375 replies to this topic

#1 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

• Webmaster
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

POPULAR

So I decided it was high time I started one of these all my own! This will mostly consist, naturally, of Wulfgard and Nova Refuge concept sketches. I'll try to throw in a little variety occasionally though. These are in no particular order, and I don't know the dates for most. Just various sketches I thought were fit to show. So! Here we go...

WARNING! HUGE IMAGES! :o

Posted Image
Concept sketches of the various badguy outfits for my Wulfgard comic. Al-Saffah was originally going to have some pop-out blades in his bracers, but I decided he was already too Assassin's Creedy. In my defense though, assassins are all about hoods and knives. Just a fact. Minion is Plutarch's Eastern bodyguard, who has shown up silently in the background of the comic already.

The creepy-looking women in the hoods are vampires (except for Daemonique, of course). The Daemonique in the lower-right corner is her as a Gargoyle. :P

Three guesses who the dwarf and goblin are.

Posted Image
This is a very old sketch of Douglas Boyle, Grimm's right-hand man in Nova Refuge. I'd say from 2003 or so, perhaps. I'm really not sure. I forget to date things a lot. Anyway, the perspective's a little off, but it's still one of my best old Nova Refuge original concept sketches. Most are unfit to show anyone. :P

Posted Image
Some costume concepts for the Wulfgard comic. I cut off a lot of this page because it contained major spoilers. ;)

Posted Image
These outfits were designed for Corben and Kye, major characters in Wulfgard created by Wolfy. This was before we switched Kye back to an outfit closer to his original armor Maegan created in Neverwinter Nights.

Posted Image
Horn ideas for Daemonique.

Posted Image
This one might be on the Nova Refuge site already, I think. Concept sketches for Vasha Greeshakk.

Back when I stopped the original run of the Warbringer comic, I kept trying to think of ideas for a different comic, since for some reason I just couldn't "get into" Warbringer. One of the 3 ideas I strongly considered was "Greenrock" (working title), a comic which would follow Jade and several other Grimm's Army mercs as they worked for Greeshakk, helping to defend the Free Tribes from Helexith in Womloch. I eventually decided that this was too important to the development of Jade's character to be delegated to a minor comic, so I made it part of my next NR novel, Saber's Edge, instead.

Posted Image
Concept art for High Imperial architecture in Wulfgard. It's meant to look like a cross between Late Roman and Medieval styles, like you might find in Byzantium, but slightly less Eastern-looking. This is the type of architecture one would find in cities of the Imperial Heartland, such as the capital city or Templaria.

Posted Image
Sorry about the notebook paper. I drew a lot of this art during boring lectures in classrooms. These are concept sketches for the Inquisition and the Wheel of Magic. The Void Iron Masks of the Inquisition were inspired by Darth Revan from KotOR. The face-paint and outfits of the Channelers were partially inspired by High Inquisitor Whitemane, a boss in the Scarlet Monastery dungeon in World of Warcraft. A fan favorite, for obvious reasons. Heh.

Posted Image
More concept art for the Nova Refuge "Greenrock" comic that never came to be. Ignore the note about Dr. Faustus - I was in an English class at the time and thought I might have heard something worth taking notes about. False alarm, as you can see. Anyway, I had this idea that the Slashrim might have "spirit animals" that they discover through some shamanistic rite of passage. I'm not sure if that is too close to Wulfgard stuff or not, but Jade was going to pass through this rite in the comic and discover her spirit beast was a Tiger. She would then program her armor's nano-camouflage to add tiger stripes. The claws were weapons she came up with while fighting without her armor. The snake-like creature was to be a type of sea-serpent native to Terra Nova on whose skull the Grimm's Army logo was actually originally based.

Posted Image
Trying to come up with just the right outfit for a certain character in the Wulfgard comic that we haven't met yet... but who has already been mentioned once by name. ;)

Posted Image
I was originally going to post this on the Wulfgard page about the Chaos Races, but then I came up with the idea about goblins/hobgoblins and decided the half-giants might look too big here, etc. So I scrapped it. But here it is anyawy, if you're interested. The half-giants' armor suits are composed almost entirely of human shields. :P

Posted Image
Here it is flipped around so you can see the dudes on the other side. This shows the size of the actual Jotunn races (giants).

Posted Image
Just an unfinished sketch of the most badass mythological deity of all time. If you don't know who this is, you need to step back and re-evaluate your life, lest he smite your face off with righteous fury.

On the other hand, if you do know who this is, and can name not only the guy himself but also his spear, his wolves, his ravens, and tell the story of how he lost his eye, then congratulations, you are awesome.

Posted Image
Trying to come up with good faces for orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins. Ones that don't look too much like Tolkien, D&D, Warhammer, or Warcraft. I'm still not sure if I succeeded, but you can judge the final products here.

Posted Image
A page of mostly random sketches. There's a Geth up in the corner; pay him no mind. The two bizarre vehicles are nothing in particular; I just started drawing, and they were the result. The weird spiny creature with the messed-up legs was an idea for a predatory beast native to Slasheth, the Slashrim homeworld. The floaty thing with the weeds on it and the big flying guy were ideas for the wildlife of the Achmer homeworld, Planet O. I had this idea that since there is no real land on O, perhaps some creatures might have evolved the ability to fly but skipped the walking stage. The rest of the idea is explained on the page, if you can read my terrible chicken-scratch handwriting.

Posted Image
Lord Plutarch, the main villain of my Wulfgard comics. Yes, he's an evil wizard with a goatee. Yes, that's cliché as hell. Yes, that was intentional. Yes, he's still awesome. Just wait and see.

Posted Image
This sketch is roughly 20% cooler than most of the other sketches here.

Posted Image
So I read this article about how Blizzard tried to give all the different races in World of Warcraft a unique silhouette, as defined by their hight, build, and posture. This was my attempt to define the races of Nova Refuge in a similar manner and see how the same basic suit of armor might look on each of them. You know, in case there's a Nova Refuge RPG someday. :D

Posted Image
Some ship ideas for Nova Refuge. The ship at the top is my attempt to design basically the coolest-looking ship I could to serve as the "Enomeg insertion craft" nicknamed Project Stingray (a reference to my old Star Wars fanfiction). This ship may play a very important role in my books.

The basis for the shapes of the Starhopper and Starchaser at the bottom is a very strange one. When I was a kid, I used to make these weird shapes with my fingers and then pretend my hand was a spaceship and make it fly around the room. yes, you read that right. :mellow: This is my attempt to interpret those crude shapes into what my young imagination was actually seeing.

Posted Image
Some sketches of Xarkon armor, when I was trying to interpret my LEGO minifigs into a suit of armor I could use in my Warbringer comic. Yes yes, the guns are total crap, right? Anyway, you should recognize this from the Nova Member rank icons. This is where I came up with the helmet designs you see on those.

That's all for now! But I have some more sketches lined up for posting later. :)

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#2 Wiffleball

Wiffleball

Special Operations

• Nova Patron
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:28 AM

Spoiler

Of course, this is all juss according to the myths I've read. There are many others, and there is a good chance we've heard differently :P

Anyway, these drawings are awesome. Like, really awesome. Especially the Rainbow Dash one!

#3 Kreoss

Kreoss

Where now are the horse and the rider?

• Nova Patron
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:38 AM

GAAAA!!! TOOO MUCH AWESOME!!!!!

Really cool Scorp, nice job! I really, really, really, like Rainbow dash in the awesome armor. :patties: Very nice job.

Posted Image
Coming eventually to a Brick Theater near you!

#4 Proxyclaw

Proxyclaw

Professional Anomaly

• 1,611 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

Posted Image
This sketch is roughly 20% cooler than most of the other sketches here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKWpGJ4Xhw8

There's a difference between "oddness" and brainless, mindscrewing confusion.

#5 Nemesis

Nemesis

It's a mumorpuger!

• 825 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

Loving the pics, my favourites are the EON ships. Coincidentally, that page bares uncanny resemblance to the back of my old french book. Although the drawings are actually good. That last one with the Xarkon soldier is amazing as well, no matter how much I try I can never draw people, let alone to the degree of giving them armour! After seeing that pony one, I'm now really curious to see what all the fuss is about. Seriously what is going on with them ponies?

On a side note, I had no idea Odin has wolves... you learn something new everyday, huh.
...I really need to think up something witty to put here.

#6 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Patron
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:16 AM

Oh gods, it's all so beautiful, where to begin?! Well first off, Boyle, this image confirms that, not only is he awesome, but that Sam Elliot would be perfect to play him on the big screen. Then there's Greeshakk, looking awesome as usual, I'm really digging the rifle idea you've got drawn in there. Jade's armor is looking great, and I am 100% behind the spirit-animal idea, it makes perfect sense for the Slashrim. I can totally see Greeshakk's being a large Archeopteryx-like bird, it's got that right blend of ruthlessness, majesty, and radiance to fit him and his vision for the Slashrim. The native wildlife is looking pretty cool, though I question the feasibility of something using wings to fly on a high gravity world like O. The Stingray... That looks brilliant. I love the shape, something like the Copperhead dropships from Spirits Within minus the tail and with a different wing/engine arrangement, though I'm not sure what you mean by calling the wing-tips "buoys". Is it water-landing capable? Because then the correct term would be "pontoons". Either way I'm getting the urge to draw this up in AutoCAD right now, just to make sure I can find a way to fit it into the hangar of the Æsir-class.

So yeah, these all look awesome. The only complaint I can come up with for ANY of them is "why isn't this finished/uploaded to the site already?"

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#7 Proxyclaw

Proxyclaw

Professional Anomaly

• 1,611 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:26 AM

Forgot to add this: I love the Inquisition masks

There's a difference between "oddness" and brainless, mindscrewing confusion.

#8 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

I'm loving every bit of it. Especially the pony. Sweet helmet. And I love the Wulfgard and various warrior pictures. :D So Scorp, are you going to be doing requests like all the other sketchbook artists around here? No? Ah... it's ok. :P

#9 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:54 AM

Of course, this is all juss according to the myths I've read. There are many others, and there is a good chance we've heard differently

Good enough. You get an upvote. :D The myth about the well of wisdom varies some, yes.

Loving the pics, my favourites are the EON ships. Coincidentally, that page bares uncanny resemblance to the back of my old french book. Although the drawings are actually good. That last one with the Xarkon soldier is amazing as well, no matter how much I try I can never draw people, let alone to the degree of giving them armour! After seeing that pony one, I'm now really curious to see what all the fuss is about. Seriously what is going on with them ponies?

On a side note, I had no idea Odin has wolves... you learn something new everyday, huh.

Well, if you're good at drawing space ships or something, the individual pieces of armor shouldn't be too hard. Putting them on a human body is always the hard part. I always recommend the classic I grew up with, How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way. A lot of the details (like how to draw womens' eyelashes) are pretty outdated now, but that's where I learned basic anatomy when I was growing up. :D

As for ponies, well, either you love 'em or you don't, it seems. All I can say is it's a fun and surprisingly well-written show for a "little girls' cartoon." :)

Odin has everything awesome, basically. :cool:

Oh gods, it's all so beautiful, where to begin?! Well first off, Boyle, this image confirms that, not only is he awesome, but that Sam Elliot would be perfect to play him on the big screen. Then there's Greeshakk, looking awesome as usual, I'm really digging the rifle idea you've got drawn in there. Jade's armor is looking great, and I am 100% behind the spirit-animal idea, it makes perfect sense for the Slashrim. I can totally see Greeshakk's being a large Archeopteryx-like bird, it's got that right blend of ruthlessness, majesty, and radiance to fit him and his vision for the Slashrim. The native wildlife is looking pretty cool, though I question the feasibility of something using wings to fly on a high gravity world like O. The Stingray... That looks brilliant. I love the shape, something like the Copperhead dropships from Spirits Within minus the tail and with a different wing/engine arrangement. I'm getting the urge to draw this up in AutoCAD right now, just to make sure I can find a way to fit it into the hangar of the Æsir-class.

So yeah, these all look awesome. The only complaint I can come up with for ANY of them is "why isn't this finished/uploaded to the site already?"

Boyle is basically a combination of every mustachio'd gunslinger ever, from Sam Elliot to Lee Van Cleef to Revolver Ocelot. I've often thought aobut toning down his cowboy-ness, but I just don't have the heart to do it.

Oooh, glad you like the spirit animal idea. :D Yeah, I knew Greeshakk's spirit beast couldn't be an Earth-creature, so I went for something dinosaur-like that could be native to Slasheth and embody his ferocious free spirit.

Hey! Spirits Within! That's something I've actually seen. :o And yeah, it's meant to be a vehicle as awesome as the Enomegs themselves, used for stealth insertions wherever they need to go.

I'm pretty lazy about finishing things. No, I'm terribly lazy about finishing things. :P I've been needing to work on the NR site forever now, but I always feel like the time would be better spent working on the book itself. I'm trying to get a wiki up so that others can help me keep the information up to date. Especially you.

Forgot to add this: I love the Inquisition masks

Why thanks! I'm very proud of you for commenting on something besides the Rainbow Dash, even though I did draw her partially for you. :P

I'm loving every bit of it. Especially the pony. Sweet helmet. :D So Scorp, are you going to be doing requests like all the other sketchbook artists around here? No? Ah... it's ok.

It depends on the request, but I'll certainly consider them! :) Feel free to post what you'd like to see.

-Scorp
tinyicon_rss.pngtinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_mocpages.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.png

#10 Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt

Federal Bureau of Interestingness

• Nova Patron
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

It depends on the request, but I'll certainly consider them! :) Feel free to post what you'd like to see.

Maybe the second greatest diety ever... the God of Lightning. :o And a couple Wulfgard characters of mine, though you'd need more info than that, of course. ;)

#11 Cutlass-Crocodile

Cutlass-Crocodile

. . .

• Nova Patron
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:28 AM

Wait – did my eyes play tricks, or was it the famed Bomm and Citoach I spied among many more fine sketches? Honestly, I think the chart with the half-giants is my favorite sketch, but that one with the Xarkon soldier’s armor is especially nice, too. I’m just happy to see you posting your own sketches in the ODB, since I always like seeing your art. :P

RNGcoloredntouched%20-%20Copy_zpsy9qggiv

... keep your paper heart away from me.

#12 Sir_Muffonious

Sir_Muffonious

Rock on, gold dust woman.

• Nova Patron
  • 6,885 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:31 AM

The size comparison drawing for the chaos races and the Jotun races is awesome, as are the Lord Plutarch and Odin drawings. I also really like the look of the guy-who-hasn't-appeared-in-the-Wulfgard-comic-but-has-been-mentioned-by-name guy.

Now draw some dragons. DRAW STORMKRAG, NOW.

tumblr_mv5348v8GT1qghl49o1_500.gif

#13 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Patron
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:31 AM

Boyle is basically a combination of every mustachio'd gunslinger ever, from Sam Elliot to Lee Van Cleef to Revolver Ocelot. I've often thought aobut toning down his cowboy-ness, but I just don't have the heart to do it.

It's okay, even The Big Lebowski failed to do that. :P

Hey! Spirits Within! That's something I've actually seen. :o And yeah, it's meant to be a vehicle as awesome as the Enomegs themselves, used for stealth insertions wherever they need to go.

Yes, one of the few good things to come out of the Final Fantasy franchise since they took their current form. It's definitely a cool little ship, sort of like a stealth Delta Flyer meets Scorp's Avenger armor.

I'm pretty lazy about finishing things. No, I'm terribly lazy about finishing things. :P I've been needing to work on the NR site forever now, but I always feel like the time would be better spent working on the book itself. I'm trying to get a wiki up so that others can help me keep the information up to date. Especially you.

Well that I can certainly do, but write away, o master of the Refuge!

I suppose I should comment on the Wulfgard stuff, shouldn't I? The inquisition stuff is undeniably cool, and I really like the architecture study, it certainly gives a good feel for the look of the Empire. The different concepts for Deamonique's horns are pretty neat, the center one just screams "DEMONA!" to me :P. And are those Bomm and Citoach I see in the first image? I guess the only other thing I can say is that I'd love to see that size chart finished.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#14 Agamemnon

Agamemnon

Don't care

• Nova Patron
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:39 AM

For some reason the Eon reminds me of this thing. I think it's just the wing shape that's doing that though. Anywho, you got some cool stuff in here man. Really liking the Slashrim and Achmer stuff you've got designed. Also that Odin picture is excellent :P

#15 The Dingster

The Dingster

THEY'RE GONNA KNOW US WELL

• Nova Patron
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:52 AM

Those guns aint crap! Those are awesome!
If you wanna see crappy guns look at my drawings XD
Really sometimes there so bad I just draw a stick cause it looks way better.
You are one awesome artist. I love the Xarkon armor! I really wish you could make helmets for legos :lol:
That would be nice...
91% of Christian teens today are unsure of God being the absolute truth. If you're part of the 9% that is, put this text in your signature.

#16 El Taco

El Taco

Sympathy via light physical contact

• 2,244 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:08 AM

As much as I love all the sketches, there's only one I'm going to specifically comment on.

Joergan is the most bad-ass looking Northerner ever.

If you want money in your coffee, if you want secrets in your tea...

#17 Yava

Yava

Snacks for the swarm

• Nova Patron
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

More like 19.5% cooler than the others. Except the Jade one.

#18 Sniper-Serpent

Sniper-Serpent

Tick Tick Boom

• Nova Patron
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:06 AM

When I was looking atthe Inquisition masks, I thought: Fantasy Revan? What? I have KOTOR on the brain, but it amused me that I was right on the inspiration. I like the Xarkonian guns, And the armour of course. I personally don't like MLP, so the pony one is meh, And I like the Slashrim, but I can't find Jade. Where is she?
Posted Image
Proud member of Aperature science.

#19 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

• Webmaster
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:21 AM

I'm glad people like Joergen's outfit. I can't wait to get to him in the comic - he's one of the most fun characters to write. If only I could make the comic move faster... argh!

Now draw some dragons. DRAW STORMKRAG, NOW.

Good idea! :D

And I like the Slashrim, but I can't find Jade. Where is she?

This is the Jade sketch: http://www.saber-sco.../jade_tiger.png
The tiger design is explained in the OP, if you can find it in there. I know it's a long and confusing post. :P

-Scorp

#20 Squirrel

Squirrel

• Nova Patron
  • 777 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:28 AM

I think I read something about the next novel in there... How far have you got with that? :)

I host the SSLF Minecraft Server. Head on over to Red Base to get added to the whitelist. If you would like to help out with paying the hosting bills, please do donate.

Also, have you considered becoming a Nova Member?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users