NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Photo

ZONE - Manor at Redfield ((Chasing Shadows - START))

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#41 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

Not mad. Just disappointed.

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

"Everything Neitha said is true," Kye answered flatly, his voice much stronger than it had been for the past several hours. "But you want the rest? Fine. I'm Kye Vakurseth, the Prince of Pain, son of Akhoman the archdemon King of Agony, former Agent of his unholy army, former slave of the noble svartalfarien house of Ixafar, freed by my own wits and the help of the great dragon Flametongue."

The blood drained from Adriana's face faster than anything a starving vampire could've done.

He let that sink in before he continued, "But I'm not like them-- other demons. I don't play games and I don't make demands. I got here because I climbed out of the Underworld and out through Nidavellir - literally - to get away from them, and that alone took me probably several mortal lifetimes to accomplish and a lot of trouble to survive. But that's all I want: to be away from demons and dark elves and everything like them, so I can live in the mortal world. If you don't believe I did all those things just to get here, then look at my back."

DeWitt's mind was a vortex of panic and obscenities cursing her own stupidity.

Again he wavered for a moment, taking a deep, shaky breath... before he suddenly added defensively, almost in a snarl, "And Neitha's not my thrall and she's not stupid - she's my friend."

DeWitt's whole body was rigid. On top of him being the Prince of Pain, DeWitt insulted his friend. If she got out of this alive she was gonna have to try thinking before talking sometime. Why in Hell did she think it was a good idea to go down to the cellar. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

DeWitt's eyes were darting back and forth between. Neitha and Kye. She had really pissed both of them off. She could make some excuse and leave... no, screw it, this would only get worse if she didn't settle this now, no matter the outcome. She gritted her teeth and started 

"You expect me to believe an archdemon Prince went through all that effort for... for this?" She gestured wildly in the vague direction of everything. "You just wanna play nice with humans, have some adventures, sing some songs around a campfire and-"  DeWitt trailed off. It wasn't like she ever wanted anything different. Her shoulders sagged and she slumped, taking a hard seat on the bottom steps of the staircase.

"I never expected to be in this situation," She laughed sadly, rubbing her face with her hands. "So what, do we wanna just... forget this ever happened?" She suggested, waving her hand. "Like a bad night at a pub. After you cough up... whatever it is you swallowed?" DeWitt asked, desperately trying to steer the subject away from the topic she had forced.

^^ Click to see my Art Topic! ^^

Or check out My DeviantArt!

#42 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Sarael wasn't quite sure how to respond to that, especially as she caught Ben's muttered comment. She knew she probably shouldn't ask, it might be too painful for him... but curiosity won out. "What happened? ... Who betrayed you?" she asked softly.

Ben leaned back in his chair and finally removed his helm; he looked perhaps a bit tired, but it was almost time for everyone to get some rest, anyway. "If I say, I could jeopardize my job," he replied only half-jokingly, giving a mirthless smile.

Regardless, he lowered his voice and went on, "Let's just say I took pity on someone I knew I shouldn't have. I helped her out a lot and promised her..." He drifted off, but he shook himself out of it. "Anyway, when the opportunity arose to join what was definitely the wrong side, she took it. Didn't really look like she hesitated too awfully much. I could understand to a point - even when she was pouring poison down my throat - but she could've turned back. Instead..." he shrugged. "Well, it didn't end well. I tried to tell her it wouldn't," he said darkly, a heavy note of regret in his voice.

---

"You expect me to believe an archdemon Prince went through all that effort for... for this?" She gestured wildly in the vague direction of everything. "You just wanna play nice with humans, have some adventures, sing some songs around a campfire and-"  DeWitt trailed off.

Kye stared so hard DeWitt felt his eyes were burning into her soul. He said simply, "All of that... and so much more."

"I never expected to be in this situation," She laughed sadly, rubbing her face with her hands. "So what, do we wanna just... forget this ever happened?" She suggested, waving her hand. "Like a bad night at a pub. After you cough up... whatever it is you swallowed?"

The disguised demon-kin quietly seethed, rubbing together the metallic claws on his left gauntlet. "I can't blame you for reacting the way you did," he said honestly. "At least, not about me," he added, clearly referring to her insulting Neitha. "I know what demons are like - and I can't say I probably wouldn't react the same way. But I'm not going to do anything except help my friends."

At length, however, and without the former sympathy in his voice, he added, "So you should forget it. But I won't."

There were some clear implications there, but he didn't elaborate. He had to be strong. What would Tom do? No, he shouldn't do that. But, all things considered, he really couldn't blame her for flipping out or for not trusting him. She was smart to react that way... and that was part of what hurt him so badly.

Kye strode forward without another word, brushing past Adriana. His nerves were shot, and despite everything, that crazy woman was right. And, he knew, when he tried to cough up this pixie, he wasn't going to be able to keep his disguise up doing it... And he wasn't dropping his guard around that woman again.

So he went to his room instead, ignoring everyone he walked past and not looking anyone in the eye. He slipped into his room - it wasn't a terribly large room, but it at least fit him and his wings, and it was - at least - private. He closed and locked the door behind him before finally dropping his disguise, breathing a huge sigh of relief and trying to relax. He wasn't having much luck.

"Okay, now what do we do?" he asked quietly - and then realized he didn't even know the pixie's name. "Uh... I'm Kye, by the way. But I guess you already heard that. And - sorry I swallowed you. I don't know why pixies seem to end up in my drinks," he murmured.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#43 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:36 PM

Kye stared so hard DeWitt felt his eyes were burning into her soul. He said simply, "All of that... and so much more."

The disguised demon-kin quietly seethed, rubbing together the metallic claws on his left gauntlet. "I can't blame you for reacting the way you did," he said honestly. "At least, not about me," he added, clearly referring to her insulting Neitha. "I know what demons are like - and I can't say I probably wouldn't react the same way. But I'm not going to do anything except help my friends."

DeWitt nodded slightly, hoping she'd never have to see Kye react to that. He seemed as genuine as a demon could get, but she felt like she might wanna keep a Templar within earshot at all times, just in case.

At length, however, and without the former sympathy in his voice, he added, "So you should forget it. But I won't."

Adriana said nothing as he brushed past her. She really did not want to see what the Prince of Pain could do with that nasty metal arm of his. After his disappeared up the stairs, DeWitt exhaled deeply. She hadn't realized she was holding her breath.

Now it was just her and Neitha, the wild looking warrior woman. DeWitt looked at her awkwardly.

"Uhm, sorry for calling you stupid..." DeWitt started, hoping to mitigate the damage. "Do you wanna finish that drink?" She asked tentatively.

#44 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:03 PM

"You expect me to believe an archdemon Prince went through all that effort for... for this? You just wanna play nice with humans, have some adventures, sing some songs around a campfire and- ... I never expected to be in this situation," She laughed sadly, rubbing her face with her hands. "So what, do we wanna just... forget this ever happened? Like a bad night at a pub. After you cough up... whatever it is you swallowed?"

"I can't blame you for reacting the way you did. At least, not about me. I know what demons are like - and I can't say I probably wouldn't react the same way. But I'm not going to do anything except help my friends.... So you should forget it. But I won't."

Neitha watched silently as Kye left, not really sure what to say to him. Despite saying that he understood Adriana's reaction —he might have even meant it— she couldn't help but think that it had hurt him regardless.

"Uhm, sorry for calling you stupid... Do you wanna finish that drink?" 

However, she knew exactly what to say to the other woman.

"He's too polite to say it, but I'm not" she said to Adriana, fixing her flinty gaze back on the woman. "He used to be an assassin. So you'd better do as you said and forget what you saw, and forget it harder than you've ever forgotten anything before; because if you lied, and you expose him —the second you're away from us, tomorrow, next week, whenever— and he gets away, which I'd give fair odds on, he'll kill you. And if he doesn't, I will" she stated matter-of-factly, her voice as cold as death.

"Just so you understand that... Now, let's call it no-harm no-foul and have that drink —alcohol's a useful aid in forgetting things, I hear" she said a moment later with dry humor, both her tone and expression reverting back to her more typical lightness, edging past Adriana and heading upstairs, only to pause at the top as the stench of burning meat assaulted her nostrils. "And you should probably flip that steak of yours so it doesn't turn completely into charcoal" she suggested wryly, turning to look back at the other woman for a second.

She then headed back to the table, taking a seat and propping her feet up on the top, filling both her and the Captain's glasses to the brim with wine. She took a long sip —after that, she could use a bit of liquid calm herself.

"If I say, I could jeopardize my job... Let's just say I took pity on someone I knew I shouldn't have. I helped her out a lot and promised her... Anyway, when the opportunity arose to join what was definitely the wrong side, she took it. Didn't really look like she hesitated too awfully much. I could understand to a point - even when she was pouring poison down my throat - but she could've turned back. Instead... Well, it didn't end well. I tried to tell her it wouldn't."

"I'm sorry" Sarael replied softly. She couldn't imagine what that must have felt like —it had clearly affected Ben quite a bit.

"Maybe I shouldn't have asked, but... I just don't understand it; I don't understand how people can willing and knowingly choose evil over good. I feel like I should —it's practically my job— but... I don't. And I'm not even sure that's actually a bad thing."

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#45 Harry Monster Princess

Harry Monster Princess

• Nova Member
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

"He's too polite to say it, but I'm not" she said to Adriana, fixing her flinty gaze back on the woman. "He used to be an assassin. So you'd better do as you said and forget what you saw, and forget it harder than you've ever forgotten anything before; because if you lied, and you expose him —the second you're away from us, tomorrow, next week, whenever— and he gets away, which I'd give fair odds on, he'll kill you. And if he doesn't, I will" she stated matter-of-factly, her voice as cold as death.

Oh, Adriana thought. On top of everything he's a professional contract killer. Perfect.

"Just so you understand that... Now, let's call it no-harm no-foul and have that drink —alcohol's a useful aid in forgetting things, I hear" she said a moment later with dry humor, both her tone and expression lightening. She edged past Adriana and headed upstairs, but paused at the top. "And you should probably flip that steak of yours so it doesn't turn completely into charcoal" she suggested wryly, turning to look back at the other woman for a second. Adriana took a deep sniff, catching the smell of the burning meat and quietly cursing herself. She got up and quickly trudged upstairs, hurrying to the pan and flipping the steak with her bare hand. It was almost completely charred black. DeWitt sighed. Whatever, she'd eaten far worse in her time.

Neitha had already refilled their drinks and was relaxing. Adriana slowly sat down with her, taking a long drink from the glass. She was quiet for a long time, trying to think of what to say. This all would have gone a lot smoother if DeWitt just could've told her sea stories this would have gone a lot smoother. The one about the drunkard clam shucking was funny. But the time for small talk was far over.

DeWitt slowly traced the edge of her glass with her finger. "How did you find out?" She asked quietly. "And... how do you trust him?"

#46 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:48 AM

"I believe that too many coincidences means that there are no coincidence at all, I believe that too many mistakes within our archives are indicative of either a systemic error or a conspiracy. But above that I believe that as long as there are a possibility that the Umbra Coven does indeed exist we can't afford to ignore that possibility. The cost could be to great. If there's no Umbra Coven, there's no harm being here, but if they do exist I can't afford to not be here. That and curiosity, I can't let this opportunity to learn more be passed by! Imagine if we came across some of their archives, the knowledge that could be found, oh I can't wait to add it to the archives!"

The Weeping Mage nodded. He could understand the Templar's view on the situation, even if...

"Mathias Quill.

Charon Velos pretended to listen to the two talking about Vampires, but his mind was elsewhere:

Survived fighting one? He had helped to kill one while fighting alongside another!

Meanwhile, a commotion in the kitchen caused him to turn just in time to see the man in spiky armor storm off, leaving two of the woman behind.

The Weeping Mage smiled.

Trouble in Paradise? Well, at least he wasn't the only one.

---

"Sounds like our own mother,

"Well, we wish you luck findin' your friend, demon mage or not,"

Katrina simply smiled and said "Thanks. I wish you luck...in whatever it is you're doing at the moment."

#47 Sareth

Sareth

Master of Fate

• Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

"How did you find out? And... how do you trust him?"

Neitha took another sip of her wine before responding. "Well, we —myself, Tom, Caid, Kye, and a few others— were investigating and old abandoned temple-turned-demon-shrine down in Kemhet —it's where I met them all, actually— when the ceiling collapsed; Kye kinda freaked and jumped out of his skin, so to speak."

"But, everyone else there already knew and didn't seem to care, and there wasn't really any time to question things too much as we had to try and find another way out through the temple —which, as it turned out, wasn't quite as deserted as we thought. We had to deal with a sphinx, along with... some other creatures —beastfolk, I think, though we never really got a good look at them" she said, slipping in a bit of a lie in lieu of what had happened with Tom —there was no way in hell she was telling Adriana that. "But Kye acquitted himself well; he helped us make it out of there through some death traps —he could decipher the symbols that marked the safe path— and he fought with us when he could have just as easily run and saved himself. So... yeah" she finished simply, taking another drink.

"Although..." she added after a moment or two. "Really, even before that —even in that brief first moment before I discovered the others already knew and were fine with it— I wasn't really scared of him. I mean, horns and wings and such... they didn't exactly make him a different person; and while I didn't really know him that well, from what I'd seen he just didn't strike me as dangerous —which I'll admit is a funny thing to say about a guy who wears that many spikes and carries enough cutlery to arm a legion of chefs— but, maybe that's just me" she said with a wry grin. "I used to kill people for a living —pit fighter, not assassin, before you ask— so I guess I don't scare easily; besides, I'm probably about the easiest-going person you'll ever meet —unless someone tries to harm me or someone I care about, of course" she said with a smile, though the last bit was perhaps a touch pointed.

"I mean, if he had done something to turn on us, or maybe if I'd had some prior bad experience with his kind like most of our new friends upstairs probably have, it might have been different. But he didn't, and I hadn't, and so to me he's simply another guy —if a little 'special' in more ways than one... it's just that simple" she concluded.

She was silent for a few moments, before she decided to ask. "Well, I've told you mine, and I seem to recall we got interrupted before you told me your 'thrilling tale of high seas adventure'. So?" she said, topping up both her and Adriana's glasses before leaning back with an expectant look.

"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#48 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

Hulloo! :3

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

Rosette had remained very, very quiet throughout the whole ordeal, and would’ve been silent if the occasional sudden movement hadn’t elicited some squeaking from the tiny being. As time stretched out, she couldn’t help but wonder just how much time she had before… well…

At least the ‘giants’ were finally sorting things out. Even if it had turned out Kye was a formerly-enslaved half-demon prince of pain. Suddenly him nearly losing control after her little… jolt made sense.

“...After you cough up... whatever it is you swallowed?" The woman that had originally been tackled finally said, catching the pixie’s attention. However, a brief interlude of little more than threats and further clearing up passed before anything else came up to help Rosette out of her predicament.

"Okay, now what do we do?" he asked quietly, seeming to be addressing her, now, since it had sounded like he left the others. "Uh... I'm Kye, by the way. But I guess you already heard that. And - sorry I swallowed you. I don't know why pixies seem to end up in my drinks," he murmured.

“I’m… not sure.” Rosette admitted, quietly. “I, um, this… hasn’t really happened to me before.” She mumbled, shifting uncomfortably. Is now really the time to introduce ourselves? She thought, more than a little worried, though she paused.

“...Wait, this… this has happened to Percula?” She asked, knowing that was the only pixie the group had had with them. “...She’d probably know how to get out, then!” The pixie pointed out.

“...Er, where is she?” Rosette asked, her mind far too clouded with worry for her to try looking into the spirit world for a glimpse at her sister’s location.

tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480

#49 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

"I'm sorry" Sarael replied softly.

Ben nodded gratefully, though he didn't really say anything else.

"Maybe I shouldn't have asked, but... I just don't understand it; I don't understand how people can willing and knowingly choose evil over good. I feel like I should —it's practically my job— but... I don't. And I'm not even sure that's actually a bad thing."

"Asking was fine. As for not understanding..." He got to his feet. "That isn't a bad thing. Try to keep that feeling alive, because a lot of people sure as hell don't feel the same way. Evil's tried to tempt me, but it's always just been - frankly - disgusting and despicable. One time I pretended to take the bait just long enough to infiltrate a place so I could report its location back to my friends, but even that was hard."

The Inquisitor glanced at a nearby window - now dark, the sun having set outside - as he spoke again. "Hate to run off and leave, but I'm pretty tired. I'll see you in the morning... although I'm probably not coming on this mission. Got some other duties elsewhere." He managed a friendly smile. "Gods be with you, Sarael."

---

“I’m… not sure.” Rosette admitted, quietly. “I, um, this… hasn’t really happened to me before.” She mumbled, shifting uncomfortably. That made Kye shift, himself, though he didn't say anything.

“...Wait, this… this has happened to Percula?” She asked, knowing that was the only pixie the group had had with them. “...She’d probably know how to get out, then! ...Er, where is she?”

"Talking to her really big boyfriend, I think - maybe from where you are right now, I dunno," Kye replied, fiddling with his gauntlet again. "I, uh... could just throw up," he muttered. But after a second, he quickly added, "Or I could lay down and you could try to just crawl out. That's what Percula did last time this happened."

Either way, he sounded pretty eager to have her out, himself.

---

Darkness began to descend upon the manor. The sun had set and nightfall crept in, making each lit candle and chandelier in the house all the more inviting - and that went double for the crackling fireplace in the livingroom. However, some were now starting to mosey on upstairs and find rooms to claim for the night, although not quite everyone. Stevan remained downstairs, knelt in prayer before a small flag of Astra hung on the wall in the livingroom. Ben, meanwhile, retreated to his room, as did Durante.

Caiden, alternatively, finally reappeared, though he didn't seek out anyone in particular to speak to, instead entering the meeting room again and lingering there, along with Jed and Forge.

Kye and Plexaura had already staked out rooms, with Kye claiming some smaller, private quarters - which he had already disappeared into a bit earlier - while Plexaura bunked in one of the larger rooms that had space to share. Drake, once his conversation with Marcus concluded, went to his own smaller room and closed the door. That left several more rooms, depending on what everyone wanted.

Of course, almost no one was actually sleeping, or at least not yet.

((For the record, this doesn't mean I'm asking you all to just pick rooms and say you go to sleep, because that's no fun. Continue interacting as you please, and use it all as a means to further display your character(s). If anyone has pressing requirement to talk to a certain NPC, they're not exactly unavailable, either, though some of them are secluded. This also gives some people more of a chance to talk in private, if anyone wanted that.

An update that'll move us along to Chapter I will be coming very soon, probably in just a few days (before Friday, if I can). For more details, see my latest post in the OOC thread, and thanks for your patience if you're already bored.  :P ))

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#50 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,453 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

The knight gave a short - if notably a bit mirthless - laugh. "I bet you are looking for Neitha," he said all too suggestively.

The veteran Inquisitor fought back a mild sputter of embarrassment, not adding much besides an awkward clearing of his throat.

But he added in a slightly more serious tone, "Caiden went upstairs looking even more serious than usual... if I had to take a guess, he's talking to Percula. As for Neitha," he made a slight face, "there's, ah... a slight issue going on in the kitchen, or at least there was. I kept hearing things. I think it started with Kye, as usual, and Neitha's trying to help pick up the pieces."

His hand involuntarily resting on his forehead once more, Marcus sighed, “Gods help them both.  Our allies would not appreciate a ruckus within our own ranks.”  Looking around briefly, he concluded, “Well, I doubt I could contribute much to that situation.  I suppose I’ll go greet my colleagues and listen carefully for a battle erupting in the kitchen.”

Smirking good-naturedly and shaking Tom’s hand again, he left the knight with a friendly, “It was good talking with you, Sir Drake.  If you need anything, please don’t hesitate to let me know.”  He had already asked the werewolf to help him with one matter despite the risk, and he did not want to force Tom to do so again, even for a mutual friend.  Sir Drake could make his own decisions, but hopefully knew that Marcus would support them however he could.

---

Making his way back to the meeting room, Marcus nodded politely to the various clusters of people still talking there.  After a puzzled glance at the various doorways in an attempt to discover his fellow Inquisitors, he noticed Kye leaving his presumed incident from the kitchen.  As he saw the demon-kin sullenly retreating, an acrid scent caught Marcus' nose from the kitchen.  Gods be good, he thought to himself, did he set something on FIRE in there?

The Inquisitor poked his head through the doorway, doing his utmost to appear curious rather than overly concerned.  What he found, instead of the growing flames he was timorously expecting, was Neitha talking with a woman in armor and a sand-red surcoat.  The two were drinking wine and the latter was attempting to eat what looked like overcooked meat, which would explain the smell.  

With an awkward half-smile, Marcus waved apologetically when the two women noticed his intrusion.  “Sorry to interrupt, just thought I smelled smoke.”  The order had taught him that smoke should never be ignored, as it could be a sign of magical fire that had been “naturalized,” as they called it, but Neitha and her new acquaintance probably didn’t want to be bored with that detail.  They probably just thought he was overly conscious about fire safety, which would be fine with him.  

I’ll, uh, keep looking for Caiden, I suppose.  Don’t mind me.”  Then, as if by the gods’ favor, the one-eyed Venator in question emerged from upstairs to linger in the room where they had met earlier.  Bowing out of the kitchen doorway to approach his friend, Marcus strode as professionally as he could manage to meet him where he stood.

“Glad to see you again, friend.  I’ve been learning what I can from our allies, old and new, but they directed me to you for further details...but only if you’re up for it, of course.”  He had only learned recently how personal this struggle was for Caiden, and he hoped his neutral, understanding expression implied he would withdraw the question if needed.

gallery_15330_272_435418.gif

#51 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

"Talking to her really big boyfriend, I think - maybe from where you are right now, I dunno," Kye replied, fiddling with his gauntlet again. "I, uh... could just throw up," he muttered. But after a second, he quickly added, "Or I could lay down and you could try to just crawl out. That's what Percula did last time this happened." Either way, he sounded pretty eager to have her out, himself.

Rosette chewed her lip. “Well, if crawling works… that sounds less messy.” She admitted, shifting. “Are we somewhere you can lay down?” She asked uncertainly, before what he said finally sank in.

“...W-wait, my sister’s in love?! With a human?!” She squeaked.

-----

Percula had been pretty intent on getting some rest after her business with Caiden, but she couldn’t help but listen in as Marcus approached her lover.

“Glad to see you again, friend.  I’ve been learning what I can from our allies, old and new, but they directed me to you for further details...but only if you’re up for it, of course.”

The pixie frowned slightly, giving Caid a small pat before settling in to keep an ear on things. ‘Mister Moustache’ was nice, but if he upset Caiden on accident… Saffron tried to push the thought out of her head. She’d just be on stand-by.

Juuuust in case...

#52 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:30 PM

“Glad to see you again, friend.  I’ve been learning what I can from our allies, old and new, but they directed me to you for further details...but only if you’re up for it, of course.”

Caiden nodded. "I'll tell you as much as I can," he replied, stoic as ever. It was clear that, if any of this was emotional for him, he wasn't going to let that show. He noticed Percula's reassuring little pat, though he didn't draw attention to it.

"Without going into unnecessary detail, Plexaura, Ben, and I were in Redfield when it was attacked. A sect of Hidden raised countless undead from underneath the city - graveyards, ancient burial grounds... this city was built mostly by slaves many ages ago, under the whips of the Red Legion. There were thousands of angry spirits, never properly buried, waiting to be called for a purpose. The Hidden gave them one, and they resurrected even more, to boot.

"Later, it turned out that the duke's nephew, Albertus Lysander, was behind most of it. I don't know the details of how he did it, but he used the Hidden for his own means. While they caused chaos, he killed his uncle and took the dukedom, easily dismissing the duke's death as being caused by the undead hordes. He took command and had the city put under quarantine, shutting the gates until daybreak would burn most of the undead out, and the city could more easily be made safe again. My sister, Ben, and I were still inside. We lasted the night within the walls, along with as many other survivors as we could gather. It wasn't very many, for an entire city full of people.

"In the morning, we... found out Albertus was behind it. We confronted him, Ben and I almost lost our lives, and I lost an eye, but we defeated him - in a manner of speaking. We drove him away from the city, and his brother has taken the throne since Albertus murdered their uncle. Albertus has since disappeared, only cropping up occasionally. Plexaura, Ben, Stevan, and I are the main ones who've tried to fight the Coven, and not without paying too many prices. We've met members of the Coven several times now, and never without losing something or someone. We're lucky a few others have started to join us."

Caiden crossed his enormous arms. "As for the Coven itself, even I don't know too much. I'm not sure if Albertus Lysander started it or if it's older than that... But Albertus taunted us during a fight, said he would use the Coven to gain so much power no one would be able to stop him, and he'd make a 'better world.' His plan was to use every existing organization for his own ends - the Hidden, the Inquisition, the Templar, the Venatori, and whatever else. I wouldn't have believed him if I didn't know firsthand how damn powerful he is. He's a vampire - gods only know if he's really 'Albertus Lysander' or someone much older - and he's a mage, master of Arcane and Shadow. Not only that, but he knows other forms of magic... Demonic and Spiritual."

He allowed a pause - this was probably the most words Caiden had ever spoken at once in his entire life. At length, he finished, "Albertus Lysander has taken a lot from me, my friends, and my family, and he's a threat to everyone. That's why he and his order have to be stopped."

---

“Well, if crawling works… that sounds less messy.” She admitted, shifting. “Are we somewhere you can lay down?”

"Yeah, actually," Kye replied, heading over to his bed and carefully laying down on his chest.

“...W-wait, my sister’s in love?! With a human?!” Rosette suddenly squeaked.

Kye paused and blinked. "Um... yes. Is - is that not okay, or something?"

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#53 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

Bored, the Weeping Mage moved away from Rutger and Matthaias and began to head towards the rooms to stake one out from himself.

That's when Caiden Voros came back into the main area.

One of the Inquisitors began to talk with the Venator, and, as Charon passed, he heard Caiden's reply, and what he heard turned his blood to ice:

Caiden's description of the Attack on Redfield was too close to what had happened in Arrowfield to be a coincidence.

As the Mage headed to the area of the Manor House with rooms, thoughts began to race around his head: Once again, he had pleged his services to a Madman! He couldn't believe that after he had finally found a place where he wouldn't be hunted or be forced to join some dark cult, he would uncover dark origins of the place! Would he betray Lysander and the Umbra Coven like how he had done with Osgar and Jade? That time, he had another Mage and a Revenant to back him up, but this time, he only had mere mortals to back him up, and from what he had seen in Arrowfall, that wasn't going to be enough.

Charon was filled with indesicion, until he passed the Venator's room. Looking behind him, he could see that nobody had followed him, and then ducked into Caiden's room. He just needed to find the Venator's pouch: if he was lucky, the Venator had left it in the room, but if he wasn't, he would just have to wait longer to fulfill his quest.

But this was an opprotuinity too good to pass up...

---

As Jed and Forge moved away, Katrina made her way to the kitchen: she needed a drink after talking to those two gits.

As she entered the kitchen, she was surprised to find two other women already there (fortunately, she arrived after their conversation had ended).

Spying the bottle of spirits in one of their hands, she asked "Mind if I take a sip?"

#54 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

• Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:39 AM

Kye paused and blinked. "Um... yes. Is - is that not okay, or something?"

Rosette colored. “W-well… no… I guess… it’s just…”

She hesitated. “Well, um, kinda weird.” She admitted. “I mean… just imagine someone a whole lot bigger than you loving all over your sister.” Rosette paused. “Or, uh, brother, or… whatever… you had…” She mumbled, realizing she didn’t know if Kye had a sibling or not.

Subsiding into sheepish murmuring, the young Saffron finally realized that the demon-kin had slowly been laying down, and cautiously approached what… seemed to be the exit. “I-I’ll just start climbing.” She decided before proceeding to struggle to make her way out.

-----

Percula bit her lip as she listened to Caiden recall his first meeting with the Coven, subtly massaging the Venator as best she could as he put his painful memories into words. She considered speaking up, but decided revealing where she was could make the moment rather awkward without much reason. Saffron let out a quiet sigh, but otherwise remained silent as she waited for Marcus’s response.

We’ll make it okay, Caid. Percula thought to herself.

#55 Darkwoods

Darkwoods

Wubalubadubdub!

• 2,085 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:03 AM

Despite his best intentions, Mathias' eyes started to glaze over, just a little, as Rutger went to great lengths to explain why bloodsuckers was not a good term to use. Perhaps the scribe failed to realise that calling vampires vampires was something Mathias was trying to avoid. He remembered the stories his siblings had told him, stories about things in the darkness, waiting for the moment he shut his eyes to pounce and steal him away to their nest, where he would be the centre of a bloodfeast. Calling those things vampires brought back too many bad memories. To him, they were bloodsuckers. It made it easier to face them, and easier to kill then. 

Fear would not rule his hand, not this time. 

"Now, yes I do know some things about Vampires and vampirism I dare say. Anything specific you'd like to know?" Mathias began to phrase the question 'How do you kill the bloody things?' when Rutger interjected.

"Wait, you got attacked by a Vampire!? And you survived!? I'm impressed."

"Aye, well." Mathias' face dropped. "The... thing that attacked me was..." He trailed off. How did he even begin to describe Lina to this stranger? 

"She was known to me. Once." He said finally. Then his face was renewed with a new sense of purpose. "Rutger, do you want a drink? I've got a lot of questions and the thirst of a king, and I might as well sate both of them." 

With a grin, Mathias gestured for the man to lead the way to the kitchen, making it quite clear his invitation wasn't expected to be refused. 

giphy.gif

#56 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,453 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:21 AM

Marcus frowned intently as Caiden recounted painful memories of undead hordes, vampires, and battles won at high prices.  He exhaled slowly, taking a moment to absorb all that he had just heard.  

That...that is a lot to take in.  You know I’ve lived through something similar, but now I see my experience pales in comparison.”  Taking another deep breath, he continued, “Thank you for trusting me with your story.  The gods have granted us many opportunities to help each other since we met in that orc dungeon, and your oldest foes are just the type of evil I’ve dedicated my life to extinguishing.”

Thumping his fist to his cuirass in salute, the Inquisitor swore, “With the gods as my witness, I shall do everything in my power to help you bring them to justice.  If they truly have defiled our Orders with their presence, then may the traitors be swiftly discovered.  Wherever this repulsive coven lurks or runs, I will have your back as you hunt them down.”

Returning to a more relaxed position, Marcus thought aloud, “I suppose I can start by writing to colleagues I know I can trust and asking them to keep a quiet watch.  We have infiltration protocols and I’m still owed a few favors, but if the Coven’s agent in the Inquisition is high-ranked, it’d probably be wise to not draw their attention.”  

Glancing at the upward stairs leading to the sleeping quarters, Marcus suggested, “Hopefully one of the rooms up there has a table or something I can write on.  Might as well pick a good bunk while I’m up there, before they’re all snapped up.  But for now, I must get to work!”

With newfound fervor and excitement, Capulet made his way up the stairs, intent on checking the various rooms for signs of habitation.  Naturally, he’d stay out of any that looked to be already occupied, and he would require one with sufficient privacy for the task at hand.  He hoped he could remember what his friends’ extra gear looked like, but the presence of any bags or equipment would be a good indicator of space that had been claimed.

#57 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

Rosette colored. “W-well… no… I guess… it’s just…” She hesitated. “Well, um, kinda weird.” She admitted. “I mean… just imagine someone a whole lot bigger than you loving all over your sister.” Rosette paused. “Or, uh, brother, or… whatever… you had…” She mumbled.

Kye stared into space for a very long moment. "I can't relate," was all he said when he did finally speak, his voice so monotone it sounded like he was making a conscious effort to keep it that way.

“I-I’ll just start climbing.” She decided before proceeding to struggle to make her way out.

He only made a quiet sound in response, his tail flicking as he breathed a long sigh. Kye remained completely still as Rosette made her way out. By some miracle of the gods, she managed to force her way out, and Kye seemed remarkably patient and tolerant as she kept climbing up. Given how Kye was so very tall, it was a pretty long way for someone her size.

Eventually, however, Rosette made her way out - only for Kye to start coughing violently once she started choking him, and he coughed her up into his left gauntlet. It was almost like he'd done this before.

"You okay?" he asked, looking decidedly sullen. Since he was no longer in his human disguise, his tail kept waving or flicking around as he lay on his chest. Occasionally, its spearhead thunked against the bed.

---

Caiden merely nodded as Marcus left, though he thanked him for his word and his service. The Venator said nothing more, remaining in the meeting room and staring at some of the maps Stevan had left out, silent and lost in thought.

---

Marcus headed upstairs to check for a room, and he found that plenty were still available. The first room's door was shut, and so was the second - Drake and Kye, if he had to take any guesses. The third door stood slightly ajar, enough for him to peer just inside and see some of Caiden's supply bags occupying the room.

He also met a man in the hallway: a man he didn't recognize, and who wore no symbols of any of the various factions gathered here.

Charon was that man Marcus didn't recognize. He had, luckily for him, just left Caiden's room narrowly in time to escape the Inquisitor's notice and suspicion.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#58 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,453 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

The initial fruits of Marcus’ “grand” search involved a few closed doors and otherwise negative results, but he did end up finding a bearded man in a black cloak and deep blue tabard (Charon) wandering the same hall.  Not wanting to be rude, the Inquisitor approached with a smile and outstretched hand.

Hello there!  Picking out a bunk, as well, I’m guessing?”  He leaned his halberd in the crook of his left elbow as he straightened his helmet with his offhand, his right still expecting a return gesture.  “Marcus Capulet, Inquisitor, but you’ve probably guessed that already.”

Eyeing the stranger’s chainmail beneath his tabard, Marcus’ trained eye took a while to process what he was looking at.  “Nice armor...silver coating over the steel?”  For this man’s sake, he hoped it was.  He doubted anyone would be foolish enough to make, much less buy armor completely out of silver.  It would be as expensive as protecting yourself with so much lace and fine silk...and only slightly more effective.

#59 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic...

• Nova Patron
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

Charon had just barely made it out of Caiden's room and begun to walk away when somebody behind him said:

Hello there!  Picking out a bunk, as well, I’m guessing? Marcus Capulet, Inquisitor, but you’ve probably guessed that already.”

The Mage resisted the urge to jump out of his skin and turned to see the Inquisitor that Caiden had been speaking to earlier.

"Yes, I saw you talking with that Venator, Caiden Voros, earlier," the Weeping Mage said as he shook the Inquisitor's hand "I'm Carlon Shev, just a Mercenary passing through."

Nice armor...silver coating over the steel?”

The Weeping Mage inspected his armor and said "Yes, I believe it's the same kind that Venators use, if I'm not mistaken."

#60 Lord_Capulet

Lord_Capulet

Justice for All.

• 1,453 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:22 PM

"Yes, I believe it's the same kind that Venators use, if I'm not mistaken."

Marcus could hardly contain his laughter, starting with an amused chortle before it poured out in torrents, so taken aback was he by the ridiculous statement.  “That doesn’t sound like any of the Venatori I know, Carlon.  If the crook who sold you this armor told you that, I’m afraid you’ve been lied to!  I’m sure the poor Venatori wish they could make their armor so beautifully useless, but even then they’d be better served with thicker steel rings and more silver weapons.”

With a consoling clap on the shoulder, the weaponmaster offered, “I have other business to attend to, but you should show me that armor up close when we both have time, so I can make sure you weren’t sold pure silver or some other nonsense!  You’d be better off melting that down into coinage than taking it into any sort of battle.  Hahah, sweet summer child!”  He trailed off as he made his exit, still chuckling on his way.  Someone that gullible probably wouldn’t last long on a mission like this, but at least this Carlon made a poor candidate for being a spy.  If he was as new to the mercenary business as Marcus suspected, he would probably need to find another trade quite soon, if he wanted to live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users