NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

The Wylfgard Q&A Topic

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
288 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:59 AM

BEFORE YOU ASK ANY QUESTIONS, be sure to check the Wylfgard Lore Archive and the FAQ, and see if your question(s) are answered there.

In this topic, you may ask questions about Wylfgard, and I (and Scorpy, if he wants to) will answer them.
However, please try to keep geography-related questions to a minimum, as the map for the mortal realm of Wylfgard is still being created.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

Ah, I wished to ask a question or two. tongue.gif

How many years before the happenings of the first novel were all six of the vampires living?

#3 Archon

Archon

Sith'ari

• Nova Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:08 AM

Let's see! I just want to make sure The Emperor of the East may just be a Dragon Shifter? (JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE).
BTW, Nice job Wolfy, you rock!

Posted Image
Gamertag: Archonize

#4 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Bolt @ Apr 9 2008, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many years before the happenings of the first novel were all six of the vampires living?

No one knows how many are still living, except the three mentioned in the Archive. The other died or disappeared at unknown times, centuries ago.

QUOTE (Archon @ Apr 9 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let's see! I just want to make sure The Emperor of the East may just be a Dragon Shifter? (JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE).
BTW, Nice job Wolfy, you rock!

He might, yes, but the source of his powers are entirely unknown, and he might not have any relation to the Shifters. Also, he is the only one in existence known to have them.
Thanks, Archy! biggrin.gif

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#5 Koth

Koth

Steven, meet the floor. Floor, meet Steven.

• Nova Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:36 AM

May I make up a new city named Trobahaur? Or perhaps Troja?

Where are Elves usually found?
Posted Image

#6 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

One day we'll be nostalgic for disaster

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

I know you said that magic is uncommon in humans, but HOW uncommon? Also, what KINDS of magic are there? Because, in my fan fiction, the magic characters use can effect nature to some degree, but not enough to use it as a weapon/defense; is that alright? Also, do you remember when I asked you about shades? Well, I've modified them, and before I bother writing up a whole thing for them, I'd like to ask if you think a really, really, down powered version of the shade could fit in then Wylfgard universe?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<({[RAGE.wit]})>-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~<({[If there's one thing I know in this world, it's that we are Beggars all]})>~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
{Zapman: Transferred - UNDER REVISION}-~-~-~-~{Gavin Nequam and the Hall of Prophecy - UNDER REVISION}
{Vagabond - IN PROGRESS}-~-~-~-~{Kingdom Hearts: In The Dark - ON INDEFINATE HIATUS}
{12-8-2007 - COMPLETE}-~-~-~-~-{Legend of the Five: Rise of the Small - IN PROGRESS}

#7 Mercutio

Mercutio

№ 1

• Nova Member
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

On gods and their powers:
What is the pantheon of gods? How do they (if they can) influence the mortal realm?

http://threemileisland.forumotion.org/

http://enfiladedefilade.blogspot.com/

#8 NOT ME

NOT ME

Legionnaire 1st Class

• Nova Member
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:09 AM

Can humans turn into anything other than werewolfs, if cursed by an elf or a dwarf? Because my character in my fan fiction is turned into a bear by an evil force.

#9 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:28 AM

Are there Vampires? tongue.gif

Or Werebears? ohmy.gif

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#10 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:28 AM

I think I can answer a few questions here. good.gif

QUOTE (Koth)
May I make up a new city named Trobahaur? Or perhaps Troja?

Sure, you can make up a city, especially since we don't have a map yet. Just try to make the name fit the area where it's located, and don't make the city too big/important, since we've already decided most of those. I like the name Troja. Maybe it could be located on the border of the Empire and the South, kind of like Troy. wink.gif

QUOTE (Koth)
Where are Elves usually found?

Both Elves and Dwarves are native to the North, but many can be found in the Empire as well. Almost none live in the South or the East, however, barring the few individuals who have traveled there.

QUOTE (Oso)
I know you said that magic is uncommon in humans, but HOW uncommon?

Like, really uncommon. tongue.gif So uncommon that most magic-attuned individuals are viewed with great suspicion or fear, and all but the most confident wizards take care to keep their powers hidden when in public.

QUOTE (Oso)
Also, what KINDS of magic are there?

I'm working on an article about that right now, actually! biggrin.gif I just need to finalize a few things and then let Maegan read over it. But basically, there are five types of magic, each named after the source of the power itself: Divine, Demonic, Spiritual, Elemental, and Arcane. The kind you mentioned sounds like Spiritual, also known as Nature magic. It is achieved by meditation and communication with the spirits of nature and the land itself. Most of the time it's very subtle, like a druid being able to find his way through any forest because the sprits of the land can guide him, but some powerful practicioners can control the natural elements, summoning storms or commanding trees to attack enemies. Elves are innately in tune with Spiritual magic.

As for the Shades stuff, I wouldn't know about that.

QUOTE (Mercutio)
What is the pantheon of gods? How do they (if they can) influence the mortal realm?

There are at least four different main pantheons: the gods of the North, the Empire, the South, and the East. They are basically Norse, Greek/Roman, Egyptian, and Chinese/Japanese mythologies, respectively. Most of the names of the gods and their respective domains remain unchanged.

The main way they influence the mortal world is through their priests, by sending them to do their bidding. However, it is possible for them to interfere directly by appearing as avatars or summoning natural disasters... But they seldom do so because of divine politics. Meaning: they are always very careful not to anger the other gods too much and thus risk their wrath. Thus, a mortal who has angered Zeus would do very well to gain the favor of Poseidon or Hades. It's a game of checks and balances that keeps the world from getting too chaotic... although it doesn't always work.

The gods are not omniscient, however, meaning: they don't see everything that happens. They can be distracted by the great events of the world (such as wars) and thus not notice every thief that steals into their temples. Although such a skilled thief would do well to get rid of any holy artifacts quickly lest they be used to trace the crime to him.

QUOTE (zack)
Can humans turn into anything other than werewolfs, if cursed by an elf or a dwarf? Because my character in my fan fiction is turned into a bear by an evil force.

I believe Werebears are mentioned in the lore archive. Check there. It's just another form of lycanthropy, however, not really an evil force.

QUOTE (War Czar)
Are there Vampires? tongue.gif

Check the lore archive, Breeze. tongue.gif They're at the bottom of the first post.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#11 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:38 AM

Ooooh... Hm. Okay. Pretty good, I guess.

OHSAY, if you have spare time, you and Maegan have to buy, and read a trilogy. It'll give you a different spin of Vampires and Werwolves that might be useful in your attempts to create and refine a unique world. wink.gif

rsz_17103456_804341766390322_88650203142     rsz_17103583_210540556092434_55832859985     rsz_17155802_10212220403766592_217493358     

#12 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:05 AM

I've read lots of trilogies: the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Icewind Dale trilogy... well, two or three trilogies at least. tongue.gif

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_googleplus.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#13 Scorchy

Scorchy

Darkness falls; here comes the rain.

• Nova Member
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:44 AM

First of - Thank you to whoever made the Vampires how they are. I really like the idea of the 'first', and they don't seem to Sissy-ish, like Wolfy often thinks of them.
But I do have a few Questions,
What exactly does a Vampire look like when in Half bat form? I assume they don't have wings, but What do they have?
Plus, I now know what a True Werewolf is. But, does any form of Werewolf have cravings for meat or cattle? As in, if the beast within becomes hungrey, will it emerge?
How difficult is it to contain the Werewolf within?

And, I guess I need to scrap my LotF Fan-fic. I was planning on having Werewolves come from Demons, were one Demon lord transformed humans to beasts, but one day, they rebeled, and the demon lord cursed them. Oh well.
And now, I have a few Idea's for Sig-figs... But how many are we aloud to have?
And if you want some good books on Vampires, read the Darren Shan saga. Brilliant books, I'd recomend 'em too ya wink.gif

-Scorchy-

"Many people have died for their beliefs; it's actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe." Brom (Eragon pg.197)

#14 Hurki-Wan KenobLee

Hurki-Wan KenobLee

regular dudebro

• Nova Member
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Saber-Scorpion @ Apr 9 2008, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've read lots of trilogies: the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Icewind Dale trilogy... well, two or three trilogies at least. tongue.gif

So is that 'Give me a name, Miovelli' (Mobster reference tongue.gif) or a 'no thanks, I'm good'? It looked like you were being silly though, so... tongue.gif

The first book is Called Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer. It's a great romance, (no, not erotica or crap like that, you'll appreciate it,) and it's also way awesome.

#15 Dr Blood-Snake

Dr Blood-Snake

There are no men like me

• Nova Member
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:52 AM

Are the Higher ranks usually taken by people of high birth, despite military competance, Like in the 18th and early 19th centuries?

"Do you still love her?"
"Almost as much as I hate her."

#16 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (Scorchy)
First of - Thank you to whoever made the Vampires how they are. I really like the idea of the 'first', and they don't seem to Sissy-ish, like Wolfy often thinks of them.

We both consulted on it. wink.gif I doubt Maegan would have made the Wylfgard vampires completely pathetic, even if it was just her ideas alone. As it is, some of the ideas were hers, some mine. We wanted to make them pretty powerful, but not as powerful as some stories make them... the ones where it's like "no human could ever defeat a vampire - they have super speed, strength, agility, can fly, their wounds heal instantly, and they can control your brain!!!" I like to keep things fairly balanced.

QUOTE (Scorchy)
What exactly does a Vampire look like when in Half bat form? I assume they don't have wings, but What do they have?

QUOTE (Scorchy)
Plus, I now know what a True Werewolf is. But, does any form of Werewolf have cravings for meat or cattle? As in, if the beast within becomes hungrey, will it emerge?

If you starved a werewolf enough, the beast side would probably take over out of desperation at some point (depending on how willing the individual was to give into it), but they don't just transform at the scent of blood or when they get hungry like werebears and wereboars do. Their main controlling factor is the moon.

QUOTE (Scorchy)
How difficult is it to contain the Werewolf within?

It requires one of two things: extremely strong willpower and drive... or extremely strong discipline and self-control. The former individuals fight their animal side, pushing it back by sheer force of will. This gets harder each time, since the wolf will eventually become a part of the individual and may very well be just as strong-willed as the human side. The latter technique involves not fighting the wolf, but making peace with it, coming to know it as a part of oneself - something that requires much meditation and understanding. Both techniques require great presence of mind, and often neither is enough to resist the light of the full moon.

QUOTE (Scorchy)
And now, I have a few Idea's for Sig-figs... But how many are we aloud to have?

Around three would be best. Just try not to make your reply too long as a whole and maybe you can squeeze in more though.

QUOTE (Scorchy & War Czar)
...Darren Shan... Twilight...

I'm not really into pure vampire fiction. There's way too much of it these days, so much that it's practically a genre all its own, especially the romance stories. A lot of it just seems terribly silly, the ends the authors go to in order to "justify" vampires and explain all the different abilities and their history. Ehh, I guess you could say that I accept vampires and werewolves when they're in a fantasy setting, but I don't like reading stories just about them and them only.

QUOTE (Blood-snake)
Are the Higher ranks usually taken by people of high birth, despite military competance, Like in the 18th and early 19th centuries?

It's about half and half. The Emperor prefers military competance, despite upbringing, and often shows preference to born commoners... but nobles extert a powerful influence and do often get the ranks even when they don't deserve them. This is one cause of the many conflicts that plague the Imperial Legion.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

#17 Jayhenn

Jayhenn

Valar Morghulis

• 194 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:55 AM

Do "Were-Bears" exist in the LotF world.

Are there other races of Kitsune except for the Asian looking kind?

#18 Scorchy

Scorchy

Darkness falls; here comes the rain.

• Nova Member
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE (Saber-Scorpion @ Apr 9 2008, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We both consulted on it. wink.gif I doubt Maegan would have made the Wylfgard vampires completely pathetic, even if it was just her ideas alone. As it is, some of the ideas were hers, some mine. We wanted to make them pretty powerful, but not as powerful as some stories make them... the ones where it's like "no human could ever defeat a vampire - they have super speed, strength, agility, can fly, their wounds heal instantly, and they can control your brain!!!" I like to keep things fairly balanced.

*Man-Bat*

It requires one of two things: extremely strong willpower and drive... or extremely strong discipline and self-control. The former individuals fight their animal side, pushing it back by sheer force of will. This gets harder each time, since the wolf will eventually become a part of the individual and may very well be just as strong-willed as the human side. The latter technique involves not fighting the wolf, but making peace with it, coming to know it as a part of oneself - something that requires much meditation and understanding. Both techniques require great presence of mind, and often neither is enough to resist the light of the full moon.

I'm not really into pure vampire fiction. There's way too much of it these days, so much that it's practically a genre all its own, especially the romance stories. A lot of it just seems terribly silly, the ends the authors go to in order to "justify" vampires and explain all the different abilities and their history. Ehh, I guess you could say that I accept vampires and werewolves when they're in a fantasy setting, but I don't like reading stories just about them and them only.

Yeah, me too. I like to think they're more powerful than Humans, but not un-beatable. What fun is a villian you can't beat? tongue.gif

Now, that is cool. So, can they fly?

On the subject of transformation and Darren Shan, he does have abother series of Books, called 'The Demonata'. It's about Demons and WErewolves, really good. At one point, there's a very good descirption of a boy fighting the Werewolf inside. And It is purely about Vampires, but it ain't a romance. I hate Stories of Vampires like that....Anyway...

-Scorchy-

"Many people have died for their beliefs; it's actually quite common. The real courage is in living and suffering for what you believe." Brom (Eragon pg.197)

#19 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Jayhenn @ Apr 9 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do "Were-Bears" exist in the LotF world.

Yes. To quote the Archive,
QUOTE (Wylfgard Lore Archive)
Werebears and Wereboars

These two types of lycanthropes are much like werewolves in most respects. However, instead of being slaves to the moon, they are instead slaves to hunger. If they grow hungry and especially if they smell food, they find it hard to control their transformation. They may also transform if angered, frightened, or wounded. Werebears transform into enormous bears which may look humanoid when standing on their hind legs, but bear no other real resemblance to a man. Wereboars transform into man-pigs with pig-like heads and hooved feet, but man-like arms and torsos, and the ability to stand on their hind legs.

QUOTE (Jay)
Are there other races of Kitsune except for the Asian looking kind?

Nope. If you really want to, I guess you could make things get more complicated, and be half-Kitsune, but then your character would still look half-Easterner (half Asian), and he wouldn't have all the powers that a Kitsune does.

QUOTE (Scorchy @ Apr 9 2008, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, me too. I like to think they're more powerful than Humans, but not un-beatable. What fun is a villian you can't beat? tongue.gif

But I didn't like the way you worded that post, Scorchy. tongue.gif You act like I would just made them little nothings. I wouldn't do that to any creature, or else I simply wouldn't put them in there.

QUOTE (Scorchy)
Now, that is cool. So, can they fly?

Of course. They have wings, after all. tongue.gif But, like the Archives said, they can't fly when in human form. They can only fly when they actually have wings.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#20 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (Werewolf @ Apr 9 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course. They have wings, after all. tongue.gif But, like the Archives said, they can't fly when in human form. They can only fly when they actually have wings.

Awesome! tongue.gif

I got a question... how old is the average dwarf when he/she dies (naturally... not killed)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users