NewsLore WikiMapStories (Novels, Comics, etc.)Artwork GalleryGamesShopForum (Discussion Board)

Jump to content


Photo

ZONE - Roadside inn near the Tall Fort


113 replies to this topic

#101 Sir Solitaire

Sir Solitaire

    Plumber

  • Nova Member
  • 2,787 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:36 AM

Augustin slowly woke as sunlight crept through the window, slowly illuminating the room. He sat up and stretched his upper body, feeling well rested. He rubbed out of his eyes and stood up, stretching his legs out. The light had filled the room as the inquisitor finished his small exercise routine. Finishing up Augustin donned his void armor, encasing his body in the jet black iron except for his head, which he wore his wide-brimmed hat. Strapping on his weapons, Augustin leisurely strolled down the stairs to see that lead Templar, Stevan, had set up a map.

 

Augustin quietly took a seat at the table and took off his hat, setting it on the table in front of him. He glanced up as the table began to fill with his travelling companions. Once everyone had found a seat Stevan explained the situation.

 

Augustin listened to the two choices that faced the party. They could either pursue some headcase and hope he had a lead, or they could investigate kidnappings in another town. The inquisitor pondered on the decision, trying to weigh them. On one side the headcase sounded more of a direct lead. It wasn’t possible that an Inquisitor could have driven a Templar insane. The other choice was to protect the people of the Empire and hope it had a connection to Letom.

 

Augustin knew which lead his sense of duty demanded he pursue.

 

A Templar spoke up. “I'm going to cast my vote for Pirgos. It seems more important to me, and people are in danger.”

 

“I agree. It is our duty to protect the Empire,” Augustin said levelly and gently swiped a speck of dust off of his wide-brimmed hat. “Ignoring an obvious threat is to shirk our duties as Imperial Orders. I vote we go to Pirgos.”


gplus-1832912543.gif


Non ergo in te vocabo


#102 Flammenwerfer

Flammenwerfer

    ɘidwɘИ

  • Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:20 AM

Gauvain had acquiesced to sleeping on the floor of his room that night, while Malvolio and Irena took the beds. He didn’t care much whether he got a bed or not, as long as he was able to rest, so when the time came to divvy out rooms, he was content to let everyone rest on soft comfortable mattresses while he lay on hard wood. At least he didn’t risk breaking the floor by lying on it, which he couldn’t say for the beds.

 

His sleep was surprisingly restful despite his unorthodox choice of resting place. Perhaps, just like a cat, he could sleep anywhere. When he finally woke, he was hungry. He donned his armour and trudged downstairs, where it seemed a number of their group were already awake and sitting around a table with a map laid out on it.

 

Gauvain, however hungry he might have been, took a seat round the table. Food was important, yes, but their mission was much more so. Once everyone was down and sitting round the table, he listened patiently as two options were presented. Both were interesting to him. If the madman had information about Letom, then they had to go after him. On the other hand, there were citizens of the Empire going missing, and it was their duty as Templars to help the people.

 

Where to go? It was a tough choice, and he wasn’t sure he’d be entirely happy if he went for one over the other.

 

“Deltalund,” he said finally. “It could bring us closer to catching Letom.”


sbYysQn.jpg

 

---Writing Coming Soon---

 

Star Wars: Stormtroopers


#103 Sareth

Sareth

    Master of Fate

  • Nova Member
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:10 PM

Kristina awoke, well-rested, to find that her room was rather more occupied than it had been when she went to bed the night before. The two new arrivals were, as yet, still asleep —she had a tendency to wake up early, whether she wanted to or not.

 

Slipping out of bed, she took a moment to stretch and then quickly put on all her clothing and gear; while she didn't make any explicit effort to wake the other two, neither did she make any particular effort to be quiet —it was already light out, it was time they were on their way.

 

Once fully dressed, she headed downstairs, to find Stevan already waiting, a map spread on the table, along with a couple others, and so pulled up a chair and waited silently while the rest of the group trickled in.

 

Once everyone had arrived, Stevan gave his briefing. She was silent for a few moments afterwards, thinking. It disturbed her somewhat that the group was so split. Still...

 

"Perhaps, perhaps not. We don't have any insight into what's truly going on in Pirgos. In the time we spend desperately hunting for leads or chasing red herrings, it might already be too late. Or worse, it might just be a trap."

 

Kristina couldn't help but make a slight sound of disgust at that. "We're guardians of the people, we don't ignore situations just because they might be dangerous" she replied to the templar Lady dryly, a hint of reproach in her voice.

 

"I say we should go to Pirgos —those people need our help" she said, turning to Stevan.

 

***

 

It had taken Sarael some time to fall asleep the night before, so full of anticipation she had been, yet she still felt bright and perky when she woke up.

 

Noticing that Ben was already up and getting dressed, she quickly followed suit, girding herself with her armor and weapons, and then following the Inquisitor downstairs, taking up a spot a little back from the table so that some of the shorter members could get closer, as she could see over them without much difficulty.

 

She was quiet while Stevan explained their options.

 

She remained quiet while some of the others started giving their opinions, her mind desperately racing to think of something —anything— that elevated one choice over the other. But, she couldn't think of any. Both could lead them to 'Letom', both had serious time pressure, and both had lives in danger. She wished they could do both —but Stevan had said that probably couldn't happen.

 

... She just didn't know!

 

And so, she stayed silent while the others voted...

 

 

 

((Abstains... for now, at least.))

 

 


"This means I will not have to regret sending back their envoy short a few limbs."

Posted Image

#104 Ratcatcher

Ratcatcher

    Yes, I also handle elemental rats

  • Nova Member
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

Lucy lay perfectly still, though her mind raced at high speeds. She was in the middle of wondering whether sh would use her vacation time to visit family, when Mettius interrupted her thoughts.

...What do you think of those with the Condition? He finally asked, after a long moment. Do you think they should be killed, or saved, or whatever? The scarlet-haired Inquisitor was relieved to hear him speak. She thought nothing of the question itself. It was as though him talking stilled her mind, and soothed her worries.

"I don't think anybody deserves to be killed. People with the Condition are still people. They just need help. If I have a sickness, I should see a doctor. It's like that." She paused, thinking more about her stance. "Personally, from what I've seen, I think the Condition does something to their minds. It might be warping it or something. What about you? What do you think about people with the Condition? What's the best thing to do with them?"

#105 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

    Hulloo! :3

  • Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

"I don't think anybody deserves to be killed. People with the Condition are still people. They just need help. If I have a sickness, I should see a doctor. It's like that." She paused, thinking more about her stance. "Personally, from what I've seen, I think the Condition does something to their minds. It might be warping it or something. What about you? What do you think about people with the Condition? What's the best thing to do with them?"

 

Mettius stayed silent for a long time. He felt a little sick, hearing what she said. Warping his mind? He was fine! It was the stress of hiding his Condition - or Gift, depending on who you asked - that was driving him crazy. He bit his lip, struggling not to blurt out his secret. If he did, he knew now what she would do, especially since his void iron was off. At best, she would panic.

 

At worst, Tibur would be unable to help any of his ‘kind’ out. Ever.

 

“...I agree with you.” He finally said. “Except… maybe it’s just the power getting to their heads.” He offered, tentatively. “Like with nobles: just… magic is even more powerful, I suppose.” Mettius shrugged. “Or it’s the stress of hiding their Condition.” The Ebonguard mumbled, almost to himself.

 

After a moment, he cleared his throat. “So, uh, yeah. I think they should… well, be taken into protective custody, like we do. Well, like most of us do.” Tibur yawned. “I mean, unless they’re like this Letom bastard… there’s having the Condition, and then there’s murder and making pacts with demons…”

 

-----

 

Regardless of how that conversation went, the next morning Mettius got up early, feeling more refreshed than usual… especially when he found his and Lucy’s room was free of ice or any other unnatural chill. Sighing, he quickly began pulling his armor back on, hearing others beginning to get up and gather their equipment. A steady parade of footsteps outside the room suggested everyone was headed down for breakfast and probably a meeting to figure out what was going on.

 

So, once Tibur was armored up, he left the still-slumbering Lucy to dream on as he trudged out and downstairs, joining the rest of the party around a map. He tucked his helmet under his arm, offering Lucy a sheepish nod when she joined them, and then he turned his attention to the Templar apparently briefing them.

 

“Just keep in mind... we might not get the chance to act on both leads, unless the gods favor us with quite a bit of luck.”

 

Mettius nodded slowly, scratching his stubble. “Then I believe... it’s our duty to help the people of Pirgos.” He decided. “It may be less direct, but our ultimate goal is to protect these people, rather than squander it following a possible lead.”

 

-----

 

Irena sighed as she joined the others at the table, subtly rubbing her back. Perhaps, on second thought, she should have agreed to her fellow Templar’s offer and taken a bed. At least, that’s what her back was practically begging her to do next time. Cathas staunchly resisted - for now - the temptation to go sneak up to one of the beds before they left, simply standing by Stevan as he began his coverage of their two leads.

 

“Just keep in mind... we might not get the chance to act on both leads, unless the gods favor us with quite a bit of luck.”

 

The group seemed pretty divided, while Cathas herself was leaning more towards helping the insane man… and possibly getting a direct lead to Letom. She let the others get their arguments out before quietly clearing her throat.

 

“What if we split up?” She suggested. “There are quite a few of us, and… many capable leaders, I believe,” the monk went on, still not raising her voice. “I think we can cover both of these leads pretty well with mixed forces of Templars and Inquisitors. And the Venatori, of course.” Irena offered a small bow to the two monster hunters.

 

“Whether or not that is an option, though… I think we should go to Deltalund.”


tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480


#106 Ratcatcher

Ratcatcher

    Yes, I also handle elemental rats

  • Nova Member
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

“...I agree with you.” Tibur replied. “Except… maybe it’s just the power getting to their heads. Like with nobles, just… magic is even more powerful, I suppose.” Lucy could see that. “Or it’s the stress of hiding their Condition.” That also made a lot of sense. Perhaps she had thought of him too lightly. He seemed like a really experienced Inquisitor. “So, uh, yeah. I think they should… well, be taken into protective custody, like we do. Well, like most of us do.” Tibur yawned. “I mean, unless they’re like this Letom bastard… there’s having the Condition, and then there’s murder and making pacts with demons…”

 

"Yeah, you're right," Lucy agreed, though to what she made it unclear. She was suddenly hit by a wave of tiredness, and yawned. "Sometimes I wish we didn't have to capture them. I wish there was a way to contain or cure the Condition. But, anyways, you're tired, and I'm pretty sleepy myself. Goodnight Mettius. I'll see you in the morning." Before she fell asleep, she got up, kneeling on her bed, and said a quick prayer to Astra Aeterna. Dear Eternal Star, she thought, as she was taught, thank you for my life and breath. Thank you for creating the beautiful world we live in. Please watch over us tonight, and if it is in your best interest, keep us safe by day, that we may spread knowledge of Virtues to those in need. Amen. When she finished, she crawled into bed.

 

-------------------------------

Sooner or later, Lucy found herself a little groggy, sitting through a briefing that she tried to pay close attention, but her trailing mind couldn't pause for what it thought to be unnecessary details. The gist of it was that they needed to decide whether they wanted to go to Pirgos or Deltalund, to either investigate mysterious happenings or talk to a crazy person. Ben walked in sometime before or during the briefing; he nodded, and she lazily winked, not hiding the fact that she wasn't much of a morning person.

 

Her stomach growled. Do we get breakfast? she thought.

 

Lucy listened for the votes, tallying them up in her head. She had kind of expected more of a battle about it, but it turned out that everybody's sense of duty was keeping them proud and civil. Which was awesome, actually. Well, sort of. There was a slight debate of philosophy going on. She realized that she hadn't cast her opinion. She hadn't even conceived her opinion.

 

"Well," she said, "I don't see what's wrong with splitting up, to try and help everyone." Augustus was about to vote for Pirgo as Mettius had, but something about Deltalund just seemed... right. She just couldn't shake the gnawing feeling that this crazy person-- Julius-- could be really beneficial. "If we don't split, then I think we should head to Deltalund. Any information he has on Letom could help us stop him sooner, saving more lives than the ones we could save in Pirgo." She looked around, slightly intimidated by all of the tall people who had voted for Pirgo. Her stomach growled again, revealing a minute hunger pain. "...AhhhhhhI'm going to get some food while we keep making the decision." Lucy stood up and went over to the innkeeper, asking him if there was any breakfast available.

 

((VOTE: Split-up OR Deltalund))



#107 GhostlyCheese

GhostlyCheese

    Don't touch my SunnyD

  • Banned
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:06 PM

Grey Blackwell had made the decision to never again share a room with Holt. Soon after he rose and stretched his limbs, freeing tension built up in the night. Grey dressed into his equipment wrapped his cloak and shawl around himself. He pulled his brooch from a fold in the neck wrapping and rubbed a bit of tarnish off it. The Venator then wiped his face with a dampened cloth before making his way to where the group had gathered.

The Templar Captain, Rolf, presented a few options on where they should lead their investigation. Both were filled with possibilities and 'maybes', and often mentioned how looking into so,etching could lead to finding and stopping Letom. Grey was unsure, it seemed like both could provide some clue to where the fugitive could be. When the monk presented the idea of splitting up, Blackwell gave his input.

"What if we split up? She suggested. There are quite a few of us, and many capable leaders, I believe, the monk went on, still not raising her voice. I think we can cover both of these leads pretty well with mixed forces of Templars and Inquisitors. And the Venatori, of course. Irena offered a small bow to the two monster hunters.

Grey looked over at the scribe and nodded. "It isn't a bad idea." Grey shrugged and continued. "Of course, you would only have half the number of Templar and Inquisition forces on each side, not to mention only having a single Venator at each location." Grey tried taking all threats into account. "My point is that we would need to divide our forces accordingly if we did splIt." Grey finished, it seemed whichever one he chose, another opportunity or life was given up. He remained impartial, weighing all odds.

21.jpg


#108 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

    Gloria fortis miles

  • Member
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

Cicero had awoken well rested, and Augustin had already left. Putting on his armor and strapping his weapons to his body, Cicero headed downstairs. There were two potential leads, each one with at least one life at risk. Cicero thought over the options in his head.

"I vote for Pirgos, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur


#109 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

    That was Dramatic...

  • Nova Patron
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

I wasn’t going to take a room. If it is all the same to you, I would rather not get too comfortable, I’m used to this.

 

Malvolio nodded "Right, see you tomorrow."

 

*

 

The Scarred Templar had spent the night peacefully in one of the beds in the room he shared. He came down from the room to partake of his breakfast while listening to the two choices that the group had,

 

Did they want to go to Deltalund and Pigros?

 

Malvolio listened to the others opinions, and finished his breakfast, before he said "I agree with Cathas: I think we should go to Deltalund.

 

---

 

Evan had spent a pleasant enough night, having had to stay in a room with several other people, but it was not that pleasant for the others. During the night, the dark skinned Inquisitor had sleepwalked down to the bar, ordered several drinks, and then returned to his room, tripped over Gauvain, and then had gone back to bed.

 

In the morning, Evan was faced with the choice between going to two different places.

 

Would he go to Deltalund or Pigros?

 

"I vote for Pigros." The Inquisitor said bluntly.



#110 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

    Alpha Leader

  • Forums Administrator
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:00 PM

Stevan listened silently as everyone discussed and weighed the options, always respectfully turning his gaze to the next speaker.

 

When the topic of splitting up arose, however, he said, "We're under strict orders to stay together. There's strength in numbers, and if we separate, Letom could lead a smaller group into a trap. I know it might sound ridiculous, but even so, we can't act against our leaders."

 

As more votes were cast, Yaroslava crossed her arms and scowled. "We all signed up to 'help people' - that's why we're here. That's why we're hunting Letom. But if we let ourselves get distracted every time something fishy comes up, we'll never catch him. We have one chance at a solid lead - now let's take it."

 

"You'd just dismiss the disappearances?" Stevan said, almost a little hotly. His own choice was clear, even if he was making an effort to remain impartial and let everyone else sort it out.

 

"No, but let a different team take care of those. We were formed specifically to hunt this bastard. We need to find him before he leads us off on some wild goose chase."

 

"I can see your point," Sebastian said at length, turning his gaze to Yaroslava. "I agree with her. We should go find this madman."

 

The Ebonguard turned her gaze to one of her compatriots: Ben. She nudged him in the ribs, and Jane retreated up to her master's broad shoulders. Ben just showed his gauntleted hands and shrugged.

 

"Well, you're probably right," he admitted. "Doesn't make me like it, though."

 

Stevan certainly looked like he didn't like it, either, but he consented to the now popular opinion. Rolling up the map, he said, "Very well, Deltalund it is, then. We'll head out for Killedam in less than an hour. Everyone get some food and drink before we ride."

 

 

((More info here.))


gallery_3_16_497424.gif


#111 Ratcatcher

Ratcatcher

    Yes, I also handle elemental rats

  • Nova Member
  • 801 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:12 AM

When Lucy came back with a plate of eggs, she arrived to discover that they already decided on going to the sanitarium. Sweet, she thought. I didn't think that'd be the popular vote. Famished, as she always was, she began scarfing down eggs in a charming and yet brutal way. Well, maybe it was just brutal. She was curious about what the madman would say... which brought up an interesting question.

 

She looked around. Augustus had been talking to Inquisitors for what seemed like eons... she wanted to ask somebody else about this one. Who was the leader of the Templars? Was it that really good-looking woman she was slightly jealous of ((Lady Tamaria))? She figured she'd go speak to her anyway. She stepped light-heartedly over to the woman, plate in hand. "Hey," Lucy said, smiling. "The eggs are good here, by the way... anyway, I was wondering, since you seem important and high-ranking... well I don't know a lot about the Templars... anyway, when we get to the asylum, who's going to be talking to Julius? I mean, we can't all speak at once!" Augustus chuckled, then her eyebrows furrowed. "...can we?"



#112 Burger Warrior

Burger Warrior

    Hulloo! :3

  • Nova Member
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

 

Mettius bit his lip as he listened to the many opinions getting thrown around. Why were these people even staying around discussing this? They had a clear shot at what was probably a cult, and one with Letom involved. And they would be saving countless lives! The Inquisitor grit his teeth, wondering why the Templars of all people seemed pretty split, at best. What was one man to dozens, if not hundreds?

 

As more votes were cast, Yaroslava crossed her arms and scowled. "We all signed up to 'help people' - that's why we're here. That's why we're hunting Letom. But if we let ourselves get distracted every time something fishy comes up, we'll never catch him. We have one chance at a solid lead - now let's take it."

 

"You'd just dismiss the disappearances?" Stevan said, almost a little hotly. Tibur knew he would’ve said as much and more, in a far less polite tone.

 

"No, but let a different team take care of those. We were formed specifically to hunt this bastard. We need to find him before he leads us off on some wild goose chase."


"I can see your point," Sebastian said at length, and Mettius was starting to rethink his position as the Templar turned his gaze to Yaroslava. "I agree with her. We should go find this madman."

 

Despite this, Stevan certainly looked like he didn't like it, but he consented to the now popular opinion. Rolling up the map, he said, "Very well, Deltalund it is, then. We'll head out for Killedam in less than an hour. Everyone get some food and drink before we ride."


Mettius Tibur nodded decisively, turning to grab something to eat. He blinked as he spotted Lucy quickly, noticing how she was just coming back with a plate of fresh food. Had she skipped the meeting?! The Ebonguard stiffly walked by her, stunned by the Channeler. Who the hell was she? Was this all some kind of joke to her? Tibur pulled his helmet off, tucking it under one arm so he could run a hand through his suddenly matted, sweaty hair. Okay, okay. Maybe… I’m overreacting a little. You’re just upset we’re not doing our real job, Mettius. Cool it.


Thus, Tibur forced himself to sit down, alone, at the counter, ordering a simple breakfast for himself. He was starting to run low on spare change. All because of a- shut it, Tibur!


-----


Irena sighed, not sure if the side she’d chosen in this debate was for the best. Frankly, she was more annoyed that their superiors had forbidden them from splitting up: despite the arguments of the younger Venator, Cathas truly believed that was the best way to handle this business, and the fact she’d been turned down without a real, meaningful explanation left her annoyed, to say the least. Still, she joined the crowd of warriors migrating to the kitchen to get their meal, nabbing her own plain fare before heading out to check on her mount in the stables. I need to simmer down a little… She decided silently.


tumblr_llkqvk7B7F1qbyfy7o1_400.gif?w=480


#113 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

    That was Dramatic...

  • Nova Patron
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

Malvolio grunted with approval as Deltalund was chosen as their destination. He spotted Cathas leaving the inn, most likely to prepare her horse for the coming ride, and wondered if he should follow her, or at least take care of his own mount, Greyhame. However, he opted to stay inside and get some food.

 

He noticed the older Venator, Hadrian, and moved over to him as everybody in the inn decided that then they would get something to eat.

 

"Good morning," he said bruskly "how was your night?

 

---

 

Evan was slightly disappointed that they had not chosen to go to Pigros, but he soon forgot about his disappointment when his stomach chose then to announce that it needed food.

 

After ordering a simple meal of bread, eggs and bacon, the Inquisitor sat down across from the Female Inquisitor that he had spoken to the previous evening. He petted Shade the hound before he turned to the other Inquisitor and said "Jambo, Sister, how fare you this day?"



#114 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

    Alpha Leader

  • Forums Administrator
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

Yaroslava turned to Evan as he approached and petted Shade, who wagged his tail in appreciation. "Jambo, Sister, how fare you this day?"

 

"As well as anyone else, I suppose," Yaroslava replied. She was still largely preoccupied glancing around at the others, very clearly wondering about this whole group thing yet again.

 

Once everyone had ordered some food and eaten their fill again, Stevan donned his helmet once more and said, "Time to go. It'll be several days of riding before we hit Deltalund - and at least another half a day to reach Killedam itself."

 

With that, everyone packed their things and left the inn. Stevan lingered a moment longer to pay the innkeeper and exchange some farewells before he, too, departed to mount his steed.

 

((AREA TRANSITION: ZONE - Iason House.))


gallery_3_16_497424.gif




Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

,