• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

#321 Dagoth

Dagoth

Concept artist and wanna-be story teller

• Nova Patron
  • 711 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

Hey! Great work! The only things I would say would be to keep up the good work. I also have some methods for practicing:

Do master studies of the artists you like. It's a fancy way of saying you trying to copy their work as closely as possible. Of course this isn't for re-selling, and it's very necessary to credit the original, but this is a great way to find new methods of drawing, and thinking about drawing.

Next I'd say I'd love to see some life-studies of objects. I recommend drawing without looking at your paper. Just look at the thing/person and move your arm. I describe this as "feeling" around the shapes. It's not only great for practicing anatomy and building your reference, it will also give you art a new, clean look. Frankly it also teaches me to draw faster.

Hope that's helpful. I love, love, love the cobra, and it's pretty sweet seeing how your art has changed from when you first came around. I'm a huge fan of your compositions.

Hope that's helpful!

God bless.

Lord Dagoth's Artwork and Concept Design Page: 

http://forums.saber-...?showtopic=9506

There, you can watch my slow, ongoing path to professional Art and Design.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

#322 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:46 PM

Have you ever considered trying different methods for coloring? I assume you use colored pencils? The colors look great but they always come out very grainy/pixel-y in the scans you post. Maybe something like markers or colored ink would scan better... I'm not sure, as I usually only color things digitally.

Yeah, I've been trying to find an alternate version of coloring in my drawings, but for now, I'm sticking with the colored pencils.

Do master studies of the artists you like. It's a fancy way of saying you trying to copy their work as closely as possible. Of course this isn't for re-selling, and it's very necessary to credit the original, but this is a great way to find new methods of drawing, and thinking about drawing.

Next I'd say I'd love to see some life-studies of objects. I recommend drawing without looking at your paper. Just look at the thing/person and move your arm. I describe this as "feeling" around the shapes. It's not only great for practicing anatomy and building your reference, it will also give you art a new, clean look. Frankly it also teaches me to draw faster.

That's an interesting Idea! I actually have tried doing something like this with the art style of the 2003 version of the Clone Wars cartoon, but not with too much else.

Anyways, its time for some art!

First up, belated Inktober Drawings!:

Spoiler

Next, more Airship Concept Art:

airship_concept_art_2_by_dwestmoore-dbuy

Next, Fantasy Doodles:

fantasy_doodles_27_by_dwestmoore-dbuyx5o

fantasy_doodles_28_by_dwestmoore-dbuyx95

Penultimately, a Demon of Deceit, because I wanted to beat Wolfy/Scorp to the punch on something that should already exist in my fantasy universe:

demon_of_deceit__by_dwestmoore-dbuyxft.j

Lastly, something I sketched at work and finished at home:

tunnel_crawler_by_dwestmoore-dbuyy8q.jpg

As always, comments, critiques, and suggestions are always appreciated!

#323 Florent

Florent

Poe Dayumeron

• Nova Patron
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:27 AM

yooo I love the airship and Demon of Deceit a ton. I like the whole "mouth of Sauron meets Clive Barker" vibe.

eWjgVRV.gifCv9qYsI.gifWT0zDwa.gif

#324 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:57 AM

Thanks! 

Anyways, on to the Art! First up, N.D. Wilson fan art!:

100_cupboards__witch_dog_by_dwestmoore-d

100_cupboards__imperial_stuff_by_dwestmo

the_dragon_s_tooth__protagonists_by_dwes

the_dragon_s_tooth__antagonists_by_dwest

Penultimately, some stuff from my Sci-fi Universe:

infected_doodles_by_dwestmoore-dbvivjv.j

Lastly, this that I made for fun:

2003_style_arc_trooper_by_dwestmoore-dbv

As always, Comments, Critiques, and Suggestions are always appreciated!

#325 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:40 AM

Captured the cartoon style really well in that last one. Trying out digital coloring?

I like the first guy's spear too. Love a good boar spear.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#326 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

Actually, it was done the way I've done with my Digital Art:

1: Draw it by hand

2: Ink it

3: Trace it and Color it in Adobe Illustrator.

I have tried out drawing digital more recently though. In this that I made, everything is drawn digitally in Photoshop and then colored in Illustrator.

But thanks for checking out my art thread! I like getting comments on my art for once! :D

Speaking of which, I made a compilation of my favorite art from this year:

my_favorite_art_from_2017_by_dwestmoore-

Here's to another year of drawing things, hopefully things requested by you guys.

As always, Comments, Critiques, and Suggestions are always appreciated!

#327 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic.

• Nova Patron
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

Here's some Art from last year that I've been meaning to post:

infected_doodles_2_by_dwestmoore-dc0es6r

marker_test_1_by_dwestmoore-dc0esdv.jpg

fantasy_doodles_29_by_dwestmoore-dc0et4z

fantasy_doodles_30_by_dwestmoore-dc0etc0

I'm not sure if I'll upload anything on Saturday, since I've been helping out with renovations at our church and getting back with just enough time to get ready for my shift at Chick-fil-a. 

But anyways, Comments, Critiques, and Suggestions are always appreciated! 

#328 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,756 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

Really like the classical look of all the fantasy characters, especially the old wizard, the dwarf, and the uuuuunicorn!

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users