LotR

• Please log in to reply
578 replies to this topic

#81 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Filli looks a bit too human but maybe he wants to be one? The races live so close together it wouldn't make sense for them to be completely different as fashion is shared across cultures. I know the dwarves are meant to be isolationist but Filli is young, might be restless and travelled a bit. Maybe he went to laketown and saw some cool looking human dude 'hey I like is facial style' and went with it. His dwarf parents scolded him for being undwarvish but he's a rebel.

#82 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

Local wolf girl goes 'Awoo'.

• 9,005 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

The races live so close together

Actually, no. Most Men barely get along with each other, as it is. Heck, the Elves' rarity is one of the ongoing themes of the plot.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#83 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

So what? France and Britain before 1900 had a war every few years and yet in the peace time, Parisian fashion was copied in London. America thousands of miles away still copied Europe... in Moria the dwarves shared architecture with the elves and Bree has Hobbit sized rooms. As long as people travel, culture will spread. Even the best isolationists cannot be completely alone.

#84 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Member
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:11 PM

Yeah... um... wow. That last image... Bifer is frightening me. Bombur's braid is silly, but Bifer is outright scary. :huh: I like Bofur's hammer, though... I think... :unsure:

#85 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

For the love of Tolkien it's Bifur, not Bifer. Bombur made me lulz.

#86 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

Those are some really cool garden gnomes. But when do we get to see the dwarves?

#87 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Silently judging you

• 1,502 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

Those are some really cool garden gnomes. But when do we get to see the dwarves?

My sentiments exactly. Are we absolutely certain those images are authentic? If they are, Old PJ may be *gasp* losing his touch. The dwarves the look passable-to-good don't have enough beard, and the ones with enough beard look like an amateur applied the prosthetics...in my own opinion, of course. [Takes cover behind shield]

sml_gallery_15330_272_21744.jpg

Above image created by Saber-Scorpion and meme'd by me.

Profile picture created by and commissioned from: https://saph-y.tumblr.com/

#88 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Member
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:07 AM

Yikes, it takes so little to make you guys go from excitement and nostalgia to complete and utter pessimism about something. :P I'm gonna wait until we get a trailer or something so that I can see how the actors look when they're moving around and interacting with one another. I don't think that something like a dwarf with too little facial hair is going to ruin my enjoyment of a film like this.

Posted Image

#89 Bethany

Bethany

Mrmm mmrm! Mrmmmphm mrmmmm mrphmm mmmm!

• 1,277 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:09 AM

Yeah, the action and suspense, along with special effects is what I care about...along with good acting. I just hope they get that king dwarf correct, oh what's his name, Thorin? Whatever, I just hope he's cool and all.

qGC3VDI.jpg

#90 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Silently judging you

• 1,502 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

I'm just saying Peter Jackson has certainly done better with his concepts in the past, and seems to have lapsed a bit in these dwarf designs. However, you do speak truly, Sir Muffonious. I too shall wait for a trailer before making a truly objective judgement.

#91 Tyrannical Tim

Tyrannical Tim

SCREW ALL YA'LL IT I'M OUT YO

• 1,070 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

Yikes, it takes so little to make you guys go from excitement and nostalgia to complete and utter pessimism about something. :P I'm gonna wait until we get a trailer or something so that I can see how the actors look when they're moving around and interacting with one another. I don't think that something like a dwarf with too little facial hair is going to ruin my enjoyment of a film like this.

I like this guy, he has good points.
RIP Brave Members of the 2/29/12 bombing.
Posted Image

#92 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

I'd prefer this over 13 Gimlis walking around.

#93 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Really, guys? You don't think they could have made the dwarves look different while still keeping them dwarf-like? You saying all dwarves look the same? That's racist. :P Heck, World of Warcraft has a pretty good selection of different but still dwarf-like beards.

Varying up beard length is one thing. Giving a dwarf Astro Boy hair is something else entirely.

Anyway, I'm wondering where the rainbow array of differently-colored hoods/cloaks are. If those don't show up, I'll be sad.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#94 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• Nova Patron
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

I actually really like how Bofur looks.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#95 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

Posted Image

Balin...Er, wait, hold on a minute.

Posted Image

That's better.

Balin, Dwalin,

Posted Image

and of course, Thorin Oakenshield, King of Durin's Folk. I assume the sword is Orcrist, with it's Elvish design.

He looks like he walked out of the set of 'Game of Thrones'. :P

Edited by Richard, 18 July 2011 - 03:43 PM.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

'Something something, navel-gazing quote from prolific author and/or philosopher'

#96 Fenris

Fenris

Nom :3

• 1,476 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

Aah, now those are proper dwarves (Lazarevic yayz). Thorin looks cool and all with Orcrist, but I always imagined him as a little older, though...

#97 Rickard the Bearded

Rickard the Bearded

• 9,005 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

Balin looks like Awesome Santa, though, giving axes to the little dwarf kiddies who were good and slew their goblins and trolls.

wI9kNtf.gif

My Cultist Page

#98 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

Thorin, king of the dwarves... has a teeny tiny human beard. :mellow:

I'm rather distraught. However, Dwalin (LAZAREVIC! :wub: ) is looking pretty bloody badass, I have to say. I can't wait to see (and hear) him in action. It'll be amazing. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#99 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Silently judging you

• 1,502 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

Okay, now THAT's more like it! Balin looks older than I thought he'd be, but no complaints there. Orcrist's design is pure awesomeness; I especially like the notch in the scabbard on Thorin's back that incorporates the elven handguard. I love little details like that.

Balin looks like Awesome Santa, though, giving axes to the little dwarf kiddies who were good and slew their goblins and trolls.

Well spoken! That definitely made me....how do you say it..."Lohl"? :P

#100 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Dammit, I was hoping at least Thorin would have a ridiculously huge beard. I don't mind the short beards so much on the other dwarves, but he's the king! :(

The others are pretty cool though. Although they could all use a dash more color. This is The Hobbit, after all.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LotR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users