• Please log in to reply
856 replies to this topic

#101 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:40 PM

And then the red matter makes a black hole and they have to go to full wartime emergency power to outrun it and Scotty says the line and they jettison the Warp Cores or whatevs and everything explodes? God what a great movie that was.

I hate that part...

1. Why did Kirk stick around to blow up the Narada after they refused help? They were in a a FRIGGIN BLACK HOLE! The ship was being torn apart from the inside out, they were screwed either way, why waste the time and risk the Enterprise getting pulled in too?

2. Detonating the warp core is the absolute STUPIDEST idea ever in that situation. It would be like you car was being dragged backward no matter how hard you hit the accelerator, so the best solution you can come up with is THROWING OUT THE ENGINE.

3. I hate that stupid red matter, it's lazy writing when your plot device is literally just a giant red ball of goo that reacts to PLOT.

Yeesh...

Let me be clear, I actually rather like the '09 movie. Does it beat First Contact and Wrath of Khan? No, but compared to the others it's still a solid "average", and even a bad Star Trek movie is better than a general bad movie.  There's just a few parts of it that really piss me off and they just so happen to be the parts other people seem to like, for reasons I can't comprehend.

Last Series Watched: RWBY

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

Last Blog Entry: On Gods and Daemons____Last Book Read: Prospero Burns

#102 Ocelot

Ocelot

NOW I'm a little motivated

• 8,215 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

Does it beat First Contact and Wrath of Khan? No, but compared to the others it's still a solid "average", and even a bad Star Trek movie is better than a general bad movie.

X4anY.gif

Anyway, you nerds can keep your dumb Stark Tech or whatever because some real movie news has just popped up. A new set photo from the filming of John Wick 2:

CWR07BUWwAAfYJl.jpg

Morpheus/Neo reunion confirmed! YOU THINK THAT'S AIR YOU'RE BREATHING? I swear to God if they fight I'm going to die for reals. I'm going to die in the Matrix and my body's going to make it real.

GIVE IT TO ME

giphy.gif

#103 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:53 PM

All I really want out of this movie is a worthy successor to my beloved 2009 movie. You dorks can keep your classic Star Trek where they don't get into rad space battles and base jumping swordfights all the time. My biggest disappointment with this trailer is not that it betrays the Star Trek tradition or whatevs, it's just that I don't know if they can make an exciting spaceship adventure when the spaceship gets destroyed and they're marooned on a planet for the whole movie. Running around on the Enterprise with lens flares everywhere is the best part of Nu Star Trek.

Remember in Star Trek '09 when Spock is flying the spinny red matter ship straight at the Nerada, and Eric Bana's all "FIRE EVERYTHING!" and they do and then suddenly the Enterprise BANGS in out of Warp and pewpewpewpewpewpewpews all the missiles into oblivion with a million billion lasers? And then the red matter makes a black hole and they have to go to full wartime emergency power to outrun it and Scotty says the line and they jettison the Warp Cores or whatevs and everything explodes? God what a great movie that was.

X4anY.gif

Ocey do you have a girlfriend because I will move to Australia

(Also, that is the best gif, I've been laughing at it for five minutes straight. :P In my defense it is also getting very late here)

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#104 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

I'll just be over here with the losers then I guess... :(

Last Movie Watched: Girls und Panzer der Film____Last Game Played: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Playlist of the Moment: Panzercraft____Song of the Moment: Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes/Glitch Mob

#105 Spark

Spark

"I think we're just getting started..."

• Nova Member
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:04 PM

Nothing quite like sleep-deprived laughing fits. That Mantis is a riot, though.

'09 was great, but Darkness was only good when it wasn't making overt references to Wrath of Khan (which is like, 70% of the movie.) Beyond looks to fall somewhere in between that. Of course, my dung detector is a little faulty.

Your Resident Halo Nerd

The New Halo Thread

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is coming to Steam

Halo Infinite  - Holiday 2020 (PC/Xbox One/Xbox Scarlett)

"The Reclamation has begun...and we are powerless to stop it."

-Shadow-of-Sundered-Star "The Didact" (Halo 4, 2012)

#106 God-Emperor Thrawnie

God-Emperor Thrawnie

REPENT

• Super Mod
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:31 PM

*Watches trailer*

Y7l0LCj.gif

I...

I don't really know,

I mean,

it seems

i don't

there are things happening

i really dont know whats actually going on here really

im not really feeling thgins

maybe?

i dont know

maygbe

srtarbt tregjk

#107 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,215 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:42 AM

Simon Pegg sez:

"It was very action-packed -- yeah, it was surprising. I find [the trailer] to be the marketing people saying 'Everybody come and see this film, it's full of action and fun!'...

There's a lot more to [the movie] than that. I didn't love [the trailer] because I know there's a lot more to the film. There's a lot more story, and a lot more character stuff, and a lot more of what I call 'Star Trek stuff.'

But, you know, [Paramount has to] bring a big audience in; they've got to bang the drum. To the 'Star Trek' fans, I'd say hang in there and be patient."

I'm perfectly willing to believe it's just bad trailer-cutting; there's so much of that going around these days anyway. Basically every modern trailer (other than the Star Wars ones) is just a truncated version of the entire movie spoiling almost every major story beat, with a spot in the middle where the music stops so one character can drop a cringey joke and then a big CG explosion at the end.

k, rant time: I saw the Point Break remake trailer (which looks terrible) ahead of Star Wars today and, since I obviously know how it all goes because it's a remake, I know for a fact that they showed the whole movie in the trailer. Every major event in the movie, in chronological order, right up to the killer wave that Bodhi (who is now some French guy instead of Swayze) surfs at the very end. Remember that movie about Joseph Gordon-Levitt tightrope walking between the two World Trade Centre towers? The trailer showed the whole first act of him coming to New York all smug and confident, the whole second act of him being scared and not knowing if he could go through with it, then just kept going all the way up to him actually stepping out onto the tightrope. And it's based on a true story, so you just have to go to Wikipedia to see if he makes it (spoilers: he does), and you don't ever need to see the movie! I just can't imagine how it has become the standard thing to show everything in the trailer. 

#108 Risk

Risk

• Nova Member
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

You have to realize that this is a Star Trek movie being directed by the sober spiritual successor of the drunken comedic reliever, Scotty. I think it could go either way, but every one of these reimagined Star Trek films changes the mood and theme, the first one was action packed, the second one was action packed with DARKNESS, what's the next one gonna be?

Spoiler

xgd0s9.jpg

#109 Wang Fire

Wang Fire

Accidental Mahlok Expert

• Nova Member
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

Spoiler

Yeah, that actually sounds about right.  What does God Shatner's ego need with a directing job?

#110 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:54 AM

00-ew1397-1398-marvel-first-look.jpg

Marvel, thank you for being awesome.
tumblr_memo4zzlxh1qa2mdz.gif?w=584

gTAoKX.gif
Oh no, it's Sauron! Act natural!

#111 broons

broons

pew pew pew

• 5,191 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:55 AM

Sigh.

lWZ8e6F.png

#112 The Doctor

The Doctor

Doctor Funkenstein

• Nova Member
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:23 AM

Yeah, alright, I can roll with that.

It should also be noted I have pretty drunk.

v0tzQP.gif

#113 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:49 AM

He's such a yucky-looking creature, that man. There's nothin' for it, Mr. Frodo. He can't be fixed.

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

#114 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

What is with this lack of enthusiasm? I never owned any Doctor Strange comics, but I used to own a little reprint booklet, and I loved his his origin and his powers and everything. And instead of trying to make everything 'realistic' and 'grounded' and everything Doctor Strange should not be, they nail the costume (cape, amulet and everything) and give him a cool magic rune effect to boot.

Plus, Cumberbatch is perfect for the role. When I heard he was playing Strange, I was thinking, "Well, of course! Who else could do it?"

gTAoKX.gif

#115 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

He looks appropriately silly in his costume and I approve. :)

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#116 Oufy

Oufy

Hey everyone.

• Nova Member
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:35 AM

But wait, there's more!

Spoiler

That's part of his origin story.

Spoiler

Some sort of trippy magic thing.

Spoiler

"This is my good side."

Spoiler

SANCTUM SANCTORUM

Spoiler

Shut up and take my money!

--and I'm gonna be waiting until November next year?
:/

gTAoKX.gif

#117 Ocelot

Ocelot

• 8,215 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:03 AM

POPULAR

I think Crumblythatch is pretty much the perfect casting for Dr Strange, and I'm sure it'll be a totally enjoyable movie like all the other Marvel solo ones, but eeeeeeeh. Dr Strange? Magic spells and stuff? Photoshopped sparklies? You have no power here, Marvel; we're all about Star Wars now.

It'll pass, of course, but right now I'm at peak Star Wars hype, and it's going to take an awful lot to break me out. I'm talking a surprise Civil War trailer, with full shots of Cap fighting Black Panther, and I'm not even totally confident about that. They might have to break the 'IN CASE OF EMERGENCY' glass on Cap's shirtless scene.

Spoiler

#118 Joe

Joe

Sergeant Major

• Nova Member
  • 2,839 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

Some images from the Assassin's Creed movie starring Michael Fassbender have begun to show up. Considering the cast and director behind this, it may actually turn out to be... good? Macbeth was amazing.

8p2UCrw.jpg

SNXjp5V.jpg

XIultNC.jpg

Part of the modding team for Western Europe 479-867 - The Winter King, a dark ages mod for Crusader Kings II set in the British Isles and Gaul.

#119 Ryoma

Ryoma

There's something weird in Gravity Falls.

• Nova Member
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

Any idea if this movie will keep the sci-fi stuff in it as well?

256d2e8.gif1znoity.gifzkpr3q.gif

If I'm not the smart guy, who am I?

#120 Maverick-Werewolf

Maverick-Werewolf

Alpha Leader

• Forums Administrator
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

Certainly looks like it just from that last image, unfortunately...

gallery_3_16_497424.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users