• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,067 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

Hey, fellas. So I've been trying to get more active in writing communities elsewhere on the webbernets at a best friend's behest, and she's been giving me writing prompts and stuff to help me get involved. You can find some of these on my tumblr, too.

Her favorite character is Kye, by a longshot, so many of my prompts will end up being about him. :lol: You are, of course, also free to throw your own prompts at me here in the thread. I've discovered that writing by prompt is immensely fun, and I want to try to do more of it for practice and warmups before I start a long writing session. So, please, give me some stuff.

Any updates I post here will be pretty random, and I might not write many very often. But here are a few of the ones I've written so far...

Prompt, "Description - Kye in formal clothing"

Kye rubbed the back of his neck, feeling stupid. He shifted his weight between his feet, watching the assorted nobles perform graceful, sweeping dances that made the womens’ great dresses flow everywhere. But it was hard to focus when he felt like he was going to suffocate.

So he went from rubbing his neck to tugging at the collar of his black doublet – which matched his black shirt, black breeches, and black gloves. Or, well, glove. He still wore his huge, spiked gauntlet on his left arm, nervously rubbing the long, metal claws together as he thought again of how Drake commented that it clashed with his gold buttons and accessories, including the weird chain necklace that Fintan had handed to him, seemingly as an afterthought. Confused, Kye had said he wasn’t clashing with anything at all. And then Drake had laughed, patted him on the back, and left to go flirt with some girl.

And then Magnhild had powdered his nose, and he’d come this close to sneezing all over her. Kye tried to remember if she had even powdered her own nose, and he suddenly realized she hadn’t.

Since then, everyone had left, and he eventually found his way to the great hall full of people dancing and drinking. Now, Kye stood there fidgeting in all his tight, form-fitting clothing – except for the silly breeches. They were tight at the top and the bottom and only reached just above his knees, and they puffed all out around his thighs. He had never worn such a ridiculous thing.

If he dropped his guard for even a second, he’d be all wings and tail and horns and then it would tear up his clothes and probably even do something bad to his hair – which was all pulled behind his neck in a very neat ponytail, for once, instead of some halfhearted attempt at that.

He tugged at his collar again as he glanced around, wondering vaguely if everyone was sweating as badly as he was. Some undeniably pretty girl in a frilly, pink dress was staring at him from the corner – staring so hard he almost thought his tail was sticking out from the bottom of his doublet and waving back and forth again, or else his horns were showing.

She giggled, bit her lip, and used a finger to beckon Kye in a suggestive manner that was largely lost on him, though it still prompted him to blush like an idiot – right before some huge, burly man in a vest came and swept her over to the dance floor. Kye rubbed his claws together again and swallowed. Well, he had probably just come really close to getting his face pounded in by that fine gentleman.

A parting in the sea of people showed him where the wine was, and Kye quietly meandered over to it, snatching up a fancy wine goblet in his right hand. The glove he wore was so silken that it made the silver cup slip right out of his hand, and he had to catch it in his claws. He sighed.

This was going to be a long night.

Prompt, "OC Intro - Kye Vakurseth"

The woods were thick, yet it wasn’t hard for Tom Drake to find the leathery, spearheaded demon tail hanging from the branches near a small, convenient clearing. Grabbing the tail, he gave it a hearty tug – enough to elicit a jolt and a yelp from the boughs above.

“Kye, c’mon,” Drake said. “Hiding won’t do you any good.”

Kye’s tall silhouette moved in the treetop, and Drake let go of the tail so the demon-kin could climb down. It was funny to look at him now and think he was trying to prepare someone like this to go to a royal ball. You know, the guy with huge, bat-like demon wings sprouting from his back, a tail, fangs, a huge left gauntlet with spikes and claws…

Drake frowned and pretended to size him up as he circled him. Kye rubbed the back of his neck with his right hand, turning to face Drake as he walked around.

“Will you stop?” Drake said, though he fought back a laugh. “If you start spinning in circles when the tailor’s sizing you up, you’re gonna frustrate the shit out of him.”

“Sorry,” Kye replied promptly, standing still.

Just like Drake thought, he was going to need serious work. But, sure, Kye was a handsome guy, especially if all the stares he got when he rode down the street were any indication. Tall, muscular… tall, dark, and handsome, really. Put simply, he was striking.

When he didn’t have horns on his forehead, at least. He even had a second, longer pair curling back on top of his head, just to make sure everyone knew he had horns, as if the pointed ears and every other demonic feature didn’t give it away. He also had purple hair, most of it pulled behind his neck in a ponytail.

And then there were those confused, bright violet eyes that kept staring at him. This time, Drake couldn’t help but grin.

“First thing’s first,” he said, “I need to warn you about actually wearing a complete shirt, not that weird back-less jerkin thing.”

Kye suddenly looked morose, though his tail kept endlessly waving back and forth behind him, like it always did. “But – what about my wings?”

“If they pop out, you’re screwed either way, so there’s no reason to leave room for them. Besides,” he glanced at Kye’s back – a complete mess of crisscrossing whip scars with huge, jagged rune scar carved there by a knife set in the foreground – and frowned, “that’s the last thing you want anyone to see, other than all these demon bits.”

“Right, yeah, okay…”

“The clothes are gonna be pretty tight, too. Show off your physique, and all that.”

Kye grunted. “Sure, great…”

“And you’ll have to lose the gauntlet,” Drake finished, grabbing and holding up the huge, heavy metal thing that went all the way up Kye’s left forearm, ending in a set of long spikes coming off his elbow.

Kye tugged it away from him, nervously rubbing his metal claws together. “That…” he swallowed mid-sentence. “That – doesn’t come off.”

Drake arched a brow. “Why not?”

The demon-kin looked away from him and said quietly, “It’s a long story, Tom.”

Silence fell so abruptly that they were left listening to the pleasant songbirds chirping away in the trees – which, somehow, made the silence even more awkward. Even for Kye, that was a strange tone. But Drake shrugged.

“Alright,” he said, “it’ll be a fashion statement. Sure.” He clapped Kye on the shoulder. “So, last thing: you know how to dance, right?”

It took a moment before Kye looked at him again, staring dumbly. Drake waited patiently for him to find some words.

Finally, Kye asked in a tiny voice, “What’s, uh… What’s dancing?”

Drake’s face went blank.

That lasted for a second or two before he suddenly laughed. Kye’s face went red, and Drake felt worse, but he kept grinning.

“Oh, gods, Kye – it’s not funny—” Drake said quickly, though he laughed again and had to stop himself. “You’re just so hopeless, and it’s adorable.”

Kye looked miserable and rubbed at the back of his neck again, his tail giving one sharp jerk out of rhythm before resuming its back-and-forth waving.

“Look, I’m sorry. I’m an ass.” Drake cleared his throat. “Dancing is, ah… something people do to…”

“Flirt with girls?” Kye said in a tone that sounded like he assumed everything Drake was knowledgeable about eventually came down to flirting. Which wasn’t entirely true.

Still, Drake made a thoughtful face. “Well, yeah, but it’s kind of more a cultural thing. It’s important to know, anyway, if you’re going to blend in with… you know, mortals.”

Kye nodded quietly.

“Look, I’ll show you.” Drake stepped up in front of him, taking Kye’s left hand and putting it on his shoulder, taking Kye’s right hand in his left and holding it, just before resting his own right hand on Kye’s hip.

Kye made an odd face at him that really showed all his long, sharp canines, but Drake just arched a brow.

“I didn’t say it wouldn’t be awkward.”

Then he abruptly pulled Kye right against his body, and Kye’s face went red.

“That doesn’t seem – really – do you have to—?”

Kye stopped sputtering but quickly reached down, grabbed Drake’s hand on his hip, and moved it up to his rough, scarred back instead, just below a wing. Drake managed not to laugh.

“Your back doesn’t have the most romantic texture, Kye,” Drake remarked. “But, luckily for you, girls love scars.”

He then led Kye around in a dance – Drake was graceful and practiced, but Kye kept stumbling and stepping on Drake’s feet, his tail going to and fro even faster than usual in frustration and flicking around erratically.

“Tom, this – this is impossible,” Kye blurted. “What’s the point?

“I thought you get all gooey when you think about these endearing things mortals do,” Drake said with a grin. “And if you can climb buildings and jump around on them in the dark, Kye, you can dance. Just follow my lead.”

Drake didn’t go easy on him. He swiveled him, he dipped him, and the entire time, Kye sputtered and occasionally tried to pull free of his grip, but Drake never let him. And he wore a grin almost half the time.

Finally, Drake grabbed one of Kye’s legs to hook it around his hip, dipped him again, dramatically, and then finally let Kye scramble away from him, red in the face. Drake gave a little bow.

“See? That wasn’t so hard. I kept it simple, and you did pretty good for a beginner.”

Kye frowned, staring up at some clouds like he did so often, still blushing unbelievably.

“There’s no way I can do all that with a random person,” he finally said flatly. “Or… anybody.”

“Well, you can stand in the corner and drink wine instead,” Drake replied. “Later, I’ll show you where the royal gardens are, since that seems more like your thing. But trust me, dancing is fun.”

For a second, it almost looked like Kye believed him. The demon-kin resumed rubbing the back of his neck some more and stared at the ground instead before, eventually, he looked up to meet Drake’s green-and-gold eyes again.

“Why can’t you just go?” Kye finally asked. “I’m a disaster waiting to happen.”

Drake frowned. “Kye, you’re not,” he answered, finally serious – serious enough that it surprised Kye, from the way his purple eyes blinked. “Stop being so down on yourself.”

After a brief bout of hesitation, Kye tried again: “Is everyone else coming, too? I mean, we all know you’re just gonna go flirt with a bunch of girls, and then Magnhild will glare at you the entire time, and…”

Drake’s mind generally moved at top speed, and often pretty erratically. So when it hit a stone wall, it could be painful – like right now.

He blurted, “She what?

Kye blinked. “Oh. I, um… thought you knew she did that…”

Drake was about to say something more, before he realized that, if he tried, he’d end up sputtering and sounding like Kye did half the time. So, instead, he took a second to compose himself.

“I’ll leave you to it, then,” Drake said, giving Kye another friendly smack on the shoulder. He always kept those gentle, but Kye still winced every time, anyway. “Practice dancing with a branch or something.”

“Okay,” Kye replied, but Drake knew immediately from his tone that he was going to just go sit in a tree and listen to birds and stare at clouds some more. And probably leave his tail hanging down conspicuously again – not that Kye ever seemed terribly aware of what his tail was doing.

Drake offered him an encouraging smile. “You’re gonna do great,” he said, just before he turned and left to go find Magnhild and the others again.

Now he almost felt bad for teaching Kye the girl’s part of the dance.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#2 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,067 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

Brief one, pulled out of a very old short story I never posted publicly.

Prompt, "Whump (your character loses something they love)"

Instantly, Kye surged to his feet – and so did Febriel. They rounded on each other, one staring at the other in equal shock and horror.

He knew instantly exactly what was going through her mind: he was a demon.

For a long moment, neither of them could speak. Finally, the pale-faced Febriel set her jaw and drew in a slow, deep breath, her hands shaking at her sides.

“I knew there was something wrong about you,” she said, her voice low.

But nothing about Kye was slow and measured – his heart pounded, his head hurt, his face was on fire, and he felt more emotions than he could even understand. He shook all over and stammered.

“I-it – it’s not like that!” he finally managed to sputter, his voice cracking. “I – I don’t – I’m not…!”

“Save your lies,” Febriel snapped. She sucked in a sharp breath and finished in a hiss, “Demon.”

Kye swallowed against the lump in his otherwise dry throat, his eyes burning with tears. “I’m not like them!” he suddenly cried. “I’m not evil! I’m not a monster!”

“I should slay you where you stand,” was Febriel’s only answer, though her voice wavered and came out weak.

“Please…” Kye breathed in desperation, almost ready to let his buckling knees finally give out. He managed to find his voice again and begged, “Febriel, please, just – just don’t leave me alone… I’m not like them – I’m not! You know I’m not!”

“Be glad,” Febriel went on, unable to speak without her voice shaking, “I’m letting you leave with your life. Go, Kye. If I ever see you again…”

“Don’t do this – please… I’m not like them…”

“I’ll kill you,” she finished, her voice low.

With that, she turned her back on him and strode off into the forest, not once looking over her shoulder. Kye collapsed, falling to his hands and knees. He watched her go, his great wings sagging by his sides as he trembled violently from head to toe with no idea what to do. He wanted to call out to her, to plead her to stop…

Febriel!” he managed to cry out, but that was all. When he tried to raise his voice again, all that came out was a quiet whimper. “Don’t do this,” he sobbed, watching her disappear into the woods. “Don’t leave me alone again… Please… just – just… come back…”

Kye dropped onto his side, burying his face in his hands and giving in, sobbing and moaning uncontrollably. Everything he thought he was learning suddenly fell to pieces before his eyes. What he hoped was a new life and another chance, one he’d fought for tooth and claw, shattered like so much glass. His heart seared pain deep into his chest with every throbbing beat as if trying to tear itself in two.

For the first time in his life, he had felt something he’d never known – something he’d only heard mortals talk about as a strange concept… something he saw in their smiles, in their eyes, heard in their laughter. It had always been little more than a hopeless dream he’d chased after for his entire immortal life. Now he knew that feeling, and he knew what it was like to have it ripped from his very soul – when he was only just beginning to understand it.

For the first time in his life, he had been happy.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#3 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

I love what you've written so far! It would be interesting to see if we could supply prompts.

If so, here's one that I've thought about turning into a little short story like these:

Ildrius does something that makes him look inspiring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users