NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Imperial ship at sea ((Chasing Shadows - Chapter I))

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
133 replies to this topic

#121 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,430 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

Rutger proposed a solution, Captain Stevan offered terms, and Caiden delivered the finishing blow.  Marcus was free to breathe a sigh of relief as the Templars agreed to speak with Kye, and promised not to harm him without provocation.  It was much, much better than how he had imagined the situation going, in its various horrifying iterations.  The thought creeped into his head that perhaps he would have been less nervous and been able to craft a better strategy if he had stopped worrying about how it could have gone wrong, but such thinking had helped him avoid numerous scrapes before and, thank the gods, it had turned out well this time.

Slowly, Stevan rose to his feet. "Very well," he said. "Bring this demon-kin to us, and we'll see if what you say is true. If it is, I give you my word that they won't be hurt... But I can't promise we won't take them with us to Templaria when this mission is over. An Inquisitor and a Venator should know best of all that demon-kin, wronged or not, are still monsters with the capability to use demonic magic. Even if this demon-kin somehow managed to never give in and hurt others, that doesn't prevent those who don't understand them from hurting them instead. So if it is as you say, we'll keep a watch over it while we're in Artorius, but no harm will come to it from us."

"Yes, let us see him" Sarael said, reflexively parroting Stevan in support of her commander.

Hephaestus’ steaming bellows, I knew I was going to miss a pronoun.  Bloody stupid gender-neutral tip-toeing… Marcus seethed to himself

"But, if it is true, what should we tell the others?" she added a moment later, her question directed principally at Stevan and Captain Ritter.  

The flustered Inquisitor was glad for the diversion.  Raising his hand to get their attention, Marcus offered “I would be honored to help you come up with some kind of explanation for the crew.  They have been marvelous so far, but Captain Ritter would know better than I how...understanding...they would be about this solution.  As for our other companions, I remember some who already know of this matter, but cannot speak for the reactions...or character...of those I haven’t met yet.  Perhaps we should table that matter until after you’ve met our friend.”

The Inquisitor clasped his fist over his heart, inclining his head in gratitude to Captain Ritter and each of the Templars.  “I gladly accept your terms, and thank you for your merciful leniency.  We Inquisitors know full well of the need to protect people from those who do not understand them, and I am glad we could reach an accord.”

With that, Marcus looked at the female Templar to whom he’d given his halberd [Sarael], saying with a grateful smile,  “We’ll go get our friend.  You can keep holding that, as a guarantee of my return.  I’ll get it back once you’ve had a chance to meet him.”

Upon exiting the cabin, Marcus closed the door behind him and Caiden, before leaning his back against it, breathing as deeply as if he’d emerged from the sea floor, rather than the captain’s cabin.  “Gods be praised, that went better than I was expecting...though I’d rather not do that again any time soon.”

As his heart reached a more sensible rate, he looked at his Venator friend and asked, “Now, umm...did Neitha happen to mention where she was hiding him?”  

---

After finding Kye and Neitha’s refuge, Marcus walked up to them with a smile that was equal parts glee and relief.  

We did it!,” he exclaimed, “It took no small amount of convincing, but when Caiden brought up Cae’s celestial judgment and your resisting that control rune, they were sold!  The Templars agreed not to harm you, and, in fact, they want to meet you!”

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#122 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

"But, if it is true, what should we tell the others?" she added a moment later, her question directed principally at Stevan and Captain Ritter.

Marcus gave his answer, and silence reigned until the Inquisitor and the Venator left to retrieve their demonic companion. As soon as the door closed again, Stevan rubbed his temples, and Captain Ritter stepped forward.

"I'm willing to listen to them, if not just for Caiden's sake," she said, "but I just thank the gods this isn't going to be my problem. We'll be in Artorius soon enough, and while I'll still be in port, I want nothing to do with 'good' demons and other nonsense. I feel sorry for you, Steve," she added, giving Stevan a pointed look.

"There are a few problems with telling everyone else," Stevan said, apparently electing to ignore the remark. "Firstly, we don't know how they'll react, and we could have a mob on our hands. Secondly, if the Coven got to any one of us, we would have that vital information and we could reveal that we have a demon in our midst... information that the Coven could use to do any number of things. They could blackmail us, turn others against us, or even turn us against each other, if they found the demon and managed to separate it from the group to control it somehow. All things considered, it may be best if we kept this to ourselves. We can't risk word getting out, and especially getting to the Coven, before we've got the demon secured back in Templaria."

After a moment, however, he finished, "But I don't support having dishonesty or secrets among the group. That, and it could be an even bigger problem if the others find out in way that isn't us telling them." He looked around at the other Templars present. "Thoughts?"

Ritter snorted. "I say keep it under wraps," she said. "Telling everyone is suicide. As much as it ticks me off that I didn't know, the most important thing here is to remember your enemy... If the Coven finds out about the demon, they can use both that information and the demon itself against all of you. Keep it on your side - if such a thing is possible - and it may even know how to get around some of the Coven's nasty tricks, since it's a nasty blighter, itself."

But she shrugged and added, "Of course, like I said, this won't be my problem for much longer. Just throwing in my two coppers."

---

Meanwhile, Marcus approached Kye and Neitha below decks again, smiling. Kye blinked in surprise.

“We did it!” he exclaimed, “It took no small amount of convincing, but when Caiden brought up Cae’s celestial judgment and your resisting that control rune, they were sold!  The Templars agreed not to harm you, and, in fact, they want to meet you!”

"That - that sounds too good to be true," Kye replied, trying to sound happy, but it came out more as being suspicious. Hesitantly, he got to his feet, nervously rubbing together the metal claws of his left gauntlet. "You sure this isn't a trick? And... even if it isn't, are they all gonna flip out if I go out of my human form in there with them?" He grimaced briefly. "They aren't gonna cut off my wings or something so I can't escape, right?"

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#123 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

"There are a few problems with telling everyone else. Firstly, we don't know how they'll react, and we could have a mob on our hands. Secondly, if the Coven got to any one of us, we would have that vital information and we could reveal that we have a demon in our midst... information that the Coven could use to do any number of things. They could blackmail us, turn others against us, or even turn us against each other, if they found the demon and managed to separate it from the group to control it somehow. All things considered, it may be best if we kept this to ourselves. We can't risk word getting out, and especially getting to the Coven, before we've got the demon secured back in Templaria... But I don't support having dishonesty or secrets among the group. That, and it could be an even bigger problem if the others find out in way that isn't us telling them. Thoughts?"

"I say keep it under wraps. Telling everyone is suicide. As much as it ticks me off that I didn't know, the most important thing here is to remember your enemy... If the Coven finds out about the demon, they can use both that information and the demon itself against all of you. Keep it on your side - if such a thing is possible - and it may even know how to get around some of the Coven's nasty tricks, since it's a nasty blighter, itself. Of course, like I said, this won't be my problem for much longer. Just throwing in my two coppers."

Sarael blinked, momentarily stunned by the flurry of words her question had sparked. "What? N-no, I —I didn't mean we should tell everyone, I was just... I mean... I was just saying that everyone else—" she said haltingly, gesturing towards the cabin door "—already knows that we're looking for a demon, so if we're not going to tell everyone, and we just stop looking after Marcus and Caiden bring... whoever-it-is in here, won't everyone get really suspicious? Maybe —again, if we're not going to tell everyone, and if this half-demon really is friendly— afterwards we should go through with questioning the rest of the crew anyways, like we would have before? And then, having 'not found' the demon, we could announce to the crew that it likely fled overboard fearing our inquisition?" she suggested, if rather awkwardly and hesitantly.

We did it! It took no small amount of convincing, but when Caiden brought up Cae’s celestial judgment and your resisting that control rune, they were sold! The Templars agreed not to harm you, and, in fact, they want to meet you!”

Neitha felt a burst of relief at Marcus' words, standing up and pulling him in for a quick reward smooch. "See, I knew you could do it" she said proudly.

Still, her joy was tempered by some concern. It almost seemed too easy... A sentiment Kye echoed in words an instant later.

"That - that sounds too good to be true. You sure this isn't a trick? And... even if it isn't, are they all gonna flip out if I go out of my human form in there with them? They aren't gonna cut off my wings or something so I can't escape, right?"

"Not if I have anything to say about it" she declared somewhat grimly, laying a comforting hand on Kye's shoulder. "I'm coming in there with you guys this time" she said to Marcus and Caiden.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#124 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:44 AM

A vaguely familiar woman laughed openly and raised her beaker to Percula and the cook, saying: "I second the motion. Burn it nice and good, Slaadislov!"

Slaadi… wha? What’s with humans and weird names? Perky thought, making a face, briefly. She also had plans to actually eat the tentacle, not just burn it. They had a perfectly exotic

Turning to the ‘elf’, she went on. "Hey, I don't think we've met: I'm Katrina Windborne, what's your name?"

“Uh… call me Perky.” She said, recovering quickly after being caught off-guard slightly. She hadn’t expected an introduction right out here in the open, surrounded by brawny sailors. Much less when everyone was rather busy discussing a possible meal of squid. “Say, you don’t happen to have a reason to want to burn a perfectly good meal, do you?”

As the ‘elf’ spoke, Rosette noticed Caiden and Marcus heading below-decks, and wondered what the result had been of their interrogation. Deciding everyone was suitably distracted, she attempted to snoop off and see if she could join up with them and Kye - she assumed they were meeting him for one reason or another - without being detected.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#125 Klaykid

Klaykid

Super Dooper Paratrooper!

• Nova Member
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

Sef sighed in dissatisfaction. She did not trust demons. In fact, she trusted vampires more than she trusted demons. So what that she had different standards for different creatures. She was human and she was imperfect. But her personal opinion did not matter anymore. The captain had made an order and Sef would follow it to the letter. Even if she personally disagreed with the decision. In all honesty, the choice to spare the demon (for now) made Sef feel less guilty about the incident with the duke.

"I agree with Sarael. Say it flew away at the mention of an investigation, or just say it flew away period."

gdV21HZ.gif

#126 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:04 PM

Stevan and Ritter both agreed with Sarael and Sef's inclinations: finish the inquisition like normal, and inform everyone that the demon escaped... even if Stevan seemed slightly disgruntled with implying they hadn't done their job.

Meanwhile, Marcus and Caiden led Kye, joined by Neitha, up to the main deck. From there, they approached the captain's cabin, and the door was opened just long enough to allow them inside...

---

The moment they stepped inside, Captain Ritter shut the door after them, bolting it and moving back into the center of the room. Even if Sarael hadn't pointed out Marcus's one slip of the use "he," which one of the two newcomers - Kye and Neitha - was the demon was exceedingly apparent.

Kye's chest was heaving despite his obvious attempts to keep himself under control. Sweat shone on his face just from nerves, and he swallowed hard, his gaze darting over the face of every Templar present. His hands shook as he held them down by his sides.

"I knew there was something strange about you," Stevan muttered, his blue eyes seeming to flare.

"This is Kye," Caiden said, turning to the disguised demon-kin. "Kye, they've agreed not to hurt you. They just want to talk."

"But I don't want to talk to some demonic illusion," Stevan said pointedly. He gave a nod to the demon-kin. "Drop the disguise."

Kye hesitated, holding his breath. He set his jaw and looked at Caiden. The Venator nodded. It still took several more seconds for Kye to muster up the will to reassume his true form, but after a moment more of utter silence, his human form melted away to reveal his wings, tail, horns, fangs, pointed ears, purple hair - all of his numerous, and prominent, demonic features.

When at last Kye remembered how to breathe, he opened his eyes again to reveal they were now bright violet and dimly glowing, though otherwise human in appearance. Again he glanced around at everyone present... only to see that Ritter now rested a hand on the long sword hanging from her belt, and Stevan's impressive muscles were tensed like a predator ready to pounce and only just holding itself back.

Kye's spearheaded tail jerked spasmodically once or twice before it resumed its usual waving back and forth, his wings pulled together so tightly and defensively on his back it looked uncomfortable.

"Okay..." he said slowly, taking a deep breath and clearly fighting to stay calm, "how - how can I... prove I'm not like them-- like other demons?" He swallowed again, but he forced more strength into his voice as he said, "Just tell me what to do."

---

Slaadislov, the cook, seemed quite satisfied with the response his idea got - if a little surprised - and he promptly hauled all the tentacles back with him into the forecastle, where he clearly intended to cook them up as a meal. He returned moments thereafter with some nicely prepared, chopped up bits of meat... they were still noticeably bits of tentacle, but they smelled delicious, and they certainly were not burnt.

"Eat at your own risk!" he declared half-jokingly, giving a large grin. "Dunno if it'll come alive in your gut or not, but it shouldn't be big enough to cause an issue!"

"Looks pretty motionless to me," Plexaura commented from nearby, arching a brow at all the fuss.

"Ah, don't judge me, milady," remarked the cook with a laugh. "Normally I only ever get to remind everyone of all the dried meats and junk we haul around on these barges. Only once in a while do I get to fix up a fresh meal."

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#127 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,430 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

Neitha felt a burst of relief at Marcus' words, standing up and pulling him in for a quick reward smooch. "See, I knew you could do it" she said proudly.

Marcus beamed at her affection, wrapping his own arms around her in kind, though Kye seemed significantly less comforted by the news.

"That - that sounds too good to be true. You sure this isn't a trick? And... even if it isn't, are they all gonna flip out if I go out of my human form in there with them? They aren't gonna cut off my wings or something so I can't escape, right?"

"Not if I have anything to say about it" she declared somewhat grimly, laying a comforting hand on Kye's shoulder. "I'm coming in there with you guys this time" she said to Marcus and Caiden.

“Agreed,” Marcus intoned.  “Should the Templars require any further persuasion or forget the oaths they gave us, we’ll most definitely need your help.”  Turning back to Kye, Marcus added, “and to answer your questions, I’m not sure if this is a trick or how they will react, all I have is their word that they would not attack you.  Still, if we are going to ask them to trust you on this mission, we should start by showing that we, in turn, trust them to keep their word.  If they don’t, well, there’s nothing wrong with making sure the blame falls on someone other than you, for a change.”  He highlighted this remark with a wry smile, hoping against hope that he was right.

---

When the four of them reappeared before the Templars, Marcus felt that the tension was so thick, he could have cut enough slices of it to serve to the entire crew, like bread.  Hands went to sword-hilts and muscles tensed when Kye shakily revealed his demon form; including Marcus’ own, as he instinctively stepped forward to partially shield his friend with his right arm, his left thumb loosening his shortsword in its scabbard, should it be needed.

"Okay..." Kye said slowly, taking a deep breath and clearly fighting to stay calm, "how - how can I... prove I'm not like them-- like other demons?" He swallowed again, but he forced more strength into his voice as he said, "Just tell me what to do."

Still in defensive position, Marcus interjected, “We’ve already established your potential for good, but it seems our Templar friends require further reassurance.  Perhaps further detail of the life you saved today would suffice, I only saw the end result.”  Tilting his head slightly in Neitha’s direction, he asked, “Neitha, dear, please feel free to chime in as well.  These fellows have already heard my side of things.”

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#128 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

After a brief time, the door opened again, and Marcus and Caiden reentered, leading a woman and... "You!?" Sarael blurted out in shock as she saw Kye; for, even if she hadn't caught Marcus' slip-up usage of 'he' before, it was clear who the demon was —he was practically sweating buckets from nervousness.

Unlike most of the others, she did not have her hands on any weapons; well, she still had Marcus' halberd, but it leaned casually against her should, held in place by the crook of her elbow. Even when Kye revealed his true shape, she did not reach for them —in any event, the sight of his physical form paled in comparison to the revelation of who she had been talking to...

She ran a gamut of emotions: surprise, shock, fear... and anger: at Kye, for not telling her the truth —though, at the same time, part of her could not blame him, as while she couldn't say precisely how she would have reacted, it probably wouldn't have been good for him; and at herself, for having been that close to him, having spoken —revealed things— to him, and not having realized his secret —that was her job! So many of the strange things he'd said, or not wanted to talk about, made sense now... And she'd told him...!

But, he'd been so nice, she remembered. Demons were deceivers, she knew, but... could that level of kindness really be faked?  Marcus' and Caiden's testimony indicated no, and she wanted to believe it —she really did; she wanted to believe that there were emotions that were beyond the ability of demons to emulate —even for manipulation. But she couldn't quite shake that worry. Still, she would give him a chance to prove himself....

Neitha reached up and lay a hand on Kye's shoulder in support as, shed of his disguise, he appeared even more uncomfortable. Her other hand rested on the hilt of her yatagan —had been, ever since they entered the room.

"Okay... how - how can I... prove I'm not like them-- like other demons? Just tell me what to do."

"We’ve already established your potential for good, but it seems our Templar friends require further reassurance.  Perhaps further detail of the life you saved today would suffice, I only saw the end result. Neitha, dear, please feel free to chime in as well. These fellows have already heard my side of things.”

Very well —if he thought it would help. She nodded to Marcus in reply, and then turned to the templar and began speaking —simply, bluntly, and without embellishment: "He saved my life. During the fight with that squid-monster, it grabbed me off the deck. I managed to cut through the tentacle and free myself, but it had already carried me over the edge of the ship. I would have fallen into the water —there most likely to be grabbed again and devoured— if he hadn't taken his true form and caught me, flying me back to the deck."

She paused for a moment, and then continued, her tone growing hotter and accusatory. "The only reason you even know about him, is because he willingly and knowingly risked death —both from that thing, and from you— to save me, when it would have been so much safer for him, and detrimental to us, if he had simply done nothing. I defy you to come up with a reason —any way— in which that was a selfish or evil act" she challenged, her grim and angry gaze flitting between the various templar and the ship's captain. "And, lest anyone even think to try and make the accusation, my blood is pure—" she spat the word like it was a curse "— and I'll prove it if you wish" she finished defiantly.

Sarael listened as the woman —Neitha— spoke. The woman's borderline-open hostility went somewhat over her head, but her words did not. She really did want to believe it...

"I... I think I believe them" she said softly to Stevan after a couple moments. "I did see him carrying someone... I can't say for certain it was her" she continued, with a brief gesture in Neitha's direction. "But I can't see why she —all of them— would lie about it. We've listened to all of them, and there's no evidence of evil intent, and plenty to the contrary... I don't know what else we can ask for. Th-that's all..." she finished, seemingly a touch embarrassed at having spoken.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#129 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

Supreme Alpha Male. Also the Last Jedi.

• Nova Patron
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:59 PM

Charon wiped the bird crap off of his cloak and briefly thought about blasting it out of the air.

Then it occurred to him that they must be close to some sort of island for their to be gulls around, and he dropped the idea.

To be noticed this early in the proceedings would be unfortunate indeed.

---

Uh… call me Perky... Say, you don’t happen to have a reason to want to burn a perfectly good meal, do you?

Katrina laughed and said "It's just an expression: it's a bit of slang that's just encouraging him to do a good job making that tentacle into a stew or something."

Just then, Slaadislov returned with bowls of Tentacle stew, passing them out to the group. Katrina took a bite of the stew, and grinned: it was delicious.

As she was finishing off the bowl, she noticed Perky glance at Caiden and several others go into the ships hold, and, when the elf moved off, she followed her.

Once they were away from the main group, Katrina asked "Hey, Perky...um, I was wondering if your with that group...with Kye. If so, I'd like to talk to you about something...in private, where the others can't hear."

#130 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

Katrina laughed. "It's just an expression: it's a bit of slang that's just encouraging him to do a good job making that tentacle into a stew or something."

Perky tilted her head slightly. From her experience with humans so far, saying ‘burn’ usually meant just that. Then again, it was a large world. “Ah. Well, back in Rognosst we said what we meant.” The ‘elf’ said with the slightest of smirks. That was almost entirely untrue. Maybe not for elves, but Percula hadn’t been nearly as interested in their kind as Rosette had been. Speaking of which...

Slaadislov interrupted her train of thought  as he returned moments thereafter with some nicely prepared, chopped up bits of meat... they were still noticeably bits of tentacle, but they smelled delicious, and they certainly were not burnt. Saffron grinned, her grumbling stomach thoroughly distracting her from where Rosette had slipped off to.

"Eat at your own risk!" the cook declared half-jokingly, giving a large grin. "Dunno if it'll come alive in your gut or not, but it shouldn't be big enough to cause an issue!"

Percula didn’t waste a moment before swiping up a few hunks of tentacle, the sight of them stirring some old, vague memories. She dismissed them, though, putting it down the the chef and Plexaura tossing comments back and forth. As the pixie turned away, though, she noticed a small congregation of her friends - including Kye and Caiden, namely - heading up from below-decks and into the captain’s cabin.

Wondering if it would help if she followed, the ‘elf’ began to lightly tread after them, only for Katrina’s voice a short ways behind her make Perky jump slightly in surprise. Fortunately it wasn’t a bad enough scare for an impulse release of magic. Marcus wouldn’t have liked that...

"Hey, Perky...um, I was wondering if your with that group...with Kye. If so, I'd like to talk to you about something...in private, where the others can't hear."

The pixie cocked an eyebrow at that. “Oh, yeah, I’ve been Caid’s… uh, partner for a while. I’ve known Kye for…” she squinted slightly in thought for a moment, “...almost as long.” Percula thought for a moment longer before motioning for Katrina to follow her, and the ‘elf’ began to head below decks. “If he’s got any secrets,” she added with a somewhat mischievous grin. “You can bet I know them.”

-----

Rosette, for her part, had scarcely made it across the deck when Kye was led out from hiding and towards the captain’s quarters. The tiny pixie darted after them, using her wings briefly for a bit of a boost… and bounced off the door when it was shut and bolted in her face. The dazed Saffron lay there for a few moments, groaning and rubbing her battered face, before she realized she was about small enough to squeeze under the door.

So she arrived in time to see Neitha defending Kye rather fiercely, and some of the Templars seemed inclined to believe him. Rosette chewed her lip nervously, taking cover behind whatever was closest and trying to listen in on what was happening. She just… had to know that Kye would be okay. Maybe even left alone, if somehow possible.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#131 Balder

Balder

Aww yiss, give me dose pets

• 155 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

In the time it took for Marcus and Caiden to return with the half demon Rutger had descended into a trance where he was quickly writing down prepared question after question and so ensorcelled he was in his work that he didn't notice their return until the Inquisitor spoke again. Startled out of his trance he looked up and beheld Kye, his disguise drooped. Rutger was stunned by the sight, despite the many records he had studied that detailed the demonic. To see for himself was simply an experience! Like his compatriots he tensed but unlike them it was not in preparation for conflict, instead it was clear for any that spared him a glance that he was holding himself back from leaping out of his chair and assailing the half-demon with endless question. The eager grin said as much. 

He did not listen to a word anyone else said as his eyes ate the sight.

"Simply amazing," he whispered in quiet awe. "The things we will learn... Ahem, Kye was it? Well then I have a few questions. First; I doubt Kye is your full name so please tell us what your full name is. Second; you spent your youth in the underworld, yes? How did you emerge onto the Earth? This is important information for if there's a path from the depths of hell to our Earth it imperative that such a path is swiftly sealed less your kin follow in your footstep and onto our backyard. This I trust you to understand would be a bad thing, perhaps you sealed such a path yourself in which case I thank you but must insist on you telling us the exact location for the event so that the order may examine it. Third; for how long have you been on our Earth and for how long did you reside within the underworld? Approximations are fine if you are unsure." He made to continue but stopped himself. "I have more questions, of course, but they'll have to wait until later I'm afraid. But answer those for now, I feel I can get enough of a judgement of your honesty from that."

kung_krarl_uggla_by_garaun-d98gsar.png

#132 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

Stevan and Captain Ritter said nothing as they listened to Marcus and Neitha continue making their case. Kye stood there trying not to fidget and fighting to occasionally meet the gazes of one or two of the Templars around, though he avoided Sarael's gaze in particular.

"I... I think I believe them" Sarael said softly to Stevan after a couple moments. "I did see him carrying someone... I can't say for certain it was her" she continued, with a brief gesture in Neitha's direction. "But I can't see why she —all of them— would lie about it. We've listened to all of them, and there's no evidence of evil intent, and plenty to the contrary... I don't know what else we can ask for. Th-that's all..." she finished, seemingly a touch embarrassed at having spoken.

Stevan was about to speak, but Rutger went first.

"Simply amazing," he whispered in quiet awe. "The things we will learn... Ahem, Kye was it? Well then I have a few questions. First; I doubt Kye is your full name so please tell us what your full name is..."

Kye shifted his weight between his feet.

"Second; you spent your youth in the underworld, yes? How did you emerge onto the Earth? This is important information for if there's a path from the depths of hell to our Earth it imperative that such a path is swiftly sealed less your kin follow in your footstep and onto our backyard. This I trust you to understand would be a bad thing, perhaps you sealed such a path yourself in which case I thank you but must insist on you telling us the exact location for the event so that the order may examine it."

Something in that particular bit of rambling seemed to light a fire in the demon-kin, as his tail gave an irritated jerk before it resumed its rhythmic waving back and forth and he swallowed, the metal claws on his left gauntlet grinding together some in frustration... but still he did not interrupt.

"...Third; for how long have you been on our Earth and for how long did you reside within the underworld? Approximations are fine if you are unsure." He made to continue but stopped himself. "I have more questions, of course, but they'll have to wait until later I'm afraid. But answer those for now, I feel I can get enough of a judgement of your honesty from that."

For a moment, Kye said nothing. He looked surprised, perhaps a tiny bit frustrated, but mostly just confused.

"Mortals really don't know anything about the Underworld, do they?" he asked rhetorically; it sounded like the thought escaped him without him meaning it to, as he quickly went on, "Look - I don't wanna offend anybody, but all those questions are just... that's my entire life, and I don't even know how long I've been alive. I could be... I could be a hundred years old or a thousand, or two thousand, or - I just don't know. We don't... do time like you people do up here. There's no sky, no sun, no moon, no stars - just... smoke and fire and frost and fog, or else just darkness, or something scarier. There's no way to 'tell time,' and there's no real reason to care. Everyone is too busy fighting or doing something a lot worse. You sleep when you think you're at least a little safe and you can't drag yourself around anymore, not when lights overhead tell you to."

He took a deep breath and shook his head, trying to remember everything Rutger had thrown at him and looking more than a little flustered and nervous. "I'm Kye Vakurseth, Prince of Pain, son of Akhoman, King of Agony, former agent of his unholy army, former personal slave of the lord of the noble svartalfarien house of Ixafar, and friend of the great dragon Flametongue... and some other titles I'm probably forgetting," he muttered, rubbing the back of his neck with his right hand.

"Like I said, I don't know how long I've been alive. I don't know how long I was in the Underworld, but it was too long. I found a tunnel up to Nidavellir, the land between this one and Hel. I nearly died several times trying to get that far. When I did get there, I couldn't find a way up to here. It took me even longer to find that, so I don't know how many years I was down there, either. And the tunnel I used collapsed and nearly took me with it." He paused to take another breath, his nostrils flaring, but he resisted saying whatever else was on his mind, gulping those emotions down and letting his fears take their place.

"I don't really know how long I've been here, either. A few months, maybe a year, I guess? Or... a little more? I'm not really clear on how all that works. I haven't gotten to learn. I'm always running for my life," he added quietly, in a factual but not condescending tone.

Swallowing, he paused for a moment before finally asking a bit meekly, "What else?"

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#133 Balder

Balder

Aww yiss, give me dose pets

• 155 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

After a long and informative answer from Kye to the scribe's questions that Rutger eagerly listened to and wrote down without interrupting the half-demon meekly asked: "What else?"

"Oh, plenty." Rutger Answered. "Pressingly you forgot to mention the location of your arrival to our good earth, I understand that you may not be certain of the exact location but anything helps. However, I feel that is enough for my judgement and I think you will be happy to find that I can fully recommend against dealing with you in the regular fashion! Indeed, it is my belief that your knowledge will be of incredible value to the Templar order and by extension the Empire as a whole." He announced with a friendly smile before turning to Stevan.

"I believe the decision is ultimately up to you, Knight-Captain, as you are the highest ranking member of the order present. I have given my view of things but I will of course conform to your decision should you not agree with my assessment though again I must stress the potential value Kye Vakurseth's knowledge."

kung_krarl_uggla_by_garaun-d98gsar.png

#134 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,175 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

Kye shrugged vaguely and said in response to Rutger, "All I know is - I think - it was somewhere... near Northrim, but it was up in the mountains mortals are so afraid of, the Jagged Edge. It was a long time before I saw an elf or a human or anything else 'normal,' as you guys might call it, even when I got here."

---

Once the Templars had their fill of questioning Kye - at least for the time being - he was released back out to the ship... though for all that time afterward, he still did not sleep, and he and those around him continually noticed there was never a Templar too far away, keeping him under constant watch. To say the least, it didn't work wonders for Kye's stress levels.

The rest of the Templars' inquisition was carried out as planned, in part in order to cover for the secrecy behind Kye's true nature. As it turned out, Charon escaped through what seemed like either a stroke of fate or a bout of dumb luck: as the inquisition was drawing near its end and the ship was drawing ever closer to its destination, the Templars took Adriana Dewitt into the cabin... and discovered that she was a demon-kin of Lust. To say that their actions were swift and decisive was an understatement. Adriana had no pleas of innocence nor anyone to vouch for her, and no way to prove she was not working with the Umbra Coven themselves - in fact, she did not even have any witnesses that she lifted a finger during the battle with the sea monster, as she apparently hid the entire time. Thus, the demon-kin was rightfully slain, and the inquisition concluded.

For the duration of the sail after, the ship was mostly quiet. Caiden took more and more time to himself, and it frequently seemed that he purposefully avoided the company of others. When he did occasionally appear, he was his usual silent self taken to a whole new level. The Templars, meanwhile, were often too busy keeping a close eye on Kye to be concerned with their Venator ally... though Plexaura occasionally stole Stevan away, for whatever reason.

With many of them now feeling quite exhausted of being on a ship, a great wave of relief seemed to wash over the vessel when the lookout at last called that Artorius was in sight...

((AREA TRANSITION: ZONE - Artorius ((Chasing Shadows - Chapter II)).))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users