1 reply to this topic

#1 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,895 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:57 PM

Greetings SSLFer's,

From one project unto the next.

The new project is the Cadillac Motor Car Division's version of the T71 light tank, the far more conventional design as compared to the Detroit Arsenal's proposal.

Let us begin with reference pictures:
Spoiler

Part 1. Current work time: 3 hours. Total work time: 3 hours.

Spoiler

P1.1: The T71 CMDC is a shorter vehicle than the T71 DA, due to the drive sprocket being in the front, meaning a front mounted transmission, and has a trailing idler like the M7 Medium Tank and M3/M5 Stuart of light tanks.

Spoiler

P1.2: Like the M7 Medium Tank, the T71 CDMC has 3 differently sloped plates for the front hull. This take me a long time to figure out.

Spoiler

P1.3: Went back and undid the entire front hull to see if I could figure it out by changing the distance of the lower glacia plate.

Spoiler

P1.4: I eventually gave up on the slope technique I used on the M6A1 and M6A2E1 HT's and went with a boring plate technique.

Spoiler

P1.5: I redid the headlights and finished the cupola for the Driver. Getting the fenders all figure out as well.

Spoiler

P1.6: Again went with a brick solution for the sloping of the rear hull. I quickly learned this vehicle was going to be a challenge even though I was flying through this build.

Spoiler

P1.7: I considered this done for the rear hull, but went back to add the tail lights to the vehicle. I don't think I have a screenshot of it.

Spoiler

P1.8: This is when I hit a wall. The turret, not only is the gun mantlet perfectly translate into being 1x1 which makes it hard to do that on a turret that is 8 studs in diameter, but this is also an asymmetrical turret. The Americans loved to make these in the 50's and 60's. Funnily enough, American tanks with oscillating turrets were the only ones with symmetrical turrets at the time.

Spoiler

P1.8: I copied the T71 DA turret into the file to copy the gun over. They're using the same gun so, yeah. You also see me using a very odd mounting system for the gun. We'll see how that goes.

Spoiler

P1.9: The turret looks alright...

Spoiler

P1.10: Here you see that I copied the cupola turret over from the T71 DA onto the T71 CMCD, again they're the same. American's started mounting these fat cupola turrets on all of their tanks to provide the commander access to a MG without exposing himself. I think they're pretty cool, but nowadays we have CROWS on our Abrams'.

Spoiler

P1.11: Here you see me starting from scratch with a new turret design, while still trying to get the 1x1 gun mantlet to work. The thing about that though is that messes up everything else. So, I think I'm going to ditch trying to get it 1x1 and make it 1x2. Luckily the T71 DA had a 2x2 'gun mantlet'.

Cheers.

Edited by Neyo Wargear, 12 February 2019 - 08:58 PM.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

#2 Neyo Wargear

Neyo Wargear

Gloria fortis miles

• 1,895 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:50 PM

Part 2. Current work time: 30 minutes. Total work time: 3 hours and 30 minutes.

Spoiler

P2.1: Decided to scrap the 1 wide gun mantlet and went for the simpler 2 wide gun mantlet.

Spoiler

P2.2: Top of the turret all done.

Spoiler

P2.3: The turret is complete.

Spoiler

P2.4: Back of the completed turret.

Spoiler

P2.5: Marriage of the turret and hull. The build is complete.

Spoiler

P2.6: Back of the completed build.

Spoiler

P2.7: Both T71's side by side.

Spoiler

P2.8: Both T71's again.

Spoiler

P2.9: Bird's eye view of the two.

Not in the mood to do a write-up right now.

Cheers.

Omnius mille passus expeditio, omnis fossa bellum.

KY0FhTX.jpg
"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users