What Are You Currently Playing?

• Please log in to reply
4431 replies to this topic

#4421 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,295 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:38 PM

OK, look, I'm an old man now, and when two games called "The Outer W___lds" release in the same year it's hard for my addled brain to keep them straight :P

The Outer Wilds is the little spaceship exploration one about unraveling a mystery left behind by aliens.

The Outer Worlds is the RPG from Obsidian coming out in a couple of weeks

EDIT - I just got up to Chapter 13 in Fire Emblem Three Houses. Spoilers:

Spoiler

As someone who really had no idea what Fire Emblem... was, at all, before playing this game, learning about Fire Emblem lore on the job is WILD. Like, I thought it was just fairly mundane Western medieval fantasy through the lens of Japanese anime boys, but then people started teleporting, evil wizards showed up, and one time I just got straight up SENT TO THE SHADOW REALM or something. My guy went Super Saiyan and his hair changed colour. A lady just turned into a dragon like it wasn't even a big deal. I love it. At this point I wouldn't even be surprised if someone pulls out a behelit and the world ends.

I've started thinking that maybe I should go back and play some more of these Fire Emblems, but then I realise that I'm essentially only halfway through one of FOUR possible playthrough paths in Three Houses and I could potentially just be playing this game for the rest of my life.

#4422 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

FIRE. EMBLEM. THREE. HOUSES.

You guys, we did it. We made the impossible possible. We didn't let our dreams be dreams. We finished a Fire Emblem game.

And it was great! I'm just basking in the feeling of pure relief after having been stressed out of my mind in the last two battles of the game. I absolutely refused to let any of my children die, and I made a bunch of terrible decisions and had to abuse the hell out of the magic time rewind system, but I scraped through. Even when it meant setting up ridiculous chains of having my cheer squad buff my Dragon Master's stats so he could make a suicide run to go and kill a mage that was keeping my whole squad pinned down, and then get my Dancer to use the Rescue spell to bring him back again so he wouldn't get obliterated by five guys in the next turn. Even when I basically had to keep my entire army crowded into the only spot on the map where they were kind of safe and make like one tile of progress per turn. Even when I had to start playing the odds and leaving Felix out directly in the crosshairs of two archers because I knew he could probably dodge the shots.

We DID IT.

Boy oh boy, what a game! It took me about seventy hours to get through the Gryffindor Blue Lions path, and I definitely want to at least start up one of the other ones. I've had, honestly, no interest whatsoever in Fire Emblem for my entire video game life; basically from the moment I found out it even existed (the first time I unlocked Marth in SSB Melee, of course) until like a month after Three Houses came out. And then I just heard some good buzz about it and decided to try it out on a whim, and here we are. I kind of want to do the whole thing. I want to meet all the other characters from Slytherin and Huffleclaw. I need to find some online guides about how New Game + works.

Oh wait, I forgot to talk about the story!

Spoiler

What a game, you guys. I loved it. 2019 has come out of nowhere and turned out to have a fantastic lineup of games, and putting together my top ten list is going to be a tricky one. And there's still so much more to play! I can't wait to start up The Outer Worlds, and Luigi's Mansion 3, and there's till Death Stranding and a whole Pokemon game. How has it come to this?

#4423 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

New Game + is pretty simple: you keep all the renown you've earned, as well as any statue upgrades you purchased, and while you still need to progress the story to unlock all the shops, the entire stock will be open to you when you get them.

You can also spend your renown in your room to increase skill ranks, support levels, and buy class mastery skills, as long as you earned them in a previous run. And you can also toggle between a unit's School and War appearance.

#4424 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 05:17 AM

Call of Duty Modern Warfare?

giphyanjw4.gif

More like Call of Duty: Nostril Horn-blare

More like Call of Snoot-y: Nasal Love-affair

More like... more like... OK these are really difficult puns to make. Look, you guys, I just want you to know that friendship is ended with Jennifer Connelly and Emma Stone and new best friend is Claudia Doumit, who plays Farah in the new Call of Duty, and who has the biggest, most beautiful nose I've ever seen on a human being. I'm in love. Do you know how incredible a nose needs to be for me to totally miss a 10/10 set of eyebrows sitting right above it?

LOOK.

AT.

THAT.

HONKER!

What a nose. 10/10. NOTY 2019. BAFTA Nominee for Lifetime Achievement in the Field of Having a Great Big Nose.

Oh by the way I played that new Call of Duty. It was OK. Apart from a few dreadful stealth sections, I had a fun five-ish hours of Oscar Mike-ing my way through what is probably one of the better Call of Duty campaigns (of the ones I've played, at least). There was a fun sniping level where all the bad guys were so far away and in such high wind that I had to basically lob the bullets towards them, and another pretty cool small open-world kinda level where I had to lone-wolf it through a small town at night, shooting out lights and knifing fools like the modern Splinter Cell game Ubisoft refuses to make. Another memorable moment was defending a CIA safehouse from an encroaching small army who used my own light-shooting-out tactics against me, where the only way I had of illuminating the vast tract of nothing between us and them was to send up a flare from a nearby mortar and shoot as many guys as I could before the light winked out. It's a pretty good campaign, if you can stomach the... Call-of-Duty-ness of it.

OK, I'm going to get a little bit p-p-p-political here, but I promise I'll be quick. This is a ripped-from-the-headlines story about modern warfare, using all the recognisable iconography that entails: US soldiers in the Middle East, an Al Qaeda stand-in, IEDs, waterboarding and other torture, drone strikes, etc. But rather than make any kind of statement, or, gasp, criticism, this game just... pretends the Russians did it all. It's set in a world where the foreign power occupying the Middle East for decades, under whose thumb Farah and her brother up there grew up... was just Russia. In the ludicrously poor-taste section mid-game where you ARE WATERBOARDED IN A MINIGAME, it's Russia doing it. You know, waterboarding; that thing we all associate with Russia, and definitely not that other world superpower, no definitely not that one, nosirree. They go so far as to just straight up include noted actual war crime the Highway of Death in the game, and then say the Russians did it. Also it all takes place in a fictional country called Urzikstan, and the first line of the game is the terrorist leader bad guy stating into a camera that he isn't doing any terrorist-ing for religious reasons. I don't know what they were trying to do with any of this :P

It also has that awful thing I always hate in Call of Duty where soldiers are just aching to pointlessly throw their lives away. It's not as bad as Infinite Warfare, which had this genuinely repulsive theme running all the way through the game that all soldiers are just cogs in the machine who should gleefully kill themselves in service of THE MISSION, but it gets close at the end. You're trying to blow up an evil chemical weapons production facility, but wouldn'chaknowit, your detonator breaks and the only way to blow the bombs is for someone to manually trigger them and blow up with them! And after a brief argument of who will get the honour of vaporising themselves, the American soldier you've been playing as practically forces his commander to order him to do it. It's such a perfunctory execution of the heroic sacrifice trope that nobody even spends a second on trying to think of another way to trigger the bombs, and our guy doesn't even get so much as a peaceful eye close, fade-to-white death scene. He blows up off-screen after a few last words over walkie-talkie. It's so weird; like the writers realised that none of their soldiers had thrown their body into the gears of the machinery yet and they had to write it in at the last minute.

Anyway, that was this year's Call of Duty, then. You can still play it on Easy and run through combat encounters without ever reloading by picking up new guns whenever yours goes dry, which I really like. It has our girl up there, who is a genuinely great character on top of having a world-class schnoz. I had to download SEVENTY GIGABYTES of patch before I was even allowed to start the campaign, so maybe keep that in mind, and also maybe consider not supporting it because, man, it is super hardcore US-glorifying propaganda, but I don't know it was fine.

I've also played a few hours of Luigi's Mansion 3, which should be a nice fun time for a little while. It basically seems to be about poking and prodding at everything in every room of a spooky hotel until spoopers jump out and spoop at you, and I could go for some of that right now. Some of the shine wore off once I unlocked the in-game store and found that all this gold and cash I've been religiously sucking out of the walls with my vacuum cleaner is worth basically nothing because there's nothing interesting to buy, but maybe some more interesting stuff will show up later.

#4425 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

Highlord of Aurora

• Nova Member
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:23 AM

The game was actually banned in Russia.
Local SSLF Builder
Blade of the Darkmoon - A Spirit of Vengeance has Invaded!
Warrior of the Sun - Praise the Sun!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4426 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

I mean, why wouldn't it be?

KCGauwp.jpg

#4427 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:57 PM

So after spending pretty much all day with Fallen Order...

I don't know how they did it, but this games gets a big ol' fresh thumbs up from me.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#4428 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:12 AM

I've been playing Jedi Fallen Order, too, and, yeah, it's a good one. I'm back to explore the second area on Zeffo, a big Imperial mine where an old Jedi Holocron ghost tells me I'll find another Jedi tomb to raid, and I'm having fun. At first I found the combat very rubbery and unresponsive, but after spending some more time with it, unlocking a few new abilities and (crucially) remapping the controls to the standard Dark Souls layout with the attack buttons on R1/R2 (they already copied everything else from Souls, why not go all the way? :P) I'm finding it more enjoyable. I feel like this is going to be one of those games that I probably won't love, but I'll have a perfectly fun time with just soaking up all the expensive graphics and setpieces.

It is very derivative of all the popular AAA tropes of the generation, but I honestly want to give them credit for not doing a crafting system. There's no loot, no crafting, not even any materials to craft with. It's actually really refreshing not to have to spend the whole game picking up junk, y'know? When you do find a treasure chest it's just going to hold a purely cosmetic item for customising your character or lightsabre or droid buddy, which is nice. You don't have to worry too much about missing them, but every now and then you can hit that Customisation menu and change your lightsabre beam colour or match your fashionable poncho to the environment you're in just to spice things up a bit. Changing your style around in a video game is an underrated pleasure, I feel, and one that's increasingly rare in this era of microtransactions. Imagine that: an EA-published game in 2019 that doesn't charge you money to change your clothes!

EDIT - I want to walk back my lukewarm first impression of Fallen Order, because I spent basically the entire day playing it today and I can't get enough. It's night now and I have to sleep but I genuinely just want to keep playing it. It's that perfect combination of fun level traversal, fairly breezy combat and a map full of hidden areas and secrets that makes it really hard to put down. I just want to keep running on walls and somersaulting and pushing guys into bottomless pits.

It's good, you guys. It's a really pleasantly meaty game that starts off a bit generic but gets better the deeper you get. I think I'm closing in on the end now, but I actually want to go back through and get 100% item completion in all the worlds before I get to the end; not just to slake my completionist compulsion, but because I think I'll actually enjoy doing it. The more I play the more rungs this game climbs up the Runner-Up GOTY 2019 ladder.

#4429 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:41 PM

I finished it. That wasn't just a really good game, that was some really good Star Wars too.

The characters are astonishingly well written, and they all get their big moments in the spotlight. Without saying too much, the villainous cast are also bright-shiners with an appropriately compelling backstory.

And particular shout-out to one late game addition to the crew, her contributions are short but sweet.

I really hope to see more of these characters in a hopeful sequel, assuming the Star Wars name is enough to break Respawn's curse of making really good games and having them sell poorly.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#4430 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:56 AM

SPARK, THAT WAS SO GOOD! I just finished it, too, and I absolutely can't believe how much I loved this game.

STRAIGHT

UP

BANG-GER

The characters are astonishingly well written, and they all get their big moments in the spotlight. Without saying too much, the villainous cast are also bright-shiners with an appropriately compelling backstory.

And particular shout-out to one late game addition to the crew, her contributions are short but sweet.

Bruh, let's get IN. TO. IT!

Spoiler

You're right, I can't wait for a sequel. I would love to see this squad go on more adventures. I'm just so amazed at how this game grew on me over my time with it. So impressed with just how good it is. We should have realised this after Titanfall 2's excellent campaign, but Respawn are genuinely excellent storytellers and character writers.

What a time we live in when we've got this, The Mandalorian and Episode IX all coming at basically the same time. Star Wars.

#4431 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,910 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:07 PM

Just got done with Fallen Order, on Jedi Master difficulty. What. A. Ride.

#4432 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,295 posts

Posted Today, 04:21 AM

Bruh, it's so good! I just finished getting 100% and 1000/1000 Achievements a couple of days ago, and I had such a fun time doing it. Running back through a Metroidvania world with all the abilities unlocked so you can find all the hidden goodies and secret areas is always a delight, and this game is insanely meaty when you really start exploring. There were two absolutely massive areas on Zeffo that I never even saw on my first or second trips there; just totally optional places that were easily as big and complex as some of the main story areas.

This game almost singlehandedly makes up for EA wasting the Star Wars licence all these years. This is the big-budget singleplayer Star Wars game I've been waiting for since... like, forever. I think it's my favourite Star Wars game since Rogue Leader on the Gamecube. I hope they do some kind of DLC for it, because I don't want to have to wait until 202X for a sequel.

Anyway, in terms of other stuff I've been playing:

Night Call: This is a neat game I saw on Game Pass, which is more or less a visual novel about being a night shift taxi driver in Paris. There's a kiiinda sorta detective-y, case-solving frame story, where you're the (unsuccessful) victim of a serial killer, and a crooked cop investigating the case is blackmailing you into helping out, on pain of revealing your mysterious backstory to the world, but the actual investigative mechanics are veeeeery limited and it's more or less just guesswork. The meat of the game is just in meeting a whole slew of weirdos who need a taxi in the middle of the night; talking to weirdos is one of the underappreciated pleasures of video games. There was a nice moment where a Japanese tourist got into my cab and it was supposed to be a vignette about being able to understand people's emotions even through language barriers, but his dialogue was written in real Japanese and I could read it just fine. I didn't end up finishing it, and at this point I probably won't, but I enjoyed the couple of hours I spent with it all the same.

Tetris 99: So I ended up with three months of Nintendo Online subscription through Amazon Prime, or maybe Twitch Prime, and anyway this game is absolutely brutal. Tetris crossed with a battle royale is an interesting idea, but this game has really weird meta-mechanics around the basic Tetris-ing and absolutely nothing in the way of tutorials, and I just don't get it at all. I feel like I'm reeeeaaaasonably good at Tetris, at least on a good day, but I have no consistency with this game at all. Sometimes I come top 20, even top 10, and others I'll just get ANNIHILATED within seconds and come 95th or something. I think the idea is that every time you clear a line of blocks, you send it to one of the other 99 players in the match as garbage grey blocks, and you can sort of choose where you 'aim' them by specifying whether you want to send them to, say, people who are close to being knocked out, or people who are aiming at you. But I just have no idea about tactics or best practices, and no clue what to do when there are like five people all banging out Tetrises and sending them all my way. I'll be having a perfectly fine game and then suddenly I'll just have like 20 lines of garbage erupt on my screen, taking me out instantly. I tried watching some Youtube videos, but I don't get it, man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users