NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

General OOC Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1549 replies to this topic

#1521 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Quick update:

I'm going to hold off on Errant for a while, at least until everyone gets their free-roam characters posted in the general sign-up thread. I don't have much break time left, and what I do have, I absolutely need to use focusing on writing my thesis. When people start getting their characters up for the free roam, though, I can get that going.

For those of you interested in keeping track of my thesis progress and/or my creative works otherwise (since I'll still be updating my website every week during my Errant hiatus), be sure to keep an eye on my site, specifically the blog section. For anyone who doesn't already know, I've been posting a brand new Wulfgard story on my site in periodic updates, so keep an eye out for that, too. ;) You can find the discussion thread for Echoes in the Wulfgard board.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1522 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Will get a sign-up up sometime this week.

#1523 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:43 AM

Had a character. Realized that other characters would probably try to eat character.

I had a Demon-kin character written, but I know that being half-human would probably get him killed in The Jagged Edge, somI'll have to write up another. I'll get it up soon.

21.jpg

#1524 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:51 AM

I wouldn't be so concerned about survivability. If your character isn't interesting to you, there's no point to them surviving.

And if they are interesting... depending on how things go, who knows? They might gain a very big, very protective friend :P

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#1525 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

Like Burgs said, just sign up as a character you're interested in. I don't want anyone to sign up as something they're not very interested in just to suit the Jagged Edge. A demon-kin would be fine. ;)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1526 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

Glad to see some sign-ups appearing in the general sign-up thread! :D I'll be reviewing them soon (I just have a few comments, mostly, so don't worry).

As for anyone else who wants to join the free-roam group in the Jagged Edge, feel free to post your sign up(s) any time. I might not start the free roam for a little while longer, since I have to get situated in my university again very soon, and I have a lot of preliminary work to do in regards to preparing my two classes for the semester, etc., and getting situated in the classes I'm taking as a student, along with various start-of-the-year faculty meetings. But once everyone who wants to join has signed up, I'll work on getting something going.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1527 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

I'm nearly decided on my char. for the free-roam.

But, I do have a quick question (wasn't really sure where to ask it, so I just figured I'd do it here): Are familiars for mages still a thing in Wulfgard? And, more specifically, if they are, can they be a thing in Errant?

(This isn't a go-no-go kind of thing for the char. I'm considering, more of an it-would-be-cool-if).

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#1528 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

Yes, they definitely are, and yes, they can definitely be a thing in Errant. ;)

I can provide more details, if you want. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1529 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Thank you! And please, do.  :D

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#1530 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Without going into tons of detail regarding lore about the spirit realm and all this other jazz, here's the simple-ish version:

Everything has either a soul or a spirit; animals, plants, mountains, etc. have spirits, and humans, elves, dwarves, beastfolk, and most other sapient creatures have souls. Every creature with a soul has a familiar in the spirit realm; that familiar spirit takes the shape of an animal - an ordinary animal, not a magical creature. No one has a familiar spirit of a dragon, gryphon, etc. The animal is connected to the individual's personality, etc. (for example, Surandil's familiar is a raven), and the familiar shares their exact personality as well (although familiar spirits do not necessarily have to be the same gender). The familiar spirit is highly intelligent, but they cannot speak aloud; they can only speak to their anchor in the mortal realm (their "master," so to speak) through a spiritual connection, although they can understand the same languages as their master knows. Likewise, their master can speak to their spirit though that same connection; it doesn't require actual speech.

If none of that made sense, let me know. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1531 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

It's fine, that makes sense (at least, enough sense  :P ).

So, then, basically some mages can figure out how to summon theirs into the physical world, right? Do they all need an anchoring talisman (like Surandil's amulet)? Can the familiar be summon/unsummoned at will, or do they just remain permanently once summoned?

And what happens if the familiar is killed? (I have this vague memory from something you or Scorp wrote for some much older RP that the familiar just gets banished back to the spirit world for a while—is that right?)

Posted Image

#1532 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

It's fine, that makes sense (at least, enough sense  :P ).

So, then, basically some mages can figure out how to summon theirs into the physical world, right? Do they all need an anchoring talisman (like Surandil's amulet)? Can the familiar be summon/unsummoned at will, or do they just remain permanently once summoned?

And what happens if the familiar is killed? (I have this vague memory from something you or Scorp wrote for some much older RP that the familiar just gets banished back to the spirit world for a while—is that right?)

Yeahhhh... maybe I should bump up familiars to the top of the priority list for the wiki. :lol:

Yeah, a mage summoning their familiar to the world actually involves spiritual magic, not arcane, so a lot of shamans and druids have their familiars summoned, as well. They don't need an anchoring talisman, but that allows them to summon and unsummon them at will, which otherwise they can't do (the familiar will remain until "killed" unless unsummoned by a talisman).

Yes, they get banished back to the spirit realm. It weakens them considerably, but it doesn't kill them, and it may be some time before they are strong enough to be summoned back to the mortal world. When a familiar spirit is "killed" in the mortal world, it also hurts the soul of its master and weakens them for a time, as well.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1533 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

Sweetness! Thanks.

Yeah, a mage summoning their familiar to the world actually involves spiritual magic, not arcane, so a lot of shamans and druids have their familiars summoned, as well. 

Final, more practical question, for clarification: So, in RP terms, would one have to have Spiritual Connection in order to be able to summon their familiar, or would Arcane Gift also work?

Posted Image

#1534 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

Arcane Gift would be fine. A lot of times, mages just seek the aid of someone else with spiritual magic to summon it, since it takes a lot of time to master that kind of magic. You don't have to be a shaman to summon it.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1535 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

This post undoubtedly belongs more in that silly Pee Review thread in the other RP boards, but I'm going to be blunt when I say that that topic is full of weird elitists who would never participate in anything I made regardless of the subject matter, and the Errant boards are where the people who actually enjoy in my RPs are, so I'm posting this here instead. :P

The free-roam is moving at a great pace, and I'm really enjoying it and getting to watch all the characters interact. I don't want it to be so rushed, and to be honest, I'm glad that it doesn't have some overarching story that I feel like I need to keep shoving along...

So that's all great, but I'm also still antsy and impatient, because I'm someone who's used to RPing in real-time in a video game with 6-50 other people who are all virtually present and engaged and things are happening all the time and happening very fast. I'll never get un-spoiled. :P And lately, in some of my classes, I've been having that much extra free time and nothing to do with it. And I'm the kind of person who always feels like I need to be doing something with my time, if not just because I don't have that much time anymore.

So if I were to theoretically start another RP at some unknown point in the future, and I'm not saying I will, but what would you guys like to see? Another Errant campaign? A Nova Refuge RP? Something else entirely? Modern day paranormal?

I know that I'm willfully derailing my own thread, and this thread and indeed this entire forum is meant solely for discussion of Errant, but I'm going to break my own rules (since I can do that) and ask, anyway. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1536 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:23 AM

I wouldn't mind another Errant campaign, honestly. Albeit something in Nova Refuge would be pretty new and refreshing: or something else entirely, like modern day paranormal. ^^

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#1537 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

We shall never surrender.

• 1,420 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

From all that you've told and shown me about NWN, yeah, I can see why those would be some hard shoes to fill.

Something Nova Refuge-related could be fun, but I also like the potential of that modern paranormal setting.  You told me some time ago you want to DM something truly spooky.  XD

That being said, I know that free time can melt away any moment during the semester, so I would caution you about committing to another RP after all the work it took to consolidate.  I know you were also wanting to take more time to write for fun, so you don't have to stay glued to your work.  

If it's more RP time you want, though, the two settings I mentioned would be my picks, unless you want to co-run a campaign in Errant.  I've got a few ideas bouncing around that I've already mentioned in PMs, and have been eyeing your "Thanks, Partner" Errant achievement for a while.

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#1538 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:49 AM

What about a modern day, paranormal RP set in Nova Refuge? :P

If it's a Errant Campaign you want, I have several ideas, but the problem is whether or not you guys would be interested in them.

#1539 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

We can't tell you if we are or aren't if you don't impart the ideas... :P

So you guys are basically up for any of them? Alright then. :lol: I'm glad. Thanks, all.

I wouldn't say no if someone else did the brunt of the DMing, of course. :P Since, like Cappy said, I have also been wanting more time to write my own stuff. Trouble is, that hasn't been working out for a lot of reasons. In any case, I wouldn't start this other RP anytime remotely soon. This is just for future reference. But I could certainly participate in one.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1540 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

We shall never surrender.

• 1,420 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

So you guys are basically up for any of them? Alright then. :lol: I'm glad. Thanks, all.

I wouldn't say no if someone else did the brunt of the DMing, of course. :P Since, like Cappy said, I have also been wanting more time to write my own stuff. Trouble is, that hasn't been working out for a lot of reasons. In any case, I wouldn't start this other RP anytime remotely soon. This is just for future reference. But I could certainly participate in one.

Well, if levels of interest would help, I'd say: 1. Co-running more Errant, 2. Modern Paranormal, and 3. Nova Refuge.  :P

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users