NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

General OOC Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
1549 replies to this topic

#1501 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

Anyway, I'd love to do some casual free-roaming stuff with everyone. I'd want an NPC to bring along, of course. I'll have to think about that one. :P What kind of characters would people want to play (other than Ghostly, who's already posted his character :P ) and where would you want to start out? Just wondering.

For a starting location, I think it depends on numbers and what kind of characters we have. I would prefer if we started in a larger town or smaller city. As for a set location? I would have to take another look at the map - something that I've done around three times already - to really get an idea for location.

But like you said, Wolfy. Characters need to be looked over.

Edit: If a freeroaming group is put together, I agree with Burger Warrior. The team should be leaded towards somewhere, towards a larger quest or campaign.

Edited by GhostlyCheese, 26 November 2016 - 01:57 AM.

21.jpg

#1502 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:40 PM

I have plenty of ideas for some freeroaming out in the world - there are lots of things I'd like to explore. But I'd like to have a particular idea of what the group themselves wants to explore, rather than just me.

While Chasing Shadows and my semester both finish up (I'd like for both of those things to be complete before this freeroaming starts, since my schedule is insane right now - both of them should be done by December 12, or so I'm hoping/planning), maybe everyone could figure out just what part of the world they'd like to start out exploring? It'll affect what creatures and people you encounter, etc., so keep that in mind as you think about it. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1503 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

We shall never surrender.

• 1,420 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:24 PM

I'm always up for exploring Dwarf territory, though we'd probably need some legitimate reason to be there.  :/

I'm not planning to switch characters for the free-roaming if I can avoid it.  You mentioned Nordling villages on the other half of Artorius?  While we're here, I wouldn't mind learning more about that part of the island, assuming the king doesn't banish us from it after the fuss we're causing in his city.  :whistling:

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#1504 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

Going to Nidavellir in itself would be massively fun, but it's also very scary and a big undertaking (not to mention insanely dangerous), and that'd probably end up being more of a campaign thing than a freeroam, so... :P But we could definitely do something with dwarves, I think... There are a few dwarf cultures around that we could encounter, depending on where we go. There are quite a few dwarves scattered all over the face of Midgard.

As for Artorius, we could do that, too. Although I'll admit, some part of me wants to leave a lot of things in Artorius a bit more mysterious until whenever I can start posting my upcoming story, Echoes of the Mage-Emperor. On the other hand, maybe poking our noses into Artorius's lore and history would get more people interested in that story, so... I'm down, either way. :P

Of course, I'm also still open to alternatives. Remember, Errant isn't super boxed in - we can always "fast travel" to a place everyone is interested in exploring. :lol: Any other thoughts? Any particular cultures people want to interact with, or monsters/creatures they'd like to encounter, whether as allies or enemies? Jagged Edge adventures, anyone? :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1505 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,420 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:25 PM

Lol, yeah, I was looking more at the Blackrock Foothills or Ibesim than there.  Though I'd totally be onboard for an eventual campaign in that realm, especially since going there is half of a really cool achievement. 

Yep, I was leaning toward the latter.  A taste of background lore usually gets me pretty interested in a new story, or deepens my interest in one I already liked, in Echoes' case.

Eeep, the Jagged Edge again?  But we were in such a hurry to leave that gods-forsaken place two years ago.  XD  Well, at least we'd be choosing to go there this time.  Count me as mildly interested.

#1506 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

I definitely wouldn't mind some Jagged Edge shenanigans. Partly because then all my Special Races character ideas are somewhat mild and balanced in that region :P

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#1507 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:00 PM

The Jagged Edge would be interesting. I think I would go and write a different character for it, seeing as it gives opportunity to so many more races and characters. Also, there is a good chance that any of my characters are edible once in the Edge.

On the idea of monsters, while this is unrelated to the free-roam, I really want to see a dragon as a boss somewhere in a future campaign. Not now, but some day. *looks upon horizon* I think vampires would be a nice encounter, albeit dangerous.

But really, trolls would be cool. Especially when you have to fight them in confined spaces or mountain tops. I would love to see some Northmen, maybe a mead hall or fighting guild, I can see some drunken shenanigans already in the brew (pun intended ;)) Or Halflings, they're always fun.

21.jpg

#1508 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

The Jagged Edge would be interesting. I think I would go and write a different character for it, seeing as it gives opportunity to so many more races and characters. Also, there is a good chance that any of my characters are edible once in the Edge.

On the idea of monsters, while this is unrelated to the free-roam, I really want to see a dragon as a boss somewhere in a future campaign. Not now, but some day. *looks upon horizon* I think vampires would be a nice encounter, albeit dangerous.

But really, trolls would be cool. Especially when you have to fight them in confined spaces or mountain tops. I would love to see some Northmen, maybe a mead hall or fighting guild, I can see some drunken shenanigans already in the brew (pun intended ;)) Or Halflings, they're always fun.

The Jagged Edge setting would be interesting, but I see two problems with your post:

1. A Vampire was a main encounter in Arrowfall, and that campaign was dangerous enough already. :P

2. Halflings don't exist in Wulfgard. The closest equivalent is a hill dwarf.

#1509 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 06:35 PM

Sorry, I just remember someone refering to Hill Dwarves as Halflings, or at least "Halfling" being a nickname for Hill Dwarves. As it goes for vampires... I just have this thing about killing classic, conventional vampires. Gsrlic, sunlight, stakes, that sort of thing.

Also, I didn't necessarily say that I wanted all those things in the Jagged Edge :P

21.jpg

#1510 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

As an aside from our current discussion: Errant was, in fact, always meant to be my alternative to what I really wanted to do, which is run a successful roleplaying server in a video game called Neverwinter Nights. You can see my failed attempt to get people's interest with that here.

However, now the game is available for download for free, so grab it while you can (it's only free for a limited time). I still have the server and everything set up to run it anytime anyone wants to get together on there, so everything I said in that topic still stands. Trust me, it's an infinitely better alternative to forum RPing.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1511 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:27 PM

Helluva deal, one sec...

Done! Just one question, what kind of hardware would this require for decent gameplay? I've been thinking about getting a new computer, and I'd like to get one that would work well with a game like this.

21.jpg

#1512 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

The game released in 2003, so whatever machine you have should definitely be able to run it, if it has any kind of video card (on-board video cards could probably run this thing, today). :P NWN never did have the greatest graphics, but it has a very cool, classic D&D style and the monsters look awesome (especially the dragons).

But here are the minimum requirements:

Minimum system requirements - Windows: Windows XP or Windows Vista, 1 GHz Processor (1.4 GHz recommended), 256MB RAM (512 recommended), NVidia, ATI/AMD or Intel 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), Mouse, Keyboard.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1513 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hey, guys. Anyone interested in Errant should check out the sign-ups for a story I'm planning to start posting really soon. Most people already have, but I still posted a few notes and reminders. ;)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1514 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

• 1,420 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

With Chasing Shadows officially wrapping up soon, Maverick has requested further discussion of the freeroaming we were looking into for the Christmas and New Year interim.

The only consensus I noticed regarding location involved three people interested in the Jagged Edge.  Any other suggestions for our venue, or is that what we're going with?

Also, regardless of location, will the currently active characters be participating, or will everyone be bringing out new characters for free-roaming?  That's probably something we should decide on before we begin.  The former, naturally, would take less planning unless you already have new characters created and ready to go.  The latter could make this an even more effective placeholder and stand-in while the next campaigns are drawn up and fleshed out, though I know I'd be wondering what my main character was doing the whole time.  What say the rest of you?

#1515 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

As to locations... I have no opinion.

Whether we continue with our current chars. or not, I, at least, would not be continuing with Sarael for a free-roam (as a dedicated Templar, she goes where the order sends her). I could continue with Neitha, or not, depending on whether the rest of you want to continue the current group —I'm fine either way. However, I do have a pair of already written-up new chars. which I've been thinking about for a while, so either way I'll probably use one of them (whether in addition to, or instead of, Neitha).

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#1516 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,352 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

Unless Wolfy really wants to drag Caid all the way over there, I'll probably be making new characters myself. And probably fail to keep myself from making a small army of jotnar characters.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#1517 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Disney hates Childhood Heroes

• Nova Patron
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 04:52 PM

With Chasing Shadows officially wrapping up soon, Maverick has requested further discussion of the freeroaming we were looking into for the Christmas and New Year interim.

I actually have an RP Idea that will involve exploring that I will be PM'ing Wolfy about soon.

Though, due to my history of attempting to run RPs on SSLF, I'll most likely jump in with this freeroam one with either Oten, Agethar, Sebastian del Morra, or some new character. :P

#1518 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

I admit, I can't promise I won't just want to continue RPing as Caiden. He's kind of ended up being Errant's protagonist for me, in a way, and frankly, I just have too much darn fun RPing as him. I'm not sure I'm ready to give that up. :P

But I'll be giving it some thought. Right now I'm giving Chasing Shadows a little more time for interactions as I write up the big final DM post, which will then leave things open for character epilogues and some final interactions. That'll also leave things open for people to decide if they want to continue as those characters or try something new.

Right now I'm leaning toward keeping Caiden, but if everyone wants to try something new, I guess I probably should, too, so that no one feels compelled to stick with their old character(s) just because I am. I might try some other Wulfgard characters of mine, but honestly, I'll probably save my final decision until a few other people have chosen who/what they're playing as.

It seems we're leaning toward the Jagged Edge as a location right now, though, right? Wow, that should be interesting... and opens up some possibilities. :thumbs:

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#1519 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

Don't touch my SunnyD

• Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:31 PM

As characters go, I would probably write someone new. The CS I dropped earlier was more of a writing exercise than a legit character.

21.jpg

#1520 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

Sounds good!

Feel free to start posting some of these characters, fellas, so I can have an idea of a good place to kick things off and what kind of NPC(s) I'd like to bring along. Plus, that way, I can start writing up the beginning of the free-roam. :)

Oh, and tell me what to write next. :P

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users