• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#21 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

Well Dood, I am definitely impressed by the consistency of your artwork and your updates. I've been following this for a bit now and It's kept my interest pretty well, though every once in awhile there might be a weird perspective issue. Still, it's very good, and I'll be reading!

I actually had a question though. What website do you use for hosting? My friend and I are starting up a webcomic soon and I just wanted to get some advice.

I use ComicFury, which is as good they come for free hosting. Ads are optional, you can code your own layouts if so inclined, linkbacks to the host are optional, if you have your own domain you can set it up to work with that, and Kyo (best admin ever) is on the ball when it comes to making sure the site is always up and in optimal condition. Basically, it's like a normal paid webhost only with free on-site advertising and a forum.
Also if you happen to be like me and have the HTML skills of a dead toad, the provided "simple" layout selections are very easy to tweak to your preferences without being obnoxious, which is quite handy.
There are places that charge you damn good money that aren't half as good as ComicFury is for free.

More generic webcomic advice, if you want to do on-time regular updates like this, then before you launch a website, post an ad, or do anything else at all, make a buffer. Just get 10-12 pages done early at the least, so you know how long it takes you to make pages and have a dozen or so on hand for situations where you can't work on pages. You will never be able to get pages done on time every week forever, and if you have no buffer you'll get bogged down trying to catch up, and then your comic will wither and die.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#22 Prattitude

Prattitude

I know what things are.

• Nova Member
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Thanks Dood! I've been talking to loads of people about it so the buffer Idea is already freshly pounded into my brain. ;) I'll have to check that site out, because like you, my code skills are equivalent to those of a dead toad.

#23 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:33 PM

Friday again! I thought for sure we'd not have one this week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a problem that can only be solved by YELLING AT WALKIE TALKIES.

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#24 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

Poor commander, all he can do is scream at people and hope something happens. :P

And I like how you did the shield around the ship, just having it partially show up where the impact was, clever way to do it.

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#25 Burngirl

Burngirl

You are clear for takeoff.

• Nova Member
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

This is aweshumosity! More more! Encore!

Posted Image

Photograph by me, editions made in Paint.net

Click the picture if you want to see my photography collection.

#26 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

Friday, beep boop.

Posted Image

Posted Image

He's just having one of those days.

Posted Image

#27 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next week: Turner!

What is this mysterious second member of the titular duo? Is it a strange tentacled abomination from only the darkest of nightmares? Is it a train that transforms into a bug? Or is it just some woman in her early 20s with crazy hair? TUNE IN AND FIND OUT.

Posted Image

#28 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Since when do you define redhairs as "crazy hair" ?

#29 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here's a freebie because if I bumped the sketchbook to post this I would be beaten within an inch of my life:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

I AM FRIDAYBOT, HERE TO BRING YOU THE UPDATES

SUBMIT OR DIE

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've noticed that the gaming weapons people obsess over almost more than the gameplay or characters are always the ugliest, stupidest things ever. Assassin's Creed has the fingerblade (finger remover), Halo has the "energy sword", and God of War has what can only be described as a weaponized application of Link's famous hookshot.

Who makes these things popular anyway?

Posted Image

#31 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

...What's that magazine she's reading? :P

Anywho, great update, I now have two favorite quotes! :D

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#32 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

"Max Shipping Co, We Don't Care."

Is that about me ? :P

#33 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

...What's that magazine she's reading? :P

Anywho, great update, I now have two favorite quotes! :D

She's reading Snarlbear because it's great.

"Max Shipping Co, We Don't Care."

Is that about me ? :P

Nah, they're just a terrible business.

Or maybe it is... :ph34r:

Posted Image

#34 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Posted Image

Early post because there's only one page this week.

Episode #102 starts up next week, so try to mail off your complaints to the editor and/or renew your subscription before that point.

Posted Image

#35 Burngirl

Burngirl

You are clear for takeoff.

• Nova Member
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

I love that last page. Dood, this is an awesome comic series, and I love the characters and the colors!

Now you have my itching in my seat ready to read the next page. ;)

Posted Image

Photograph by me, editions made in Paint.net

Click the picture if you want to see my photography collection.

#36 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

The long-distance rates are god-awful too.

Next week's update will be on Wednesday because working double pages into a schedule is like substituting a Duplo into a Lego set.

Posted Image

#37 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image

I remember way back in the day when I had a pathetically small monitor and tried to read webcomics. It seemed like each one would go out of their way to make their pages as huge as possible, and on forums banner ads or poor programming would often make huge pictures unseeable without going to each individual one and hitting "view image".

Now that I have an unnecessary huge screen (seriously, why make them this big), I can finally exact my revenge! ON THE SPOOKIEST DAY OF ALL! MUAHAHAHAHAAAA

Posted Image

#38 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Posted Image

Posted Image

Right after this is posted, Rise will update.

Posted Image

#39 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,358 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

Omahgerd he's short.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#40 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Omahgerd he's short.

The better to clatter about in ventilation ducts with, my dear!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Compliant murdering robot, can do.

Also that one comic Scorp makes with the stabby things and the airbenders is updating again, be sure to check it out. I dunno what his update schedule is yet but you'll figure it out I'm sure.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users