NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

Official Wulfgard Q&A Topic

Wulfgard

• Please log in to reply
1064 replies to this topic

#1061 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

Will the actual nature of the world's cosmology be explored later on, and perhaps even explained? Like, I'd love to see if the world views from the different mythologies are somehow combined. I hope Yggdrasil is a part of it, for sure.

I started typing up a cosmology section for a Wulfgard guidebook once, but I have yet to finish it. It's not as difficult to combine different cosmologies as some might think, since most share many similar elements. For example, Ginnungagap, Chaos, Naunet...

And yes, Yggdrasil is definitely a thing!

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#1062 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Mine list, twice-checked

• 1,359 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

I am curious about two aspects of law and order in Wulfgard.  Mostly the Empire, but learning how other cultures handle such issues would also be fun.

1. Primogeniture: From what I currently know of WG lore, the northern region of the Empire is considered a bit odd for allowing women to be knights, fight in the army, etc.  Does this practice carry on to noble and even royal titles, and the positions thereof?  And what of the rest of the Empire, and the various other political powers in Wulfgard?  Do their leaders pass responsibility by age, worth, or just to the most direct male heir?  These questions are what real kingdoms of the past struggled with for centuries (and often with no small amount of violence), so I was curious as to how the WG civilizations handled them.

2. Sanctuary/Right of Asylum:

Spoiler

Sorry, just had to add that.  XD 

Do the temples of Astra Aeterna or the various Olympians offer some form of sanctuary to criminals and refugees?  If so, does it have any actual legal standing in the Empire with set guidelines for what the guards can/can't do, or is it up to the discretion of the priests themselves and local officials?  I.e. is there a limit for how long those claiming sanctuary can stay, can law enforcement surround the temple or are they expected to leave, is there an English-style expectation of eventual surrender or confession and then exile for criminals? 

While I'm clogging this sub-section with many additional clarifying questions (sorry about that), would this apply to known mages fleeing the Inquisition, or cultists fleeing the Templars?  I'm sure the priests would have discretion to refuse particularly heinous offenders, and someone too closely-affiliated with demons probably wouldn't be physically able to set foot in a temple anyway.  But if the priests see that the Imperial officials are a bit too hyped on adrenaline or blinded by rage, and want to ensure the sanctuary seeker lives to see a fair trial, a rule of asylum could be more fair for everyone involved. 

I hope that wasn't too much material to read and think over.  Thank you for your consideration!

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#1063 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

1. This varies from kingdom to kingdom, tribe to tribe, even individual to individual. But in the vast majority of inheritance cases, the oldest male heir is favored. This is the rule throughout the Imperial heartland, though some kingdoms break with this tradition, such as Rimegard (Adrianya is actually the heir to the throne after King Eltan), and some kings will name specific heirs if they think their next relative in line is unworthy. Among the independent tribes of the North and the South, there may be other local traditions, such as splitting one's property between heirs, or even deciding an heir via trial by combat... but despite these various exceptions, primogeniture is the most common rule.

2. It's certainly possible that a mage can claim sanctuary in a temple. What happens after that depends on local priests and officials - whether they would defend the person, violate their sanctuary, or only allow it for a time. In the case of demonic cultists, as you mentioned, it would almost certainly not be allowed (they might even incur the wrath of the gods themselves), but priests of some gods might view all magi as unholy abominations and throw them out. Temples of Astra have been known to defend magi at least until their "guilt" can be sufficiently proven. This has caused a few conflicts between the Templars (and other Knights of Astra) and the Inquisition, the former of which do not actually hunt "regular" magi, and the latter of which are not actually associated with the temples.

Sorry for the vague "it depends" type answers, but if you'd like to ask about a specific location/group I might be able to give more specific answers.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#1064 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Mine list, twice-checked

• 1,359 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

Just the basic framework is sufficient, thank you!  I was curious about the general concepts, and you mentioned enough of the specific details to ward off any followup questions, I think.

I do have another question on a completely different subject, though!

Regarding beetle mounts for the Dwarves: What species of beetle do you see as the premium, most desired mounts, and which ones are more common, garden-variety?  In Into the North, Atlas warbulls seem pretty valuable, but I was wondering if all beetles are rare and difficult to procure, forcing poorer dwarf clans to use big goats or boars; or if beetles are essentially the dwarven equivalent of horses, with different varieties and levels of quality?  

gallery_15330_272_177677.gif

"Live with honor, die with glory."

#1065 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Pandinus imperator.

• Webmaster
  • 7,729 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

Regarding beetle mounts for the Dwarves: What species of beetle do you see as the premium, most desired mounts, and which ones are more common, garden-variety?  In Into the North, Atlas warbulls seem pretty valuable, but I was wondering if all beetles are rare and difficult to procure, forcing poorer dwarf clans to use big goats or boars; or if beetles are essentially the dwarven equivalent of horses, with different varieties and levels of quality?

The Khepridin beetles are generally used only underground, in Nidavellir. When on the surface, dwarves may ride large goats/boars, or just ponies or small Nordic horses. The beetles are naturally averse to bright light and have poor eyesight, preferring to navigate in the dark using their other senses. That said, the Desert Dwarves ride Khepridnir almost exclusively, night and day, since they consider them a sacred part of their heritage, and because the beetles are very adept at traversing shifting sand dunes.

As for the types of beetles, preferred breeds vary by purpose and by clan.

Since scarab-type beetles are specialized for digging (with modified forelegs and head plates for moving soil quickly), these are used for tunneling more than for war. They may also be used for transport and draft animals, since they are extremely strong.

The war beetles are typically the males of any family with long horns and/or mandibles, like Rhino and Stag beetles. Different clans favor different breeds. The Atlas is favored by Clan Firebeard, who breed them to be red or iridescent orange in color to match their clan's fire motif.

(I could probably sit and come up with different uses for different types of Khepridnir all day, since there are so many kinds of beetles - beetles make up a quarter of all known animal species! - but I'll try to restrain myself.) :P

-Scorp

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users