#1 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

POPULAR

tumblr_inline_o84u5yk1i41rpr0bp_500.jpg

“The Pillars could pave no road man would follow, thus instead they hold aloft the earth that he might make his own… and does not break it into dust.”

In the final chapter of the Age of Elves, Turolt the Great brought the squabbling tribes of man together, rising up against the Empire that oppressed their people and vanquishing the Dragon Emperor. The Druids, appointed messengers of the great Pillars of the Earth, exiled the Elves to the Faery Realm from whence they came, making man once more the master of his world.

It has been centuries since the glorious days of Turolt Who Unites Men. The Druids grow aged and weary, and as their wisdom fades, so too do the bonds that united men in friendship and peace, giving way to treachery and rumors of war. From within brother raises sword and spear against brother, and from without the once mighty borders of the Five Kingdoms have grown vulnerable to barbaric men, those who know not the ways of Turolt or of the Pillars and see only opportunity.

In this dark age of strife and bloodshed there is once again need of those with noble hearts, who might once again bring men together as in the days of Turolt, and once again make man the master of his world.

---

This world is something I’ve messed with off and on over the past few years in an effort to create my own 'perfect' fantasy setting that appeals to my own weird tastes in dark ages history/mythology and low fantasy. This month was World-Building June, which gave me an opportunity to organize my notes, put thoughts into writing, and write some entirely new ones in areas I hadn't previously considered.

As PotN was originally conceived as an open RPG setting, much of the lore/writing/rambling is tailored towards this world as a game system rather than a specific single storyline. That's kind of the norm for universes around SSLF, but some of the prompts seemed more geared toward written storylines than gaming settings to me.

Anyway, this was a lot of fun to do and I will try to expand on it as I answer questions, do some polishing, and of course start replacing some of these placeholder images I've accumulated in such mass quantities. (There was originally much more illustration but unfortunately the image limit made it necessary for me to jettison all but the bare essentials. This may change in the future but for now it's more words than reference imagery, sorry.)

Table of Contents

(Sorted weird due to odd arrangement of WBJ topics, will adjust in the future)

1. Geography

Spoiler

2. People & Races

Spoiler

3. Paths of the Nomad (Classes)

Spoiler

4. History

Spoiler

5. Architecture

Spoiler

6. Economy

Spoiler

7. Hierarchy, Power, & Governance

Spoiler

8. Religion & Cosmology

Spoiler

9. Languages

Spoiler

10. Superfauna

Spoiler

11. The Temperaments

Spoiler

12. Food

Spoiler

13. Technology

Spoiler

14. Magic

Spoiler

15. Fashion

Spoiler

16. Arms

Spoiler

17. Armor

Spoiler

18. War

Spoiler

19. Fun

Spoiler

20. Work

Spoiler

21. The Heavens

Spoiler

22. The Frontier

Spoiler

23. The Backpack

Spoiler

24. Art

Spoiler

25. Transportation

Spoiler

26. Major Figures & Important Players

Spoiler

27. Communication

Spoiler

28. Weather

Spoiler

29. Disasters

Spoiler

30. Orders, Guilds, and Societies

Spoiler

There may be some formatting oddities here and there, as the transition from blog posts into the forum editor was... less than smooth. I'll be fixing it over the next few weeks but if something sticks out that I might miss feel free to let me know!

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#2 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

Character Guides

Since this is basically a brand new setting this section is here to help make up for the absence of official art, writings, stories, and other material that might normally exist in other settings to help players create their own characters and backstories. As the setting gets older and more reference material becomes available it will get easier to understand, but for now this is here to fill a void I feel is present in many roleplaying settings both new and familiar.

These chapters contain useful additional information for people developing characters, such as further details into the workings of the Paths, extra notes on cultures and nationalities, and some guidelines for character inventories. This section will be expanded further as questions arise or I otherwise feel that something may be unclear.

1. The Nations: Who Am I?

Spoiler

2. The Paths: How Do They Work?

Spoiler

3. The Backpack: What Should I Have?

Spoiler

4. Tone & Anachronisms

Spoiler

Posted Image

"As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy." - Christopher Dawson

#3 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

[Reserving for future use]

Posted Image

#4 Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Dr. Dood von Doodstormer

Bane of Anarchy

• Nova Member
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:09 PM

[Reserving for future use]

[Last one, it's safe now]

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users