The "What are you currently reading" thread.

• Please log in to reply
1541 replies to this topic

#1541 Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,794 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

Just finished reading Michael Crichton's recently posthumously-published novel Dragon Teeth. It was good! The subject is the "Bone Wars" or "Great Dinosaur Rush", a little event in American history in which paleontologists - two in particular - frantically competed to discover as many dinosaur species as they could from fossils in the American West. In fact, the novel's genre is basically "Western" - it even features Wyatt Earp as an important protagonist in the last third or fourth of the book.

It's kind of a light read though, not nearly as packed with data or with excitement as Crichton's best books. But it still contains enough of both that I think he actually wrote this one, even if he probably deemed it too unfinished for publication. It has his style and voice, unlike his previous posthumously-published book, Micro, which was mostly authored by some other guy who frankly did a terrible job using Crichton's notes to bang out a story. Ugh, I hated that book.

So yeah, if you like Crichton's work, I recommend reading this one... as long as you've already read his greats first, like Jurassic Park, Prey, and Timeline... and later The Lost World, State of Fear, Andromeda Strain, Congo... and one of my personal favorites though not the best one to start with: Sphere...

*ahem* Sorry, I really like Crichton. He was taken from us too soon.

#1542 Sephsekla

Il Mentore

• Nova Patron
  • 647 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:30 AM

I got Goldenhand by Garth Nix for my birthday and ended up reading it in one sitting (which is one of my favourite things to do).

Anyone here a fan of the Old Kingdom series? I really love the world that he's created, and I think it would be the perfect setting for a Witcher type game.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Except cancelling Firefly. Because that's just not cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users