do see some un-original stuff in Wylfguard. For instance, the main faction is an empire, a faction which is quite common in fantasy. Another thing is that the main character, Tom, wields two swords. Also... well, I've said enough. The last thing I would want to do is diminish the popularity of a potentially awesome book series. The most original idea I've seen so far is the series' centralization of werewolves. A very good plan for the series. Keep it up! happy.gif

#13 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (The Brute @ Sep 11 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean cliche-ness, right? tongue.gif Good to see another Wylfguard fan.

But, I do see some un-original stuff in Wylfguard. For instance, the main faction is an empire, a faction which is quite common in fantasy. Another thing is that the main character, Tom, wields two swords. Also... well, I've said enough. The last thing I would want to do is diminish the popularity of a potentially awesome book series. The most original idea I've seen so far is the series' centralization of werewolves. A very good plan for the series. Keep it up! happy.gif

You do mean Wylfgard, don't you? tongue.gif

#14 Teh Brutus

Teh Brutus

Member #44

• 141 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Bolt @ Sep 11 2008, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do mean Wylfgard, don't you, sucker? tongue.gif

WHATCHOO TALKIN BOUT SUCKA?

Fantasy names. Gotta love 'em. tongue.gif

Edited by The Brute, 11 September 2008 - 09:53 AM.

#15 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Red Viper@ @ Sep 11 2008, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TO WOLF-When will you answer my question.

Drat. I forgot to answer that. wacko.gif I'll do it as soon as I can.

QUOTE (Horatio @ Sep 11 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too am very interested in Wylfgard. Its an awesome world you're creating and I love the incorporation of historical aspects. Plus its pretty easy to make Imperial soldiers with Lego =)

I'm really enjoying incorporating history and a decent amount of realism into Wylfgard, so I'm glad the fans enjoy that aspect, too. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Lightning Bolt @ Sep 11 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's good how many fans Wylfgard already has. It is a great story and all that. I'm glad to see another fan out there. It should get Wolfy wanting to work really hard on her book. tongue.gif
And get the website up... *hint hint* Plz? tongue.gif

Yes, it is. I think I love this topic. tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Yep, we're working on the site, don't worry. I think we've come up with a satsifactory design; all we need to do is make it (which is gonna be a bit complicated).

QUOTE (The Brute @ Sep 11 2008, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, but the reason it is common is because, in the medieval and ancient times, empires were a common type of government. Also, we're not trying to totally reinvent fantasy; this is our take on the classic roots of high fantasy. We're combining classic mythology with aspects of classic fantasy, making it more in-depth, realistic, and classical, and writing stories, history, and information about it.

As for Tom wielding two swords... *shrug* That's my personal preference for his character, just as it is the character's personal preference.
Tom dual-wielding is simply an aspect of his personality: he is ambidextrous, overconfident, hotheaded, and often rather reckless. Thus, wielding two swords simply fits him: he believes that taking advantage of the ambidexterity he has mastered will give him an edge in battle, and he finds shields to be awkward and bulky. I find that him wielding two weapons at once seems to display several aspects of his personality, and I simply find it fitting. In addition to that, Tom doesn't always dual-wield - he knows when it's not smart to do it. He also carries a dagger for very close-quarters or in tight spaces, and sometimes he also carries a bow.
Besides, I've made sure that dual-wielding isn't even half as commonplace as it is in most fantasy worlds. The large armies, such as the Imperial Legion, primarily use spears, just as real soldiers did in Greece, Rome, and the medieval ages, whereas the nobles are primarily the ones that use swords, for they can actually afford them. Also, the other protagonists in the story use a variety of weapons, including a single sword (or a crossbow or sword and shield, and he keeps a dagger handy), a longbow (and he keeps a claymore for melee, along with a dagger just in case), a sword and shield (and she also carries a knife\dagger since they are useful in nearly countless ways, and a bow), an axe and small shield (and he also keeps a crossbow and knife), a staff (and he also keeps a knife and bow), and a scimitar (and he also carries many daggers, which he also uses as ranged weapons; throwing daggers, in other words). In case you didn't notice, this is the typical weaponry of my main party characters: the first list is McShane's, the second is Magnus's, the third is Maegan's, the fourth is Jhyvarr's, the third is Surandil's, and the last is Kye's. Heh.
As you can see, lately, I've been rethinking the armaments of my characters. I didn't mean to go off on a tangent like that, but lately I've been considering giving my characters more of a variety of weapons, since it's more practical for various situations, as long as they can still believably carry all of it. tongue.gif

Potentially awesome, huh? Thanks. tongue.gif And, yes, I like having a different central aspect than most fantasy stories... and since werewolves are often underrated today in comparison of other things (don't talk about them here), that makes it all the more fun to do. Also the fact that werewolves are awesome... tongue.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#16 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (Werewolf @ Sep 11 2008, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it is. I think I love this topic. tongue.gif biggrin.gif
Yep, we're working on the site, don't worry. I think we've come up with a satsifactory design; all we need to do is make it (which is gonna be a bit complicated).

If this topic makes you want to write more of the book, then I love it too. tongue.gif
Well I hope you get it up soon. You know how many people are waiting... or do you?

And about Tom wielding dual swords, it rocks that way. I can't imagine him using them any other way. tongue.gif Plus that's How Nathan Algren used them in The Last Samurai. tongue.gif

#17 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,183 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

*ahem*

It looks like this has now become more of a Wylfgard Q&A topic than the actual one, so...

When can we expect the site to be up/some short-stories by you?

lWZ8e6F.png

#18 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Bolt @ Sep 11 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this topic makes you want to write more of the book, then I love it too. tongue.gif
Well I hope you get it up soon. You know how many people are waiting... or do you?

And about Tom wielding dual swords, it rocks that way. I can't imagine him using them any other way. tongue.gif Plus that's How Nathan Algren used them in The Last Samurai. tongue.gif

Heh. tongue.gif
Maybe I don't. Lately I've thought Wylfgard was uninteresting to most people, except for a handful of members here, and I was highly disappointed. Heh.

Exactly. If he didn't dual-wield, he simply wouldn't be Tom anymore. It's his personality.

QUOTE (Vorgain @ Sep 11 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks like this has now become more of a Wylfgard Q&A topic than the actual one, so...

When can we expect the site to be up/some short-stories by you?

Eheh... yeah, I never got around to posting my answers there. I think I'll go work on that...

I have no idea. Lately, as I said, everything in this household has been crazily busy and we can barely get anything straight at all, but we're working on 'settling in,' and Justin and I are again discussing how we're going to draw the design, make the buttons, etc., and... well, I don't know when, really. All I can say is that, rest assured, we're working on it. wink.gif
As for short stories, again, I don't know. I have a lot of ideas rattling around in my head for short stories, and I've even started writing a few, but lately I've been trying to get the first LotF novel straight, which is complicated at the moment (it's a very long story). So, again, I don't really know. Sorry. good.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#19 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,183 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Werewolf @ Sep 11 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have no idea. Lately, as I said, everything in this household has been crazily busy and we can barely get anything straight at all, but we're working on 'settling in,' and Justin and I are again discussing how we're going to draw the design, make the buttons, etc., and... well, I don't know when, really. All I can say is that, rest assured, we're working on it. wink.gif
As for short stories, again, I don't know. I have a lot of ideas rattling around in my head for short stories, and I've even started writing a few, but lately I've been trying to get the first LotF novel straight, which is complicated at the moment (it's a very long story). So, again, I don't really know. Sorry. good.gif

Okay - just wondering.
And, while we're on "when will you..." questions: when'll you reply, Gorramit?

lWZ8e6F.png

#20 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Vorgain @ Sep 11 2008, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And, while we're on "when will you..." questions: when'll you reply, Gorramit?

Hey, like I said, it's been a madhouse over here. Trust me, you have absolutely no idea. In fact, the last few weeks have been quite miserable for me, but anyway...
I'll reply whenever I find time, which I have no idea when that is, okay? We haven't had any time to do what we want to do lately, any of us, so whenever I start getting a decent amount of free time, I'll start doing more stuff on the forums again.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users