35 replies to this topic

#1 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:12 AM

The Spoiler Rule
When a new game is released, there is a spoiler ban on the game for TWO WEEKS (FOURTEEN DAYS). Spoiler tags are allowed during this period but only if correctly labeled as a spoiler. Here is how to use spoiler tags:
[spoiler]SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE[/spoiler]

This rule is being enforced to allow forum members to openly discuss a game, but won't have it ruined for them. After two weeks, information on the game will be out everywhere on the Internet, so feel free to post anything you want about the game.

Failure to comply with this rule, especially during the first week, could result in a temp ban spanning a week, despite how many days are left on the spoiler ban period.

Feel free to continue hiding spoilers even after the required period if you want to, however. It works nicely and is considerate to everyone.

The Piracy Rule

From this point on, any discussion about illegitimate/pirated copies of games will result in a warn.

Pirating is illegal and against the law, and SSLF does not support the said action at all. No one cares if you do or do not, do not bring that garbage here.

Topic left open to discussion for a short time.
Old timer

#2 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

The punishment for ruining a game is a temp ban until the spoiler free weeks are over.

#3 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:17 AM

Ooo I like that tidbit. Also left thread open for discussion, but apparently everyone is okay with it.
Old timer

#4 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

I swear this wasn't open before...

I also swear that Bolty posted this first.

Anyway yeah, I think this is a good idea. If someone really wants to spoil a game for themselves, by all means, go ahead. Just don't wreck it for the rest of us.

#5 Exilninja

Exilninja

Monster of the West.

• 1,515 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

Its a good idea you have came up with here. Wheneve I post spoilers, I ALWAYS turn the writing invisible, and write SPOILER WARNING in red letters. So at least this rule should keep the idiots from ruining it for others.

Edited by Exilninja, 12 February 2010 - 10:35 PM.

New_Vegas_Intro_5.gif

#6 The unknown

The unknown

Spec Ops Commando

• 5,524 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

You should put this rule too in the Silver Screen. Though going from 2 to 4 weeks for the spoilers. But this wouldn't affect movies already on DVD/Blue-Ray. That way both board would show less spoilers and less raging people too.

#7 Nemesis

Nemesis

It's a mumorpuger!

• 825 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:22 AM

Its a good idea you have came up with here. Wheneve I post spoilers, I ALWAYS turn the writing invisible, and write SPOILER WARNING in red letters. So at least this rule should keep the idiots from ruining it for others.

You know that there are new poiler tags right?
Spoiler

Anyway, what about stuff related to a game (e.g a ViDoc) that has been released but that are new and so people might not have seen. I know most people would love to see any ViDocs released on a new game, but there may be some people who want it to be a complete suprise.
...I really need to think up something witty to put here.

#8 Spartan5511

Spartan5511

That was pretty ninja

• Nova Member
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:41 AM

Good, glad this is a new rule. I hate knowing the ending to games and stuff and before I beat it myself.

Edited by Spartan5511, 14 February 2010 - 03:42 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

Anyway, what about stuff related to a game (e.g a ViDoc) that has been released but that are new and so people might not have seen. I know most people would love to see any ViDocs released on a new game, but there may be some people who want it to be a complete suprise.

Anything pre release and official (ie vidocs, trailers) is fine. However any leaked info will need spoilers.

#10 Exilninja

Exilninja

Monster of the West.

• 1,515 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:53 AM

You know that there are new poiler tags right?

Spoiler

I know, shut up.

Edited by Exilninja, 15 February 2010 - 04:53 AM.

New_Vegas_Intro_5.gif

#11 Osolis Mantis

Osolis Mantis

One day we'll be nostalgic for disaster

• Nova Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

I am lobbying for two weeks! TWO WEEKS, I SAY!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<({[RAGE.wit]})>-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~<({[If there's one thing I know in this world, it's that we are Beggars all]})>~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
{Zapman: Transferred - UNDER REVISION}-~-~-~-~{Gavin Nequam and the Hall of Prophecy - UNDER REVISION}
{Vagabond - IN PROGRESS}-~-~-~-~{Kingdom Hearts: In The Dark - ON INDEFINATE HIATUS}
{12-8-2007 - COMPLETE}-~-~-~-~-{Legend of the Five: Rise of the Small - IN PROGRESS}

#12 Hawk

Hawk

My name is Mabel, but you can call me the girl of your dreams.

• Nova Member
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

I agree with Osolis, two weeks seems better. After the game comes out I'm sure people would like to ask those who have it if its good, they should be able to do so without fear of spoilers for a couple of weeks. By then spoilers should be more than fine and any hype for the game passed by.

mabel_signature.gifmabel_dance.gifmabel_kittens.gif

Takes regular visits to sweater town. 

#13 Delta

Delta

SSLF's Subject 16

• 890 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

Hmm, yeah I think 2 weeks would be better, because not everyone might get the game the day it comes out, and (like Hawk said) if people are asking about it, interested in getting it, they risk spoilers.

Posted Image

#14 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

Hmm. I'd think one week is long enough because by then no matter where you go on the internet, you are going to stumble on something. Even a longish game like Mass Effect was EVEYWHERE after only a few days. Two weeks is too long, I don't want to stop people who want to talk about it, it's going to be fresh and exciting in their minds but after 2 weeks maybe not so. Besides, I don't want to ban someone for 2 weeks just because Snape kills Dumbledore.

My advice? Don't come on the internet when a new game is released.

#15 Blade

Blade

Captain Moustache

• Nova Member
  • 5,399 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hmm, yeah I think 2 weeks would be better, because not everyone might get the game the day it comes out, and (like Hawk said) if people are asking about it, interested in getting it, they risk spoilers.

I second this. Not everyone (a poor sod like me, for example) can afford the game as soon as it comes out, and usually need to wait a bit to try to convince our parents using reviews to get it (and, also, to make sure the game isn't a dud).

#16 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

Well can you not pop into the topics during the first week, read what's said then avoid the topic once the spoiler free rule is up? I need to balance between not spoiling people and letting the people who have it (and thus freshly excited by it) a chance to discuss it. To me, two weeks seems too long for them to wait. But one week is reasonable because not everyone will finish it.

Though I could make it 2 weeks if there was enough support for it. Why don't we trial it for a few games at one week first?

#17 Delta

Delta

SSLF's Subject 16

• 890 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:25 PM

what about something like 10-11 days? A nice middle ground between 1 week and 2.

Posted Image

#18 Anasazi!

Anasazi!

FIRE IS MOTION. WORK IS REPITITION.

• 566 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

The punishment for ruining a game is a temp ban until the spoiler free week is over.

Shouldn't it be an entire week because they could just do it on the 7th day and get off scot free?
Cap'n Jazz & Tera Melos are the best bands ever ever.

#19 Goldy

Goldy

Sergeant Major

• 3,093 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

Shouldn't it be an entire week because they could just do it on the 7th day and get off scot free?

It's to stop them spoiling the game. After the 7th day it won't matter will it?

#20 880_ZERO

880_ZERO

I give lead enemas.

• Nova Member
  • 9,450 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:25 AM

If you don't get the game the day it comes out and expect to get it in like two weeks or a month or whatever, you risk spoilers anyways. I mean its not like your friends at school won't be talking about it or it won't ever be on IGN. Spoilers will pop up regardless and SSLF can't save you from that. The one week ban is fair in the respect that it lasts longer than anywhere else. Unless you don't go outside/on the internet, spoilers will be all around you.

I second this. Not everyone (a poor sod like me, for example) can afford the game as soon as it comes out, and usually need to wait a bit to try to convince our parents using reviews to get it (and, also, to make sure the game isn't a dud).

Reviews have spoilers in them. You contradict yourself.
Old timer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users