• This topic is locked This topic is locked
119 replies to this topic

#101 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,290 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

Animal Crossing delayed to March 2020.

Please show me some Bayo 3, Nintendo. Please.

Bro.

EDIT - They did a third party game montage, and they're ending it on a smash. Banjo and Kazooie are here.

EDIT - They're not going to show Bayonetta 3. Kill me.

EDIT - OOOOH WHAT? They have a secret 'one more thing', and it looks like Zelda Breath of the Wild. Maybe a sequel?

EDIT - "THE SEQUEL TO THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD IS NOW IN DEVELOPMENT"

Well, that came out of nowhere. It was Link and Zelda exploring some kind of scary cave under Hyrule with a creepy mummy inside. Are we getting that Majora's-Mask-esque dark Zelda sequel we always hoped for?

#102 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

You're welcome, internets.

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:47 AM

I was getting more Twilight Princess vibes, but that might just be me.

#103 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:56 AM

I hope they make the Gerudo women even more muscular this time. Also hope they don't bring back weapon degradation.

OK, well, E3 is over for another year and still no sign of Bayonetta 3. And no Babylon's Fall at Square's show, either. Astral Chain looks great, but daddy needs constant reassurance that his stories haven't been secretly cancelled.

They're doing the absolute most boring presentation of Pokemon Sword/Shield on Treehouse right now, just tiptoeing around in the Wild Area catching Metapods. I'm not going to stay up for this.

#104 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:02 AM

Here's a Google doc covering what else is going to be shown on the floor, interviews, etc. for the rest of E3.

Konami has a "Special Announcement" later today, oh boy.

#105 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:05 AM

^Looks like that's where we're going to see all the gameplay we didn't get to see during the actual conferences. I'll have to catch up with it tomorrow.

The Konami thing is just going to be their soccer game or a 2D game collection or something, guaranteed. I'm never going to get excited about Konami stuff again :P

#106 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:15 AM

Well, RE5 and 6 on the Switch is pretty sweet, though, for when I fully convert to Microsoft and Nintendeez for the first time in my life because Sony has completely forsaken me.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#107 Phaedrus

Phaedrus

find inner soul

• Nova Member
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:29 AM

So, like... who won? Or did we all lose?

#108 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

CDPR won. I think they were the only ones who did.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#109 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:38 AM

I think maybe Nintendo won, but they were still like a 5/10 at best. They were mediocre while everyone else was bad, so they win by default.

This was a bad year, you guys. I kind of expected it, what with it being the last year before the next generation hype machine spools up, but even taking that into account it was awful. Why all the CG trailers? Didn't we come here to see video games? I'm pretty sure I came here to see video games. I understand that it's a strain on developers to create a vertical slice demo solely to show at these trade shows, but we were seeing CG trailers for games that are only a matter of months away. How does a game like Gears 5 not have any gameplay to show when it's out in September and we saw gameplay from it LAST YEAR?

Also, Nintendo doesn't have the excuse of being between generations, because the Switch should be in full swing right now. They did OK. Better than the Wii U years, but hardly a showstopper. I am so salty about not seeing Bayonetta 3 TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

Sony made the right decision by not showing up this year.

#110 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

FF7 won, obviously. Not even Squeenix, just FF7. That trailer was crazy hype.

#111 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:48 AM

FFVII Remake wins Best Individual Presentation

Breath of the Wild sequel wins Most Surprising Announcement

Ubisoft wins Worst of E3

Bayonetta 3 and Babylon's Fall are tied for Games Ocelot is Saltiest About Not Seeing

Microsoft ties with Sony for Most Gameplay Shown

Keanu Reeves wins Most Breathtaking

#112 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:50 AM

https://twitter.com/...300276791205895

Atsushi Inaba (PlatinumGames): Babylon's Fall and Bayonetta 3 developments "going smoothly"; asked whether The Wonderful 101 is coming to Switch he asks to be "patient with it", potential for new PG titles to be announced in 2019

More: https://t.co/2cLesifWG4

#113 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:57 AM

Microsoft ties with Sony for Most Gameplay Shown

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.

Someone call emergency services, Microsoft needs something for that burn.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#114 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

Sony about to step in?
https://twitter.com/...8240050179?s=20

Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.

PS5 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 9.2 Tflops somehow equal to 14.x Tflops on GCN? FEB 2020 reveal?

XB4 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 8 Tflops? Equal to some other number like 13 on GCN? JUNE 2020

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

#115 Rune Walsh

Rune Walsh

• Nova Member
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

They're doing Astral Chain on the Treehouse right now

Character customization confirmed.

Game starts with a bike chase.

You use your Legion to clean up alien goo and investigate crimes.

Secret toilets in every mission.

Three different weapons and Five different Legions to use.

#116 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:08 PM

Catching up with Astral Chain now. The game dumps you straight out of the character creator into a sick motorcycle chase in a tunnel at a hundred miles an hour. That's it, baby. This is what Platinum is all about.

Like we suspected, it's definitely The Wonderful 101 inspired. Your Legion (the cyber demon you command) is controlled by holding ZL and using the right analogue stick, ala the Wonder Liner from W101. So when you're tying up bad guys you actually control the Legion with the right stick and steer him in a circle around something to tie it up with his chain. I'm guessing there'll be a pretty high learning curve to wrap your head around how it works, but once you get it it's going to feel amazing.

#117 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:58 PM

OK, final, official, definitive rankings of E3 2019, not counting Devolver because if we're being honest they'd win every year:

1. Nintendo: Not exactly an emphatic win by any stretch, but by showing up with a merely mediocre presentation they triumphed over all the outright bad ones. Lots of games, most of them coming out in 2019 and presented with actual gameplay footage, and a few tantalizing teases for 2020 and beyond. My salt levels over not seeing Bayonetta 3 after they announced it in 2017 know no bounds, but Astral Chain coming in a matter of weeks is a nice consolation prize. There are probably five or six Switch exclusives that I'd like to play before the end of the year, so I have to give them credit. That Breath of the Wild sequel is pretty much exactly what people had hoped for but nobody dared actually expect, too.

2. Microsoft: Everything was CG trailers for 2020 and beyond. What do they have for the rest of this year? Gears 5 with no gameplay. Ori with no gameplay. All the same shooters you can play on your PS4. With no gameplay. On the other hand, in terms of giving me a bunch of stuff I can play right now, they've actually been pretty great. They let me pay $1 to convert the 10 months of regular Game Pass I already had into 11 months of Game Pass Ultimate (which seems insane and I have no idea how they make any money on that), and a bunch of stuff to download and play right now. My grand plan to buy an Xbox and just play Game Pass games was a huge success. New backwards compatibility games, new 4K patches for stuff, and they just gave away Too Human for free to everyone. I like free stuff. Also Keanu Reeves was there.

3. Square-Enix: After that BLISTERING presentation for Final Fantasy VII Remake I thought they had this whole E3 in the bag, but then they just fizzled out into remasters and re-releases of old JRPGs I'm not familiar with, they didn't show Babylon's Fall, and the long-awaited reveal of their big Avengers project turned out to be, again, a CG trailer that gives no idea what the game will actually be. They talk about singleplayer campaigns and four-player co-op GaaS in the same breath, not mentioning how those things will co-exist, and they promise free updates, which means they're relying on microtransaction whales to subsidize the game for everyone else. And Cap looks terrible and apparently dies in the beginning. Did I mention Babylon's Fall wasn't there?

4. Bethesda: Todd came out, almost apologised for Fallout 76, and then changed the subject and pretended it was all OK. They had Shinji Mikami's protege Ikumi Nakamura, who was too pure for this world, and a new game from Arkane that might be my new favourite thing... except I don't really know what it is, because, say it with me, everything was CG trailers. They had a bunch of Elder-Scrolls-adjacent stuff that made my eyes glaze over, but Doom Eternal did look fantastic and it's still coming out this year.

5. Ubisoft: More like Eww-bisoft. More like Ubihard... to watch. More like WHY DID I WAKE UP AT 4am FOR THAT? Watch Dogs 3 looks like a fun time, but it's 2020, and then they just showed an endless procession of mindless Tom Clancying with like five different variations on the exact same modern military, assault-rifle-toting, picatinny-rail-'em-up GaaS rootin' tootin' looter shootin'. They aren't making a new Splinter Cell, but they featured Sam Fisher in some abysmal looking phone game about tactically murdering foreigners but it's OK because it has cartoony graphics. No Beyond Good & Evil 2. One new game that doesn't involve shooting a man, Gods & Monsters, and it was (all together now!) A CG TRAILER THAT GIVES YOU NO IDEA HOW IT PLAYS.

E3 2019 gets a 2/10. I have wasted hours of my life watching it, and I won't get those hours back. I will let the winner of E3 2018 render his verdict on this year's show:

JfA1sEV.gif

#118 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,129 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:17 AM

Well I liked a few games here and there. Honestly the release schedule seems to land before mid 2020 on every game with gameplay shown for PS4 and Xb1. Like everything releasing later is cgi. Nintendo did well I believe and Microsoft did as well. They did have a brief gameplay segment of Gears 5 on pc at the AMD show. We all know new Fable, Froza are in development.

Ubisoft has Watch Dogs 3. Pretty interesting, but beyond that nothing. We know they have an assassin's Creed in development.

Sony drops a tweet earlier today under the playstation Twitter page suggesting that it's time to step in with 3 pictures of a cyberpunk booth? Supposedly they will have last of us 2, and ghosts of in the next sop video

Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.

PS5 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 9.2 Tflops somehow equal to 14.x Tflops on GCN? FEB 2020 reveal?

XB4 - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 8 Tflops? Equal to some other number like 13 on GCN? JUNE 2020

Switch 2/ Switch Go? - Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms. 

#119 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:01 PM

Ubisoft has a 30 minute Watch Dogs 3 demo, completely different footage from the one during the stage show. I think this 'play as literally anyone in the entire game' thing could be really cool. I'm hoping I can play as an old granny and go stealth and non-lethal as much as possible:

Another half-hour of Astral Chain from Nintendo Treehouse. This game looks GOOD, boys and girls. Shame it's coming out in a year where DMC5 has GOTY all wrapped up, because in any other year it'd have a good shot at the big time (at least for my own list of GOTYs :P):

Looks like we're not getting any footage of Marvel's Avengers, because it's apparently running too rough for primetime and Reddit would rip it apart and send death threats, but they showed gameplay behind closed doors so there are impressions videos from journalists. Still no real idea of what the game actually is, though. It seems like press were just shown the big bombastic opening mission, but given no impression of the larger structure of all the GaaS stuff. When a developer says 'GaaS' I hear 'endlessly grinding the same missions forever':

Here's the Link's Awakening remake on Nintendo Treehouse, showing off some overworld gameplay and some of the dungeon creator mode with Eiji Aonuma. I'm surprised to see it's a very un-Nintendo choppy 30FPS when you're out exploring the town, then once you go inside a building it jumps up to 60FPS. I hope they can iron that out before launch, but given that it's only a few weeks away I don't know if that's possible:

Some gameplay from Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2:

#120 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,290 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:44 PM

POPULAR

OK, well, to put this one to bed, I want to thank all of you for E3ing with me for another year. I'm sorry I couldn't have made it a better one through sheer force of will, but there are limits to even my powers of getting unreasonably hyped over what is, at the end of the day, a giant cynical marketing exercise for driving pre-order numbers.

E3 2019. Not a good one. But then, how does one appreciate the good E3s without the bad to which they might be compared? What I'm saying is ONLY ABOUT 355 MORE SLEEPS UNTIL E3 2020, BABY! GET HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYPE!

I leave you with the most succinct possible summary of this year's event:

jzKcO5m.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users