The Video Game News/Countdown to E3 Thread

• Please log in to reply
7558 replies to this topic

#7541 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

And I will not be the dasher of a certain person *cough* Ocelot *cough* and say a certain game will likely not be at E3 this year.

Of course you won't, because it's definitely going to be there and everybody knows it. After all the teasing Capcom has been doing, only a PRIZE JABRONI could possibly believe otherwise.

Oh, by the way, Yakuza Kiwami 2 has just been confirmed for a Western release on August 18th this year:

vZisYL4.gif

#7542 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

dO yOu bLeEd?

• Nova Patron
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:12 AM

I don't think I'll ever play a Lego Game aga-

#7543 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:39 AM

Here's a cheeky little check-in with some video game news, just in case anyone's forgotten about those things. Those video games.

CD Projekt has a few things to say about Cyberpunk 2077:

- It's going to be at E3 this year

- It's probably going to be a cross-generation project, since the studio's tech is "ready to interface with future generations" and can take advantage of "future, very powerful hardware". This is one of those things that initially sounds surprising, but when you consider that even if it comes out late this year, there's almost definitely going to be a PS5/Xbox Next HD remaster, it makes sense.

- It has a character creator and you can choose between multiple classes

- They're committed to making a big ol' Witcher 3 style singleplayer RPG with no microtransactions whatsoever. However, they're also hinting at some kind of multiplayer element down the line

A Spyro the Dragon remake, presumably in the vein of the Crash Trilogy from last year, is like 99% confirmed. Game journalists are being sent mysterious purple, scaly eggs with cards signed 'Falcon McBob', which is a currently private Twitter account, so I imagine things are going to start popping off at least by E3.

Game Informer is going to announce Spider-Man PS4's release date tomorrow, and here's some new footage:

EDIT - It's September 7th.

EDIT AGAIN - Looks like the Spyro Trilogy leaked. September 21st for $40:

DZ_5DvWVwAAvocW.jpg

EDIT SOME MORE - Yep it's real alright:

#7544 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,832 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

That's pretty awesome. Spyro the Dragon is easily my favorite platformer game. I played tons of 'em as a kid, but none came close to Spyro for me. I don't even know how many times I've played the first game all the way to 100%. I know it like the back of my hand - its every enemy, every secret is as familiar to me as... well, something very familiar. :P

The second game also has a special place in my heart. It didn't have quite the same level of pure appeal, but it came awfully close. I still remember wandering around the seasonal-themed zone hubs after reaching 100% complete, standing and listening to the music, and thinking "gosh, I wish there was more to do here; I could keep exploring this game forever".

The third game sucked though. I felt nothing for it at all. I think it was the idiotic Space Monkey character that killed it for me. I liked the secondary characters in Spyro 2 (Alora, Hunter, and the Professor), but I only ever want to play a Spyro game as Spyro. At least for an extended period. And I certainly don't want to play as a monkey from outer space. Like, the first game had Gnorcs with machine guns and grenades in the final maps, but those were kind of awesome. A space monkey? That's just "lol cheese underpants!" humor that never felt like it belonged in the fantasy world of Spyro.

As for the remake, I have my complaints about some of the new designs (I don't remember the adult dragons looking that silly), and I still think the old games with their original graphics are way more appealing, but I'm an old man, so maybe that's just me. :P I'll probably stick to my dusty PS1 CD's, but I'm glad kids will get to experience the greatness of the original Spyro again, and not just the crappy reboots and spinoffs (like the ugly Warp Stalker version of Spyro in Skylanders... ugh).

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#7545 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:54 AM

I'll be one of those kids! I think I played a tiny bit of a Spyro on one of those PSX demo discs way back in the early 14th century, but I've definitely never played a full one, so I'll be happy to check this out.

In other news, I don't know exactly what this is, but Ubisoft has posted some kind of Sam Fisher teaser for Tom Cuh-Lancy's Ghost Recon's Wildlands, featuring the real Sam Fisher himself: Michael Ironside:

They're revealing the full details on April 9th; I'm guessing it's some kind of DLC for Wildlands. Buuuut, with rumours of a new Splinter Cell going around, I'd love if it turned out to be some kind of cheeky marketing stunt for the return of Splinter Cell (and the return of Michael Ironside's ridiculous voice) at E3. Similar to the way Capcom has been surreptitiously keeping Devil May Cry in the public mindshare for the past few months, gearing up for what we all know is coming in just a couple of months...

#7546 Randomman96

Randomman96

Someone you probably weren't expecting

• Nova Member
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:53 PM

In other news, I don't know exactly what this is, but Ubisoft has posted some kind of Sam Fisher teaser for Tom Cuh-Lancy's Ghost Recon's Wildlands, featuring the real Sam Fisher himself: Michael Ironside:

They're revealing the full details on April 9th; I'm guessing it's some kind of DLC for Wildlands. Buuuut, with rumours of a new Splinter Cell going around, I'd love if it turned out to be some kind of cheeky marketing stunt for the return of Splinter Cell (and the return of Michael Ironside's ridiculous voice) at E3. Similar to the way Capcom has been surreptitiously keeping Devil May Cry in the public mindshare for the past few months, gearing up for what we all know is coming in just a couple of months...

Yes, short version is it's basically a large, couple month long DLC event for free to all players.  Basically what Ubisoft is doing with the multiplayer/Co-Op focused stuff that originally launched with paid DLCs is shifting over to the Rainbow Six Siege/For Honor DLC model, AKA 4 seasons of free content each year.  

And if this isn't confirmation that Ubisoft is most definitely working on a new Splinter Cell, I don't know what is.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7547 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,176 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

And if this isn't confirmation that Ubisoft is most definitely working on a new Splinter Cell, I don't know what is.

I don't think they'd shell out the cash for Ironsides for just an expansion for GRWL.  There has to be a new Splinter Cell coming.  

...please...

lWZ8e6F.png

#7548 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:27 AM

Here's the new list of original Xbox games coming to the Xbox One via backwards compatibility:

iVVTL9h.png

And six more Xbox 360 games are getting Xbox One X enhancement patches, so if you ever wanted to play Red Dead Redemption at full 4K, the time has come (screenshots stolen from this Resetera thread):

cpNmpIS.jpg

Also, I hope you're ready for your favourite time of the year, EA'S E3 PRESS CONFERENCE! EA has sports to show you, and they care not how desperately you crave death! Do you see that '2am AWST' down there? That's me, you guys. TWO IN THE MORNING. Please don't make me watch this one on my own.

gqfkTCr.jpg

EDIT - YOU GUUUUYS, E3 things are stirring!

Michael Ironside says "I never left. I am Sam Fisher" in an interview with IGN. And here's a cheeky little Metal Gear Easter Egg from the Splinter Cell/Wildlands thing Ubisoft has going (I honestly feel like this is a better sendoff to Snake and Metal Gear than Konami will ever do):

And in other E3 news, Pete Hines has this to say:

I couldn’t give you any guesses as to what we’re going to announce and when those games will be out. But I will say, we have a lot of new stuff to talk about at E3. Whether or not folks realize it, this is the hell on Earth time for us with E3. We are in the midst of so much planning and work for all of that content but I’m really excited.

Hell on Earth, he says. Now where have I heard that before...

jMDsQq9.png

RIP AND TEEEEEEAAAAARRRRR!

#7549 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

Shenmue 1 + 2 HD is coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC this year, and I'm finally going to play these suckers. It's only $30 US:

In further Sega news, Valkyria Chronicles 1 is coming to Switch, and there are Yakuza and Virtua Fighter costume packs coming to that Persona 5 dancing game as DLC:

2243f52251.jpg

Ryuji as Ryuji is a pretty good match :P

EDIT - Oh, by the way, everybody gave the new God of War a 10/10 and it's currently the third highest rated game of this generation on Metacritic, behind Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey:

uSBrfyA.jpg

#7550 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:49 PM

I hope you're all hard at work getting SUPER HYPED BEYOND ALL REASON, because now Ubisoft and Microsoft have both confirmed the date and times of their E3 press conferences!

Ubisoft:

Save the Date, #UbiE3 is coming! Join us on June 11, from 1pm PT. 
More to come, stay tuned...

Here at Xbox, we’re hard at work getting ready for the big show. We’ll be kicking things off with our annual Xbox E3 2018 Briefing, which you can watch live beginning on Sunday, June 10 at 1 p.m. PDT. During the briefing, you’ll have a chance to check out everything from in-depth looks at previously-announced games to trailers for our unannounced titles coming in 2018 and beyond. You can watch the Xbox E3 2018 Briefing live beginning at 1 p.m. PDT on Sunday, June 10 on the official Xbox Mixer Channel or on the Mixer app for Xbox One and Windows 10.

THE THING THAT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR IS HAPPENING AGAIN! HYYYYYYYYYPE!

#7551 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 01:42 AM

You GUYS! Oh my Gawd, I've been dying here! Circumstances have transpired to keep me away from the internet for TWELVE WHOLE DAYS, and I've been gasping. You don't even know. It was a fate worse than death. A lot of atrocities have happened throughout human history, but I think you'll all agree that spending almost two weeks of 2018 without any internet is definitely worse than all of them put together. Definitely.

But let's catch up on video game news, though! There's a new Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer:

Some new Beyond Good & Evil 2 footage:

There's a new mod for Dark Souls 3 that adds Stands, and it was all worth it for this amazing trailer:

That new God of War sold 3.1 million copies in three days, making it the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive.

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer is now available on GOG.com.

Oh, and by the way, I just wanted to mention that we are JUST OVER A MONTH AWAY FROM E3! It's coming, you guys! Whether you're ready or not!

#7552 Spark

Spark

Guardians make their own fate.

• Nova Member
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

I haven't even thought to put the RDR2 trailer here the past couple of days, been pre-occupied.

Man, I can't not be enthusiastic about that game. Like yeah, there was all that scummy stuff T2/R* was pulling with GTA Online. That hasn't stopped being a thing. And there's logic to thinking that they'd hurt RDR2's singleplayer to make something similar for its MP.

But I don't think that's gonna happen here. Like at all. Let the MP be what it'll be. This SP looks like it's gonna be another R* great.

PXwSeJy.png

(Click to go to my Tumblr!)

#7553 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

Man, I can't not be enthusiastic about that game. Like yeah, there was all that scummy stuff T2/R* was pulling with GTA Online. That hasn't stopped being a thing. And there's logic to thinking that they'd hurt RDR2's singleplayer to make something similar for its MP.

But I don't think that's gonna happen here. Like at all. Let the MP be what it'll be. This SP looks like it's gonna be another R* great.

Yeah....  About that.

According to some previews on the game, there's a base building mechanic in there.  And those are totally never paired with heavy MTXs when there's a online component to the game.

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7554 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:41 PM

I haven't even thought to put the RDR2 trailer here the past couple of days, been pre-occupied.

Yeah, I'm there, too. Like, empirically I know that Rockstar is probably the biggest microtransaction company there is, and I'll always be dirty about them abandoning GTA V singleplayer expansions to dig deeper into GTA Online, but at the end of the day, this is Rockstar making another cowboy game and I don't think anything could stop me getting hyped about it.

These days I'm under no illusions that Rockstar makes perfect games or nothin'. In terms of game feel, they're probably some of the worst developers out there; I don't know why they insist on having their characters control so sluggishly. They're so bad at making decent shooting controls that you have to use lock-on aiming like we're in the PS2 generation. But they also make the most incredible, lifelike video game worlds, and after a few minutes out there exploring all my complaints about controls and mission design just fade away. Like, if you asked me what was good about Red Dead Redemption, I certainly couldn't tell you it was the gameplay, or the endless horse and cart races, or even the story (Rockstar stories are almost always "stick in the mud main character runs errands for procession of zany side characters"). But I still think that RDR was one of the best games of the last generation, and I have so many wonderful memories of just riding my horse through that world, under the stars at night or through the snowy forest, thwarting a random crime as I passed by or getting killed by a cougar out of nowhere.

Oh boy, Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming, you guys! I think it just hit me. It's this year!

EDIT - Microsoft is promising a "Record-setting road to E3", and "a fantastic lineup of new games for Xbox players at E3 2018", and I can't wait to see'em! I'm teetering on the precipice of buying an Xbox One X, and I need Microsoft to come along and knock me off the edge with some hot fire exclusives and junk.

#7555 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

If you aren't already holding onto your butts, then FIND THOSE BAD BOYS AND GET A GOOD GRIP, because Square Enix has just announced they're holding their own special E3 conference again this year!

DcrSjOeXkAA3Xct.jpg

Those of you playing along at home will no doubt remember that the last time Square did this they ended up announcing Nier Automata out of the blue. Or, to put it another way, Square has announced a new Nier game at 100% of their past E3 conferences. What I'm saying is that Ni3R is confirmed. It's simple mathematics, really.

#7556 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

Normally I don't post any thing related to Overwatch (based on my views about the game that I'm not going to get into), but this is a bit different a deserves it's post.  

Blizzard is releasing a paid only Mercy Skin that is up for sale from now to May 21st, as a drive for charity.  Namely Breast Cancer Research, where all proceeds will go to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

It's for sale online or in game, and with a hefty $15USD price tag for just a single skin.  But hey, it's for charity, namely breast cancer research.  

So hey, if you're not going to do it for the skin, do it for charity.  And if you're not going to do it for charity, do it at least to save the [The rest of this post has been redacted to keep SSLF family friendly]

5Sa8Z49.gif

#7557 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

BREAKING NEWS! MEGATONS!

Sony appears to be doing a Nintendo Direct for E3 this year, as in a pre-recorded show with no live stage presence. The link goes to a podcast which nobody's going to listen to, so here's a synopsis I stole from Resetera:

Monday, June 11th 2018, details coming soon
Exclusive looks and deep dives on 4 upcoming Sony World Wide Studios titles
Death Stranding
Ghosts of Tsushima
Spider-Man
The Last of Us Part II
Highlight on indies
3rd party publishers (as usual)
No hardware announcements at E3 2018 (PS5 reference?)

So I guess it's just the usual thing, only pre-recorded and without the VR rubbish bogging things down. And there's still a spot for third party stuff, so DMCV is still definitely happening. It's a shame we won't get to hear the screams and explosions of hype in the crowd when DMCV overshadows everything else there, but it should be fine, I spose.

BUT WAIT, THERE ARE MORE MEGATONS AND THEY MIGHT INVOLVE DMCV!

t4oiYcQ.png

Now, we don't know if those 'action/adventure' listings are three different games or one multiplatform thing, and we don't know if that's the sum total of everything Capcom's going to show. For all we know they're just demo booths for the E3 show floor for Monster Hunter World or whatevs. BUUUUUUT, what if Microsoft has thrown some buckets of money around backstage and DMCV is actually a Microsoft exclusive? It'd be the biggest bombshell since DMC4 went multiplatform, and an excellent excuse for me to buy one of them there Xbox One Xes.

In FURTHER MEGATON NEWS!

Walmart Canada's website has accidentally leaked a whole slew of upcoming E3 announcements, including Splinter Cell, Just Cause 4 and, bizarrely, Rage 2:

Wal-Mart-Canad_05-09-18.jpg

#Bethesda Showcase is in one month. I’m starting to get excited. We have a lot to show you this year. Might be our longest E3 Showcase ever? Not sure, but it’s packed. 

You guys, can you smell it? The E3 in the air? It's right around the corner!

#7558 Ocelot

Ocelot

#Reylo

• 7,761 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

Rage 2 is real, and it looks like Sunset Overdrive and Mad Max had a baby. Or, like, if Borderlands was good. Apparently gameplay is coming tomorrow, but for now enjoy this nonsense. It comes to us from Bethesda and Avalanche Studios (the Just Cause duders):

Also there's a new rumour going around that Retro Studios, aka those guys what made Metroid Prime and have been dead silent for the last four years or so, have been working on a Star Fox Racing game named Star Fox Grand Prix. It started with a the darkest nether region of the Internet which shall not be named leak, which would otherwise sink a rumour before it went anywhere, only this time a couple of Eurogamer editors say that this matches up with behind-the-scenes things that have been a'stirrin'.

Star-Fox-Grand-Prix-Logo_05-14-18-600x45

EDIT - Rage 2's lookin' pretty good:

#7559 Randomman96

Randomman96

• Nova Member
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

You know that rumored/lightly teased Prey DLC that supposed to be coming?  

If it's not coming out before E3, expect it to be announced there and released shortly after, because Prey just got updated with 10 new achivements.  All of them use the same icon and have a single word for the name.  What does it say when lined up?  

"If You Believed They Put A Man On The Moon."

5Sa8Z49.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users