10 replies to this topic

#1 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

If every porkchop were perfect . . .

• Nova Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

POPULAR

What it says on the tin. I figured, with the amount of graphic design I've been doing lately, I oughta showcase it to somebody aside from family, friends, and the wonderful guys over at me Heroes roleplay. (shamelessadvertising.jpg)

So, I figure, without further ado, here is, speaking of Heroes, all the issue covers and a few of my favorite maps from the roleplay:

Issue #2 (no issue one because I only came up with the idea of doing issue covers - scratch that, issues themselves when we got to issue two)

Spoiler

Issue #3

Spoiler

Issue #4

Spoiler

Issue #4.2

Spoiler

Beige Towers Map

Spoiler

Cargo Bay Battle Map

Spoiler

Chicago 24 title card

Spoiler

Shady Alley Dealings Map

Spoiler

Chicago 24 Map

Spoiler

Cross Industries HQ Map

Spoiler

That's all I'll do right now, but lemme know if you wanna see more!

On May 9, 2011, HolyGhost said...
POWERSLIDE

heroes_and_villains_header___small_by_ra

Click the picture to check out Reaperman290's new roleplay, Heroes & Villains!

no I'm not just advertising it because it's a spin-off of my own roleplay why would you think that

#2 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

• Nova Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

A sneak peek for those who have already seen or don't care for the above images:

Spoiler

Comments and critique welcome, I'm only just getting started and am an eager artist hoping to learn more and get better.

POWERSLIDE

no I'm not just advertising it because it's a spin-off of my own roleplay why would you think that

#3 V.Metalic

V.Metalic

To defeat an enemy, you must know them.

• 5,114 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

The Raven Industries... its little blunt. Simple. Maybe add a ring either around the raven or behind him. Not a circle, but more like an eclipse, like that you look at the ring from a slightly heightened angle than just side view, where it would be just a line. And of different color than the raven.

Lestatsig_zps1b2b3b76.png

#4 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

• Nova Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:13 PM

The Raven Industries... its little blunt. Simple. Maybe add a ring either around the raven or behind him. Not a circle, but more like an eclipse, like that you look at the ring from a slightly heightened angle than just side view, where it would be just a line. And of different color than the raven.

I just attempted that, and it came out awfully. I even tried making an atom shape around it, that didn't work. It does seem a little "blunt" but apart from the rings, I can't at present think of something else to do to it. 

But, on the topic of PMC logo cards, here's some more:

Redorick Consolidated

Spoiler

Bauer Power

Spoiler

Starfox Dynamics

Spoiler

Arnold Refitting

Spoiler

Talon Corporation

Spoiler

Again, comments and critique most welcome!

Ib-ib-th-t-th-that's all, folks!

POWERSLIDE

#5 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

• Nova Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

'Ave some more!

Issue 5

Spoiler

Berlin 2033

Spoiler

Train of Death Scenario Map

Spoiler

Chunk Aerospace

Spoiler

Spectre Arms & Armor

Spoiler

Union Arms

Spoiler

Knox Robotics

Spoiler

Bordon Contracting

Spoiler

Rosson Corporation

Spoiler

Alright, well, that's it! Comment and criticize and like and whatever. Also, feel free to ask me to do something. I'm very open to taking suggestions. Always itching to make stuff.

POWERSLIDE

#6 Mr. Skeli'n

Mr. Skeli'n

kick me

• Nova Member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

This is my first venture into this topic, and I certainly like some of the designs. One thing though, when it comes to "company" logos and brand names, the more 'adult' or less flashy the logo is, the better and more well received the company is. Take a look at these 36 logos. I'm not going to pretend to know a thing about your universe, but a couple quick notes.

-Almost nobody does handwritten fonts, unless they're catering to a specific clientele (take SMART technologies for example- it's classroom materials for schools, usually elementary and high school)

-Gradients and textures are all but gone in fonts/names (IMB is kind of an exception, but that's not really a texture or a gradient)

-Sci-Fi companies tend to have either sleek or blocky fonts that look futuristic,  your Knox Robotics would be a great example of font choice, but texture. Works on the saw, not so much on the font.

It's always a great idea to look at what people in either real or fake industries have done, so here's some companies from the universe of Halo: Liang, Traxus, Hannibal, and Asklon. There's plenty more examples from across the web that you can find too.

The thing I got from these images is that you've got good designs, but the logos for the companies come off as non-serious things. Like, a professional corporation is a company with a logo like this and less like a mom and pop store. Think of these companies more like the people in suits who give power point presentations to 500 people at a time in company briefings and they only use the default solid white slides and Times New Roman.

These are just some helpful tips I've acquired through the years from other Graphic Designers critiquing my own work, and tips I've found across the web. Company logo and graphic design works differently for every genre, but sci-fi is 'held' to nearly the same standards as the real world when it comes to looks. 

#7 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:19 PM

Couple quick tips, if you *are* gonna use textures on your background (don't recommend it but you do you), then make sure it doesn't obviously repeat.
Additionally I recommend taking any logo and looking at it in greyscale on photoshop. This helps highlight readability issues such as on 'Arnold Refitting' the logo is hard to pick out from the background. These are pretty cool and varied, keep working on them and you'll get ever better.

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#8 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

• Nova Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

Hey, thanks for the great suggestions guys, really helps. I'll work on some stuff and get back to you later with some new things, taking your ideas into account.

POWERSLIDE

#9 Princess Floweraven

Princess Floweraven

• Nova Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Issue #1

Spoiler

Heroes & Villains header WIP

Spoiler

Heroes & Villains Issue #1 WIP

Spoiler

Beige Genetics

Spoiler

Cross Industries

Spoiler

Thanks to you who commented! Much appreciated. I'd love some more!

Also, I'll say it again, I am open to requests. Just ask.

POWERSLIDE

#10 Herbert

Herbert

Succumbing to entropy

• Nova Member
  • 807 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:54 PM

Improved already, I really like your concepts so I'll drop a couple more tips that fall within my admittedly limited knowledge.

Here's some critiques on your stuff to help you keep improving, specifically about the heroes and villians thing, because I think they're just a bit off of being super-well composed.

the first part, is that the left/right balance of the composition seems weighted a little to heavily on the red side, you might consider adding a bit of a diagonal, so that the tallest building is one side of the composition, and the smallest is on the other (roughly, it should still look like an assortment of buildings), and then the middle of the composition where the red and blue side meet have buildings of roughly equal size. Additional bonus design psychology tidbit, diagonals that start with the lowest point on the left side of the composition, can look more aggressive than diagonals that have the lowest point on the right side of the composition, at least in left-right reading countries.

One more thing is the little drop shadows you add aren't quite enough to make the foreground buildings distinct enough, I'd recommend either trying to make them slightly different colours or just excising them completely, knowing what to remove is just as important as knowing what to add. : p

I know it's not really realistic to go back and refine tons of stuff that you just do for fun, but I hope these ideas help with your designs moving forwards, and they are just suggestions, there's not many 'hard' rules with design. Keep posting stuff, I look forward to more. : p

STEAM: The Blind Idiot God XBL: Herbert111
Weaponizing demons for a brighter tomorrow.

#11 Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo

>mfw im judging your posts

• Nova Member
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:43 PM

I'm kind of an amateur designer myself, pretty much agree with what Skeli'n said. All in all, when it comes to graphic design and whatnot, less is way more. I recommend looking into Massimo Vignelli's work which has become a staple of America's history -- seriously, American Airlines used Vignelli's design for 46 years. I don't have much else to offer but if you want my advice, fonts matter. They seriously do, if you're doing a book choose one or two fonts and stick to it. If you're designing stuff in Helvetica, stick to it, but you can add visual contrast with a serif font. I had more stuff to say, but I'm incredibly tired. Any other questions you got?

Violence & Silence: It's important for all of us.

Here's my Art Thread (it's German for Arthouse) and ArtStation.

tqtEf64.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users