The Video Game News Thread

• Please log in to reply
7729 replies to this topic

#7721 DeadFire87

DeadFire87

Game Intel Master

• 1,127 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

THQNordic has failed me with their first announcement. 2 more to go...

Well Google is also planning a reveal all tomorrow. With a Stadia Connect video revealing prices, launch dates and so on.

<p><strong><span style="color:#3399ff;">Next Batch of consoles..... Or well the rumors.</span></strong></p><p> </p><p><strong><span style="color:#000000;">PS5</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB -  GPU - 12.9 Tflops <span style="color:#000000;"><strong>June? or Feb? 2020 <span style="font-size:10px;">Sony has gone off script. 2020 part is definite. </span></strong></span></p><p><strong><span style="color:#008000;">XB4</span></strong> - 8 Cores Zen 2 - RAM - 16+ GB - GPU - 12 Tflops.  <strong>JUNE 2020</strong></p><p><strong><span style="color:#ff0000;"><span style="font-size:12px;">Switch 2/ Switch Go?</span></span></strong> - <span style="font-size:10px;">Even more Portable Switch. Rumor of a better SoC that is cooler and faster maybe more powerful. Extra Mario Mushrooms.  </span></p><p> </p><p><span style="font-size:12px;">-<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.tapatalk...4gaming/'><spanstyle="color:#ff0000;">New Tapatalk thing. They destroyed my old board.</span></a></span>

#7722 Dalton Westmoore

Dalton Westmoore

That was Dramatic

• Nova Member
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Known insider Shinobi062 is teasing... well, I'll let you work out this extremely subtle hint:

D8PTAG_UwAAt3NB.jpg

Has he ever said anything about Doomguy being in Smash? I've heard the rumors, and if they're true, we're in for a hell of a time. ;)

#7723 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

qlm7xjdftn231.png

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#7724 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:05 PM

Baldur's Gate 3 is real and being developed by Larian Studios, the studio behind Divinity: Original Sin

Part of me is dumbfounded that we're actually getting a Baldur's Gate 3, after all this time and three canceled projects later. The other part of me is already tempering my expectations. It's not the original team (goes without saying), no Infinity Engine (odds of that happening are astronomical), 5E ruleset, likely that no characters from the original series show up unless The Sundering plays with some things, and likely a new battle system that isn't Real-time w/ Pause. Co-op is a good thing though.

#7725 Saber-Scorpion

Saber-Scorpion

Not all who wander are lost.

• Webmaster
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:20 PM

Part of me is dumbfounded that we're actually getting a Baldur's Gate 3, after all this time and three canceled projects later. The other part of me is already tempering my expectations. It's not the original team (goes without saying), no Infinity Engine (odds of that happening are astronomical), 5E ruleset, likely that no characters from the original series show up unless The Sundering plays with some things, and likely a new battle system that isn't Real-time w/ Pause. Co-op is a good thing though.

So... probably not really Baldur's Gate 3 then. :P Probably just a random new D&D 5e (ugh) game using the Baldur's Gate name for nostalgia bux. Yeah, I know Baldur's Gate is a city in the forgotten realms, but no one buys a game called "Baldur's Gate" because they're such a big fan of that fictional city, lol.

I think Larian are great - I love Divinity: Original Sin - but I can't help being pessimistic about the idea that anyone could revive the true spirit of the BG series. Closest new game I've played to the feel of the original engine is Pathfinder: Kingmaker, by Owlcat. But I'm not sure either Owlcat or Larian has the writing chops to come up with a good enough story. Still, I'm glad it's Larian and not Beamdog.

As for old characters showing up, they might bring back Minsc through some gimmick or other, since he's shown up in some recent comics and games.

-Scorp

latest_comic.png

tinyicon_facebook.pngtinyicon_twitter.pngtinyicon_flickr.pngtinyicon_deviantart.pngtinyicon_tumblr.pngtinyicon_pinterest.pngtinyicon_instagram.pngtinyicon_patreon.png

"Come a day there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all..."

#7726 Xero

Xero

I will be the last

• Nova Member
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 01:42 PM

So... probably not really Baldur's Gate 3 then. :P Probably just a random new D&D 5e (ugh) game using the Baldur's Gate name for nostalgia bux. Yeah, I know Baldur's Gate is a city in the forgotten realms, but no one buys a game called "Baldur's Gate" because they're such a big fan of that fictional city, lol.

I think Larian are great - I love Divinity: Original Sin - but I can't help being pessimistic about the idea that anyone could revive the true spirit of the BG series. Closest new game I've played to the feel of the original engine is Pathfinder: Kingmaker, by Owlcat. But I'm not sure either Owlcat or Larian has the writing chops to come up with a good enough story. Still, I'm glad it's Larian and not Beamdog.

As for old characters showing up, they might bring back Minsc through some gimmick or other, since he's shown up in some recent comics and games.

Yeah I'm not holding my breath that it's going to have the same "spirit" as the original games. Probably unlikely that it will involve anything Bhaalspawn related, which is what really defined the original series. Also, I'm not positive but I think Chris Avellone may have a hand in writing BG3 which would be one very good redeeming thing.

As for Minsc, that's kind of what I was referring to. I know there was some kind of cataclysmic event that had happened with The Sundering, and I had seen him pop up in some things even though I believe we're almost 100 years after the events of BG 1&2 at this point. Then again I have no idea what the timeline for anything recent looks like so I'm really grasping at air here.

#7727 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,229 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 04:46 PM

I can't keep up with all the E3 all over the place, and it's not even E3 yet.

The new Darksiders game is a Diablo-like top down loot thing:

Google Stadia is 'coming out', or going live, I suppose, in November this year, starting with a $10 a month paid subscription that gives you up to 4K streaming and access to some kind of Xbox Game Pass style of library of 'free' games (you still have to buy new games, though). There'll also be a free subscription coming in 2020, limited to 1080p with no 'free' games. And there's a 'Founder's Edition' pack with a controller, a Chromecast and a few months of subscription for $130.

This looks like a cool game:

It's looking like The Witcher 3 is almost definitely coming to Switch.

Destiny 2 is going free-to-play on September 17th, including what seems like all the currently available stuff (but still with paid expansions in future). The PC version is leaving Battle.net and going to Steam, and there'll be cross-play across all platforms (PC, XB1, PS4 and Stadia).

#7728 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,229 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:11 AM

OK people, we're going back to the world of non-E3 video game news with a banger: Chinese game accessory manufacturer HonSon has started listing accessories for a 'Switch Mini'. The same Switch Mini that hasn't been officially revealed yet. Potentially, this Switch Mini:

switchmini.900x.jpg

This could be it, baby. It looks like pretty much exactly what I wanted, with integrated JoyCons, smaller size, still compatible with a Dock and even a d-pad for good measure. Hopefully we'll have the official reveal soon, because I need to have one of those in time for Astral Chain at the end of August.

#7729 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,229 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:36 PM

The Switch Lite is officially unveiled:

Aaaaand they Nintendo'd it. It doesn't dock. You can't connect it to a TV. It's a Switch that doesn't switch. It took them exactly one revision to remove the best feature of the console.

Oh well, there's still another Switch revision to set my hopes on, though rumours of a 'Switch Pro' may have been greatly exaggerated. Right now it's looking like there's a minor internal upgrade coming to the original Switch model. Think something along the lines of the Xbox One to Xbox One S upgrade; just a slight change to more power-efficient internals, maybe more storage, nothing really significant to the end product of playing video games but it'll probably make it cheaper for Nintendo to manufacture. Hopefully that one isn't too far away, because I want a Switch but I still need it to dock.

#7730 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,229 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

Aaaand here it is:

Updated-Switch_07-17-19.jpg

Nintendo has announced a new revision of the Switch which seems basically identical to the original except that the battery life is now significantly better. Going from 2.5 - 6 hours of play time for the original to 4.5 - 9 hours with this new one. The official specs they've released say that the new model is still using the same 4310mAh battery as the original model, which means that extra battery life comes from more power efficient internals. Chances are that there won't be any significant performance upgrades with this new Switch, but, y'know, maybe.

It'll be out in September, presumably at the same time as the Switch Lite.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)